Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My new ride - BMW R Nine T

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 11 Jul 2020    Post subject: My new ride - BMW R Nine T Reply with quote

After some very good advice from some of the old guard on here, I decided to add a little more German boxer to my garage Very Happy

Really wasn't what I was looking for originally; I wanted something lighter. But as soon as I sat up on one and got moving I realised that it's true what they say - you can't test ride bikes on paper; it has to be right in the real world.

So here she is Cool

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50100522337_f6bfdd5c31_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50099716973_60def81476_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50099716168_9a896e7e82_b.jpg

First impressions - well I love the characterful burble and torque rock of the boxer. It has loads of torque and roll-on acceleration in any gear at any rpm is pretty brisk, but catch it in the right gear and use the revs and it flies well. It's stable, predictable and a lot lighter to chuck about than the numbers would suggest - it does require a bit more muscle to get it in there on the tight ones, but it's not problematic for it. Brakes are excellent, I mean plenty stopping power with great feel. ABS might kick in a bit early, mind - will have a more deliberate attempt with it tomorrow.

Really comfy, smooth, quiet yet lively and I think this one's gonna be with me for a long time Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 11 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, nice one....

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 11 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking looking bike. Thumbs Up

Had a decent ride of one a couple of years ago, found it very nice, but felt the shaft drive was totally at odds with the idea of anything being 'sporty'.

Do you notice it? Or is it just me not being used to shaft drives?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Cracking looking bike. Thumbs Up

Had a decent ride of one a couple of years ago, found it very nice, but felt the shaft drive was totally at odds with the idea of anything being 'sporty'.

Do you notice it? Or is it just me not being used to shaft drives?

I don't think it's just you; BMW make somewhat of a 'character feature of it' but I don't think it's just the fact it's a shaft, i think it's partly the boxer characteristics playing it up, too. Yeah, definitely noticeable, in fact I've sort of started using the throttle to bring the bike up more as a result of it, as putting a bit of throttle in tries to turn the bike over on its axis Laughing

I didn't really get into this one thinking 'sporty' so I guess on that front I'm not ever to be disappointed Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good shout. Bearing in mind I'm on the Isle of Wight so the roads are, um, rough at best, I found the suspension to be quite hard. Definitely felt like a sports biased bike to me at the time, by the end of the ride I was getting used to the torque reaction of the motor and being more careful on the downshifts as it didn't like being clattered down through the gears and got a bit upset.

I love the way they look though, it's one of my favourite bikes of modern times.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've got the 2018 model so there's a fair bit of adjustment in suspension; I've not fiddled with it yet but yes I'd agree it's quite firm. And yes, banging down from 3rd to 2nd ham fisted isn't a great feeling. But I've had it cantered over about as far as it'll go today and it's a big ol' stable thing with loads of grunt out of the bends.

120 miles today - really enjoyed it.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Thumbs Up

Been swapping with my mate on his R Nine T Racer lately and have to say its the least BMW BMW I've ever ridden, slick gearbox, motor spins up quick and excellent brakes, shame the position on the racer is a torture rack! That one there looks perfect!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxey wrote:
Very nice Thumbs Up

Been swapping with my mate on his R Nine T Racer lately and have to say its the least BMW BMW I've ever ridden, slick gearbox, motor spins up quick and excellent brakes, shame the position on the racer is a torture rack! That one there looks perfect!

Yeah the racer is a weird one to me - that looks like pain personified Laughing

I've got ~260 miles in the seat in one day done so far and I don't find it too uncomfortable but I think it could do with a better seat. I might look into that.

Otherwise, so far, so good Thumbs Up

FlemUrch
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:23 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Your bike looks amazing! I'm hoping to have one of those in my garage someday. Anyway, if you're looking to have spare aftermarket tires for your bike, feel free to check out 4WheelOnline. They have a couple of motorbike tires that are both stylish and very affordable.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlemUrch wrote:
Damn! Your bike looks amazing! I'm hoping to have one of those in my garage someday.

