Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anything Smaller Than Tiger 800 XCX?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:56 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Anything Smaller Than Tiger 800 XCX? Reply with quote

Hi all, I've got my test booked for the coming months so I'm looking at bigger bikes. My requirements are:

1) A smooth, non vibey engine.
2) An upright seating position like a dual sport. I find even most fairly "neutral" naked bikes to be too aggressive for my comfort.

These two things seem to be hard to find together because upright bikes are dirt focused and have either thumpers or twins, whereas smoother inline 4s are generally in sports or tourers which are too leant forward for my dad-bike preferences.

From looking around all I can see that fits my requirements is the Tiger 800 (specifically looking at the 2010-2014 model because its got a cable throttle, not ride by wire like the later ones). Or maybe the V-Strom 650? I'm currently riding a Hyosung 125 V twin and I don't love the engine, so I'm leaning away from V twins, however, I am aware that perhaps the V strom is more refined and smoother than my 125. Can anyone else think of a bike that suits my above requirements and is lighter than the 800 for easier city riding?

I would love to get an old Tenere 750 because thats sort of a... dream bike and there are tons of them cheap here in Spain, but I've heard the engine is super vibey and unrefined on that.

Last edited by CorriganJ on 15:17 - 23 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of adventure-styled bikes (that are road-focussed) about now that will give you the seating position you want; all the main manufacturers are making them now and from 300cc or thereabouts right up to 1200cc+, with singles (vibey probably), twins, triples and fours. If you're buying new/nearly new a lot of the modern twins are also pretty smooth compared with older stuff. Search about a short-list, then when you've passed test ride the ones you like the look of. Unless reviews are specifically banging on about a vibey engine, I wouldn't judge until you ride it.

FWIW I ride a bike that sounds like your requirements; VFR800X; upright (found the VFR800F involved too much leaning forwards), four cylinder that's buttery smooth and good visibility. It's lardy moving around by hand but nimble even when riding at walking pace through tight gaps in queuing traffic.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:13 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest the Triumph Thunderbird? Upright riding position and a lovely 3 cylinder engine that is smoother than a twin or single and almost as smooth as a 4 cylinder. Al motorcycle engines are going to vibrate to some degree unless you go for electric.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to be an F800GS hasn't it?

Bolt upright, very roomy, engine is smooth as you like. Bit tall in the seat maybe, but light enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda VFR 800 Crossrunner.
It's hard to get a smoother motor than that, bolt upright, and looks are much like many other modern adventure bikes.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:24 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
It's hard to get a smoother motor than that, bolt upright, and looks are much like many other modern adventure bikes.

Looks amazing - but 240kg wet weight? Is that correct? Tiger is only (!) 215kg?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is correct. They're a small moon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

VStrom 650? Not exactly masses of power but you can ride it all day long and be comfortable on it.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the Crossrunner is heavy but you only notice it when moving about by hand. Once moving it’s very agile. I love mine - it’s fun and exciting when I want it to be, yet it’ll settle into a cruise with good weather protection, heated grips and decent fuel range (get nearly 200 miles to a tank).

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:38 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Yamaha Tenere 700? I know it's a twin but it'll be lighter and I've heard it's nice and smooth. It's got the MT07 engine which everyone seems to love.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Crossrunner, but it has to be the gen 2 (2014+) if you want bolt upright and lower pegs. Definitely more comfortable. It's heavy to move around but you don't notice it once moving, it's nimble and low speed control is easy.

Vstrom 650 is smooth and comfortable and worth looking at if fuel economy is important. Crossrunner blows it away in performance terms though.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
What about a Yamaha Tenere 700? I know it's a twin but it'll be lighter and I've heard it's nice and smooth. It's got the MT07 engine which everyone seems to love.

fwiw i love the idea of those but wow they look uncomfy - seat-wise at least.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:28 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guzzi V85 would be worth a test ride. I don't like the adventure bike looks, but road testers have said nice things about them.
I have the V9. It does a good job of sounding lumpy at low revs when you want it to, but being smooth. It also avoids any of the secondary vibrations that make your fingers go numb that I have experience on other twins in the past - generally those have been old, cheap bikes though, which probably has something to do with it.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2019 CR manages mid-high 50s to the gallon even when squirting the throttle quite a bit - it’s surprisingly good given the VFR reputation. Economy around town is appalling though

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Looks amazing - but 240kg wet weight? Is that correct? Tiger is only (!) 215kg?

As said, you only notice it when moving it by hand. I think pretty much all Tiger's are a bit of an unweildy lump (A mate had both - the 900 Tiger *feels* heavier, but isn't in reality). Crosrunners are surprisingly good to hustle. It's surprisingly easy to hustle into a corner, tickle around town, cruise on an NSL road and even put on a centrestand. Aesthetics are subjective, I'd personally still pick a normal VFR over it on that alone, but the riding position rules that out for you. Go try one out before you discount the idea entirely, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Tiger 955i I owned an absolute doddle to manoeuver, push around and what ever. Even my Tiger Explorer 1200 wasn't to bad and the 800 is a featherweight in comparison.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
My 2019 CR manages mid-high 50s to the gallon even when squirting the throttle quite a bit - it’s surprisingly good given the VFR reputation. Economy around town is appalling though

Mine (MK1) seems to do 45mpg in pretty much all circumstances, my mates is the same :/

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:46 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I would love a tenere, but its a bit out of my prince range currently. Maybe in a few years when they are on the second hand market. I think they are still a bit vibey though? All the bikes I have ridden so far just rattle themselves apart and I don't enjoy that. Perhaps after having ridden something super smooth and gotten bored of it I would appreciate or at least live with something a little vibey.

Regarding the crossrunner (which I admit really looks interesting) I take it they are totally unsuitable offroad? One advantage of the Tiger is that if I did decide to do some light adventure riding all I need to do is throw on some better tires. Obviosly I'm not taking it on single tracks, but I could comfortably take it down any dubious looking gravel road without worrying too much.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Regarding the crossrunner (which I admit really looks interesting) I take it they are totally unsuitable offroad? One advantage of the Tiger is that if I did decide to do some light adventure riding all I need to do is throw on some better tires. Obviosly I'm not taking it on single tracks, but I could comfortably take it down any dubious looking gravel road without worrying too much.

Yeah, my workmate had it down a singletrack gravel road a few times - certainly outhandled my (Normal) VFR with ease on the same road. It's never going to be a Full on dual sport, but a gravel track won't upset it.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: No tenere. Reply with quote

I really wanted the tenere to be good, but spec it like a tiger 800xrt (when it came out) and it wasnt that much cheaper. But lacked 25bhp and carried similar weight. I run a 15xcx, it's handling (on Michelin anakee adventure) is brilliant on road and on the dry or loose trails it's fine. Crossrunner is top heavy in comparison when you push it off road, the 800gs hasn't the power and the Africa twin costs too much.

If you really, really want to go off road, the tiger is the best compromise. Otherwise the v-strom is the value for money choice.

Btw, the mapping settings on my xcx negate the fbw issue that some bikes have.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1