Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2003 Yamaha DT 125, reliable?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: 2003 Yamaha DT 125, reliable? Reply with quote

I turned 17 this year and regrettably purchased a second hand keeway txm (Chinese) which is poorly made and falling apart, I rode it for a week before the piston rings failed and needed replacing. I'm not comfortable keeping it and would prefer something which can happily sit at 60mph and not fall apart. I've found a 2003 2 stroke Yamaha DT 125R for £2000 with almost 15000 miles which I'm very interested in purchasing, but can I depend on it not the break down? (At least not often). I can afford the bike and the insurance but I'm digging into my savings and I can't really afford to be replacing parts often, thanks for any advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:38 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of money but if it's tidy, great. For 2k you could try and find a Varadero 125. Change the oil regular and that's that.

DT will wear rings by nature, not too often, but they do need a rebuild where as 4 strokes tend to not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: 2003 Yamaha DT 125, reliable? Reply with quote

Rjgk2012 wrote:
I turned 17 this year and regrettably purchased a second hand keeway txm (Chinese) which is poorly made and falling apart, I rode it for a week before the piston rings failed and needed replacing.
I've found a 2003 2 stroke Yamaha DT 125R for £2000 with almost 15000 miles which I'm very interested in purchasing, but can I depend on it not the break down? (At least not often). I can afford the bike and the insurance but I'm digging into my savings and I can't really afford to be replacing parts often, thanks for any advice.

Did you fix your Keeway? What's so bad about keeping it?

My guess is that you will have to spend money on a DT125 that's as old as you are, especially if it's a black and wet-looking thing.

I would look at eBay sold prices to see what the general idea is. As Paddy. says, you could get a Varadero. For £2k there are lots of options, but if your budget is tight, I would try not to spend that much. Keep your savings as much as possible, add to them if you can, because without any you will be k-nackered.

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Lots of money but if it's tidy, great. For 2k you could try and find a Varadero 125. Change the oil regular and that's that..

I had a look and found a local varadero for £1500 with cheaper insurance, I would end up spending £900 less than I would if I paid full price for the dtr when I take delivery and insurance into account. The varadero is a 2004 model with 40,000 miles on it, is this too high or can it be trusted? It's not quite as exciting as the dtr but I think I can live with that.

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: 2003 Yamaha DT 125, reliable? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Did you fix your Keeway? What's so bad about keeping it?

My guess is that you will have to spend money on a DT125 that's as old as you are, especially if it's a black and wet-looking thing.

I would look at eBay sold prices to see what the general idea is. As Paddy. says, you could get a Varadero. For £2k there are lots of options, but if your budget is tight, I would try not to spend that much. Keep your savings as much as possible, add to them if you can, because without any you will be k-nackered.

The keeway has been sitting at the garage for almost a month as I've been waiting for the new piston to arrive. I'm afraid that it will break again and I'll have to wait another month to get it sorted. It's rusting in many places and has a top speed of 55mph meaning I can only comfortably sit at 50, but its not that comfortable because everyone is over taking me. My insurance ran out last week so I'm having to sort that out anyway and I'd rather sell it now while it's still worth something. I've found a local 2004 varadero for £1500 with 40,000 miles, do you think I can trust it? Thanks for the advice, I'm usually very frugal.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent DTR is reliable as sunrise, I would expect the top end to do 20k between rebuilds and the crank twice that providing run on decent oil.

It just depends how good the bike you are looking at is. My mate has one (full power / French import) that is mechanically perfect because he went right through it, however I wouldn't think that to be the norm.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:37 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no point asking whether any make/model of bike is good, particularly for 125s. Most of the bikes are fundamentally sound designs, but you don't know what has happened to them between leaving the factory and getting into your hands.

On 125s, they are generally owned by young, new riders with more confidence than skill. That means more crashes, more cack-handed maintenance, and more dodgy modifications.

Assess both the bike and the owner. If the owner of the 40k varadero is a grownup who has owned it for several years and has either service records or a garage full of tools, it should be a good bet. If it has 10 owners on the logbook and the last owner had it a year and can't provide any evidence of maintenance, walk away.

If you can take along someone that knows more than you to look it over, you can find out if its any good and probably negotiate the price down.

Paddy had a Varadero 125 with over 100k on the clocks, so they can last that long if serviced. Run it out of oil and the engine will be dead in a few miles.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: 2003 Yamaha DT 125, reliable? Reply with quote

Rjgk2012 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
8<

The keeway has been sitting at the garage for almost a month as I've been waiting for the new piston to arrive. I'm afraid that it will break again and I'll have to wait another month to get it sorted. It's rusting in many places and has a top speed of 55mph meaning I can only comfortably sit at 50, but its not that comfortable because everyone is over taking me. My insurance ran out last week so I'm having to sort that out anyway and I'd rather sell it now while it's still worth something. I've found a local 2004 varadero for £1500 with 40,000 miles, do you think I can trust it? Thanks for the advice, I'm usually very frugal.

