Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo Reply with quote

I'm a bit worried and confused about the situation in the US at the moment. The MSM seem to be all bent out of shape about Trump's Stormtroopers* (can he also shoot that kewl purple lightning from his fingers?!) in Portland whilst trying to skate over the fact violent riots peaceful protests have been going on night after night for almost 2 straight months Thinking

https://i.imgflip.com/48vypm.jpg

And over in Chicago the murder rate might triple what was managed in 2019. Apparently the police there have asked for Federal help and the local politicians are very upset about this.

What is actually going on?

*I'm wondering if the Democrats are likening themselves to the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars rather than, more accurately, the corrupt Jedi of the Old Republic.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:34 - 21 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once Princess Leia gave me the heave ho for Hans Solo I joined the Empire. Up Darth Vader.

In seriousness, it's just an excuse for rioting and looting. Just as it always is for a certain percentage of every group.

I don't know about America and how they control it simply because you never know who is carrying a gun. If it was me I'd shoot first and ask questions later just out of abject fear for my life.

The fact it's been going on so long means the local politicians have lost control and they need to get it back as soon as possible. America have the National Guard for that sort of thing which is an accepted use for them, unlike say using our army on the streets here.

Trump will squash it. His supporters will be jubilant. His enemies accusative. We will see who wins in the election, if it goes ahead.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 21 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get Easy-X's point though. Usually riots last a couple of days then it rains or something good comes on the telly. These seem to have been going on for far too long. Similar to the situation in France two years ago when the 'yellow vest' brigade rioted on and off for 4 months. Two democracies unable to pacify their inhabitants.

The respective governments must have made calculated decisions not to start shooting for fear of escalation and localised civil war. Not sure how long Trump will wait though, with an election coming up and the rioting demographic I would imagine leaning more towards the Democrats. Perhaps he is biding his time for maximum political effect?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 21 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So put America Love Island on telly, that should quell it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 21 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very hard to find actual facts on the Portland situation, this is about as official as I can find:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/seven-arrested-facing-federal-charges-after-weekend-riots-hatfield-federal-courthouse

Quote:
According to court documents, since May 26, 2020, protests in downtown Portland have regularly been followed by nightly criminal activity including assaults on law enforcement officers, destruction of property, looting, arson, and vandalism.

Of the seven arrested two are from out of state - not enough insurgents in Oregon apparently.

Can't find anything solid on it yet but apparently the "Wall of Moms" have now broken into Federal buildings and are attacking agents inside. Given these insurgents have the support of the state government I'm not quite sure how much further this has to go before it's officially a civil war?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 21 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first notice I have taken of this. They are getting themselves upset, aren't they. I sort-of wonder why, bearing in mind their crime figures, and who, mentioning no names at all because there seem to be two "sides" is trying to make political capital. I know nothing about it, and don't think I'm that interested, but I read this just now if you are interested:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-chicago-police-dhs-deployment-20200720-dftu5ychwbcxtg4ltarh5qnwma-story.html

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I worry about with this sort of thing is if it gets any more out of hand some agent is going to kill an insurgent - legitimately, accidentally, intentionally is irrelevant - and the whole country will go up like a powder keg.

Laugh if you like but the US is still a global superpower with a tooled up military and nuclear weapons headed up by an Orangutan. It doesn't bode well Sad

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:28 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
the US is still a global superpower with a tooled up military and nuclear weapons headed up by an Orangutan. It doesn't bode well Sad

How dare you! Trump is nothing like an Orangutan. Tut Tut

Orangutans are intelligent, caring, compassionate and sensitive. Laughing
#orangelivesmatter

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:

Orangutans
#orangelivesmatter

Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
the US is still a global superpower with a tooled up military and nuclear weapons headed up by an Orangutan. It doesn't bode well Sad

How dare you! Trump is nothing like an Orangutan. Tut Tut

Orangutans are intelligent, caring, compassionate and sensitive. Laughing
#orangelivesmatter

True. Thumbs Up Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

America is fecked any way you look at it. The best we can hope for is that we are not flooded by the ripples. The prudent thing might be to head for high ground anyway, whatever your personal definition of high ground might be, and assuming you can actually find any.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
America is fecked any way you look at it. The best we can hope for is that we are not flooded by the ripples. The prudent thing might be to head for high ground anyway, whatever your personal definition of high ground might be, and assuming you can actually find any.

