Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why so many big blokes on tiny 125 motorcycles here?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been riding for 20yrs and the for about 14yrs ive been on 1000cc sports bikes.

ive changed as a person and now im on a 125cc honda grom why because it suits who i am at the moment i love the simple nimbleness and slowness of 125cc, but then i prob dont count cos im not a big bloke im only 5"3 and im not obese

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't knock little bikes. My neighbour has just bought a C90 for the back of his campervan and we've been hooning up and down the street on it this afternoon. I had forgotten just how much fun they were!!!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:46 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are there so many little guys on here ride litre bikes?

I'm not talking about me, obviously. I'm famously well endowed.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Why are there so many little guys on here ride litre bikes?

I'm not talking about me, obviously. I'm famously well endowed.

You trod on mine again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here, if you find skinny jeans uncomfortable and tight, as most people do, you probably won't wear them. Therefore most people don't wear them.
Over there, you would be hard pressed to find a normal pair of straight-cut jeans in the supermarket, because most people apparently "want" to wear skinny jeans.

Silly analogy, but I suspect the same applies to a wide range of things, not just consumer choices but also the opinions people will admit to holding, and the likes and dislikes they claim to have. 125s can be fun in various situations, and if they spice up someone's daily commute on 30-40mph roads, they will probably choose them over a scooter which just gets them there.

It's probably easier here to make individual choices about all sorts of things, but especially in consumer choices, than it is over on the continent.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:58 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worldwide, small motorcycles are de-rigueur. It's places where people ride big bikes that are odd.

Most of the worlds motorcycling population would consider 125cc pretty big.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
ive been riding for 20yrs and the for about 14yrs ive been on 1000cc sports bikes.

ive changed as a person and now im on a 125cc honda grom why because it suits who i am at the moment i love the simple nimbleness and slowness of 125cc, but then i prob dont count cos im not a big bloke im only 5"3 and im not obese

Snap.

Have more fun on the MSX than I do on the RSVR

Before that i used to commute into London on a Monkeybike, 50 mile round trip.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m quite a large chap and I’m trying to rescue a 125, and I’m looking forward to the day I can ride it.
If people feel the need to make a negative comment to me about my choice of bike, I can tell them to “FUCK OFF” Thumbs Up

I know that it’ll never be a world beater, but I don’t care.

Honda c90 , 125 this or that, it’s cool if that’s what you want to ride.

GPZ1100, GSXR1000, how long does a rear tyre and chain last?

Honda c90 how long does a rear tyre and chain last?

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:09 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
I get it that big bikes cost a lot and that horses for courses, whatever rocks your boat, it's a free country and everyone can do as they want.

It was just that it seemed very odd that, abroad, a big bloke riding a 125 sounds a bit ridiculous, while here it's almost the norm. Talk about cultural differences

In Madrid we have 4 types of people. There are a LOT of deliveroo drivers who almost exclusively ride YBR 125s. You have the scooter boys, either a real nasty 50cc thing with 9" wheels (which is probably quite fun) or a brand new 300 with a racing exhaust.

Then you have the BMW crowd. People here LOVE their big BMW bikes and they love to ride them wearing a white shirt, and loafers. Accountants I guess. Finally, the sports bike squids. These guys are quite rare because of course an out and out sports bike is not very practical for Madrid, but you can bet your bottom dollar, if there is a guy on a Gixer, you know hes wearing a bright green Arai helmet and a tee shirt thats two sizes too small.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Londoner2015 wrote:
I get it that big bikes cost a lot and that horses for courses, whatever rocks your boat, it's a free country and everyone can do as they want.

It was just that it seemed very odd that, abroad, a big bloke riding a 125 sounds a bit ridiculous, while here it's almost the norm. Talk about cultural differences

In Madrid we have 4 types of people. There are a LOT of deliveroo drivers who almost exclusively ride YBR 125s. You have the scooter boys, either a real nasty 50cc thing with 9" wheels (which is probably quite fun) or a brand new 300 with a racing exhaust.

Then you have the BMW crowd. People here LOVE their big BMW bikes and they love to ride them wearing a white shirt, and loafers. Accountants I guess. Finally, the sports bike squids. These guys are quite rare because of course an out and out sports bike is not very practical for Madrid, but you can bet your bottom dollar, if there is a guy on a Gixer, you know hes wearing a bright green Arai helmet and a tee shirt thats two sizes too small.

