Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake calipers - portable air compressor recomendation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Brake calipers - portable air compressor recomendation Reply with quote

Hi,

So in the near future I'll be running a FZS600 (MK1 box-eye) with the blue spot Yamaha calipers, and of course the notorious standard rear caliper that is known for gunking up (although how often, or bad, it gets I'm yet to experience). I'm aware it can be swapped out for a FZS1000 with a bit of file work to the FZS600 bracket, but my question stands weather I upgrade down the line or not (due to design of both being similar, if not same).

I'm looking for recommendations on what PORTABLE air compressor would be suitable for for removing the pistons from this caliper (and in general, since from time to time I work on a few different ones, but keep it specific to the FZS600 for now).

I've found the below one, but am not sure if it contains all the bits I'd need:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-air-case-2ltr-electric-portable-air-compressor-230v/2234v

I'm aware you're supposed to work on one side, re-fit and then attach the other but I'm looking at spending short term to save time long term. I don't have space for a full sized compressor (providing the one I link can be stored indoors without risk of fire -- nothing internally I need to know about?).

Also, if the one linked does contain all the bits, best method of use? IE: Banjo bolt, cut piece of hose with pipe shoved in; air gun straight down the banjo hole etc?

I'm aware you can use foot pumps, but I'm looking at portable compressors to save time where hydralic fluid may not work or can't be used (raining outside etc, but have the time to work on caliper indoors away from bike).

May take recommendations on cheap foot pumps, but only if you've got a link to one you've used with attachments on gunked up calipers. Plug (wall sockets) mini compressors that have all the bits I'd need can be considered also, but mainly looking at the one I've linked unless similar design elsewhere cheaper.

Thanks (wont be able to reply until later, not ignoring any help given).

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:28 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this job many times. I have never used compressed air, just pump them out using the brake lever. Once they are most of the way out you can pull them out by hand. Far more controllable than using compressed air.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:09 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another trick if they are mega stuck (even better than a compressor) is to blank off the banjo bolt using a plain bolt and pump them out with a grease gun on the nipple.

You can get 10,000+psi out of a manual grease gun.

Or put a rowl-bolt into the pistons (assuming they are hollow ones) and slide-hammer them out

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling pistons is a messy job. Your reasoning is to do it inside, no, just do it outside. Does it matter that much if you get a bit wet? Are you British? Should be used to it.

Regular servicing, plus never pushing dirty pistons back in, will avoid this problem. As said above, pump the pistons out evenly before splitting if it is a 4 or 6 pot, using spacers to hold the free pistons back, but often that is not enough to pull the pistons by hand. Single piston rears are easy, just pump all the way out, keep the master topped if it runs low.

You dont want a good air compressor for brakes. Hydrualic fluid likes to go up the hose, use a check valve to prevent that. Air is a spring with a lot of energy, so I prefer low flow, no tank. Cheap tyre inflators will do 150 psi and is what I use. A momentary foot switch, and bench mounted vice to hold caliper, will free up your hands maake much easier.

Often one piston comes out easy leaving another stuck. Use a clamp to constrain the free piston in the bore. I wrap the caliper half in old rags to prevent the piston shooting out, and to catch the fluid.

More than once I have been lazy, wrapped the piston with rubber sheet or cloth and pulled it while rotating with waterpump pliers. I have never marked a piston this way but it is not recommened, easy to fuck up if not careful.

The 12 quid Ring branded inflators from wilko are adequate for tyres and brakes. If you are not spraying or using air tools you wont need anything better, it will fit under seat. Cordless tools beat air tools anyway.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I've done this job many times. I have never used compressed air, just pump them out using the brake lever. Once they are most of the way out you can pull them out by hand. Far more controllable than using compressed air.

Assume you mean rebuild one side, re-connect and bleed then work on the other side and then final reconnect to bleed and leave on bike?

Or is there room for all four pistons (or two) to be pulled out if pumped out together?

Just realised you can spit the rear, but the sealing washer seems not to be around and the manual says not to split. Would a rubber o ring from one of the generic kits like this work or it best to leave alone?

https://yampart.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/YAMAHA-FAZER-FZS600-INSIDE-REAR-BRAKE-CALIPER-TAKEN-APART-PROBLEMS-YAMPART.COM-USED-PARTS.jpg

Basically I'm just trying to figure out if when the job approaches I'll have to do above (pump out, service, bleed and same for other side) or if faster way.

stinkwheel wrote:

Interesting. I've never used a grease gun before as calipers I've worked one had room for a brake piston caliper kit like this.

The grease gun have a grease cartridge inside? If so what type? Or does it act as a sort of air pump when correct fitting to bleed nipple as nowhere to escape. Sorry to be basic.

Assuming any old one from Screwfix or alike would work.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
The 12 quid Ring branded inflators from wilko are adequate for tyres and brakes. If you are not spraying or using air tools you wont need anything better, it will fit under seat. Cordless tools beat air tools anyway.

