Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How does this ebay/paypal scam work?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: How does this ebay/paypal scam work? Reply with quote

Bike's on ebay, had this email:

"Okay cool I hope it's in a very good condition? I will like to know if you haven't had an accident with it before and I believe you have PayPal as that's what I will be making payments with because it's the safest way to make online payment if you know what I mean by that! If you are ok with my mode of payment you can send me your PayPal email address, that's all I need to make the payment, I will make the payment ASAP, furthermore I have got a private courier agent that will be coming for pick up once the payment has been made. Stay healthy I await your reply."

I can't work it out but my bell is ringing. Laughing

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just inform the buyer to pay using PayPal via eBay when the auction ends / the buyer buys it now. It'll come through. The rest of it is pretty arbitrary really as it's up to them how they want to collect it; man with a van probably. If it's PayPal via eBay then you've got some degree of protection already, you can validate you've received the money before accepting collection of the bike.

I wouldn't accept payment outside of eBay though as you're evading their system by avoiding final value fees, eBay can get pretty shirty about that sort of thing, plus you'll be losing some protection in the process. Part of what you pay your 10% for . . .

I don't think there's any suspicious about the email, just clumsy communication.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless, I've told him cash or bank-transfer only. Apparently the scam is they send you a mock paypal receipt (assuming the seller won't log into their actual paypal account and rely instead on the fake email...who the fuck does that?!).

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it the lack of evidence for postage? Once they have the bike they claim to have never received it and PayPal gives them their money back.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really; if they pay to you directly you'll see it in your PayPal account - no way of faking that.

Ask the buyer's "agent" to bring a copy of the auction then photograph it with the van and bike in the picture as proof to be double sure.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I'd just inform the buyer to pay using PayPal via eBay when the auction ends / the buyer buys it now. It'll come through. The rest of it is pretty arbitrary really as it's up to them how they want to collect it; man with a van probably. If it's PayPal via eBay then you've got some degree of protection already, you can validate you've received the money before accepting collection of the bike.

I wouldn't accept payment outside of eBay though as you're evading their system by avoiding final value fees, eBay can get pretty shirty about that sort of thing, plus you'll be losing some protection in the process. Part of what you pay your 10% for . . .

I don't think there's any suspicious about the email, just clumsy communication.

ebay now charge an insertion fee of £14.99 AND want a 1% final valuation fee (min of £25, max of £45). Lol, they can go whistle fucking dixie for that, they get £14.99 for tens days, that's your lot, you parasite scum. Mr. Green

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are selling it on eBay, he does not need that e-mail address, as you know. He just presses "Pay".

However, if you send him your e-mail address, he will try to make you believe he has paid when he has not, by constructing and sending e-mails that purport to come from Paypal, and hope that you allow him to take away your item.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

See post above; check via PayPal - if it's not there it's not there.

Try eBay general fees; I've just sold a valuable camera and my eBay and PayPal fees combined are taking a bit fat wodge out of the sale. I'd rather that than social media and some randomer turning up with convincing fake £50 notes or something.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
If you are selling it on eBay, he does not need that e-mail address, as you know. He just presses "Pay".

However, if you send him your e-mail address, he will try to make you believe he has paid when he has not, by constructing and sending e-mails that purport to come from Paypal, and hope that you allow him to take away your item.

It's on auction, starting at £7995.

Yes, what you've said above is what I found by googling. It relies on the seller having an IQ around the same as his shoe size.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a way of exploiting this, by perhaps giiving false information about picking up. It would be good to break someone's hand, but unfortunately the law does not allow for this.

Anyway, report the e-mail if you can, otherwise ignore.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
See post above; check via PayPal - if it's not there it's not there.

Try eBay general fees; I've just sold a valuable camera and my eBay and PayPal fees combined are taking a bit fat wodge out of the sale. I'd rather that than social media and some randomer turning up with convincing fake £50 notes or something.

I've never paid them, I dump the account. Those triple-charging scum can get fucked, lol.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I wonder if there is a way of exploiting this, by perhaps giiving false information about picking up. It would be good to break someone's hand, but unfortunately the law does not allow for this.

Anyway, report the e-mail if you can, otherwise ignore.

I would be more inclined to shoot them in the face with a sawn-off but it would be very hard to get away with that.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also what they do is send a legit payment, take the goods, then put in a claim with PayPal to say they’ve not received anything. 9/10 times PayPal will just take the money back and refund them.

edit:

https://www.comparitech.com/identity-theft-protection/ebay-scams/

Unwarranted chargeback
A scammer doesn’t have to try very hard to steal your money, as most transaction sites are built to protect the buyer. If you successfully complete a transaction and the buyer pays with a credit card or PayPal, they can easily contact the provider and cancel the transaction. The money will be recovered from you and you will be charged an additional chargeback fee (that’s $20 for PayPal, individual credit card companies vary). The scammer only needs to say they suspect something was wrong and most institutions will chargeback straightaway, regardless of whether they already have the item or what condition it’s in. Disputing the chargeback can take a lot of time and hassle on your behalf.

