Your bikes from beginner level on

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 05 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I know it was Hyside's in late '91/early '92, because they had the wreck of my FZR and I went to see it there when I was up and about again.
Never met Mr. Dunn or knew of him.
Tbh, I didn't know any of them beyond popping in now and again. They got a bit of a reputation as Street Machine, gossip went around.
Back then he had longish black hair and black beard. Now he looks like the bloke who collected Frodo in his wagon and sent him off on his adventures (Gandalf??).

I put my chair on his foot at a birthday bash once and instead of saying ouch he stared at me for about 30 seconds then his hand shot out and he gave me a CD of music his amateur band had made (Blackhole Monster). I still play it in the car, they were bloody good, but only meet and do anything every few years when they feel like it.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 05 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Didn't realise you knew the delights of this area before mate.
I lived in Dagenham back then, near the Eastbrook, did my lessons and part 1 test at the back of Barking Police station. Did my part 2 test in East Ham (failed) and Hornchurch (passed).

Went out with a girl from Five Oaks Lane for about 5 years, so Collier Row was on the way to and from her house for me. Did my very first driving lesson from there a few hours after the great storm of 1987.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:32 - 05 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
martin734 wrote:
My next bike was a Honda DT125

but was it actually

It was, and I paid the princely sum of 7000 Shekels for it (about £1600)

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 05 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean this Honda?

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/moto_gallery/YAMAHADT125X-1481_1.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 05 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Did my part 2 test in... Hornchurch (passed).

Snap! Smile
Although I was living in Hainault then.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:51 - 05 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Doh. Thank you for pointing out my stupidity, Embarassed

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 05 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various field bikes then a TS50X on the road when I was 16 (crap), followed by putting my A100 field bike on the road for when I was 17. Crap but reliable and I would have another. Then passed test and got my first Suzuki X5, cheap and tired but a step up, electric start and rev counter. Then became skint between college and starting a job so swopped X5 for a tired but functional C90 bitsa. Once I started earning I got my mitts on an RD350N which I crashed into a ditch. Repaired it and sold it to find my first GSXR400RKSP, had no issues with that other than trying to die by riding like a twat in a group every Sunday. Had a couple of years on that then bought a GSXR 750L and chilled out a bit. This takes me through to about age 25, i also had various shitty work hacks upto this point as I hadn’t passed my car test.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 05 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki X1 50
Honda CB100N
Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo
Kawasaki 750H2C
Honda CB400N Superdream
Suzuki GSXR750
Suzuki GSXR1100
Yamaha FZ750
Suzuki RG500
Yamaha RD350YPVS (x2)
Kawasaki GPz1100
Yamaha FZR1000EXUP
Kawasaki Z650B
Kawasaki 750H2B
Kawasaki Z1
Kawasaki Z650F1
Suzuki SV650
Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer (x5, one after another)
Triumph Street Triple R.

Also, a Z650F2 before I passed my test, a repair job sold on, and a Kawasaki GPz305 I never got to ride.

I don't regret going big straight from my test, I've enjoyed all of them (except, yes, you've guessed it, the Superdream!).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:39 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
yen_powell wrote:

Snap! Smile

#metoo.

Got lucky on the day of my test - the examiner was bemoaning his BMW having gone in for servicing and not emerged back out again, so he followed me in a car. He didn't follow me for very long as traffic was shit and I was 'making progress' Laughing

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

#metoo.

Got lucky on the day of my test - the examiner was bemoaning his BMW having gone in for servicing and not emerged back out again, so he followed me in a car. He didn't follow me for very long as traffic was shit and I was 'making progress' Laughing
I got lost on mine, went the wrong way up a one way street, went above the speed limit. I was only supposed to do a figure of 8 round some streets back to where he stood. I was nearly crying when I got back. The examiner then told me I'd passed. I hugged a passing old lady who looked scared, ripped my L plates off and wobbled dangerously home, stalling left right and centre from nerves.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
yen_powell wrote:

#metoo.

And a 4th to pass in Hornchurch Mr. Green

I live about 2 minutes from the test centre - they don't do bikes anymore though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

Da 'ornchurch crew? What do we have? A gang? A movement? Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:36 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Suzuki X1 50
Honda CB100N
Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo
Kawasaki 750H2C
Honda CB400N Superdream
Suzuki GSXR750
Suzuki GSXR1100
Yamaha FZ750
Suzuki RG500
Yamaha RD350YPVS (x2)
Kawasaki GPz1100
Yamaha FZR1000EXUP
Kawasaki Z650B
Kawasaki 750H2B
Kawasaki Z1
Kawasaki Z650F1
Suzuki SV650
Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer (x5, one after another)
Triumph Street Triple R.

What the fucking hell is the wet dream doing in that list?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have asked myself that question many times Laughing

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
c_dug wrote:

Da 'ornchurch crew? What do we have? A gang? A movement? Laughing

Can't believe I'm about to confess this as an adult, but back when I was chavvy teenager there were 4 or 5 of us with 50cc's and we called ourselves 'HPC' Hornchurch Ped Cred Embarassed

Yes, we were those teenagers Laughing

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, you were 'Little Ronnie Ring Ding, He's a Throttle Happy Chappy'?