Interesting. I have a spare battery that I use from time to time to test various items. May be able to get a cigarette lighter.. wire it up to that and use it (no car) if ever needed. Thumbs Up

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

The grease gun have a grease cartridge inside? If so what type? Or does it act as a sort of air pump when correct fitting to bleed nipple as nowhere to escape. Sorry to be basic.

This idea is so cool! Wish I'd have thought of it. Probably doesn't matter what kind of grease, it's all going to be cleaned out anyway and replaced with brake fluid. I suppose some light grease that might penetrate better would be best, white lithium grease comes to mind.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:48 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Assuming any old one from Screwfix or alike would work.

Cartridge ones are easiest and least messy to fill. On non-cartridge ones, you can re-use the grease by putting it back in afterwards. It's effectively a manual hydraulic pump. They normally force grease into bearings but they'll force it into anything really.

People use ordinary grease guns to hydroform sheet steel.

https://youtu.be/A66iw8P5NQ4?t=300

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Just realised you can spit the rear, but the sealing washer seems not to be around and the manual says not to split. Would a rubber o ring from one of the generic kits like this work or it best to leave alone?

No, use proper brake seals, example I just bought these. If they are in good condition I would normally reuse.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR600-Brake-Caliper-Inner-Joint-Seal-x2/324152573901

See
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZR600-R-rear-brake-caliper-seal-rebuild-repair-kit-set-1994-1995/163402718310

Last edited by kramdra on 00:50 - 28 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Not piston fluid / dust seals. Doh!

I'm referring to the "flat rubber sealing washer" that is between the two parts of the caliper, and since its not for sale or listed on Fowlers etc I assume is why Yamaha workshop manual says do not split.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Cartridge ones are easiest and least messy to fill. On non-cartridge ones, you can re-use the grease by putting it back in afterwards. It's effectively a manual hydraulic pump. They normally force grease into bearings but they'll force it into anything really.

Really does look like the simplest way, if not a little messy. Just looked at how to load one up / how it works on YT. Seems cheap enough for the use it would get (cost of 400 ml multi purpose grease cartridges, that is).

Is there a good way to know if the adapter will fit the bleed nipple before buying. Assume one like this is best chance?

Imagine things would need to be sparkling clean before re-fitting (Ie: extra attention to ensure bleed nipple isn't full of grease etc).

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
kramdra wrote:

I'm referring to the "flat rubber sealing washer" that is between the two parts of the caliper, and since its not for sale or listed on Fowlers etc I assume is why Yamaha workshop manual says do not split.

I linked a kit, it is part of the kit. If you dont want the kit you can find and chase part numbers your self.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:38 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually had to do it in fairness. Just aware of the technique. The ends of grease guns are usually adjustable for different diameter nipples.

You'll usually be able to pump them out with the normal hydraulics though. I've never not been able to. Even if I had to pump one piston out then put it back in and re-bleed it and pump the next one out.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbFKSy9oA0A

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Ajw5zh1ts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:29 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Assume you mean rebuild one side, re-connect and bleed then work on the other side and then final reconnect to bleed and leave on bike?

Or is there room for all four pistons (or two) to be pulled out if pumped out together?

I would get both calipers off the bike, but still connected to hydraulics. Leave the pads in for the first bit, and pump the lever. You may need to top up the master cylinder to get all 8 pistons pushing out and clamping the pads.
Then remove one pad from each caliper and keep pumping. Depending on how long the pistons are, some of them might pop out at this point or be far enough out to pull them the last few mm. It may be that you have to split the calipers to get the pistons out, I'm not familiar with this model.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:32 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TDM900 with blue spot front and rears. it has 105,000 miles on it. It has never had the front calipers rebuilt and I rebuilt the rear once. I would clean them every time I put new pads in the front, and maybe once between pad swaps towards the end of winter. The Brakes are still excellent.

If it was to need a front rebuild I would buy somethign like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Tools-Direct-Motorcycle-Removal/dp/B017SZ6DDM

Or do it cheaply with an old push bike inner tube and a pair of Pliers.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:04 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one time ive needed compressed air when rebuilding a old split caliper, I just asked in the local garage and they popped the pistons out on a lunch break for free. Not sure its worth the investment, any decent place with a compressor should do it in 2 secs for you.

Echoing other sentiments, get a rebuild kit to hand, then pump them out equally, might have to keep working one in and out to get them both poking out. A thin bit of wood or anything in the middle to stop one shooting out, get them as proud as you can, then its a cake walk to pull them when its split. Also remember to crack all the bolts while its still mounted on the bike, makes it easier than doing any of it in a vice.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably be easier to figure out when I've got the bike, but looks to be that the rear can be split, but the front cannot.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/38EAAOSwMgdX0EDJ/s-l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/13cAAOSwi0RX0EDu/s-l1600.jpg

Worked on brakes before, but when I posted this I wasn't aware the rear could be split. As for the front I'll probably have to go with working on one side, bleed and re-do. Slow, and pain, but a far cry better than the million and one wires and bleed nipples on the CBF1000 with abs (long live simpler bikes Laughing ).

