Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Glasses

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Glasses Reply with quote

So my glasses are coming up to 2 years old and are due for replacement; the current ones are on the brink of falling apart as with fairly significant "drop" to the back of the arms they require a fair bit of wiggling/pushing to get on with my helmet on. Before anyone suggests contact lenses, I have these but don't get on with them on the bike (eyes dry out too easily). Does anyone have any recommendations on glasses types? Years ago straight-arms that were "head hugging" were popular and I'd imagine these would be massively easier to put on, but they don't seem to be very popular now.

Cheers.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something with metal arms. They will bend, but are easy to adjust.

You could also adjust your helmet in that area to allow less pressure on the arms.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously not what you are asking but my HJC helmet has a glasses grove in the padding and it's bloody brilliant. Easy to get them on and off and no pressure on your temples.

Just a thought if you wear glasses all the time.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:39 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pince nez glasses Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to wear Oakleys because of the straight arms but they're damn expensive. Eventually the frames cracked so were not able to have new lenses put in.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you try prescription safety glasses?

This kind of thing: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/safety-glasses/6667703?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Personal_Protective_Equipment_%26_Workwear_Whoop-_-Safety+Glasses_Whoop-_-6667703&matchtype=&pla-476184025414&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuPDakbLt6gIVy7HtCh1BUgWGEAQYAyABEgI-IvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can get them made to prescription. There's the added advantage of them not shattering into your eyes in a bad crash!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I like the idea of grooves in the padding . . . I wonder if I could take a knife to mine and carve it out or if I'm compromising something in doing so. Metal arms are a good shout too, tend to be slimmer based on the ones I used to have (although they tend to have plastic ends to the arms anyway though).

Cheers Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:03 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I wonder if I could take a knife to mine and carve it out or if I'm compromising something in doing so.

Look at it this way. A compromised helmet will increase your chances of injury in the case of an accident... but you're already having an accident. Compromised eyesight will increase your chances of having an accident in the first place.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Oakleys in the past, with 'straight' arms, and it worked OK but it depends a lot on the specifics of the frame and helmet. My frames had arms that, although not hooked at the end, did bow away from the face which meant they were a little awkward to insert betwixt face and lid and were unbendable. I also lost more than one silicone 'sock' off the end of such frames.

My current frame is polymer with a hooked arm that is flat in profile - this means it is quite flexible, slides into place nicely and, once there, doesn't move. There's not a lot of room in my Caberg Drift Evo Carbon lid as I have helmet speakers in there too, but it all lines up and works OK for me.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a prescription visor.

Prescription-Pal™

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:38 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Thanks all. I like the idea of grooves in the padding . . . I wonder if I could take a knife to mine and carve it out or if I'm compromising something in doing so. Metal arms are a good shout too, tend to be slimmer based on the ones I used to have (although they tend to have plastic ends to the arms anyway though).

Cheers Thumbs Up

I used to wreck frames for a pastime, not a problem now as I wear contacts. I found the frame best suited to abuse was a frame with a double bridge, full contact plastic nose pad (rather than the two small pads that break off) and sprung hinges, drawback is lame styling unless mullets are your thing!

Like this: https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/griffiths?sku=21051043

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:11 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nolan helmet has removable side foam to allow for glasses
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1