Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which lightweight Naked bike for returning biker

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Which lightweight Naked bike for returning biker Reply with quote

Im not really a newbie but Ive not ridden anything big for decades apart from hire bikes on holidays etc.

Dont laugh (well you can) but my ride for years has been a Honda Vision 110cc which we cart around Europe on the back of a motorhome. During the Covid crisis I have used it a lot around the lanes and hills here (North York dales) and whilst its great to be out on two wheels its just not up to coping very well with the steep hills and I fancy something with a bit more ooomph I can chuck about a bit.

So long story shorter im thinking of getting a small naked A2 type bike for a bit of Dales (and maybe the Lakes) fun. I can ride anything on my licence but I really dont want something big and powerful.

So far my list is narrowed down to

KTM Duke 390
Kawazaki Z300
Yamaha MT03
Kawazaki Versys 300

Maybe the BMW 310 GS

Initially I really set my heart on the Duke 390 but lately the Z300 seems a better choice. A bit less Hooligan and in your face and the reports I have read seem favourable.

Ideally I would like to spend nearer £3k than £4k if for no other reason than I might stand a better chance of getting it approved by she who must be obeyed so the Z300 seems to tick that box more than the Duke.

Just after some opinions really. Which would be the most reliable, best ride etc.

The other issue I have is I live between Barnard Castle and Richmond and all the dealers that have these are miles away so I really want to narrow the field if possible before spending days travelling to find one.

Last edited by barryd on 14:31 - 12 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type in 250 or 300 or whatever into thief-bay.
It will give you a lot of ideas of what is available.

£2 - 3 grand budget, the worlds your oyster!
Most Hondas are well built and reliable as with most Jap bikes.

A friend of mine has got a YBR 250 : he says although not at the peak of 250 performance, it’s an easy bike to live with and still fun on B-roads.
The Kawasaki Versys 300 looks interesting, I’ve seen one in the flesh and it looked well put together, but that’s as much as I know about it.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Type in 250 or 300 or whatever into thief-bay.
It will give you a lot of ideas of what is available.

£2 - 3 grand budget, the worlds your oyster!
Most Hondas are well built and reliable as with most Jap bikes.

A friend of mine has got a YBR 250 : he says although not at the peak of 250 performance, it’s an easy bike to live with and still fun on B-roads.
The Kawasaki Versys 300 looks interesting, I’ve seen one in the flesh and it looked well put together, but that’s as much as I know about it.

Thanks

Never saw the YBR 250 before. Just had a look. They sound ok but at only 21bhp Im not sure it will be enough for my lardy arse and probably from time to time a Pillion.

I cant decide about the Versys 300. It looks a bit like a Trail bike which is no bad thing really. Not many for sale and a bit more than the Z300.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think honda make a z300

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
i don't think honda make a z300

Well spotted! Embarassed

Now corrected. Kawazaki Z300 not Honda. I think I was considering the Honda CB300r but have since discounted it.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you live why not look at trail style bikes there are some dealers for them.
The longer travel suspension, upright and high riding position and narrowness makes them very suitable, safer and fun on the bumpy dales roads and the odd trip over the 66 to the lakes would still be doable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:26 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like it, it fits and you have somewhere safe to store it; the ktm is a hoot. Capable, fun, what's not to like.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bmw310gs is fun and the r isn't bad either, and they had some deals on those and the gs. The cb500f isn't bad, just a little heavier.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Where you live why not look at trail style bikes there are some dealers for them.
The longer travel suspension, upright and high riding position and narrowness makes them very suitable, safer and fun on the bumpy dales roads and the odd trip over the 66 to the lakes would still be doable.

its a fair point. I think thats why I included the Versys 300 in the list. Watching the reviews it looks like it could handle a bit of rough. However many say the seat is really hard.

Ive not seen that many proper trail bikes though up for sale. Least not on Autotrader. In the 80s I had a DT250 which I bought for £150. There are a couple on Autotrader now as classics for about four grand!!!

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be surprised with the capabilities and efficiencies of the new bikes nowadays, 250-300cc's are good to start again. Mostly, riding skills will never be gone.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:53 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Which lightweight Naked bike for returning biker Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
Im not really a newbie but Ive not ridden anything big for decades apart from hire bikes on holidays etc.

Dont laugh (well you can) but my ride for years has been a Honda Vision 110cc which we cart around Europe on the back of a motorhome. During the Covid crisis I have used it a lot around the lanes and hills here (North York dales) and whilst its great to be out on two wheels its just not up to coping very well with the steep hills and I fancy something with a bit more ooomph I can chuck about a bit.

So long story shorter im thinking of getting a small naked A2 type bike for a bit of Dales (and maybe the Lakes) fun. I can ride anything on my licence but I really dont want something big and powerful.

