Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Batteries (or other things) and guarantees.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Batteries (or other things) and guarantees. Reply with quote

Moved from "The Workshop". About cheap batteries with longer guarantees and expensive things with short ones.:

Riejufixing wrote:
Manufacturers go to a great deal of trouble testing their products to calculate optimal limits for warranty policies to minimize warranty costs, and to maintain consumer confidence in buying their products.

I've just called Tayna, and had a chat to a helpful chap there, who saud that if a fault is detected within 6 months, they will collect the battery for examination, but if it's over 6 months, the consumer will have to return it for examination, and if a fault such as low CCA, a voltage drop on a cell, or whatever (but not physical damage, sulphation, ...) is found, a new battery will be dispatched and Tayna claim their money back from the manufacturer (I did not ask about postage cost if the fault was found after 6 months but before the end of the guarantee; I assume it would be refunded). I specifically asked about an expensive brand having half the guarantee period of an extremely cheap one, and he said "they don't have a lot coming back, they all last longer than the guarantee".

So there's a bit of a dilemma.

Battery A and battery B have the same specifications.

Battery A costs 1/4 of the cost of battery B.

Battery A has twice the guarantee of battery B.

Why shoud the consumer consider buying battery B? Because of the B's name? If battery B is a superior option, and really does last longer, why doesn't the company offer a much longer guarantee than battery A's, to improve sales?
Robby wrote:
I don't know about you, but I buy batteries based on brand reputation. A no-name battery could claim a 5 year warranty, I still wouldn't buy it because:
1. I don't trust them to actually honour the warranty.
2. A battery failing is a massive ballache. I have all of the costs/time outside of the battery itself to consider - getting me and the bike home, diagnosing the problem, removing the battery, having the bike off the road until I have a decent battery.

It isn't really worth saving £30 every 5 years if I don't trust the bike to work.

1) The warranty is provided by Tayna in this case, not the manufacturer.

2) But the likelihood is that it will not fail, as Tayna's man said.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of cheap batteries is quite a while ago but was mostly negative. I used to go through quite a few of the cheapest lead acid jobs available. Worst for killing them off was the cold weather, back then my bikes were kept outside and even with daily usage I'd expect at least one battery to die (at random) each Winter.

Now I suspect the reason Tayna will give them such a long warranty is 2 fold (purely conjecture).

First not many people bother to claim, it's hassle, takes time and the battery was cheap. I never made a warranty claim on a dead cheap battery, I needed the bike running so bought new ones on next day delivery and just chucked the old ones. False economy I know but at the time I was skint and the cost of a posh battery was too much.

Second the margins on these things is probably big, You can see on domestic Taobao how cheap a battery is in China. Buying them by the container with some branding applied is probably measured in peanuts. So if my first part is correct, then the low number of actual returns (that they actually honour) are probably not even a drop in the money they are making.

Nowdays with the exception of 1 Dynavolt all I use are Motobatt. I started doing this before the bikes got an indoor home and I never had a dead battery over winter. One thing is certain though at the price I pay for a motobatt, if it fails within warranty I definitely will be making a warranty claim.

So maybe the shorter warranty is because of the % fails the premium batteries get a higher % of actual returns, probably from people harder to fob off?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought it would be incredibly easy for a battery manufacturer to get out of paying a warranty. Too many user induced failures to mention compared with manufacturing failure.

I wouldn't mind betting the expensive batery manufacturers, Yuasa, motobat, trojan etc. honour warranty's just to keep their customer base happy. Cheapys aren't bothered if you are happy or not.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Now I suspect the reason Tayna will give them such a long warranty is 2 fold (purely conjecture).

First not many people bother to claim, it's hassle, takes time and the battery was cheap. I never made a warranty claim on a dead cheap battery, I needed the bike running so bought new ones on next day delivery and just chucked the old ones. False economy I know but at the time I was skint and the cost of a posh battery was too much.