That was a sticker on my toolbox, must have come out of some bike magazine.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:25 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:
Started on a Yam SR125 for a year.

If I'm honest it taught me the basics like not falling off and getting used to riding on the road.

But I think after a while I hit a plateau because of the bikes limitations. It wasn't teaching me much about cornering lines,overtaking, throttle control or putting power down.

My observation is that they can build bad habits. I'm stuck on a 125 for the foreseeable future and I am a bit lazy with the controls. I can just dump the clutch, give it a handful of revs, slam on the front breaks, with no problems because its so unresponsive. I'm sure when I get on a big bike I'm going to forget and dump the clutch, and end up with one wheel pointing the sky a few times before I un learn that habit.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD200
TEST
RD350b
ss50
ts100
gp100
GS750
CB400four
CX500 Eurosport
Laverda Jota
GT550
BMW R80RT
BMWR80RT again
CB500
C90
ST1300 pan
CB500 again
Fazer FZ6
MSX125 Grom

I think that is all but having been in the trade fro years may have missed some
If what I looking at today is good Honda NC750XDCT will join te list

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off road and my 2nd bike was a KX500. That's pretty much diving headfirst in to the deep end after dipping your toes in to see if the waters warm. I don't recommend this route, I nearly offed myself a few times on that thing, way overpowered for someone with a fairly limited amount of experience.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I started off road and my 2nd bike was a KX500. That's pretty much diving headfirst in to the deep end after dipping your toes in to see if the waters warm. I don't recommend this route, I nearly offed myself a few times on that thing, way overpowered for someone with a fairly limited amount of experience.

I do wonder how us oldies survived when reading all this 'no experience, ride a little bike first' sh1te from you youngsters. Wink

The starting bikes when you turned 17 back in the 'good old days' RD250s, X7's, KH250s weren't the best handling, had pretty mediocre brakes and engines with silly powerbands in wiggly waggly frames.

We survived. Well, I did. Dance!

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:35 - 09 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my car test when I was 19 as the RAF paid for it but I always wanted a bike...

I was almost 21 and had some money spare, so booked some leave and did my CBT/bike test in oner with no real riding experience other than a moped in Ibiza!

I did the 33bhp test, passed on a CG125 from the test centre and had already bought a VFR400 NC24 to ride afterwards. (The police couldn't check right?!)

It felt like a massive jump and it probably was! Eventually that gave up the ghost and I had a ZZR400 for a while until the gearbox went on it.

Then I went up to a ZX6R J1, I just about went through my 2 year restriction at that point so could ride it 'legally'. I had that bike for years and loved it!

As it got old and tired and the fuelling messed up on it, I bought a new Z750 thanks to Kawasaki's 0% finance deal. Rode around on that for 3 years and eventually sold it as I wasn't riding very much as I was cycling to work or getting the train.

After almost 2 years off, I got a new job which involved travelling Stansted Airport 4 days a week (90 mile round trip), so I bought a 'boring' commuter bike. ER6F in white. I rode it for 3 years in all weathers and put about 35k on it until it was stolen! I wasn't riding socially at that point..literally just to work and back.

Another 2 years off and I bought a Vulcan 650s new just before xmas 2019. Occasionally I ride to work on it, but its more of a toy/hobby/social ride thing now. I'm more of a chilled out rider now as I don't fancy losing my license doing twice the speed limit!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 09 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 months or so on an XT125 then onto a Street Triple.
Lifes to short to fvck about.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 09 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My motorcycling history. Have loved and lost and loved again.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=300931

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 10 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I do wonder how us oldies survived when reading all this 'no experience, ride a little bike first' sh1te from you youngsters. Wink

I agree.... But some bikes are a bit silly for a noob. That said, I've seen someone with more money than sense buy a 916 Senna as a first bike (20 years ago) CBT, test, 916. Still riding now - about to trade in a 1299 for a V4S.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:52 - 18 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

First six months on an RS50 until December 2007 (cbt taken in the summer).

Started lessons at 17 in November 2007. RS125 replaced the 50 around Christmas time. Used the RS125 for my lessons.

Passed my test (old 33hp A2) in April 2008. Triumph Speed Four 600cc restricted to 33hp from July 2008 until July 2010 when the restriction was removed/Licence automatically upgraded to full Category A.

Part ex'd the S4 for a Triumph Sprint ST1050 ABS in May 2015. Job moved to london for two years (took the train) so didn't get much chance to ride. Sprint's engine was fantastic but spongy brakes, a bit wallowy and the worst electrics known to man.

Part ex'd the Sprint for a late gen 1 Aprilia Tuono Fighter in June 2018. Only had it for about three months though. Horrific fuel consumption (circa 22mpg), no ABS (kind of felt superstitious getting rid of a bike with it) ajd a tank slapper that really made me loose trust in it.

Part ex'd that in September 2018 for a BMW K1200R Sport. Very nice bike. Enormously powerful and rock solid. Few issues with it made me nervous to keep it.

February 2019 Honda CBF500 ABS as a beater/project. Done a lot of work to it.

October 2019 part ex'd the 1200 for a K1300GT.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2