High enough? Thinking

https://www.onlondon.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Screenshot-2020-06-10-at-16.40.01.png

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, they are already lapping at our feet. Maybe take comfort in the fact we won't be the only ones, if that helps. See you in the gulag. Or in the slums perhaps, scrounging for food in the bins of our masters, depending on how the US situation works out. Such choice!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some satisfying videos up on Twitter of the insurgents getting their asses kicked by the Stormtroopers Wink

https://twitter.com/i/status/1285940951005855744

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Laugh if you like but the US is still a global superpower with a tooled up military and nuclear weapons headed up by an Orangutan. It doesn't bode well Sad

The US downgraded from global superpower months ago, they're currently languishing at banana republic level and heading rapidly towards third world shithole status!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

The US downgraded from global superpower months ago, they're currently languishing at banana republic level and heading rapidly towards third world shithole status!

Really? I've not seen anything about them disbanding the military and mothballing all the tanks, planes and ships Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

The US downgraded from global superpower months ago, they're currently languishing at banana republic level and heading rapidly towards Marxist shithole status!

FTFY.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH Breitbart is even less trustworthy than CNN so I skipped over the rhetoric text and just watched the videos.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/07/23/watch-portland-mayor-joins-violent-protest-booed-by-protesters-tear-gassed-by-feds/

They really aught to have an IQ test over there before you're allowed to stand for public office, total cringe-fest Sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53550882

Quote:
Protesters and police in the city of Portland, Oregon, have clashed repeatedly in recent days. The confrontations have escalated since a deeply controversial decision by President Donald Trump to send federal law enforcement to the city. Under the US constitution, policing is a matter for individual states, not for the federal government.

Hang on, the Police aren't attending any riots since they were told by a judge they're not allowed to use full riot gear. Federal law enforcement is not the same as police. And under the US constitution the Federal government is perfectly entitled to defend Federal property, i.e. the Federal courthouse.

"But, but... Orange Man bad!" I expect a higher quality of journalism communist propaganda from my licence fee money Sad

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not fit narrative, does not compute!

Oops

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all completely and utterly potty, and the extremists on each "side" are as bad as each other. That there even are sides is indicative of "-ism". It's IMO racist to even mention race, except in purely descriptive ways. There are only two sorts of people on the planet, ones who are OK, and arseholes.

So there. Effit.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old news - but important in the new cancel culture times.

George Floyd protests: New York Times opinion editor resigns amid article row

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52959856

Quote:
The newspaper had initially stood by the publication but then said the article "did not meet" its standards. The change in position came after an outcry from both the public and staff over the piece, published on the newspaper's website last Wednesday. Some journalists did not come into work on Thursday in protest.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

US is a Cuntry of people who still believe in Gawd.
A crazy percentage of the crazy.
They have a mega population therefore small things can be growed (americanization) into a disproportionate effect.

Underground factions with mean political agenda are drumming up support by playing the sort of music that the yoots of Murica like to March to.

They will shoot y'all themselves sensible soon.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Old news - but important in the new cancel culture times.

George Floyd protests: New York Times opinion editor resigns amid article row

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52959856

Quote:
The newspaper had initially stood by the publication but then said the article "did not meet" its standards. The change in position came after an outcry from both the public and staff over the piece, published on the newspaper's website last Wednesday. Some journalists did not come into work on Thursday in protest.

Editor "fired" (as that's what really happened) for allowing someone to have a contrary opinion. Nice. And after it was published the staff said they "felt unsafe" Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riots are now "intensified peaceful protests" Laughing

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/509197-abc-news-mocked-for-peaceful-demonstration-intensified-report
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5