BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2014 FZ1 Service Help Please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 16:11 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: 2014 FZ1 Service Help Please Reply with quote

Hi guys hopefully a quick one to answer here, I'm just in the process of ordering the parts in for a service but cannot find anywhere on the list a fuel filter for my bike. Is it possible it doesn't have one? If so, would it benefit from adding an aftermarket inline one?

Any input greatly appreciated.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's part of the fuel pump assembly and is inside the tank itself, it's very similar to a car one if you've ever seen one of those?

Personally I'd not bother unless you have some reason to think it needs doing, if it ain't broke...

Edit: here: https://www.998cc.org/threads/gen-2-how-to-clean-fuel-filter.22359/

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 16:28 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the advice! Just a bit concerned because it's on 40,000 miles now and I'm taking it to France next month. But you think leave it alone?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with c_dug. Fuel pump is hardly a two pence part. No way I'd be digging around one, or trying to learn how to take it apart, unless I had error codes flashing or suspected issues relating to the fuel pump that the manual diagnostic section had pointed me towards.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/763431/Yamaha-Fz1-N.html?page=83#manual

40k miles means nothing, how its been looked after does.

Hard to say what to bother with without the bike to hand. You could pack your entire house on the bike and still need something else. Recovery service, charger, phone, credit etc are best tool you can have to keep you going while out there (covid depending).

Oil, plugs, air filter and then a general lubrication of cables/pivot points and chain would be first call. I don't do the whole "build it up to one massive spend out" kind of service since I'm always fiddling.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 17:06 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated. Yep got all those parts on order or done already. Ordered chain and sprockets too. Probably replacing premature but the Supersprox Stealth sprocket has been on my wish list for a while and matches the other gold accessories on my bike anyway so seemed a good time to take the plunge on it along with a gold ZVM-X chain and a renthal front sprocket (I understand they're better than JT?). Done a K&N air filter not long ago so really just gonna be the K&N oil filter and NGK iridium spark plugs for now and get the guy to give it a good looking over / health check.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Renthal sprockets on most of my bikes as well as DID gold X ring chains.I always buy my stuff from B&C Express as the possibility of fake DID chains that have flooded eblag of late.Buy cheap buy twice or something similar.A Supersprox rear is a good investment.I have one on the rear of my KTM enduro and it is lasting far better than the similar Renthal sprocket I had previously.

As for K&N oil filters,I have read about the type that has a nut welded to the front of the can causing problems.I have been using HiFlo spin on filters from Wemoto for my R1 for years now.

As for the fuel filter,I recollect a friend having problems with his brand new Kawasaki GPZ1100B1 back when they were first introduced.He took it back to Boyers of Bromley for its first service after 600 miles and it was stuttering on acceleration.Despite the assurances from the service manager that once the plugs and plug caps were changed that all was okay,said friend aimed for Paris with his girlfriend.He encountered countless times the stuttering and by the time he got back to south London he was pretty fed up.He left the bike with Boyers and told them in no uncertain terms "GET IT FIXED!!!" Using a new bike from the showroom as a donor bike they tried the injection bank,the ECU,the injection brain and various sensors.Now take on board that the bike was near enough brand new and no one suspected that the culprit,the fuel filter,would be the cause.But this one part should have been replaced at the first service and it was not.Now contemplate a fuel filter on a bike with 40,000+ miles on the clock.

Always have a 'Plan B'

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:51 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
As for K&N oil filters,I have read about the type that has a nut welded to the front of the can causing problems.

I only relatively recently discovered these exist and have taken to using them out if convenience, what are the issues?

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 09:02 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got me worried now as the chain itself and arguably the most important component was the only item I did buy from eBay. It was £117 from a seller called max-honda-spares

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223775958994

Any way I can tell if its genuine or not when it arrives???

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Agree with c_dug. Fuel pump is hardly a two pence part. No way I'd be digging around one, or trying to learn how to take it apart, unless I had error codes flashing or suspected issues relating to the fuel pump that the manual diagnostic section had pointed me towards.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/763431/Yamaha-Fz1-N.html?page=83#manual

40k miles means nothing, how its been looked after does.

then you`ll end up with a clogged filter and a fcuked fuel pump .. the one on my YZF was full of crud .. a hard plastic gauze item .. i washed it out and put it back..

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:
As for K&N oil filters,I have read about the type that has a nut welded to the front of the can causing problems.

I only relatively recently discovered these exist and have taken to using them out if convenience, what are the issues?

