Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Newbie biker looking for a 125cc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

CookieBiker01
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:54 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Newbie biker looking for a 125cc Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have my CBT coming up and I've been looking at some second hand bikes on autotrader.
There is a lot on there to choose from around my price point. There are reasonably new Chinese bikes (Lexmotos etc) and older hondas/yahamas that are a similar price.
I've heard that hondas/yams hold there value better than others.
Whats the best reliability / performance wise?
Do i go for the newer and less millage Chinese built bikes or a slightly older honda/yam with more miles on it.
Thanks
Callum

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you want to spend, bearing in mind insurance, clothing and anti-thievery add-ons?

How good are you at mechanicking (scale 0=never done any, 10=have lots of tools and can rebuild engines)?

CookieBiker01
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:22 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to spend 800 - 1300 on the bike.
I don't want to do any work to it other than basic maintenance.
Thanks
Callum

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CookieBiker01 wrote:
(Previously): There is a lot on there to choose from around my price point. There are reasonably new Chinese bikes (Lexmotos etc) and older hondas/yahamas that are a similar price.
I've heard that hondas/yams hold there value better than others.
Whats the best reliability / performance wise?
Do i go for the newer and less millage Chinese built bikes or a slightly older honda/yam with more miles on it.

(Plus): Looking to spend 800 - 1300 on the bike.
I don't want to do any work to it other than basic maintenance.

Callum

It's really difficult to say. What do you want to do with it? Commute XX miles, go as fast as you can, have a "supersports" style, a trials thing, scooter?, maintenance budget or not, etc.

Have you seem anything you like?

Does this or that or the other appeal:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-YAMAHA-YBR-125-Black-26K-miles-3-owner-service-history-and-7-months-MOT/143654042518?hash=item217272bb96:g:6ycAAOSwFMNfHse5
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Derbi-Terra-125cc/164299038533?hash=item2640fc5f45%3Ag%3AgrEAAOSwOOFfFe5M&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C10
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CG125-ES4-2005/274439116083?hash=item3fe5d89533:g:mVkAAOSwCY5fHSfn

I might, sort of, go in those directions, but OTOH there are bargains to be had in the "Chinese" sector that will run forever, and non-bargains in the Japanese area that have run forever. In terms of "hold value", then anything "exciting" or Japanese will do well, but that's only as long as it's maintained (the most crucial thing IMO being *OIL changes and checks*).

I think "what do you like" and "what do you want to do with it" are good questions. Hm?

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:54 - 27 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Derbi Terra has as almost the maximum bhp allowed for a 125 (15 bhp)and is quite a large bike. The ybr and cg have around 10-11 bhp.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stick with Japanese just so you know you are getting something good quality and the resale value wont be half what you paid for it in a few years time. Autotrader always seems to have expensive bikes so take a look at ebay, facebook and gumtree.

I wouldn't get all worried about finding a bike with the highest BHP allowed either, they all do roughly the same speed anyway. Looking at the specs of that Terra the top speed is 70, which is about what I'd get my YBR up to when I had it on my commute, right alongside my brothers CBR125 which apparently also has more HP than the ybr..
Giorgia Rush This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 28 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I would be recommending anything Japanese (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha are all good shouts, by and large are pretty much as reliable as each other) but given your budget, and given the fact that, in general, 125s tend to be abused, not maintained properly, never serviced, running on sludge oil (because most 125s have spent most of their lifetime under the ownership of 17 year olds who don't care about or know how to look after their bikes)... I might be pointing towards a brand new Chinese bike in your case.

You could probably get a brand new Keeway, Lexmoto or Sym for £1,300 so I might be inclined to consider that as an option, if you're going to keep it for some time and nurture it.

On the other hand if you're looking to swap it out after a year or so then maybe go with a Jap bike but get as new and low mileage as possible for your budget (probably stating the obvious a bit there) as Ayrton rightly said a Chinese bike will plummet in value from the price you pay for it new whereas you can often sell a 10year old Jap bike for more than you paid for it after running around on it for a year or two.

Chinese bikes have come a long way in terms of reliability in recent years and because they're getting more popular I don't think getting parts should be an issue. I think I remember reading something someone else said on here nearly all Chinese 125s (regardless which manufacturer) use one of two engines (so there's literally millions of the buggers around).

That said, they're still not in the same league as the Jap stuff. I think we'll see Satan ice-skating to work or airborne bacon before we see Chinese stuff being anywhere near as reliable as Jap stuff.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
A young woman who lived in our village passed her CBT on Thursday.
I believe she picked up her bike on Friday morning, but by 3.30 on the same afternoon she was dead. As far as I can ascertain she collided with an oncoming car on a bend on an A road with rather strange camber, where fatal accidents have happened previously. I don't know what was the ultimate cause of the accident, it could have been the tyres on the new bike , the camber , speed , inexperience or a combination of causes. The rider was 41, so not a wild youngster.

Just take it easy guys.

https://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/18871311.woman-41-dead-newport-collision-police-confirm/?ref=ar

On that note the best advice I can give is forget about the bike, save the money and buy a giant ball of cotton wool to cocoon yourself inside or one of those giant inflatable spheres.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

One as a compromise between the two:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/BMW_C1_FF_200_%28frontale%29.jpg

dirtbike0810
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wat the f is that

On topic, I'd say go for a used Japanese bike. Hopefully you already have one by now.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtbike0810 wrote:
wat the f is that

HAVE YOU BEEN LIVING UNDER A FUCKING ROCK FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS???!!!

Only the best bike of the century, that's all.

BMW C1

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Only the best bike of the century, that's all.
BMW C1

And allegedly it's coming back, in electric form:
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/electric-bmw-c1/

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done BMW for making a shitty concept even shittier.

dirtbike0810
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is Laughing

i didnt think anything was worse than kawasaki's hideous fairing indicators but wow that beemer takes it for sure

having to use a windshield wiper blade... on a 'bike' Shocked

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 30 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtbike0810 wrote:
having to use a windshield wiper blade... on a 'bike' Shocked

That's an amazing idea.

I wonder if that could be adapted to a visor somehow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 30 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I wonder if that could be adapted to a visor somehow.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/29726346/so-crazy-it-just-might-work.jpg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1