I'll pass on Madrid then, if it's all the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:49 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Wthey're a hoot to throw around. They weigh fuck all, you can take some amazing liberties on one if you have half decent rubber on.

I see. I actually find the sweet spot for short rides and for commuting is an engine size between 250-350, both for scooters and motorcycles, but of course these things are very subjective.

Indeed, I have seen loads of scooters this size in other European capitals. Maybe a difference is that motorbike licences are so expensive here that those who go through the pain of getting one are the enthusiasts who want a real motorcycle.

With a 300ish engine it's much easier to ride on the motorway (I can do it on a 125 but I would never want to) and you have just enough power so that you can easily accelerate out of trouble or be quick enough in pulling out, but not too powerful that mpg becomes too low.

Obviously, horses for courses. I also get it that, regardless of preference, there will be people who might prefer a 300ish but can only afford a 125.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:51 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Over here, if you find skinny jeans uncomfortable and tight, as most people do, you probably won't wear them. Therefore most people don't wear them.
Over there, you would be hard pressed to find a normal pair of straight-cut jeans in the supermarket, because most people apparently "want" to wear skinny jeans.

Ah, the usual "we are better than them" argument... yawn...

Are you a Brexiter?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is going to degenerate into a Tef "time on a tiddler is never wasted" rant I shall be most displeased. Evil or Very Mad

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
... I believe that they've actually give them away in cornflakes boxes.

..yes along with guns from what I understand.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:15 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not American, by the way

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
I am not American, by the way

Are you a Brexiter?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:

Are you a Brexiter?

Nice try, but you came in too soon for your trolling to work.

"Why is there a cultural difference between bike preferences here and in mainland Europe?"
"Because they value different things."
Ha! This one bit the bait!
"Brexiter! Jingoist!"

Get a life.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:55 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Londoner2015 wrote:

Are you a Brexiter?

Nice try, but you came in too soon for your trolling to work.

You have a very vivid imagination.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... very rapid transition from 125 to Brexit Sad We just need to work in Covid and Hitler to get a line in Forum Bingo Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Wow... very rapid transition from 125 to Brexit Sad We just need to work in Covid and Hitler to get a line in Forum Bingo Laughing

You forgot plain waysist!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

It all started in the first post with the random comment .. 'big fat bloke on a tiny 125 bike'.. which in fact isn't something I've really come across, but then again I live in 'The Shires'..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, someone who feels hard done by when we point out European differences, someone who moans about Brexit. Someone who moans about racist englander.

It's a REMOANER. Dance!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:31 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Why so many big blokes on tiny 125 motorcycles here? Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
Just curious: why do you think there are so many 125 motorcycles in England, compared to other European countries? I say England simply because I have no experience of the other countries of the UK.

What do you think?

Proposition is screwed from the off.

UK bike stats show that about 1/2 all powered 2-wheelers in the country are under 125,

.....and sales stats suggest that about 4/5 of them are actually scooters; which would deny the assertion that there are 'hoards' of 'big' people riding 'little' bikes.

In fact, 'most' p2w in the UK are a) scooters b) under 125cc, geared 125's are actually in the minority, by both ownership and miles travelled.

More.. define 'little'? Engine displacement is no indication of the physical weight or dimensions of a motorcycle, whether it has gears or not, many 125cc engined bikes may be as or heavier than their bigger cc counter-parts.. and in fact vogue of recent decades has seen a preference for physically larger and heavier Learner-Legals (>125c) and smaller lighter (significantly 'sports' class, bikes bigger than 125cc.

The question is a fallacy from the off.. so answers to false question are going to me meaningless and just adding prejudice and presumption to the already prejudiced assumptive hypothesis...

try again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teffers! Where have you been?
We thought you’d got lost down the plug-hole Smile

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:31 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Teffers! Where have you been?
We thought you’d got lost down the plug-hole Smile

Snowtigeress has let the tyres down on my bike; hidden my keys; locked me in the bedroom & occasionally sprinkles winegums on the duvet, then sets the dog on me.
I think she's trying to get followers on u-tube for her 'funny' clips of a staffie trying to gesticulate on a winegum whilst sat on my head....
Some-one PLEASE call the RSPCA... the dog has put on about 20Kg and she's shaved my hair!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 283 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3