Last edited by xX-Alex-Xx on 10:43 - 13 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:39 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever use eBay through the App these days. Its much more secure from a payment point of view.

It'll be the app that notifies you of a correct payment (with evidence for your protection if there's an issue), not some random looking email. The guy doesn't need your pay pal address. If its his first rodeo, I really don't think a motorcycle should be the transaction to break his eBay cherry.

I also don't need to tell you that you can make payment "ASAP" anyway, there is no need to debate the tits off it after the purchase...

As with you, I don't like this one bit.

It pretty much comes down to the risk of how much your prepared to lose. If its an expensive item, I'd want protection, but as the buyer, I'd be more likely to turn up in person to ensure it is what you've described it is. If he doesn't feel the need, he clearly has more money than sense.

I've only ever bought 1 bike I've never seen in the flesh, and that simply came down to the fact it was worth more in parts than I was paying for the whole bike, so I had very limited downside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:22 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The payment would be made using a stolen Paypal account, it would go through successfully with no problems and you would withdraw it to your bank account.

Their private agent courier person would come to collect the bike and everything would be great.

At some point the owner of the Paypal account would notice that they're missing however many thousands of pounds from their bank account and then of course the payment gets reversed very quickly.

The email will be from a stolen eBay account so you'd have zero chance of knowing who to blame, zero chance of ever seeing the bike again and zero chance of not being left out of pocket. Whatever way of looking at it or trying to play it to your advantage, there is no way to win.

I'm disappointed that you don't know all this stuff. Laughing Laughing Laughing

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I only ever use eBay through the App these days. Its much more secure from a payment point of view.

It'll be the app that notifies you of a correct payment (with evidence for your protection if there's an issue)

The app is just as secure as the website so it makes no difference which one you use.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back sales via the local newspaper, cash in hand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard they pay you the money through PayPal then pay a courier to pick the bike up and then they get PayPal to refund the money. They probably want your email so they wont have to rely on ebay's refund policy.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The payment would be made using a stolen Paypal account, it would go through successfully with no problems and you would withdraw it to your bank account.

Their private agent courier person would come to collect the bike and everything would be great.

At some point the owner of the Paypal account would notice that they're missing however many thousands of pounds from their bank account and then of course the payment gets reversed very quickly.

The email will be from a stolen eBay account so you'd have zero chance of knowing who to blame, zero chance of ever seeing the bike again and zero chance of not being left out of pocket. Whatever way of looking at it or trying to play it to your advantage, there is no way to win.

I'm disappointed that you don't know all this stuff. Laughing Laughing Laughing

GSTEEL32 wrote:

It'll be the app that notifies you of a correct payment (with evidence for your protection if there's an issue)

The app is just as secure as the website so it makes no difference which one you use.

I do know this stuff but the chance of a scammer having recently acquired a paypal account with £8k on tap is remote, hence my question wondering about other methods.

It screamed scam from the rooftops anyway and, suprise, no response after I said cash or transfer only.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unreal, just had another email from a totally different 'person' using almost exactly the same words. This one got a mouthful. Laughing

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to add here that hasn't already been mentioned. Either way it will be a faked payment confirmation email if he's a low rent opportunist, or a real payment followed by a charge-back from PayPal once your bike is gone and you are left with your pants down.

I always specify cash or cleared bank transfer and if it's the latter, make sure the buyer is aware that sometimes it can take hours for the transfer to complete - so if they plan to do it on the day, they should be prepared to kill some time weeding my garden.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:06 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, they're easy to get if you look in the right places. Laughing

Before anyone reading this goes and gets themselves some stolen paypal accounts, it's not 100% straight forward so don't go and do anything stupid like trying to buy Hetzer's bike. Laughing

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:28 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably, the idea is to look like you've been paid..

A "courier" picks up your bike... then sets off into the sunset.... complete with your V5 details....

the only way around this from a sellers point of view is to access your paypal account direct and transfer the money to your bank account. ? but this can take a few days, if i remember right ?

is this why hetz and others insist on a cash transfer ?

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:01 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

paypal scams are common. If he picks it up he can just say he never recived it and reverse the payment on Ebay / Paypal

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try Gumtree this sort of email appears for everything you list Sad Usually something along the lines of "if I pay you £100 more via PayPal can you pay the courier?" Well of course! That doesn't sound at all suspicious.

Same again though: cash, bank transfer or GTFO.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first answer on google when you put this text in says its a scam,
as if there was any doubt.

less trustworthy than moist mate tm
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2