BCF: Bike Chat Forums

True story.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: True story. Reply with quote

The guy I just bought some leathers from, he left biking because his bike was stolen (from his locked garage), value approx £8000, and he didn't claim because when he test-quoted first (to see how it would affect his premium) it went from £800pa to £4000pa. It also put his car insurance up to £8000 (I don't know what it was before but he was around 24 at the time and had an expensive fast car).

This amounts to criminal fraud by the ins industry and why it should be taken into public ownership. There also needs to be a court case to bring these criminal ins filth to heel.

Kyle.
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:49 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he was planning on keeping the bike in the same place his previous bike was stolen from I don’t blame the insurance company for covering their own arse with a high premium as the owner has proven theyre not capable of securing their property. I like that the insurance company would try recoup the money from the person who had his bike stolen rather than spread the cost to everyone else.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:01 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hope / think that less extortionate prices would be available from other insurers but fuck knows how these things work.
KRM wrote:
I like that the insurance company would try recoup the money to profit from the person who had his bike stolen rather than as well as spread the cost to everyone else.

Stay classy. Thumbs Up

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
he test-quoted

On-line quotes, presumably. I don't think they cope well with extraordinary circumstances, he should have spoken to a person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:28 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing quotes online vs human interaction would have cost me loads. When I had to state my big claim, that was showing 9k+ online, they don't account for crazy stuff easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:33 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In New Zealand the state run a 'no fault' third party insurance scheme, it's paid for by putting a few cents on the price of a litre of petrol. To cover the cost of damage to your own car, or if it's stolen, you can take out extra insurance.

The expense in insurance is personal liability not repairing the car. Car repairs come in thousands. If you end up paraplegic the claim will come to hundreds of thousands, if not over a million. Everyone pays, as it's on fuel, there are no lengthy court cases to determine liability and negligence, you just get paid out.

In Britain of course, with our governments libertarian outlook we are 'rolling back the burden of the state' another way of saying 'fucking privatise everything'.

Which is why it cost the NZ dollar equivalent of £35 to put my partners 15 Y/O grandaughter on the insurance for the 3 litre Mazda and it cost my sister in Leeds £1700 notes to put my nephew on as a named driver in her Corsa!

Britains roads are amongst the safest in the world , You are more than twice as likely to die in a car crash in NZ, measured by persons/ vehicles or KM's travelled, which is wierd because you can drive for hours and see no one sometimes.

Over here we are no longer citizens , but ' customers', to be milked for every penny.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:10 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The punchline I didn't mention...he had his instagram-channel sticker on the bike, via which he received an email, with photo, of his bike in Lagos (Nigeria) from a total stranger who saw it and noticed it was probably stolen (ignition barrel missing). Silky says there are literally hundreds of containers of stolen vehicles going through UK docks every year, which has to mean there are plenty of scum in the UK customs system taking back-handers from these thieving filth.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
which has to mean there are plenty of scum in the UK customs system taking back-handers from these thieving filth.

I'd wager criminally negligent/woefully understaffed. A week or so back I was driving a van with two motorbikes in the back coming from Ireland. At no point was the van opened by any customs officials. I was stopped 3 times in total, but each time they simply asked what was in the back and took my word for it. As it happens, those bikes were legit, but they didn't know that. They could've easily been stolen property.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
which has to mean there are plenty of scum in the UK customs system taking back-handers from these thieving filth.

I'd wager criminally negligent/woefully understaffed. A week or so back I was driving a van with two motorbikes in the back coming from Ireland. At no point was the van opened by any customs officials. I was stopped 3 times in total, but each time they simply asked what was in the back and took my word for it. As it happens, those bikes were legit, but they didn't know that. They could've easily been stolen property.

Which begs the question.

Do you ride them like you stole them?

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Which begs the question.

Do you ride them like you stole them?

Both non-runners Sad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

It will be interesting what will happen if we end up with no deal with the EU. Maybe one of the plusses will be better border security and control.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It will be interesting what will happen if we end up with no deal with the EU. Maybe one of the plusses will be better border security and control.

Queues... Huge ones. And lots of 'em.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:02 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Existing resources spread more thinly. Don't get your hopes up.

Do people really think that HM revenue and customs check everything that enters or leaves the UK? I think we'd need a literal army of customs officers. They act on tips, and work in a targetted way. If they got a tip off that a container was full of stolen bikes you can believe they'd come down on them. The criminals rely on this of course, and you do hear of the odd shipment being caught but they can be fairly sure that the 3 customs officers at each port probably won't be looking at the Ghanian/Romanian/Laotian registered container being shipped out of the UK.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if the worthless cunts weren't wasting so many resources trying to intercept drugs they'd have more to devote on stuff that actually matters to tax-paying victims of real crime.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Maybe if the worthless cunts weren't wasting so many resources trying to intercept drugs they'd have more to devote on stuff that actually matters to tax-paying victims of real crime.