Second the margins on these things is probably big, You can see on domestic Taobao how cheap a battery is in China. Buying them by the container with some branding applied is probably measured in peanuts. So if my first part is correct, then the low number of actual returns (that they actually honour) are probably not even a drop in the money they are making.

Nowdays with the exception of 1 Dynavolt all I use are Motobatt. I started doing this before the bikes got an indoor home and I never had a dead battery over winter. One thing is certain though at the price I pay for a motobatt, if it fails within warranty I definitely will be making a warranty claim.

So maybe the shorter warranty is because of the % fails the premium batteries get a higher % of actual returns, probably from people harder to fob off?

Hm, possibly people don't claim, true. However, if I have a failure, I tend to buy a new thing straight away, then deal with the return, instead of throwing the thing away, which seems sensible, as I am tight.

"You can see on domestic Taobao how cheap a battery is in China"? No speaka da lingo, got a link? That would be interesting!

Returns cost the vendor money, which again is a reason I'm reasonably confident about buying a cheaper equivalent if the guarantees are the same too. Again, this is being "economical".

It's worth noting that both Yuasa and Motobatt are also made in China.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I would have thought it would be incredibly easy for a battery manufacturer to get out of paying a warranty. Too many user induced failures to mention compared with manufacturing failure.

I wouldn't mind betting the expensive batery manufacturers, Yuasa, motobat, trojan etc. honour warranty's just to keep their customer base happy. Cheapys aren't bothered if you are happy or not.

The point is that it's the vendor (in this case Tayna) that bears most of the cost. They have to receive the battery, test it, and then claim off the manufacturer, and for a £20 battery, that's a lot of work - so why give it a long guarantee, instead of a short one?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

"You can see on domestic Taobao how cheap a battery is in China"? No speaka da lingo, got a link? That would be interesting!

JD (with location set to Beijing) not Taobao as I can't remember her login, Taobao is usually cheaper.

Bottom end pour your own acid job, this is the same kind of crap I used to buy. 65 yuan is about £7.

https://item.jd.com/65356433551.html

Bit posher looking, other than the labeling resembles many of the lesser brands on Tayna. 129 yuan is about £14 (about £8 cheaper than similar ones here).

https://item.jd.com/10020177482544.html#crumb-wrap

Those are retail delivered to Beijing.

My hatred of cheap batteries is founded on the first example.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

JD (with location set to Beijing) not Taobao as I can't remember her login, Taobao is usually cheaper.

Bottom end pour your own acid job, this is the same kind of crap I used to buy. 65 yuan is about £7.

https://item.jd.com/65356433551.html

Bit posher looking, other than the labeling resembles many of the lesser brands on Tayna. 129 yuan is about £14 (about £8 cheaper than similar ones here).

https://item.jd.com/10020177482544.html#crumb-wrap

Those are retail delivered to Beijing.

My hatred of cheap batteries is founded on the first example.

Wow! I haven't seen an unsealed one like the first one for about 20 years!

The second one translates as:

"British Bridge Dragon motorcycle battery battery 12v universal Wuyang Honda Haojue Suzuki Prince Yamaha Wildfire 125 booster scooter generator YTX12-BS (12Ah) length 150 width 87 height 130"

"https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fitem.jd.com%2F10020177482544.html%23crumb-wrap"

and looks as if it's SLA. Tayna have a cheap one, as you say £8 more, but that only has a 1-year guarantee.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get a Yuasa battery because I know they last. I don't need a longer warranty to back it up. Most people won't bother claiming on a warranty after a few years anyway, so it doesn't matter if they have a longer warranty.

It's ok to say for 6 months they'll bear the cost of returns etc. That's actually EU law - if the product develops a fault in the first 6 months, it's assumed to have had it from new, so it's their obligation to take it back with no cost to the owner.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:06 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day when i was racing karts.
they were based on a loss system meaning there was no charging of the battery during a race.

the number of people who's karts would fail during the race or refused to start properly at the start of the race was far too many.

