Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I'm in serious trouble and I'm really worried

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

article 3

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-dvsa-uses-automatic-number-plate-recognition-anpr/how-dvsa-uses-automatic-number-plate-recognition-anpr#code-of-practice-and-national-standards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:26 - 21 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet they just send you a ticket. Return ticket and pay fine + take points. I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone can be bothered to do anything further once you agree to pay the demand and take the points.

Unfortuantely I have had a NIP this year otherwise I'd happily have a free NC29 Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 21 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
I remember hearing the following story once...

"You probably won't have the stones for this but anyway...you need the help of a mate, who you'd pretend not to know (you just need his address and cooperation). He had a guy living there (on his couch) who heard you in a pub telling your mates you wanted to sell your bike. He arranged with you to test ride it (he told you he had insurance, that covers you for that bit), then ran it past a camera. You provide his details on the ticket (name and address), they then send the ticket to him (at your mate's address), your mate puts it back in the post box with "No longer at this address" (he's moved away). There's an outside chance the police will visit but it's a formality, all your mate would need to do is blow smoke up their ass ("I met the guy in the pub, he was down on his luck so I put him up for a few weeks etc, he's since moved on, no idea where").

You might still get done for letting somebody ride your bike with no tax but it's a lot less serious."

Absolutely disgraceful way to try and escape the consequences of bad behaviour, I can't condemn it enough.

A much simpler scenario would be for a company pool vehicle - the company being the keeper - and you write back that the records for that day have been lost in a tragic shredder accident. The law got re-balanced so that the fine for not providing a valid answer was eye watering.

For a normal person (not a company entity)

Quote:
The registered keeper of a vehicle has a legal obligation to provide details of who was driving at the time of an alleged motoring offence. Failing to provide the drivers identity carries 6 penalty points on your licence and up to £1000 fine.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 21 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
I remember hearing the following story once...

"You probably won't have the stones for this but anyway...you need the help of a mate, who you'd pretend not to know (you just need his address and cooperation). He had a guy living there (on his couch) who heard you in a pub telling your mates you wanted to sell your bike. He arranged with you to test ride it (he told you he had insurance, that covers you for that bit), then ran it past a camera. You provide his details on the ticket (name and address), they then send the ticket to him (at your mate's address), your mate puts it back in the post box with "No longer at this address" (he's moved away). There's an outside chance the police will visit but it's a formality, all your mate would need to do is blow smoke up their ass ("I met the guy in the pub, he was down on his luck so I put him up for a few weeks etc, he's since moved on, no idea where").

You might still get done for letting somebody ride your bike with no tax but it's a lot less serious."

Absolutely disgraceful way to try and escape the consequences of bad behaviour, I can't condemn it enough.

A much simpler scenario would be for a company pool vehicle - the company being the keeper - and you write back that the records for that day have been lost in a tragic shredder accident. The law got re-balanced so that the fine for not providing a valid answer was eye watering.

For a normal person (not a company entity)

Quote:
The registered keeper of a vehicle has a legal obligation to provide details of who was driving at the time of an alleged motoring offence. Failing to provide the drivers identity carries 6 penalty points on your licence and up to £1000 fine.

That's "simpler"? Sure, maybe, if the bike was an actual company/pool vehicle.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Burger wrote:
just taxed my bike now, one less thing to be caught up on. takes unto 5 days for the tax to show, so its a race against paper pushers who can file faster.

Is it insured now?

Once it's taxed it has to be insured or you'll be fined - thanks to "Continuous Insurance" rules which were bought in a couple of years ago.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
That's "simpler"? Sure, maybe, if the bike was an actual company/pool vehicle.

Poor turn of phrase on my part "alternatively..." maybe Thinking

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 25 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon sell soap-on-a-rope.
You will need it in jail. 😯

The penalties listed are the min max. The beak has discretionary powers depending on case details.
Don't be a dick if it goes to court.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't a sad mark of our times that a teenager today s#1ts themselves over the consequences for their future career prospects because of a minor traffic offence. We need a f#£&ING revolution.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:05 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not because of the minor speeding traffic offence, it's because of the stupidity of setting of a bright yellow gatso camera whilst riding without a license or insurance.