So what's in the garage now then?

FlemUrch wrote:
Anyway, if you're looking to have spare aftermarket tires for your bike, feel free to check out 4WheelOnline. They have a couple of motorbike tires that are both stylish and very affordable.

Not sure if carefully worded tinned pork based product? Shocked

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hired one of these for a day recently as I was intrigued. ('Pure' model)

I wanted to hate it because a) hipster and b) BMW but ended up having a great day on it. It's not massively powerful but it is a fruity 'braaaap braaap' plaything with character and what can be described as eager handling. I was comfortable and it was up for a laugh.

I ended up doing 12 hours on it, covering 744km with only 50 of those on autoroutes. Got both pegs down on the mountain roads when pushing on. Brakes are good, suspension is good too. Finishes were a bit average if you ask me.

In summary, a very good bike. Cool Thumbs Up Enjoyable but priced a bit high for my liking.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/20200825_172531.jpg

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting your new bike. Cool Better late than never.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Hired one of these for a day recently as I was intrigued. ('Pure' model)

I wanted to hate it because a) hipster and b) BMW but ended up having a great day on it. It's not massively powerful but it is a fruity 'braaaap braaap' plaything with character and what can be described as eager handling. I was comfortable and it was up for a laugh.

I ended up doing 12 hours on it, covering 744km with only 50 of those on autoroutes. Got both pegs down on the mountain roads when pushing on. Brakes are good, suspension is good too. Finishes were a bit average if you ask me.

In summary, a very good bike. Cool Thumbs Up Enjoyable but priced a bit high for my liking.

Pretty good summary of it - I certainly wouldn't have bought mine new and suffered the depreciation Laughing Mine was a £13k bike new and the guy spent a good ~£2k on extras for it, which he took off to sell separately as he knew he was on for a hiding otherwise. Let's just say I reckon he got thumped for nearly £6k to do his 3400 miles. Eek huh?

Interesting what you're saying about the finish - I find it extremely good, compared to my KTM that went before it, and of course the Enfield that sits alongside it, but that's not saying much Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Congratulations on getting your new bike. Cool Better late than never.

Indeed mate. I don't know why I deliberated for so long on shifting on the KTM.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Interesting what you're saying about the finish - I find it extremely good, compared to my KTM that went before it, and of course the Enfield that sits alongside it, but that's not saying much Laughing

Maybe it was the fact it was a Pure model, but the handlebars had a really cheap finish, the grips were worn and both levers were really nasty cheap looking items. Also the grey plastic tank cover was a bit budget looking. The dash was too basic for the price in my opinion too. I did however like the look of the seat, engine, pegs etc.

Do you rate the headlight? I thought it was a bit average.

Great bike though, really good fun. Perfect as a fun thing.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

Maybe it was the fact it was a Pure model, but the handlebars had a really cheap finish, the grips were worn and both levers were really nasty cheap looking items. Also the grey plastic tank cover was a bit budget looking. The dash was too basic for the price in my opinion too. I did however like the look of the seat, engine, pegs etc.

Yeah I think a lot of that is cheapened down on the Pure. The tank paint on mine is pretty deep and lustrous and the brushed aluminium sides are good quality. My levers and switchgear - I'd say - are the best feeling I've ever used although I don't really like the action of the indicator switch, but that's a minor niggle. I'm a BMW rider so of course I never use that anyway Laughing

The clocks are different on the Pure - from memory you get a mono-pod, whereas the proper one has two clocks. The only major omission for me is an actual fuel gauge rather than just a fuel light / range countdown. That annoys me on a £13k bike, for sure. I don't mind the absence of a TFT screen - I don't like them, and I think as a design feature they'll age badly on bikes that will be tomorrow's classics.

Kris wrote:
Do you rate the headlight? I thought it was a bit average.

Great bike though, really good fun. Perfect as a fun thing.

Shamefully I've not ridden it in the dark, so couldn't tell you I'm afraid.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 176 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1