Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Changing your launcher.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Changing your launcher. Reply with quote

Have you changed your launcher? Why? What did you change it to? Were there any unexpected nasties?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:33 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I find this rather effective.

https://missiledefenseadvocacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/scud-b-2-770x385@2x.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:43 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one can launch 12 at a time
https://miro.medium.com/max/3600/1*m4hBgNSEUSKAwVHopBvChg.jpeg

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the gearing, you say? Hmmm...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/06/fd/65/06fd6573c51ecd4f89aedb55c085da54.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:16 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I had one of those as a kid, I used to launch him off the kitchen table and from the top of the stairs as well as getting it to jump over the dog.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm never changing my launcher. The missile is supersonic by the time it's 25 feet off the launcher ....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2a/Bloodhound_SAM_at_the_RAF_Museum.jpg/1280px-Bloodhound_SAM_at_the_RAF_Museum.jpg

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
I'm never changing my launcher. The missile is supersonic by the time it's 25 feet off the launcher ....

And how, pray tell, do you explain having that in your back garden?
Did some bigger boys do it then run away. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I used to have one of those.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

And how, pray tell, do you explain having that in your back garden?
Did some bigger boys do it then run away. Rolling Eyes

It’s on the roof for 360 degree cover.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness, I did not know people were so unaware. FWIW I may try Evie or Niagara.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
My goodness, I did not know people were so unaware. FWIW I may try Evie or Niagara.

Your own question back at you; why?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:15 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Maybe it's cos I have a decent phone?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Maybe it's cos I have a decent phone?

Wow. That confirms it. This is the geek zone, not the "Oh my eyebrows need combing" zone! Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Your own question back at you; why?

What a strange question. To get a preferable look, of course!

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:50 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a serious answer, Nova has been my choice for years. Mostly because of:

Custom size icon grid on the home and app drawers
Multiple app drawers (one for common use stuff, one for rarely used)
Totally hide unused icons
Backup all settings to google drive

But there’s a load of other small stuff in there that most other launchers don’t have. it’s well worth the couple of quid to get the premium version.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVIE is nice without the need to fiddle - i could never get on with NOVA, it always felt like too much hard work.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 07:50 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Wow. That confirms it. This is the geek zone, not the "Oh my eyebrows need combing" zone! Smile

I didn't make an ad hominem attack, just putting that out there.

I spend my days messing about with Windows, Linux and proprietary professional video and audio equipment. I spend my weekends building gaming systems, hacking consoles and playing games or dismantling bikes and rebuilding them.

Why in hell would I want to mess with my phone? It's something I just need to work all the time, and I can get that same geeky enjoyment from other projects which aren't critical.

I've never understood phone 'hacking' (if installing another app is actually hacking). Total waste of time and not even interesting. And as much as Apple is 'an' evil empire, Google is 'The' evil empire and Samsung et al appear to have no actual imagination or real flair.

I have nothing against them as tools, if you can't afford an iPhone, then sure a cheap Android is definitely the way to go, as nowadays it seems essential to own a smartphone. However, it is absolutely not a part of my geeky identity, and I honestly can't think of anything worse than spending time messing with my phone.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing a launcher is hardly "hacking". It's the same as installing any other app from Google Play.

iOS is VERY limited with what you can do with the look and feel (I swapped to iPhone, and honestly the lack of cusomisation drives me nuts - who the hell thinks only 4 icons wide on a large screen is suitable, even worse on iPads until iOS13.....). Using a different launcher makes the phone work for you, rather than the other way around.

Apple's good for privacy, but they're about 3-4 years behind when it comes to features vs Android.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova.

Simple and easy. I like having all apps I use on my homescreen so I rarely need to open the menu/app drawer or whatever it's called.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Installing a launcher is hardly "hacking". It's the same as installing any other app from Google Play.

iOS is VERY limited with what you can do with the look and feel (I swapped to iPhone, and honestly the lack of cusomisation drives me nuts - who the hell thinks only 4 icons wide on a large screen is suitable, even worse on iPads until iOS13.....). Using a different launcher makes the phone work for you, rather than the other way around.

Apple's good for privacy, but they're about 3-4 years behind when it comes to features vs Android.

A previous work, where I used to do a bit more than "mess around with" (now) Oracle Solaris, RHEL and a sniff of Windoze, used to give away iphones. I'd guess the cost of a mid-range iphone thing is about the same as a mid-range Android thing; same for expensive ones. I doubt iphones are competetive or even available at lower prices. I didn't bother then, since I'd already got an Android smartphone, & I'm quite happy with Android, which after all is a version of.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:52 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to fuck with my phone a lot, now I just kinda live with it. I'm tempted to root and flash my P30 Pro, but only to change the default installed apps.... and I loathe to wipe it and fuck around when I'm using it for work Laughing Otherwise, im using Evie.

My last phone was using NOVA and it was nicer than the default launcher for sure, but Evie just feels nicer.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people still use Trebuchet? I seem to recall putting it on an El-Cheapo Chinese iPhone (but actually Android) knockoff as the installed launcher was full of malware.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

There's something rather disturbing about that picture. A lorry with fully erect rocket with a smile on its ''face''. That's one happy lorry. Thinking

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 19:54 - 21 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:34 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what launcher is called..but the us gov launched some "secret" sats from an old 30 year old minute man ICBM yesterday rather than going the usual rocketlab,spacex,euro launcher etc.....and fuck me it was supersonic in less than 17 seconds.....like holy shit 1, it still works after 30 years, 2 it's the fastest I've ever seen an orbital rocket get off the launchpad,go supersonic and get to orbit in like 60 seconds!! 3, it did it so fast the take off to turning to follow the earths curve for orbit made it look like it just failed and would explode any second!!! amazing these guys developed this so long ago before gps was a thing!! half the people who designed and built these things have died of old age!! and 30 years after being made and due to be scrapped.....it works as soon as you hit the launch button!

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:42 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
if you can't afford an iPhone, then sure a cheap Android is definitely the way to go

That isn't in the least bit condescending, no not at all. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2