Everyone has done stupid things and most get away with it, I'm not judging him or whatever but it's a really stupid mistake to make. Laughing

Still not expecting anything to come of it other than a speeding ticket so he's unnecessarily confessed his sins to his parents. Laughing

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the worst that can happen? They throw the book at you and you get a big fine, possibly as much as a grand. But even then you get to pay it in affordable instalments. As others have said, I wouldn't be surprised if all you get is a speeding fine.

We all did/do stupid things as teenagers because teenagers aren't fully connected with reality. You'll get over it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 days in 6 to go. Fingers crossed you get nothing through in the next week Thumbs Up

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of topic but can you post a picture of your CBR400? Thanks

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
8 days in 6 to go. Fingers crossed you get nothing through in the next week Thumbs Up

Does it include weekends or is it working days?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Does it include weekends or is it working days?

14 straight days I think. Note that it has to be sent so as to be received within 14 days, not sent within 14 days.

It's never happened to me but if I received a NIP after 14 days I'd still fill it in saying I was the driver but include a note saying that the NIP was sent outside of the 14 day timescale and I will be challenging any action based on that fact.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
14 straight days I think. Note that it has to be sent so as to be received within 14 days, not sent within 14 days.

It's never happened to me but if I received a NIP after 14 days I'd still fill it in saying I was the driver but include a note saying that the NIP was sent outside of the 14 day timescale and I will be challenging any action based on that fact.

Yeah, I've either received one or not received one, never seen (or heard of) a late one.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all in here.

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:16 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be the unpopular bearer of likely bad news here.

- You already have points on your licence.
- You've triggered a speed camera
- You were driving otherwise in accordance
- You were uninsured
- The vehicle was declared SORN - whilst a DVLA enforced rule, this still shows up on Police systems - notably PNC.

Yes, the speed enforcement teams can actually check. From points totting up alone, you're very likely looking at having your licence pulled if not an outright ban and very likely a court date.

I'm not saying that to be cruel. I'm saying that to keep you in mind that I would strongly recommend you anticipate the worst case scenario rather than convincing yourself you'll "only get a fine". You've got no way of guaranteeing that.

What I WOULD recommend though, is that you take your acknowledgement of doing something very stupid into court with you. If you genuinely ARE remorseful, show them. If you get a summons, the worse thing you can do is not show up as that will make them more inclined to throw the book at you because they've got the Police evidence documenting that the vehicle was being ridden whilst not legal to do so.

Yes you might get advice like "oh tell them someone else was riding because you had a helmet on" - sorry, that's passing the buck. You cocked up and you know it. It sucks, but you're going to have to take the outcome on the chin.

If for whatever reason you ONLY get a fine and manage to keep your licence, don't get cocky about it. Take it as being monumentally lucky and don't do it again, not a "lol I got away with it". Yes, it sucks that COVID has messed up you being able to take your test right now, but in the grand scheme of things, that is not worth potentially screwing yourself over because you want to get out.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today is day 14 and he hasn't reported back so fingers crossed he's:

1. Got away with it
2. Had enough of a fright to prevent him repeating his stupidity.

OP will deliver - won't he?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

1. Got away with it

Email a Prioner only let's you correspond by email and photos.
It wont give access to the Internet. ☹

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe OP won't deliver after all?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

1. Got away with it

He's obviously the worst kind of criminal so;

3. Dawn raid, now sitting uncomfortably in a cell wearing a Tyvek and waiting for the chance to "tell his story."

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he's been fli hi my angle'd

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Pete. wrote:

1. Got away with it

3. Dawn raid, now sitting uncomfortably in a cell waiting to be reemed by Mr Big.

Ftfy.

Last edited by recman on 19:55 - 07 Aug 2020; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

3. Dawn raid, now sitting uncomfortably in a cell wearing a Tyvek and waiting for the chance to "tell his story."

Are you suggesting he's being fitted-up for rape too?

😲

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:27 - 08 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As other have said...you're only young, put it down to experience, and LEARN from it.

I rode bikes/mopeds from aged 8 to 17, made the mistake of buying a car before taking my test, got caught on the road with no everything, plus a few other things, managed to lose my license for 4 yrs, got it back just before I was 21. To tide me over those 4 years, I got a job as a fork lift driver so I could drive every day Laughing it seemed ok at the time.
At the end of the 4 yrs I'd settled into a decent job, and could go straight out and buy a C50 Very Happy a yr later my boss paid for driving lessons and when I passed gave me the company van to use.

Remember: Time is a great healer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4