134 in a 70

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 19:51 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: 134 in a 70 Reply with quote

Long story short, pulled for 134 in a 70 on a dual carriageway. Was bound to happen with the way I've been riding recently lol so I'm not at all upset. Officer at the scene was a cheery chap, not giving me the third degree.

He said he's not doing me for dangerous driving, just excessive speed, and said the maximum I can get for that is a 56 day ban & £1000 fine.

I've checked insurance quotes and it's only an extra £300 with a 56 day ban & maximum fine for that offence, so really it's not that bad at the end of the day. Might just have to lay up the bike over winter for 2 months by the time they serve me the court papers.

My only concern is, what if it isn't just a 56 day ban? What if the court throws the book at me? Can they do this & would they/is it likely?

I have no previous convictions, clean licence for 6 years, first offence, use bike to ride to work etc.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: 134 in a 70 Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Long story short, pulled for 134 in a 70 on a dual carriageway. Was bound to happen with the way I've been riding recently lol so I'm not at all upset. Officer at the scene was a cheery chap, not giving me the third degree.

He said he's not doing me for dangerous driving, just excessive speed, and said the maximum I can get for that is a 56 day ban & £1000 fine.

I've checked insurance quotes and it's only an extra £300 with a 56 day ban & maximum fine for that offence, so really it's not that bad at the end of the day. Might just have to lay up the bike over winter for 2 months by the time they serve me the court papers.

My only concern is, what if it isn't just a 56 day ban? What if the court throws the book at me? Can they do this & would they/is it likely?

I have no previous convictions, clean licence for 6 years, first offence, use bike to ride to work etc.

I'd be waiting for the summons or checking any paperwork he gave you rather than trusting his word.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the media smell a story about deranged ton-up biker and frightened kittens that's far more serious crime than stabbing people or blowing stuff up.
Losing licence is almost guaranteed 56 days sounds on the low side I wouldn't bank on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:26 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that the coppers advice is generally correct although in extreme cases courts do have the discretion to disqualify you for up to 120 days. The fine is usually 150% of your weekly income up to a max of £1000. But it certainly looks likely that you will have to run the coronavirus gauntlet on public transport for several weeks.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: 134 in a 70 Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
I'd be waiting for the summons or checking any paperwork he gave you rather than trusting his word.

A quick Google shows someone get a 90-day ban for going 132 mid-last-year. So I too would wait and see (or even go to the library and look in Stone's).

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 20:31 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have is a slip with my details and the alleged offence.

The offence code is SV77011 - after some googling around that is:

Excess speed 70mph – dual carriageway £100 3 points - Speed awareness course available

This could mean jack shit though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

134? I thought you said your bike was fast?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:26 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think positive maybe you caught him in a good mood.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
The offence code is SV77011 - after some googling around that is:

Excess speed 70mph – dual carriageway £100 3 points - Speed awareness course available

Bargain if so. Is it a FPN?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:53 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: 134 in a 70 Reply with quote

Meef wrote:

He's correct about the maximum fine however the ban is down to the courts.

TBH, I'd be expecting a longer ban than 56 days for that.

They can throw the book at you if they want and I wouldn't want to speculate on the chances of the magistrate being in a shitty mood. You'll be going to court suited and booted, yes sir no sir I have no excuses or justifications for how fast I was going and I'm fully lubed up so my bum hole is ready.

That offense falls into band C for the sentencing guidelines so it's time to start preparing for the worse and hoping for the best.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 21:55 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsure if FPN yet- I've just got the yellow slip with the stated offence and I'll be waiting a couple months to get a letter in the post about the next steps.

Doubt it's going to be an FPN due to the speed I was at. 99% likely to be court date.

The investigating officer might've been in a good mood, but it all comes down to the courts discretion at the end of the day I guess.

