Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

60mph through motorway roadworks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: 60mph through motorway roadworks Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53541440

Love the little dig at the end:

Unite Union wrote:
Already motorists frequently drive into coned-off areas. At increased speeds, it will make such potentially lethal accidents even more common.

Frequently?! I've seen plenty of motorway accidents and I've never once seen one involving roadworks. Not saying it doesn't happen of course, just sayin' not seen it in >20 years on the road Thinking

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:29 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: 60mph through motorway roadworks Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53541440

Unite Union wrote:
Already motorists frequently drive into coned-off areas. At increased speeds, it will make such potentially lethal accidents even more common.

How can that equate to MORE common? Won't it be the same accidents but just faster?

Anyway, slow driving IS the cause of accidents. These numptys think they have time to multitask whist driving, instead of concentrating on the road. We need more accidents so that people realise they DO actually happen and not just on the TV.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Already motorists frequently drive into coned-off areas

Good job there's rarely anyone working in the coned off area.
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50 was a joke anyway. Lorries drive through them on their speed limiter which is faster than 50 but not fast enough to trip the average speed cameras while cars (usually) stick at 50.

Anyway, with the rise in unemployment there are plenty of replacements for squashed workmen.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:00 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Previously, unions have said increasing speeds through roadworks will put the safety of workers at risk.”

As Jimbo says, good luck finding one.

As I am sure everyone knows, huge empty stretches of coned off motorways with low limits mean people switch off. That’s dangerous.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:43 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The 50 was a joke anyway. Lorries drive through them on their speed limiter which is faster than 50 but not fast enough to trip the average speed cameras while cars (usually) stick at 50.

This. The "other drivers" mentioned in the article is just a nice way of saying HGV bullies. They should have just raised it to 57 Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:28 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through roadworks on the M6 around Stafford last weekend and they'd bumped it up to 60.

People seemed happy to sit at that speed and It felt a lot more comfortable with better lane discipline all round.

85th percentile rule and all that.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:00 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: 60mph through motorway roadworks Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Frequently?! I've seen plenty of motorway accidents and I've never once seen one involving roadworks. Not saying it doesn't happen of course, just sayin' not seen it in >20 years on the road Thinking

Some people are blind to roadworks.

Round about 1999-2000 I was working in the Dartford Tunnel at night cutting out the road deck. We would cut out a section 7 metres long and this big gantry crane would lift out the road and drop in a new piece.

One Saturday night two cars full of people somehow managed to get through the coned off area with all the blazing lights and signeage, drove down the tunnel and stopped at the barriered-off bit right in front of the 7 metre wide gap.

I walked over to the driver's door, the driver would his window down and said "Can we get through?". I said "Sure, but I hope you brought sandwiches. We'll put the new section in about 4am and we'll be opening the road for 6"

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done it in a car but there's been a few times I've seen "Road Closed" and seen if I can sneak through on the bike. Though with reference to the original story I'm talking residential roads at <20 mph.
salimD This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 29 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

a stretch of mway near me, has been a 50mph zone, with average speed cameras for a few years now. being changed to the smart system.
i hope i dont get to much hate when i say that i actually prefer it to the 70 limit.
i find that im a lot less tense at the lower speed in the car than on the usual 70+ cruising speeds.
i guess im getting old Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 29 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
a stretch of mway near me, has been a 50mph zone, with average speed cameras for a few years now. being changed to the smart system.
i hope i dont get to much hate when i say that i actually prefer it to the 70 limit.
i find that im a lot less tense at the lower speed in the car than on the usual 70+ cruising speeds.
i guess im getting old Crying or Very sad

Yes, yes you are Wink On a bike I'd sympathise. Filtering through sub-20mph traffic in the City is fun (for me anyway.) Doing the same with lorries rammed up against their speed limiters is a different kettle of fish Shocked

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 01 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you work it out, you can always go a bit faster anyway and play the 'overtaking at 1mph faster than you' game without getting flashed.
For a start car speedos are inaccurate, using the satnav gets you an instant 5mph over anyone not using one.
Then you have the leeway, say another 5mph over anyone sticking to satnav speeds.
Lastly you have other vehicles doing the same, and so try and go for the 1mph faster to keep overtaking them!

