Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

cbr600 fx fuel issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellbound
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: cbr600 fx fuel issue Reply with quote

long time no post huh?

So I have an issue.
About 18 months ago the bike cut out at 30 and even the AA couldn't get it running.
Then I took it to a garage that is owned by an aquaintance who said he would look at it in his spare time.
Present day and I gave up waiting for him to finish it so took it back again.

New fuel pump, new fuel pump relay, carbs cleaned and balanced (apparently) new spark plugs.

Now it runs eventually, then dies, will only sound like its firing on choke full throttle.
I think its flooding itself without me touching the throttle.

TLDR.

Bike possibly flooding itself causing owner to contimplate setting fire to it.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:08 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your mate cleaned the carb, did he check the float valve and floats and he replace them properly? I would take the carb float bowl off and check the needle and floats.

hellbound
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had carbs off since to confirm they were at least cleaned.

The float level can't be adjusted as they are completely plastic with a plastic notch to hold float needle.
I did blow it all through whilst it was off and then carefully reassembled.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:07 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it getting a good spark?

Not the easiest bike to check this on I know but if this problem happened abruptly, it's hardly likely that all 4 carbs similtaneously and suddenly started malfunctioning.

90% of carburettion problems are electrical. I'd start with coil earths and move up from there.

hellbound
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it starts, revs up for a bit, then dies.

Which is why I cant see how its electrical

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellbound wrote:

When it starts give it some revs / choke and when it dies stick your nose at the exhaust outlet to see / smell if it stinks of fuel.

It`s a pity that it`s fully faired / tank and you cannot whip the plugs out to see if their wet with fuel.

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellbound wrote:

I've heard of coils that are going bad struggling to deliver spark when they or the engine is warm. It's also more difficult to initiate a spark in a pressurised environment (like inside an engine on compression stroke), so coils or plugs going bad is a fair suggestion

hellbound
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It`s a pity that it`s fully faired / tank and you cannot whip the plugs out to see if their wet with fuel.

It hasnt got fairings on at the moment, I took them off to ease the removal of carbs.

I will try all this the next evening I have free.
Thank you all

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you spray brake cleaner or easy start in the intakes does it run?

I take it that it was running after all the bits were replaced as the bike needs to be running in order to balance the carbs.

Genuine fuel pump? Cheap crap off Ebay is cheap crap, works for a while then fails, confirmed by me, had to fork out for genuine.

When the tank was put back, it's easy to pinch the fuel supply hose. A little bit can drip through but when a lot of air flows it'll stall due to lack of fuel.

The carb rubbers are thick and hard to seat, if they're not on properly then it'll run rough.

When the carbs were cleaned, did he set the idle mixture screws again? From memory they should be three turns out.

The choke linkage can stick, fuel filters can clog, fuel might be contaminated if it's been stood, drain screws on bottom of carbs, dribble some in a jar shouldn't be a separation of water/fuel, or dirty bits in it.

Fuel pump points can stick, a quick tap on the lid usually sorts that.

All things I can think of, as it does sound fuelly.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:25 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one years ago that did similar things. It was a knackered reg/rec meaning the battery wasn't charging.

The symptoms didn't seem to fit logically. Riding just fine, then after about 20 minutes it felt like it was running out of fuel, then died. It would still spin the starter over for a good while, catch and struggle a bit, then die again.

Charge the battery overnight, then start it and check the charging system with a multimeter set to DC volts. You should be seeing ~14.5V across the battery terminals at 4000rpm, and above 13V at tickover.

If you are seeing less than this, or if the voltage drops as the revs rise, get a new reg/rec.

hellbound
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well well well.

It appears the previous guy didn't really know anything about carbs.

Idle screws 4 turns out instead of 1
Badly balanced carbs
Also not really put Back on all that well.

Now running, MOTed and Back on the road

(Is a bit "fluttery" so may need to buy a proper balancer instead of the cheap Chinese crap)

Thank you one and all

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellbound wrote:
Well well well.

It appears the previous guy didn't really know anything about carbs.

Idle screws 4 turns out instead of 1
Badly balanced carbs
Also not really put Back on all that well.

Now running, MOTed and Back on the road

(Is a bit "fluttery" so may need to buy a proper balancer instead of the cheap Chinese crap)

Thank you one and all

Morgan Carbtune works well, use the dampers in the kit.
Lumpy idle still then up the idle speed a bit - mine is happier at 1300-1350, charges the battery better too esecially if you have heated grips.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1