...I did have the GoPro running and caught him on camera saying that there's some nice roads to do max-speeds down though Laughing Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:21 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% likely? Laughing You're not getting an FPN. You are going to court and they will mercilessly fuck you as hard as they want. Shocked

Plead guilty, grit your teeth and hope for the best. At least if you're expecting to get banned for 6 or 12 months (who knows) then anything less than that will be a bit of a win.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 22:23 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol yeah that's the harsh reality I need tbh. I'd be very happy with a 56 day ban. Fuck having to retake the tests.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol if you are as quick as you claim why not be a real man and start racing? I have zero tolerance for that sort of riding on the public road in all honesty, it’s not the mid 90’s anymore - being a twat on the road is socially unacceptable and utterly pointless when track time is so easily available. Personally I hope you get fined so heavily you starve to death - copper dun goofed not writing that up as DD.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 22:29 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Lol if you are as quick as you claim why not be a real man and start racing? I have zero tolerance for that sort of riding on the public road in all honesty, it’s not the mid 90’s anymore - being a twat on the road is socially unacceptable and utterly pointless when track time is so easily available. Personally I hope you get fined so heavily you starve to death - copper dun goofed not writing that up as DD.

Loool suck my dick

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:30 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Fuck having to retake the tests.

You'll only have to retake your test if they specifically decide that they want you to retake it.

It would be kicking you whilst you're down if they choose to inflict that on you. Laughing

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 22:37 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Meef wrote:
Fuck having to retake the tests.

You'll only have to retake your test if they specifically decide that they want you to retake it.

It would be kicking you whilst you're down if they choose to inflict that on you. Laughing

Laughing Tbh I'll take whatever they chuck and me and chalk it up to experience.

Shit loads of people in London just ride with no plate, no insurance, on chordy bikes and are a massive hazard to everyone.

Relatively speaking, briefly hitting 134 on an empty dual carriageway isn't really desecrating her majesty's highway to the highest degree and putting everyone in danger is it? When you think about the amount of cunts that fuck about in traffic like that on a daily basis.

End of the day it's whatever the court thinks is right. I'm not counting on the magistrates not being uppity snobs and chucking the book, book case, and library at me.

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:23 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: 134 in a 70 Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
... What if the court throws the book at me? Can they do this & would they/is it likely?

A quick looksie at some web pages for band C (over 101) doesn't bode well (I didn't think it was *that* bad):- "6 penalty points on their driving licence or disqualification from driving for up to 56 days. If disqualified for 56 days or more the driver will be required to apply for a new licence."

That last bit would really hurt (me) - if a true fact.

Still, no kittens hurt, eh ? Might win 6 pts (COFP most unlikely).

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:25 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
I'm not counting on the magistrates not being uppity snobs and chucking the book, book case, and library at me.

I would be, if you have a clear history, no problems in the past, they gon fuck you. If you had a few run insand shit, you'd probably get a slap on the wrist, because thats the law of laws. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:42 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably count in your favour if you had done some advanced rider training and maybe a speed awareness course before your court appearance. What with you being so contrite and sorry and all that.

I may have been doing a similar speed this weekend with a group of friends on a section of fairly twisty A-road but because the copper was going the other way in a landrover, all I got was headlights flashed at me.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I had anything like this was doing >110 in a car on the M25.

Yes, it did go to court but fortunately the speed thing on the plod car wasn't too accurate and they only had me consistently going over 90. Papers came through: court offered 5 pts and a £500 fine, i.e. please don't clog up our court system Wink Needless to say my solicitor said snap their arm off!

This was all pre-covid - the courts are fucked at the moment - you might get lucky Praying

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:39 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I got pulled for 57 in a 30, had a pretty similar experience with the officer (i.e. was friendly enough at the side of the road, no drama just the facts).

From memory, if it's a court summons they have six months from the date of the offence to get the summons to you.

In my case the summons was never sent. It relies on the officer doing all the paperwork for it back in the station and according to my police officer friend it's not the quickest of processes.

In my case, I was friendly to the lady the whole time, and the road was dead empty on a Sunday morning in a non built up area. My friend says in the same situation if he has fairly limited time in the station and a wodge of offences to write up, he may well turn a blind eye to one or two that he personally judges are less bad.

Enjoy your six month wait, I know the feeling Gagged

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:58 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to start 'identifying' as a transexual pansexual Jewish Muslim with mental health issues? Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:50 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: 134 in a 70 Reply with quote

Meef wrote:

They can give you a longer ban but is unlikely.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:55 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit about applying for a new license is because in the past you had to actually hand over the license for bans longer than 56 days.

Applying for a new license doesnt mean retaking tests, it means filling in a form and having your lisence reissued.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 11:03 - 20 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3