Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Protecting an Old Person's computer against hackers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Protecting an Old Person's computer against hackers Reply with quote

So over the weekend my 87-yr-old mum was the subject of a concerted hacking attack simultaneously via landline/mobile and laptop, which very nearly succeeded in extracting several thou from her bank. Still trying to figure out exactly how it happened - started off with an Amazon Prime Refund phone call, but somehow the bastards progressed it to being able to install remote control software (Zoho Assist) on her laptop - she swears blindly she never clicked on anything but the evidence suggests otherwise.

This is the second time it's happened now - frankly she's not really safe to be left in charge of a PC any more but taking it away from her would be akin to taking away a driving licence so I'm really trying to avoid that if I can. It's a bloody nightmare though.

I'm looking at various options - stopping her accessing online banking on the laptop and doing it instead on her iPhone is a good start I think. What I'm also wondering is, can I nail down her Windows 10 account in such a way that she (or hackers) can't install or run software? Can that be done and would it help? When I was a wage slave all the work PCs were restricted like that - or can you only do that with Windows Professional or something?

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:23 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had one of them calls from amazon, i just hung up, you could run a VPN, or run Linux if most of the stuff she does is online no worries over viruses, and there are some flavours that are very similar in structure to windows so not much of an issue in crossing over Thumbs Up

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely educate on phone calls. Make it clear that when you phone a bank, they have to verify who you are. People phoning her have to prove who they are. If in doubt, look up the phone number is the company online and phone the direct.

Linux is an option for security, but it can be more maintenance and not everyone has experience to support it.

Get them to use a password manager if you can (Bitwarden is free open source and great) and make sure to enable MFA on every account they can. Authy is perfect as it has Add Ons for chrome etc, mobile devices, and will backup online so there’s little risk of losing your tokens.

The default user accounts on windows are administrator accounts, always have a separate account for admins, and give her a basic account so she can’t make system level changes.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:21 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give her a tablet instead. Little iPad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:41 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux and 2 factor authentication on the banking.

Should be able to take windows admin privelage off her so she logs in as a user. Password the admin account and don't allow her user account install permissions. Then you'd have to enter the admin password to install any software.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Should be able to take windows admin privelage off her so she logs in as a user. Password the admin account and don't allow her user account install permissions. Then you'd have to enter the admin password to install any software.

Installs can still go to the Appdata directory without admin access.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to my 93 year old gran.

Got a call saying from bank and very nearly scammed her. Really shook her up and cancelled her internet for a while. Shes back online now though.

I had to have a talk with her about it. So can only really echo what's been said above; by questioning anyone who calls saying they from the bank/insert service here. Don't give any personal details and hang up if you feel uncomfortable about anything they are asking. A iPad isn't a bad shout as that's pretty locked down.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully my mum's one of those quaint, old school racists so any time an Indian accent appears at the other end of the phone she's instantly suspicious.

Another vote for iPad. Easy to use and they don't mind having a keyboard added to make it a faux-laptop.

For Windows 10 the only practical thing you can do is change the main login from an admin account to a user account. Prompts for most serious stuff with "your admin must log in..." but not everything unfortunately. There are other things you can do but they're mostly too awkward outside of a domain-server type setup.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:44 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Installs can still go to the Appdata directory without admin access.

Ahh.

"Progress".

So yeah. Linux then. And two factor authentication. So it texts her to ask if she really meant to transferr all her savings to Nigeria before it does so.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:07 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Give her a tablet instead. Little iPad.

I'd be tempted by this suggestion too. You can put iPads into restricted mode which means what you can do be can be quite controlled (we do this with the work iPads). Pretty sure the architecture of tablets is such that they can't be hacked in the same way as computers too? Especially if only approved apps are installed (you could potentially remove safari browser access as an extra insurance level because most services, e.g. weather, news, newspapers etc. all have standalone apps these days, so unless you're randomly browsing it'd be covered by those apps that operate within a "safe" area).

Regarding the 'phone calls, why not print her out a list of key numbers she could ever need, e.g. the bank's phone helpline, her insurance etc., then say that if she ever receives a call about anything she can just say that she'd rather hang up and call back herself, then use the number from her little list. Probably best to do this over her mobile though because unless things have changed, if someone calls the landline and she puts the receiver down, they could in theory stay on the line and when she dials a number (which wouldn't do anything) they could just say "Hello, PayPal services, how can we help?" etc. - with a mobile it's always a clean connection.

Last thing; my grandmother is a similar age and she's got a 'phone blocker so only pre-approved numbers can actually reach her (she got this because of marketing calls rather than scams); it means that key people can always ring but some unknown can't. There's always a risk with this approach that a number might not be foreseen, e.g. doctor/hospital.

It's really sad that scum prey on vulnerable members of society, makes my blood boil.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to do my yearly "IT Security Awareness Training". Apparently, "Smishing", is the fashionable thing now.

They send an SMS to a mobile that appears to be from something legit, victim follows the link (because most phones are online these days so you just touch the link), takes them to a legit looking page that is used to extract whatever information they are after.

This targets mobile devices so avoiding windows doesn't help. Apparently it's quite effective against those less technologically aware.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

With phones I always tell people to press and hold the link so the popup will show you where it will really go.

Likewise on a pc. Hover the mouse over a link before clicking it to reveal its destination.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem here, and I'm not trying to be rude, is not the computer, it's the user.

You ought ro report the attempt, especially as it got so far, to https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ (yes, it's a pain, but).

Next, does she really need to use banking online at all? If the answer is "she can live without it", then live without it, on anything and everything, continue to use t'internet for other stuff.