Our spanners and team manager would insist that we all ran Yuasa batteries.

They were proven time and time again to be the best units.

(i posted this in the original thread but posted here as well)

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had not intended it to be a "my battery's better than yourn' use this brand" thread, more about guarantees and possibilities. Ho hum.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:04 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked how people decide which battery to buy. They told you.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I view a long warranty is they don't QC the product and they know 1 in 13 (say) will fail but hey, if you're unlucky 13 we'll give you a new one for free. Sod off, I'm stranded at the side of the road. I'd rather pay extra for something which does what it says on the tin. Fit and forget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
You asked how people decide which battery to buy. They told you.

No, I did not. I asked about opinions on guarantee and price.

YOU merely said., in the "workshop" thread, that you thoughtlessly buy on name alone.

There is a difference, you see. Hm, perhaps not. Never mind.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
The way I view a long warranty is they don't QC the product and they know 1 in 13 (say) will fail but hey, if you're unlucky 13 we'll give you a new one for free. Sod off, I'm stranded at the side of the road. I'd rather pay extra for something which does what it says on the tin. Fit and forget.

But why do firms e.g. those valued by robbies give such a short guarantee, when if they were better than others, they could give a longer one and increase customer's positive preception? The road is littered with firms that trade on reputation, but then start to produce shte.

This is the idea, not "Durr I buy THAT 'cos it's got a good name". It costs money for firms to have to deal with returns (see Tayna's exmple).

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably because, as xX-Alex-Xx says, it's the legal minimum, but they're not relying on it and would rather sell a premium product than have to take back, test and replace a cheaper, low quality one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:34 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

But why do firms e.g. those valued by robbies give such a short guarantee, when if they were better than others, they could give a longer one and increase customer's positive preception? The road is littered with firms that trade on reputation, but then start to produce shte.

Those firms built a good reputation over the years by providing a good product. They are already on top of a fairly small market, and don't need to offer more guarantee. Case in point, when someone asks what battery to buy on BCF there are always recommendations for Yuasa and Motobatt.

When they start producing shite, their reputation will fall apart in no time. There were a few reports of dodgy motobatt batteries a few years ago, don't know if they were a bad batch or fakes. For a while, loads of threads said to avoid motobatt.

Motorcycle batteries are a small market. the buyers include a high proportion of enthusiasts who are on forums, in clubs, or read the magazines and MCN. People ask for recommendations for parts, or read about good parts and remember when they're buying. Brand reputation matters.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:11 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally, your 'contract' is with the seller.
If something fails then your first port of call 'legally' is with the seller.
This involves the seller accepting the claim or they can 'handle it' on the buyer's behalf and submit the claims to the O.E.M. for solution.
The seller can inspect and advise is the fault meets the OEM return criteria too.

Depends on the product, the seller and oem. (And thenphaphery involved.)
Some sellers can absorb costs themselves for the sake of their rep and or a product loyalty deal with the OEM.
Confusing arises due to the above plethora of paths to happiness.

But Sale of Goods Act would be real guide.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Consumer Rights Act 2015 Wink

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
MCN wrote:

Quote:

who said that if a fault is detected within 6 months, they will collect the battery for examination, but if it's over 6 months, the consumer will have to return it for examination,

Which is just as above.

Any warranty is over and above your consumer rights. And you have to abide by their rules on claiming.

£20 battery is not worth the trouble to claim. And they know that. Only the odd one will claim and they will find a way to decline in in most cases. Or simply supply a new one as it won't be worth wasting any time on.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuasa at the higher end, Powerline at the lower end.
Motobatt has iffy QC. If you get a good one, great, but that is most certainly not a likely outcome.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 25 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
MCN wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sale_of_Goods_Act_1979

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Rights_Act_2015

It's been about that long since I've had to know about this.

👍
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1