Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ok, I'll ask

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Ok, I'll ask Reply with quote

When the obligatory face mask wearing indoors starts what's the crack with petrol stations? Will my full face helmet count or am I supposed to go to the faff of removing my helmet to put a mask on while I go indoors?
(Before anybody suggests Pay at Pump, that's not available everywhere, sadly!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Ok, I'll ask Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
When the obligatory face mask wearing indoors starts what's the crack with petrol stations? Will my full face helmet count or am I supposed to go to the faff of removing my helmet to put a mask on while I go indoors?
(Before anybody suggests Pay at Pump, that's not available everywhere, sadly!)

I don't think crash helmets count as "face coverings", but if you can get inside wearing a crash helmet, they probably won't moan.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 16:52 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started skipping any petrol station that isn't a pay-at-pump these days tbh. Cant be fucked getting off the bike.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:53 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody whinged at the weekend when I was up in Scotland. That said, my chinbar does cover both nose and mouth.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Ok, I'll ask Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Will my full face helmet count or am I supposed to go to the faff of removing my helmet to put a mask on while I go indoors?

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own
Boris wrote:
In the context of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, a face covering is something which safely covers the nose and mouth. You can buy reusable or single-use face coverings. You may also use a scarf, bandana, religious garment or hand-made cloth covering but these must securely fit round the side of the face.

So, as is usual for everything related to COVID-19 guidelines the official wording is pretty ambiguous in terms of legalities. But the unequivocal, easy way to 'stay legal' for bikers is surely just to use a neck tube, and if it's not already over your nose, just pull it up into position before you go into the shop

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 19:20 - 22 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Ok, I'll ask Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
1198 wrote:
Will my full face helmet count or am I supposed to go to the faff of removing my helmet to put a mask on while I go indoors?

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own
Boris wrote:
In the context of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, a face covering is something which safely covers the nose and mouth. You can buy reusable or single-use face coverings. You may also use a scarf, bandana, religious garment or hand-made cloth covering but these must securely fit round the side of the face.

So, as is usual for everthing related to COVID-19 guidelines the official wording is pretty ambiguous in terms of legalities. But the unequivocal, easy way to 'stay legal' for bikers is surely just to use a neck tube, and if it's not already over your nose, just pull it up into position before you go into the shop

Time to find / buy a neck tube then, an excellent idea thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wear a balaclava. It’s amazing how many places are ok with it now Wink

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
I've started skipping any petrol station that isn't a pay-at-pump these days tbh. Cant be fucked getting off the bike.

Slows down your average speed too much? Laughing

Honestly where does the helmet off stuff cone from? I've never once in over a decade been asked to remove my lid. I've been all over the UK.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Ok, I'll ask Reply with quote

1198 wrote:

Time to find / buy a neck tube then, an excellent idea thanks!

It's what I've been using at the shops. Not that it's required as yet.

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:29 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very rarely do I use a petrol station on a bike, apart from on a long run where I have to refuel. I have a petrol can in the car and when the bike gets down below half a tank I fill that during a car fuel stop and top the bike up at home.

I hate filling stations on a bike, having to deglove and take the helmet off then fighting through zips and Velcro fasteners to find some money. That and the likely hood of having to ride over spilt diesel near the pumps. The whole process seems to take forever.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin joe wrote:
I hate filling stations on a bike, having to deglove and take the helmet off then fighting through zips and Velcro fasteners to find some money.

Use a Shell station. They only require you lift your visor.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
smokin joe wrote:
I hate filling stations on a bike, having to deglove and take the helmet off then fighting through zips and Velcro fasteners to find some money.

Use a Shell station. They only require you lift your visor.

Honestly. I don't remember the last time. In fact I can't remember A time.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:54 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shell app. You can pay at pump with it at any shell station from your phone.

I don't think I've been inside a petrol station for over a year.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmet with visor down surely counts as a face shield?

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:16 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="arry"]
Meef wrote:

Honestly where does the helmet off stuff cone from? I've never once in over a decade been asked to remove my lid. I've been all over the UK.