Is that black & grey? Anyway, get the number plate and check the MOT history to see what sort of use it's had. I've no idea whether 40,000 miles is a killer, but there do seem to be some around that mileage. I would do the normal - try and find out what maintenance it's had, what usage it's had, whether it makes any nasty noises - and if buying it change the oil/filter and be absolutely religious about it in future. Also check condition of tyres, chain, general consumable things you don't want to have to change straight away.

How's your mechanicing? Reasonable I juess if you're doing the top end on your Keeway.

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
There is no point asking whether any make/model of bike is good, particularly for 125s. Most of the bikes are fundamentally sound designs, but you don't know what has happened to them between leaving the factory and getting into your hands.

On 125s, they are generally owned by young, new riders with more confidence than skill. That means more crashes, more cack-handed maintenance, and more dodgy modifications.

Assess both the bike and the owner. If the owner of the 40k varadero is a grownup who has owned it for several years and has either service records or a garage full of tools, it should be a good bet. If it has 10 owners on the logbook and the last owner had it a year and can't provide any evidence of maintenance, walk away.

If you can take along someone that knows more than you to look it over, you can find out if its any good and probably negotiate the price down.

Paddy had a Varadero 125 with over 100k on the clocks, so they can last that long if serviced. Run it out of oil and the engine will be dead in a few miles.

Yeah for sure, I'm trying to arrange to view a couple of bikes tomorrow including the varadero and a honda GLR, I would like to think that I'm competent in motorbike maintenance and will be able to tell if it's been looked after or not. The seller has service history available so that should help.

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: 2003 Yamaha DT 125, reliable? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Is that black & grey? Anyway, get the number plate and check the MOT history to see what sort of use it's had. I've no idea whether 40,000 miles is a killer, but there do seem to be some around that mileage. I would do the normal - try and find out what maintenance it's had, what usage it's had, whether it makes any nasty noises - and if buying it change the oil/filter and be absolutely religious about it in future. Also check condition of tyres, chain, general consumable things you don't want to have to change straight away.

How's your mechanicing? Reasonable I juess if you're doing the top end on your Keeway.

Yes, black and grey, it's only an hour's drive from my house so I'm trying to arrange to view it tomorrow along with a 2016 honda GLR for the same price which could be more hopeful. I'm no expert at mechanics, I only started learning about a year ago when I bought a silly little moped to get around, it was 20 years old and slowly falling apart so I had to learn how to fix just about every part. I also learnt about pretty much every aspect of fuel injection and 4 stroke engines while trying to diagnose my dying keeway. Thanks to the internet I would say I'm now quite competent in mechanics and hopefully competent enough to tell if a bike has been abused or not. I'm still waiting for the seller to reply but perhaps I'll be able to bring a bike home tomorrow afternoon... exciting.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, it's looking a little unloved at that fairly high price point. No top-box. Check the thickness of the disks as well as tyres and other consumables. Note the vendor seems to buy bikes to "do up". and sell them on. Check it's not "Cat C", too, or else it would be far too much money.

Perhaps you could invite someone else who's replied to look at the single picture I can see, assuming it's the same bike, and comment?

Do get the number plate details to look up previous MOTs before you go. It might be possible to find out other information, too, "as it's a drive please send more pictures".

Try and not be in a hurry, there are more 125s in the pool.

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I have to say, it's looking a little unloved at that fairly high price point. No top-box. Check the thickness of the disks as well as tyres and other consumables. Note the vendor seems to buy bikes to "do up". and sell them on. Check it's not "Cat C", too, or else it would be far too much money.

Perhaps you could invite someone else who's replied to look at the single picture I can see, assuming it's the same bike, and comment?

Do get the number plate details to look up previous MOTs before you go. It might be possible to find out other information, too, "as it's a drive please send more pictures".

Try and not be in a hurry, there are more 125s in the pool.

Change of plan again, the guy is letting me have the dtr for £1850, he's rebuilt the top end, serviced the bottom end, rebuilt the brakes and seems to have taken really good care of it. I can comfortably afford this and the insurance. It's a bike I've always liked the look of and I'll take good care of it to keep it going strong. I'm not too bothered if I have to rebuild the top end once a year or so, I believe somebody else on this thread suggested every 15000 miles. I'm going on a road trip tomorrow to pick it up. Thanks for all of the help.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rjgk2012 wrote:
Thanks for all of the help.

Well don't forget to post pics and continue to partake!

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Rjgk2012 wrote:
Thanks for all of the help.

Of course, I'll definitely stick around.

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

I got the DT last night and it's absolutely brilliant, the acceleration is insane for a 125. I'll post some pictures later, once I can get on my computer, probably tomorrow. I was worried about the amount of money it cost but now that I've ridden it I know it's worth it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1