So far my list is narrowed down to

KTM Duke 390
Kawazaki Z300
Yamaha MT03
Kawazaki Versys 300

Maybe the BMW 310 GS

Initially I really set my heart on the Duke 390 but lately the Z300 seems a better choice. A bit less Hooligan and in your face and the reports I have read seem favourable.

Ideally I would like to spend nearer £3k than £4k if for no other reason than I might stand a better chance of getting it approved by she who must be obeyed so the Z300 seems to tick that box more than the Duke.

Just after some opinions really. Which would be the most reliable, best ride etc.

The other issue I have is I live between Barnard Castle and Richmond and all the dealers that have these are miles away so I really want to narrow the field if possible before spending days travelling to find one.

What about a DRZ400? I'm not sure if the UK has the supermoto version? But if not just throw some road wheels on and off you do. If you're not a fan of dirt bike looks (which I understand) you can change the look with a new tank and seat, depending on how handy you are at wrenching.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Which lightweight Naked bike for returning biker Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
What about a DRZ400? I'm not sure if the UK has the supermoto version? But if not just throw some road wheels on and off you do. If you're not a fan of dirt bike looks (which I understand) you can change the look with a new tank and seat, depending on how handy you are at wrenching.

AFAIK the road versions of the DRZ have a tad more than just road tyres thrown on, #JustSayin' Wink

There's always my lovely, lovely Honda Rebel. It's got the "right up against the A2 limit" for power and would be an easy transition from a scooter.

How do you feel about arseless chaps? Laughing

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:07 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth considering Honda's current 500 fleet also I think. A little more weight, but not a huge difference in power(they are also A2 class) between them and the pokier 300's.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-64-HONDA-CB-471CC-CB-500-FA-E/274425326736?hash=item3fe5062c90:g:ZzIAAOSwTc1fCkvr

For ex, easy going bike + full luggage already for easy going trips on. It will be a bit nicer going for any NSL/motorway stints too.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand on heart I can't recommend the Rebel for motorway work unless you're prepared to get a better seat. Perfectly adequate for a bit of NSL single with the occasional dual carriageway action. But it does have the same parallel twin that's in the 500 lineup and while not desperately exciting it'd be a massive step up from a scooter.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but since you're keeping the Honda Vision in case you need it, you should aim for a bike with at least 50hp. I wouldn't say I'm the greatest rider in the world, but I can fully use 60-ish hp on every ride, here on the crowded roads of the south east, on a not-ideal-for-riding day, without even trying. Using all the tyre too, on a good day. You say you want to ride for fun in the Yorkshire Dales, with far less traffic and much more open space. While I think the original 660 MT-03 is definitely a fun bike, and I like things like the Bros 400, and would probably enjoy the KTM 390, I don't think these would necessarily always hit the spot for me on an open, sparsely populated road of the type you have over there. If it's for just fun rides out on a good day, isn't it the sort of situation where you might consider a Ducati or something? Old-school raw Japanese sports bike, perhaps? Anything between 70-100hp is probably something you could use on those roads. Just my thoughts.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:00 - 18 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right answer here is a CB/CBF500/600 series. More than enough power for that type of area and absolutely bulletproof. Plus they'll knock those listed out of the park for umph up a hill

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:06 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it’s not in the cc range but I agree with above.

CB500 or equivalent.

Lightweight,not that fast, easy to move about and neutral handling.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not replying, never got any notifications oddly.

Yes I think I came to the same conclusion that a Honda CB500 would be a good choice. Ive seen a couple of the older versions cirica 2003 in good nick for less than £2k and one or two of the newer (slightly less powerful I think) versions from 2013 for about £2500-£3000. finding one near me, not so easy.

I saw a 2013 model with 33000 miles on it about 100 miles south of here on for £2300. Emailed the seller (autotrader) to ask about history. No reply.

Just need to talk the wife into it now sadly.

Cheers for all the help.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:06 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the CBF version as well, 2004 to 2007 iirc. They have uprated frame and suspension over the older cb version plus the option of ABS.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a shot of a Z650 and it seemed a fun bike, so bought the Ninja 650. Can be restricted to A2, although that is the same as wearing a 1/4" thick condom. It only has 67 or so HP.

Ninja 650 for five and a half grand new, 2019 model. Bargain, relatively speaking.

I really don't think there any bad bikes around these days, just ugly ones.

Hope you find a nice bike.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:57 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

that new black z650 w/ the green frame looks fantastic in the metal - i'm not overly struck by the instectile stylings of contemporary bikes but that z is great

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:13 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an original Z650 for one summer in the 80s when I was at college. Cracking bike. Thought I was the feckin Fonz on it. (well he was cool then). Wasnt he? Shocked

Looks like its game over for me. For now at least. We are off away in the motorhome on Wednesday for the foreseeable with the Honda Vision 110 on the back. This kind of puts my "proper" bike dream on hold now unless we come home early before Autumn.
carbon90 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 180 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1