Is there another product that would do (telephone/video banking, which allows notes to be displayed to the bank's operative, e.g. "Likely to be scammed")? Can the bank (some can) set a daily low transaction payment limit, which would reduce a potential loss? Can & will the bank set up another account with a smaller maximum balance, to be fed from a "secure" one that does not have online access, which would limit any damage?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:36 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think I'm pretty tech savvy but I wont use online banking because I think it's too vulnerable. It only becomes a mild pain in the arse when someone will ONLY take a BACS paymet because I then have to go into my branch to do it.

I do however still get logout-rolled off the forum by Ste on a fairly regular basis.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I just had to do my yearly "IT Security Awareness Training". Apparently, "Smishing", is the fashionable thing now.

They send an SMS to a mobile that appears to be from something legit, victim follows the link (because most phones are online these days so you just touch the link), takes them to a legit looking page that is used to extract whatever information they are after.

This targets mobile devices so avoiding windows doesn't help. Apparently it's quite effective against those less technologically aware.

It doesn't help with things like people asking the government how they know that contact tracers are actually who they say they are if they call, and their reply is "they'll sound professional on the phone". Rolling Eyes

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:25 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bank sends a one time passcode text each time i log into online banking, perhaps you could set that up going to your phone, then you have to authorise any logins, so if she logs in she will have ring you to get the code Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot - some really helpful stuff here.

It's a really difficult situation to manage - it's a trade-off between my mum maintaining her independence and not getting ripped off.

She does have an iPad already and I'm definitely getting her off online banking on the laptop. As has been said, Apple stuff is much safer because at least the scammers can't use remote software on it. She still does have a need for the laptop for offline stuff, but I'm seriously considering just blocking its MAC address on her router, to prevent it accessing the internet at all.

At her age it's hard to implement too much change - eg moving to linux would be a total non-starter for her. And believe me, I've drummed into her (I thought) countless times who she should and shouldn't speak to on the phone, what she should and shouldn't click on etc, and I'm really banging my head against the wall with this.

Oh - the password manager suggestion... I thought I'd done really well a few years ago, when I managed to transfer her over from storing her passwords on a forest of post-it notes stuck on her monitor to KeePass. Well done me. Except what happened this weekend was that these arseholes ended up in control of her laptop and could see her desktop... I have to assume that she had the KeePass folder open so that all the user credentials stored in it were exposed. I've therefore had to go through the folder and change everything in sight. Suddenly, post-it notes not such a bad idea...

I've heard a bit more about what happened. (Tef alert) The whole thing went on for hours apparently. They told her that they'd refunded her the Amazon Prime fee, but oops, 'I've accidentally transferred an extra £5,000 and you now need to transfer it back please or I'm going to get fired'. At this point they had control of her laptop. Still can't work out how they managed that but presumably she must have clicked on something or visited a dodgy URL. So Mum logs into her bank account and can see that her account apparently contains £5k extra - because the bastards have edited her screen display to a figure just below her maximum overdraft facility. She duly tried to 'refund' it but the bank blocked it, thank God. At some point she ended up on the phone to the bank, at the same time the scammers are watching her on her webcam. The scammers are begging her not to dob them in to the bank because otherwise the 'employee' will 'lose their job' and their kids will starve. So the bank asks Mum 'do you know this person?' and Mum says 'yes'. Brick Wall To their credit, the bank then follows up with 'well, where do they live, then?' and of course Mum had no clue and the game was up. Bastards. Bastards.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to hear the bank are working proactively in that situation. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, there's a fella that does a YouTube channel where he deliberately strings along these scammers. He did a bit on the ol' account switcheroo.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm22FAXZMw1BaWeFszZxUKw

A fun way to keep up with the latest scams Smile

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

She does have an iPad already and I'm definitely getting her off online banking on the laptop. As has been said, Apple stuff is much safer because at least the scammers can't use remote software on it.

You can still screen share on an iPad, you just can't directly take control it. If she's already screen sharing with them, she's already likely do to whatever they say.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

She does have an iPad already and I'm definitely getting her off online banking on the laptop. As has been said, Apple stuff is much safer because at least the scammers can't use remote software on it.

You can still screen share on an iPad, you just can't directly take control it. If she's already screen sharing with them, she's already likely do to whatever they say.

Oh FFS. Still got to be better though.
How, incidentally? Would be interested for my own 'tech support' purposes (you've no idea how long it took me to talk her through how to change her iPad email password yesterday Rolling Eyes

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 08 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Splashtop both for ad-hoc remote control of customers pcs and to control my own work pc.

That can remotely connect to tablets and phones inc IOS (view only for IOS).

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 09 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

How, incidentally? Would be interested for my own 'tech support' purposes (you've no idea how long it took me to talk her through how to change her iPad email password yesterday Rolling Eyes

ZoHo (as mentioned earlier) have a product called Remotely - all you need to do is visit the link they send you, turn on screen recording, and they're in. Zoom also does it, Teams, TeamViewer .... take your pick.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 09 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

ZoHo (as mentioned earlier) have a product called Remotely - all you need to do is visit the link they send you, turn on screen recording, and they're in. Zoom also does it, Teams, TeamViewer .... take your pick.

Thanks. Apparently the functionality for this needs iOS 11 or later, and her old device is stuck on iOS 10. So that's something.

Update... she called me this morning to tell me that Amazon Prime had just phoned her again wanting to to charge her or something, and that she should "press 1" if she didn't want that. "So I pressed 1"... Brick Wall
See, this is what I'm up against. I may have slightly lost the plot with her. Think we're heading for a whitelist-only phone...

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 09 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be worth getting her a modern tablet then. That’s a VERY old OS, and it’s always best to stay up to date with regards to patching etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2