Is morbid obesity un-patriotic?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're just fat-ist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
So you're just fat-ist.

Nope, you're missing the point.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

I'm not really talking about the general notion of personal responsibility for looking after ones health. It's the poor sense of responsibility shown by a person who on the one hand wears their patriotism on their sleeve but then burdens their country with what are significant avoidable health care costs. Obesity being far and away a more costly health issue than other high risk things like motorcycling or horse riding etc. If it was a situation such as the USA where people pay for their own health care and presumably the insurance costs they face are calculated on their personal situation then that would be different.

Motorcycling is not high risk by a long way. How many BCF'ers have died? One wheelied into a lamp post which near enough to call suicide. I think I remember of 2 other names that were killed on the road?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:22 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

I'm not really talking about the general notion of personal responsibility for looking after ones health. It's the poor sense of responsibility shown by a person who on the one hand wears their patriotism on their sleeve but then burdens their country with what are significant avoidable health care costs. Obesity being far and away a more costly health issue than other high risk things like motorcycling or horse riding etc. If it was a situation such as the USA where people pay for their own health care and presumably the insurance costs they face are calculated on their personal situation then that would be different.

Motorcycling is not high risk by a long way. How many BCF'ers have died? One wheelied into a lamp post which near enough to call suicide. I think I remember of 2 other names that were killed on the road?

3 dead on a forum that probably only has 20-30 regular posters at any one time is a not inconsiderable amount.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened to the good old days when your average nationalist was an easy-on-the-eye blond Aryan?
The majority of those who find their way onto social media platforms nowadays seem to be fat, ugly and dumb. Confused

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Polarbear wrote:

3 dead on a forum that probably only has 20-30 regular posters at any one time is a not inconsiderable amount.

I meant activities which risk the need for medical treatment not mortuary services. I just stuck motorcycling in because its something we share experience of and also for contrast as obesity is far more risky than biking. Which begs another question, when people tell you your acting dangerously riding a motorcycle and they're obese do you point out their hypocracy?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
when people tell you your acting dangerously riding a motorcycle and they're obese do you point out their hypocracy?

Is it hypocritical?

I think in that case, it is just pointing out an observation. Unecessarily probably but not hyprocracy. If they were riding a bike and saying it then maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:51 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
How many BCF'ers have died?

There's only a handful of frequent users who've died but out of the 108,875 registered users, most of whom posted only a few times or maybe very infrequently if at all, plenty of those will have died over the 18 years BCF has been around.

If you died, is there anyone who would tell us?

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:02 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdly this comes back to the book island I’m reading.

In this society the book explains we’re more focused on the cure rather than the prevention.

We expect to be fixed up when our bodies break but we don’t educate ourselves on the prevention.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:35 - 21 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
when people tell you your acting dangerously riding a motorcycle and they're obese do you point out their hypocracy?

Is it hypocritical?

I think in that case, it is just pointing out an observation. Unecessarily probably but not hyprocracy. If they were riding a bike and saying it then maybe.

I think your logic is wrong there.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:30 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Is morbid obesity un-patriotic? Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I know a raving Scots Nationalist, who also happens to be morbidly obese. The question occurred to me once that given the burden that his obesity would likely heave onto the NHS and given post Scottish independence the cost of providing a national health service will be an enormous challenge to the country, is obesity on the part of a nationalist in a country that has universal health care provision unpatriotic?

You need help Pal.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:35 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:
Weirdly this comes back to the book island I’m reading.

In this society the book explains we’re more focused on the cure rather than the prevention.

We expect to be fixed up when our bodies break but we don’t educate ourselves on the prevention.

You should change your book.

We are all taught that greed (and many other harmful things/behavior) is not good. (Or the majority of us are.) by our parents firstly and by our peers.

The issue is that many people ignore many things.

And the other issue is that the effects of one's lifestyles can take lifetimes to manifest.

Medical research suggests that 'Fat Shaming' should begin at age 2-1/2 to 3 years of age.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
We are all taught that greed (and many other harmful things/behavior) is not good. (Or the majority of us are.) by our parents firstly and by our peers..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVxYOQS6ggk

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:02 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
MCN wrote:
We are all taught that greed (and many other harmful things/behavior) is not good. (Or the majority of us are.) by our parents firstly and by our peers..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVxYOQS6ggk

Pity that mantra is not true.

