Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BREAKDOWN SERVICES ??????????????

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

detainer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:41 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: BREAKDOWN SERVICES ?????????????? Reply with quote

Anyone care to recommend a decent breakdown service for bikers?
My only experience has been with Green Flag who took 5 hours to recover me LESS that 18 miles last January, freezing cold, Pi**ing down and getting darker by the second.

Didn't seem to make any difference to them that I'm over 70 years old and diabetic.
I was in a built up area not in the middle of nowhere so I'm reluctant to renew my subscription with them.
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: BREAKDOWN SERVICES ?????????????? Reply with quote

detainer wrote:
Anyone care to recommend a decent breakdown service for bikers?
My only experience has been with Green Flag who took 5 hours to recover me LESS that 18 miles last January, freezing cold, Pi**ing down and getting darker by the second.

Didn't seem to make any difference to them that I'm over 70 years old and diabetic.
I was in a built up area not in the middle of nowhere so I'm reluctant to renew my subscription with them.
Thanks.

I have used the AA twice in the last few years (for 2 different bikes), both times have been there within the hour, and once had the bike recovered as the coil shat itself, so no way to resurect it at the roadside. The other time they were able to fix the bike and send me on my merry way

Plus, i get it as a benefit on my bank current account, so cost me next to nothing when all the other benefits are taken into account (mobile insurance, travel insurnce etc)

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was with Carole Nash they had "built in" breakdown cover with the insurance; used the breakdown once and they came in about an hour, tried to fix it, couldn't, put the bike into the back of the vehicle (proper bike tie down area) and took me and the bike home. Thumbs Up

I'm with Green Flag at the moment so slightly concerned by your experience of them though Confused

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

StartRescue - especially if you have more than one vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about breakdown services but there should be a tax on question marks.

detainer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:37 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: BREAKDOWN SERVICES ?????????????? Reply with quote

Oh My God.
How much is that going to cost me?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAC were good with me. Told them the bike had spat it's oil out and they didn't piss around trying to send someone to fix something that couldn't be fixed without specific parts. Flatbed to my location, and dropped it off at home. From what I read it may vary depending on your location, so you may want to google a bit deeper.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good and bad with both the AA & RAC. I stay with them as I have family cover for myself, wifie and daughter 2 with any vehicle.

I normally just swap between them depending which is the cheapest.

On average, I would probably say AA is just that bit better for bikes as they came with a dedicated bike trailer rather than using a flatbed car transporter.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:58 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
StartRescue - especially if you have more than one vehicle.

I'm also with start rescue.
they have always given me good service.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

I'm also with start rescue.
they have always given me good service.

Had to use them today. Reported breakdown using their website, got a text to say someone on way, got a call to say am I ok and to give me ETA, then recovery turned up in about an hour and I couldn't have asked for more from them.

Banging stuff.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a terrible experience with RAC when in my car, with them outsourcing the recovery and giving the guy the wrong phone number and road. Spent 6 hours in my car (phone had died) until some lady who saw me there hours earlier gave me a lift home Laughing I feel bad for the recovery guy who later told me he was driving in circles for 4 hours...

I think it really matters what your location is as the recovery guy told me Green Flag are best for my area. That's not really very helpful when your far from home though.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the RAC for the best part of 30 odd years, I did go with the insurance cover brake-down for a short while but was stung big time and my Dad's RAC cover sorted me so I went back to them. I was let down about 26 years ago where my now ex-wife had to wait 4 hours, but that was a tech issue of a new system, They have prioritized my wife a few times because she was a lone female and I will always let the RAC put vulnerable people first before me.

I'm covered for loads of stuff including home start and other useful stuff. The wife was only £30 more and she is covered for everything I am too, that's for 3 cars and 4 motorbikes.

Yes you do pay for it, but with the mileage I was doing and the importance of getting things sorted for me, I think it's well worth the money.

detainer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:16 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: BREAKDOWN SERVICES ?????????????? Reply with quote

I do appreciate everything that people have said regarding this topic and also the time & trouble you've all taken to reply.
seems to me that this START rescue could well be the way for mt to go, so thanks again to you all.

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:18 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked for the AA for 15 years, previous to that I was a Green Flag Tech.
I went with GEM Motoring Assist as they include Vans, Trailers, Motorcycles in the standard cover
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1