Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

One bike for me (20 yrs rider) and wife

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

phoebus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:30 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: One bike for me (20 yrs rider) and wife Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm looking for a bike that would suit me (riding for 20 yrs) and my wife who's currently in riding school (finally Smile). I'm 184cm and she's 172cm.

I've been riding TDM 900 for about ten years not and it's been really reliable and practical - if it was just me, I'd just keep it for as long as it works OK). Before the kids (they're few years now), we traveled in two with three cases, as of lately I mostly use it for commuting and a short hilly ride here and there so it's really been a good all-rounder. I love its practicality (looks OK with top case, it's nimble around the city, it has loads of low-end torque).

Now, my wife is 172cm and is learning to ride on school's MT07. While I find TDM as easy to drive as a scooter, she finds it a bit intimidating. She's also been told (read: scared) that she should "only look for bikes" with ABS (mine doesn't have it) so she's even more scared of it Smile

So now to the question. We're considering replacing the bike with something with ABS that would be both practical and less intimidating to her, but still had enough (low-down, I'm not a high-rev driver) grunt for me...once you get used to power... Smile

If it would be just me I'd be looking for either a dual-sport or a classic naked bike but if TDM is intimidating to her, duals-sports are out as most are higher...

I don't like MT07 a bit and would rather choose something "classier" like XSR700 because it has less plastic (she'll drop it sooner or later) and IMHO should be more suitable for top case / seat bag for city use. It needs to be "compatible" with full engine guard (Guzzi and it's sticking cylinders are out, I guess?).

I've also been looking (and fallen in love with) Z900RS and, on paper, it is lower, has less trail (lighter, more direct steering?) and a few kilos lighter but has 1cm higher seat. I know it's a classic 900cc bike so it isn't a beginner's bike Smile

Has anyone ridden both TDM and Z900RS? How do they compare in low-speed agility? What would you suggest instead? Maybe XSR700/900? SV650 (that would be quite a downgrade for me...) - and I prefer classic dials compared to those busy screens (XSR / SV) but there's not much to choose from in this range...

thanks Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:08 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a street triple?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My riding instructor's opinion "if the ABS kicks in you're doing it wrong" but at the same time "if you have the option to have ABS why wouldn't you?"

The only thing to consider with the XSR700 (as I was looking at same) is the slightly higher seat height vs. the MT07 - a fact pointed out to me by the dear members of this esteemed forum Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd seriously think about getting her her own bike if you can afford to run two. It's not a compromise then. You keep your TDM, she gets something soft and fluffy like a pink Suzuki Gladius that you wouldn't want to be seen dead on. Thumbs Up

phoebus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:20 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers...I'd also prefer her own bike but it wouldn't make sense as neither of us is doing much mileage lately :-/ So instead of one bike sitting in the garage, we'd have two sitting there - the idea of her license is also to move bike from the garage more often Very Happy

But true, I could keep my TDM and she could have something small (and fluffy haha) Smile))

Street triple is also nice thanks!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:31 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were getting her one of her own, an ER6 would be worth a look.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do, do miles though with 1 bike you can't do them together.

Also sharing a motorbike is the biggest "I've been pussy whipped", statement ever. It's like shared social media, a declaration to the world your balls are no longer attached.

Nayaiutb
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:08 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wr6133"]When you do, do miles though with 1 bike you can't do them together.

This was my first thought. with only one bike between the 2 of you how do you go out riding together except with one as pillion?

But then there's more even if you're not bothered about going riding together. There are all the little adjustments you make to fit the bike to the rider: gear lever and footbrake height, Handlebar position, clutch and brake lever angle and reach. It's not just a case of adjusting the mirrors to suit. It's unlikely that either one of you is going to be happy riding a bike that's setup for the other user. And compromising on these adjustments just means that no-one will be happy riding it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1