Altruism benefits the human race (and other lifeforms) more than greed.
Hunger is not greed.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen up all you right wing Boris fanciers South of the wall https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53522492

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, ban junk food adverts.

Now ban bet365 etc. and help address the serious issue of gambling addiction?

No...?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Great, ban junk food adverts.

Now ban bet365 etc. and help address the serious issue of gambling addiction?

No...?

If they ban everything then we can all be rebels! Laughing

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:57 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

You should change your book.

We are all taught that greed (and many other harmful things/behavior) is not good. (Or the majority of us are.) by our parents firstly and by our peers.

The issue is that many people ignore many things.

And the other issue is that the effects of one's lifestyles can take lifetimes to manifest.

Medical research suggests that 'Fat Shaming' should begin at age 2-1/2 to 3 years of age.

That wasn't the point the book was making.

It was more about a lack of education to do with health and the attitude of western consumerism.

It also depends on the context of greed.

Animals in nature can be considered greedy like squirrels storing nuts away for survival.

Is someone whos routinely in mcdonalds in there for survival?

What if the government put a cap on the amount of money that is spent on each individual to stop people abusing the system or the figured out a way to siphon out those people who keep burdening the health service with their self inflicted illnesses.

Im sure they would wake up after a while when the realise they arent going to get free health care after a point. It would make sure that taxpayers money go towards people who actually need it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:28 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the new measures to curb obesity that Boris is announcing next week going to work with the 'eat out to help out' thing?

It all sounds a bit like when Boris told everyone not to go to the pub on the last night before lockdown started. Laughing

spottedtango wrote:
What if the government put a cap on the amount of money that is spent on each individual to stop people abusing the system or the figured out a way to siphon out those people who keep burdening the health service with their self inflicted illnesses.

You mean like people who ride motorcycles?

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:28 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then you could say people that mountain climb. People that canoe.

My definition of self inflicted is more like ailments caused by not looking after yourself rather than accidents cause by an activity.

The main point of what I’m trying to say is how do you stop people from abusing the health system due to them eating shedloads of food?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:
The main point of what I’m trying to say is how do you stop people from abusing the health system due to them eating shedloads of food?

What is someone is depressed and consequently binge eats? You are then discriminating against mentally ill people with your plan.

We live in a first world country that can EASILY afford to provide comprehensive healthcare to everyone.

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:02 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the issue of depression isn’t being addressed and they’re self harming effectively through eating too much.

Basically suicide by junk food.

I agree my plan is flawed and If I’m being honest I don’t want anymore rules telling people what to do. We have a enough as it is.

I think we’re well overweight and it’s gonna become a problem.

Especially when people are fighting for the mobility scooters on the way into Morrison’s.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:
Then the issue of depression isn’t being addressed and they’re self harming effectively through eating too much.

Basically suicide by junk food.

I agree my plan is flawed and If I’m being honest I don’t want anymore rules telling people what to do. We have a enough as it is.

I think we’re well overweight and it’s gonna become a problem.

Especially when people are fighting for the mobility scooters on the way into Morrison’s.

I beg you Sir.

I have my own mobility scooter. 😎

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:21 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I beg you Sir.

I have my own mobility scooter. 😎

Offt I’ll meet thoust for a jostle on the wine and spirits isle.

You can take my junk food but you’ll never take my booze.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:54 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:

Im sure they would wake up after a while when the realise they arent going to get free health care after a point. It would make sure that taxpayers money go towards people who actually need it.

I can see what you want but I think the reality is a system like this would just create misery for lots of people and the cost savings to the NHS would be minimal.

It is in the same category for me with things like the death pentalty or organ donation. Yes some people deserve to die for crimes and yes some people shouldn't receive an organ if they specifically opt out of the scheme but this is peoples lives we are talking about. Society should be a "better person" than any individual.

If we can't look after people less fortunate/clever/sensible than the average, 50% of people are gonna live miserable lives. The idea that them worrying about paying for private health care if they get ill isn't going to improve anything. They aren't going to drag themselves out of depression for this, it doesn't work that way.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3