Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So, who's wearing a mask ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: So, who's wearing a mask ? Reply with quote

Not me,
I heard a lady in the queue outside bargainboozbinz
say she read on facebook that that they cause oxogin denial and make
the 5G devil rays collect around the face giving you bad aids face cancer.
fuck that

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the big deal about wearing a mask?

Is it just vanity or do people actually believe the nonsense about oxygen being blocked?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all over social media they got pictures and everything
so it must be true

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wore a mask in Lidl today. No problem.

It is all very silly - no matter what 'the science' says, if we haven't been wearing masks for the last 4 months, wearing them now is going to make little difference except by making people feel as if we are all in it together. A bit like clapping on a Thursday.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:15 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to wear a mask because I don't like having things over my face. It's very close to being a "thing". I only close my bike helmet if it's raining or I'm going so fast I can't see without it.

I also have an enormous beard which means normal surgical masks get pushed up onto my lower eyelids.

I do have a P3 respirator which fits properly but see point 1 and it's hella sweaty so I only wear it if I'm grinding/painting.

Meh, I'm going for the bank-robber style bandanna tied loosely above my nose and behind my head.

Going about town today looked like an Amish convention because everyone had black fabric facemasks hooked onto their ears and down under their chin like a strap-beard.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdeUpvyXYAE1k0-?format=jpg&name=large

So I said to the cashier 'Yes I'll wash them next time' Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
It is all very silly - no matter what 'the science' says, if we haven't been wearing masks for the last 4 months, wearing them now is going to make little difference except by making people feel as if we are all in it together. A bit like clapping on a Thursday.

Why is science in inverted commas?

How is now different from the first time we had the current level of deaths/infections?

It seems pretty clear that masks, if worn by a large % of the population, helps prevent the spread of viruses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to go with the Buff neckerchief thing but then saw a pack of 5 face masks which were a reasonable price. I’ve only seen them in this one shop though, which seems odd. Not worn one yet although I had one in my pocket when I went to the tip, just in case. Turns out a mask wasn’t required but I should have booked an appointment to visit the council refuse & recycling centre.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Why is science in inverted commas?

How is now different from the first time we had the current level of deaths/infections?

It seems pretty clear that masks, if worn by a large % of the population, helps prevent the spread of viruses.

I don't think the science was proven one way or the other, but the government accepted the know-it-all media's line that, "surely, instinctively, masks must provide protection."

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I don't think the science was proven one way or the other, but the government accepted the know-it-all media's line that, "surely, instinctively, masks must provide protection."

There are plenty of studies showing the effectiveness of masks at reducing the likelihood of transmission.

I just hate how this is a political thing now rather than based on science, logic and reasoning.

This country is turning more and more like the USA every year.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

There are plenty of studies showing the effectiveness of masks at reducing the likelihood of transmission.

At the start of the year when masks were discussed it was said the evidence wasn't sufficient to make masks compulsory. That went against instinct and now everyone selectively points to publications which say masks should be worn, and why are they doing that...

The Artist wrote:
I just hate how this is a political thing now rather than based on science, logic and reasoning.

Agreed.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to wear masks at work all day except during breaks.
We get issued 2 per person per shift, standard type, white one side, blue the other.
I've been driven to using a 4 inch strip of material with a button sewn on either end to join the ear loops around the back of my head because the loops make the backs of my ears all hurty.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:17 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the Kwik-e-Mart today, pulled my t-shirt up over my mouth and nose, don't think I gave Covid to anyone. Thumbs Up

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

These people on that interweb tell it like it is
They want to throw Gods wonderful breathing system out the door
now the dirty foreign bastards
Its a conspiracy!
Proof if any were needed cept for that woman at the end who probably
took a bung to say that and whipped the mask off after she was out the door
and spending the money on fags, lottery tickets 'n shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaFSH0K4BdQ

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think masks are racist. I'm not really sure why, but I'm sure they must be. I think they are being forced on us by the white heterosexual male patriarchy. This gives me the right to break into shops and take mobile phones and Nikes, which will solve the problem.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

At the start of the year when masks were discussed it was said the evidence wasn't sufficient to make masks compulsory. That went against instinct and now everyone selectively points to publications which say masks should be worn, and why are they doing that...

I think there was misunderstanding, mostly because normal folk were trying to form an opinion based on soshul meedya and logic correctly says that a simple cloth mask does not protect you from the virus in a meaningful way however that isn't the reason we are all supposed to wear masks now. It is to catch all the nasty droplets you exhale to protect others.

No one is saying a mask will protect you from getting it, if it is airborne around you, at least I hope not!

TBH, even if it reduces transmission by single digit %, it is probably worth it. Imagine being responsible for passing it on to someone vulnerable when you could have just worn a slightly uncomfortable mask.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:51 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fetching black mask rather like the one that nice Mr Trump wears, it's a single cloth layer, i can't say i think it does much good, but rules is rules Very Happy

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I do think a mask is better than nothing judging by the inability of the average shopper to respect the social distancing guidance.

It was the clamour to criticise the government's approach which made them change their advice, not the science. Once the government u-turns, those same critics argue the other way, or find a new complaint. As The Artist said, it's all politics.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been required in Spain the whole time in shops but inexplicably their infection rate is still going up again.
People are constantly fiddling about with them which means touching your face close to eyes and mouth which is exactly what you shouldn't be doing.
Then they take off what's essentially a used handkerchief and touch things you might handle next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Then they take off what's essentially a used handkerchief and touch things you might handle next.

Sorry, my fly was undone Embarassed
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to wear a mask and my 'I can't breathe' T-shirt.

Then i'll be allowed to take it off for fear of me calling people rasis Razz

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Indeed, they have been used medically, and in operating theatres, for a hundred years of more - to reduce the transmission of germs.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: So, who's wearing a mask ? Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I heard a lady in the queue outside bargainboozbinz
say she read on facebook that that they cause oxogin denial and make
the 5G devil rays collect around the face giving you bad aids face cancer.

I have purchased a pack of 50 disposable masks, for £20.

As long as they are not physically damaged, they can be re-used (see medical literature). The decontamination process is "hang them up to dry and leave them for 5 days plus", which means any virus will be long gone, and as long as they're not gooey or filthy, they will be perfectly OK.

I'd say they will last me for around a year, as long as the rules don't change.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I've been driven to using a 4 inch strip of material with a button sewn on either end to join the ear loops around the back of my head because the loops make the backs of my ears all hurty.

As possibly posted earlier:

https://www.medisave.co.uk/face-mask-strap-fastener-ear-guard-dark-red-pack-of-5.html

When back in stock, or possibly stocked in a different colour, or from a different vendor, or DIY.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The Artist"normal folk were trying to form an opinion based on soshul meedya.../quote]
Oh dear God in heaven above.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3