Personally I much prefer relaxing at the signed limits and watching other drivers doing this Laughing

One thing that does annoy me though, why do they shut miles and miles of motorway lanes, all coned off and no-one working on them!? Surely it would be more convenient to drivers to shut shorter lengths of motorway and move along more frequently as the work is done?
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Rockburner
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:23 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

One thing that does annoy me though, why do they shut miles and miles of motorway lanes, all coned off and no-one working on them!? Surely it would be more convenient to drivers to shut shorter lengths of motorway and move along more frequently as the work is done?

It's significantly safer for the work crew.

(Yes - I know there's often no visible work crew - maybe they're down under the bridge that you can't actually see from the road? Maybe it's Sunday? Maybe they're stuck in the traffic behind you on the way to the site? - loads of random reasons).

One other thing to bear in mind on smaller roadwork jobs: there's a rule that says any one person can only use a road-drill (or similar very noisy piece of machinery) for 15 minutes in any given hour. So - if you want to have a road-drill used for an hour, you need 4 blokes available. That's why you often see 1 guy working and 3 others standing around. They're waiting for their turn.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockburner wrote:

One other thing to bear in mind on smaller roadwork jobs: there's a rule that says any one person can only use a road-drill (or similar very noisy piece of machinery) for 15 minutes in any given hour. So - if you want to have a road-drill used for an hour, you need 4 blokes available. That's why you often see 1 guy working and 3 others standing around. They're waiting for their turn.

Is there bollocks any such rule. ELV times for hand-arm vibration are specified over an 8 hour day and whilst rotation can be specified as a control measure it's not factored into the exposure limits. Also, hitting your exposure limit (or taking a rotation break) doesn't mean that a person can do nothing but watch someone else work, you can do any other work which doesn't involve using a tool where HAV control measures apply.

3 people watching one work is usually a fucntion of poor planning or lazy bastard workmen. There is ALWAYS something else to do.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:13 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

' momentarily distracted ' like that is careless driving. Shame you weren't done to fuck for it.
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:40 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats because you are a complete arsehole that only cares about you.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 02 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

One thing I do know to be true is the most likely accident involving a motorway worker and a vehicle is when they're laying out the cones. Several orders of magnitude higher risk so they only want to do it the once.

bobnlesley
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:35 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I've not done it in a car but there's been a few times I've seen "Road Closed" and seen if I can sneak through on the bike...

we were once in Italy and got diverted due to a 'road closed' sign, then a an hour or so later were sat in a bar overlooking the opposite end of the same road; the sign at that end only said 'deformed road surface' and cars were going down it, so once we'd finished our beers we headed down it too. A mile or so later we discovered the signage variation and it was classic Italian: The whole road had sunk causing a 6" high step right across it, so if you wanted to drive up said step the road was closed, but going the other way you could just gun it and jump your car/bike over the edge. Laughing

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:37 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has got to be the shityist cone laying machine ever built.

Now you'd think that if you spend a small fortune designing a labour saving device it would be ten times faster, especially in this senario

This bunch of muppets would be faster doing it by hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgUzFiY49Gc

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:26 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Anyway, with the rise in unemployment there are plenty of replacements for squashed workmen.

This.

Making everyone stick to 50mph (or what they THINK is 50mph but because of the inaccuracies of their speedo is actually around 45mph) it just makes it more dangerous having to fuck around with lorries going faster than the pricks in the outside lane who refuse to move over. Lorries are limited to about 56mph so anything less than that is unsafe in my opinion. You don't wanna be fucking around alongside a lorry doing the same speed as it in its blind spot, you want to be able to pass it without hanging around for too long.

You could in theory be prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit by 1mph but the National Police Chiefs Council recommends 10% + 2mph and the vast majority of constabularies stick to this. I've been happily doing 10% + 1mph for the last 15 years or more (and that's satnav speed, not speedo speed, so in reality speedo reading about 82mph I'll be doing 78mph on the satnav) and never got a ticket while doing those speeds, and my work has taken me all over the country at times through speed traps under many different constabulary jurisdictions. Lorry drivers know this and as you say will sit at 56mph undertaking all the plebs doing 45mph in a 50mph.

60mph is far safer.

I will admit though it never ceases to amaze me the number of people virtually asleep at the wheel (night and day). You approach a roadworks section with signs advising a lane blocked off in 800 yards... 700 yards... 600 yards and so on. They carry on in the same lane then wake up right at the last minute and swerve over. That's just shit drivers though, 50mph or 60mph either way it's still going to happen.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1