I got asked to take my flipped up flip front helmet off at my local shell station. Stupidly expensive too, I don’t go there unless it’s an absolute emergency now. Sadly my crappy scoot has a milk bottle for a fuel tank so I have to on top of it at all times

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking this one through overnight. Not once in 12 ish years of riding have I been asked, EVER, to do anything other than pay.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I was thinking this one through overnight. Not once in 12 ish years of riding have I been asked, EVER, to do anything other than pay.

Thinking on your comment, the only time I had a cashier refuse to actuate the pump was when I tried to fill up while sitting on the bike.

I was on my Trophy, loaded with luggage and wifie so got close enough to stick the card in and grab the nozzle without getting off. Cashier refused to activate the pump and said I had to get off the bike to fill it.

A right faff getting wifie off then me, then putting heavy bike on centre stand, filling and then reverse operation.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Thinking on your comment, the only time I had a cashier refuse to actuate the pump was when I tried to fill up while sitting on the bike.

I was on my Trophy, loaded with luggage and wifie so got close enough to stick the card in and grab the nozzle without getting off. Cashier refused to activate the pump and said I had to get off the bike to fill it.

A right faff getting wifie off then me, then putting heavy bike on centre stand, filling and then reverse operation.

Thinking on that comment - the only time I've ever not had a pump activated was in the car. Filler on the right side, all the pumps busy and I don't like dragging the hose over the paintwork, so I reversed around onto a left sided pump - the filler is at the front of the car because the tank is in the front, so it actually works quite well in terms of everyone else getting in around me. But for some reason, the car had to be 'the right way around'. No idea why.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been asked to take my lid off countless times, even on the GS with a pillion, about as far from a dodgy moped teen as you get!

I tend to just go to Tesco now, can near guarantee they'll have pay at pump.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:01 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a complete cock refuse to accept payment until I took my lid off (having already filled up and was standing in the shop). I told him no problem, I'd go back out and pay at the night window. He then proceeded to remotely lock the door, trapping me inside.

If it hadn't been very late at night and me being very cold and wet (pissing down, pitch black and 90 minutes of high speed riding from home, hence wanting to leave my lid and gloves on) and needing to get home, I'd have robocopped my way out of the door. i did consider it, there was a handy fire-extinguisher and it was a glass door.

As it was, I took all the nozzles out of their holsters, put them on the ground then did a big smoky burnout on the forecourt on my way out.

He was a complete cock. A loud-mouthed cockney wanker know-it-all.

On another day, I'd have battered the cunt. He had a face and demeanour you'd never tire of hitting and I was fucking raging.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:15 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin joe wrote:
Very rarely do I use a petrol station on a bike, apart from on a long run where I have to refuel. I have a petrol can in the car and when the bike gets down below half a tank I fill that during a car fuel stop and top the bike up at home.

I hate filling stations on a bike, having to deglove and take the helmet off then fighting through zips and Velcro fasteners to find some money. That and the likely hood of having to ride over spilt diesel near the pumps. The whole process seems to take forever.

That seems like much more hassle?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one incident when I started to pump and somehow they shut it off with just 50p on the dial.
I refused to pay it as it clearly said minimum 0.5 litres (they may be different now) - in other words the amount was so small it could not be correctly measured.
I just rode away after arguing with him, and heard no more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been asked a fair few times. If they're total dribblers and refuse to use common sense, I vote with my money. Shell now have a company wide policy that you only need to lift your visor. I am a stubborn git, so I make my way clear across town to fill up if I'm "home", and I look for a Shell if I have to fill up when out and about. There's a couple of small ones that are fine with lids on some of the popular routes, and the usual supermarkets have pay at pump. You don't need to give your money to cockwombles that haven't got a clue why you don't fancy sticking several hundred quids worth of lid on some manky surface, or have it hang precariously off your mirror, not to mention the utter bollockache with faffing with chunky gloves etc in the winter.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wore this on the Woolwich Ferry the other day Laughing
The other two bike riders had flip top lids and no masks.
Nobody hassled them about it.

I nearly forgot to take it off when I got off the ferry Laughing
I can see how easy it would be to inflict it upon us at petrol stations as they already have that "no helmet" rule working quite well for them (despite the "cameras on the number plate at every pump" thing)

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Shell app. You can pay at pump with it at any shell station from your phone.

Not if you are a motorcyclist.

Same goes for BP.

Although Esso say it's OK.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2