Thanks all for the input, and any further comments made. Thumbs Up

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:22 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to buy a compressor mate, just buy one ... ,and why not they are very useful for a hundred jobs. You don't have to convince us. Spending a hundred quid ( or whatever) is a lot of money though to remove 2 brake cylinder pistons when they can be just pumped out for nothing.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Probably be easier to figure out when I've got the bike, but looks to be that the rear can be split, but the front cannot.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/38EAAOSwMgdX0EDJ/s-l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/13cAAOSwi0RX0EDu/s-l1600.jpg

Worked on brakes before, but when I posted this I wasn't aware the rear could be split. As for the front I'll probably have to go with working on one side, bleed and re-do. Slow, and pain, but a far cry better than the million and one wires and bleed nipples on the CBF1000 with abs (long live simpler bikes Laughing ).

Thanks all for the input, and any further comments made. Thumbs Up

Can definitely agree on the advantages of simpler brakes.

I remember pumping the pistons out on the front right side caliper on my CBF1000 to give them a clean, the middle piston wasn't moving.

After a bit of panic I remembered about the linked brakes, so after a bit of reading I discovered that the middle piston on that caliper only moves when you press the rear brake lever.

ಠ_ಠ

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:23 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front cant be split, but you can unscrew the 2 blue anodized caps with the tool, although obviously only helping with one side.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
..I discovered that the middle piston on that caliper only moves when you press the rear brake lever.

Aye. F/L is most simple of the three (gets dirty much in the same way cars rot more on L/H side than R/H side), R/H needs five small bolts removing before caliper mounting bolts (wheel sensor, cable clip x2 etc) and the rear.. oh lawd. Manual "Remove rear wheel." I learnt how to do it with everything in place, but is a major fiddle.

Rear pedal feels "heavy" when I first rode it, and is something to do with the way the linked brakes are designed. I popped the middle rear piston out the once because its smaller and I didn't realise, ensue "particular" bleed process (including a nipple on the front).

I spent over £200 on braided brake lines, but never took them out the packet after buying. Money I'd never see back, so will flog them on at a loss.

Glad I've never had to pay a garage to do it. Easily a bike that could test your expenses limit. Very "remove a hundred pieces before the part you want to get to" kind of bike.

I'll take the sacrifice of a simple two bolt bracket mounted caliper any day. Laughing

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Front cant be split, but you can unscrew the 2 blue anodized caps with the tool, although obviously only helping with one side.

Various threads, and manual, says not to do this.

Would make life easier, but renders calipers useless and can damage them.. on what I read with my current knowledge.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
kramdra wrote:

That caliper is almost exactly the same as can be found on my FZR1000R and my FJ1200-3XW.The caliper half seal is not available from Yamaha but is from the likes of Wemoto and Powerhouse,as Kramdra has suggested.

As for removing the pistons from the monoblock front calipers,they are near enough the same as on my R1.It is easy enough to hold the pistons in one side while the other side is worked on.But the slide hammer removal type tool is useless on these 'Blue-Spots'.
I use an old master cylinder clamped to an old handlebar in a vice to work on calipers.
As for removing the 'Blue-Spots',the seals for those plugs are not readily available so it is not advisable to take them out.There is a tool on eblag but I have never needed to do this procedure and I have worked on many one piece calipers over the years.Have some red seal grease to hand on the rebuild (although this will bring on plenty of comments from some who try to suggest that it is not the right stuff to use,despite numerous magazine articles that say to use it).

Always have a 'Plan B'

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
As for removing the 'Blue-Spots',the seals for those plugs are not readily available so it is not advisable to take them out.There is a tool on eblag but I have never needed to do this procedure and I have worked on many one piece calipers over the years.

Aye, now I realise that the rear can be spit it makes me panic less about ownership (the joys of under-slung calipers); and based on fronts I've worked on in the past it would take some serious neglect to make removing those blue spot cap things (forgot name, its late) as the fronts generally suffer way less than the rear does.

There appears to be two listings for those seals via here, if of any use to anyone (never ordered, or heard of, before now).

£20 for the rear rebuild kit made me giggle. This bikes very cheap compared to the Honda. Laughing

Having to work on one side and bleed to do the other isn't the end of the world. Just panicked when I saw a four pot non-splitable caliper and was like "piston pliers when I loose pressure, oh this should be fun."

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Have some red seal grease to hand on the rebuild (although this will bring on plenty of comments from some who try to suggest that it is not the right stuff to use,despite numerous magazine articles that say to use it).

I usually go with brake fluid, but don't see why anyone would object to red rubber. Perfectly safe, as we all know, on rubber. Personal preference I'd say.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2