I've never had a non-heroin addict try to break into my house so I'm happy with them trying to intercept drugs.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I've never had a non-heroin addict try to break into my house so I'm happy with them trying to intercept drugs.

Perversely, scarcity drives up the price. Thus, the smack-rat needs to steal more for each fix. If HMRC let more drugs through, the street price goes down, smackheads would need to steal less and fewer people would then be burgled. And by not looking for drugs, more containers of stolen vehicles could be detected, which would mean more people reunited with their bikes, fewer insurance payouts, lower premiums etc etc

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

How about a drunk, ever had grief with one of them? Oh, the banality, lack of logic and general imbecility of the anti-drug argument. Yaaawn.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
How about a drunk, ever had grief with one of them?

Pretty much every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. Alcohol may be legal but people are still retards.

Hetzer wrote:
Oh, the banality, lack of logic and general imbecility of the anti-drug argument. Yaaawn.

Oh the predictable argument of the drug user and person who doesn't have a large population of local smackheads.

Of course the irony here does escape you so I will explain it. You are complaining that Insurance needs greater regulation while wanting less regulation in drugs because it suits you. Pretty much a childish and selfish view. Well done Thumbs Up

Poseidon wrote:
Perversely, scarcity drives up the price. Thus, the smack-rat needs to steal more for each fix. If HMRC let more drugs through, the street price goes down, smackheads would need to steal less and fewer people would then be burgled. And by not looking for drugs, more containers of stolen vehicles could be detected, which would mean more people reunited with their bikes, fewer insurance payouts, lower premiums etc etc

Except for the smackheads still stealing.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Except for the smackheads still stealing.

Indeed. But the whole "prohibition doesn't work" argument has been done to death, so I shall bow out here for fear of derailing the thread.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Indeed. But the whole "prohibition doesn't work" argument has been done to death, so I shall bow out here for fear of derailing the thread.

No don't, it is relevant after all.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:27 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crack down hard on heroin being brought into the country and the black market for prescription opioids would grow.

Crack down on that and the market for synthetic opioids would grow.

Crack down on that and the market for the precursors to synthetic opioids would grow.

And so on and so on.

It's nigh on impossible to legislate substances out of existence.

What people on all sides of pro drugs and anti drugs arguments seem to be in favour of is harm reduction, that could be reducing harm to the (ab)users of drugs, reducing financial harm to themselves or others from drug users who steal to fund an addiction, stopping the harm done the general decline of society, old people being scared of walking on the streets cos they might get robbed, kiddywinks trying hard drugs, etc etc etc. Harm caused by illegal substances comes in many shapes and forms.

All of those different types of harm are made worse by the fact the drugs market is run by criminals. After all, the only people who benefit from prohibition are criminals and corrupt law enforcement.

I'm not advocating all substances being freely and openly available so that you could walk down the road to your local shop to pick up a four pack of beers, some cigarettes and a bit of heroin for you and your buddies to take at the weekend.

What I would be in support of is for substances to be legalised and regulated, then junkies wouldn't be out on the rob to fund their next fix and criminals wouldn't have any incentive to get new users hooked on their product.

Change wouldn't happen overnight and it would naive to think that all the drugs dealers put out of business would suddenly stop being criminals however slowly but surely there would be change and things would improve for everyone. That is everyone apart from those criminals and corrupt cops who were making a fortune from exploiting addicts.

Put bluntly, people don't care about drug (ab)users, what they care about is the harm or perceived harm caused by those users. That's what people are interested in so that's what should be focused on. Prohibition has failed. Taking the drugs market away from criminals would be the first step in winning the war against harm caused by drugs.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you advocate something like the Dutch market where soft drugs are obtainable in small quantities for anyone? That I could see as doable.

The problem with hard drugs I presume is that step from prescribing amounts to help people get off it to making it freely (obviously not free money wise) available to whoever wants it.

I just can't see heroin 'off the shelf' being agreed by any political party, however good the theory.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:16 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that any argument of saying "this worked in country x" is too simplistic. Brits are bad at doing anything in moderation.

Also, with any drugs debate, there are lots of reasons why something won't work, but rarely agreement on something that will work. Also strongly held viewpoints at both extremes, particularly for cannabis, which means it gets ugly pretty fast.

I do find the idea of Brexit helping with this sort of thing being quite amusing. Loads more goods that used to be single market and now need paperwork and random checks, a recession, and you expect the existing failures to improve? I expect to see new failures I haven't even imagined yet.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont get the argument for stopping insurers from raising prices in these situations. How do people think they will make any money if they have to give cheap insurance to people who keep having their stuff nicked? It's shit for anyone in that situation, but that's just how it is.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globalisation is a huge factor with 20000+ TEU container ships unloading in 24 hours can mean 10000 40ft containers to check. It aint ever going to happen.

The whole idea being containers are sealed at point and not unsealed until end point. Could be anything inside. Drugs, fags, arms, people.

Felixstowe container port alone handles up to 3000 ships a year. Long gone are the days when the black gang used to come on board to check the ships manifest matched the cargo.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2