Yeah what's the issue with these? Annecdotal and all, but I've been using them whever possible for a long time and not had a single issue.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:29 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an issue with some K&N filters a few years ago where the welds for the nut on the end were porous or weakened the metal of the filter. This eventually let go, leading to oil shooting out of the filter under pressure.
Doubtless fixed now, but many people will never go near them again. Why would you, when there are plenty of manufacturers who make oil filters that don't have a reputation for sudden catastrophic failure.

On the fuel filter subject, I wonder if Fizzer Thou's mate had a filter failing rather than clogging. I have heard rumours of Guzzi in-tank filters failing because they fitted the wrong thing in the first place. It's a pressed-together metal/plastic filter that was intended for diesel, not petrol, certainly not ethanol. The two bits separate.
Whilst I would recommend changing a fuel filter that has done 40k, car ones seem to go on a lot longer than that without any maintenance and it's one of those jobs which is going to be a pain in the arse.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:

As has been stated above,there were issues with K&N oil filters.From what I recollect the weld attaching the hex to the body of the filter was not sufficient and when the hex came adrift it was not that easy to remove.Owners had to resort to the old screwdriver method.I have not used K&N oil filters so am only going by what I had read.

Companies like DID and NGK have had big problems with fakes and poor copies,to such an extent that even they have a job discerning the genuine and the dodgy ones.But it is in the warranty that people have fallen foul of the dodgy items,once the original company have put them under investigation for warranty claims.This is why I buy from people like B&C Express.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
On the fuel filter subject, I wonder if Fizzer Thou's mate had a filter failing rather than clogging. I have heard rumours of Guzzi in-tank filters failing because they fitted the wrong thing in the first place. It's a pressed-together metal/plastic filter that was intended for diesel, not petrol, certainly not ethanol. The two bits separate.
Whilst I would recommend changing a fuel filter that has done 40k, car ones seem to go on a lot longer than that without any maintenance and it's one of those jobs which is going to be a pain in the arse.

It was back in the early-'80s that Davey Gordon had this GPZ1100B1.It may well have been a dirty fuel tank that was not flushed correctly,or even dirty petrol from a fuel station tank that had not been cleaned for a while.But the service specification procedure had not been adhered to,so Boyers of Bromley came in for some criticism.

I changed the fuel filter on my car at 100,000 miles,not because I felt that I had to because of a service schedule,but because it seemed like a good idea for the pittance that it cost compared to the inconvenience of having to call out a breakdown company because of such a trivial part.

Always have a 'Plan B'

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 07:14 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I change the fuel filters on my cars every service, so around 10k to 15k depending on which vehicle it is. Thats why I was so concerned about the bike. Seems to be mixed opinions as to whether to do it or not.

Valve clearances... spoke to my motorbike mechanic and he said not to bother. He said these days generally with newer bikes they ever need adjusting it will be fairly early on into the bike's life and then probably never need doing again but in any case you would hear them clattering and it would be obvious when they need doing. Does that dound right?

Also, any ideas how I can check the chain fir authenticity when it arrives?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Valve clearances... spoke to my motorbike mechanic and he said not to bother. He said these days generally with newer bikes they ever need adjusting it will be fairly early on into the bike's life and then probably never need doing again but in any case you would hear them clattering and it would be obvious when they need doing. Does that dound right?

No, sounds like a mechanic who doesn't know how to do valves. Is it Kramda?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Valve clearances... spoke to my motorbike mechanic and he said not to bother. He said these days generally with newer bikes they ever need adjusting it will be fairly early on into the bike's life and then probably never need doing again but in any case you would hear them clattering and it would be obvious when they need doing. Does that dound right? Also, any ideas how I can check the chain fir authenticity when it arrives?

Often times, valve clearance will decrease over time. A tight valve clearance won't clatter, but you'll end up with a burnt valve and low compression. Listen to sickpup.

I have replaced the fuel filters on a VFR and R1150R, both in-tank filters. Working the pump/filter/fuel gauge sending unit through the hole in the tank is the hardest part of the job. Pump assemblies are sealed to the tank with a large o-ring. The Beemer o-ring swelled and would not fit back in its groove. After sitting overnight, it shrank back to size and assembly was easy. Replace your filter, it's not that difficult.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:

Valve clearances... spoke to my motorbike mechanic and he said not to bother. He said these days generally with newer bikes they ever need adjusting it will be fairly early on into the bike's life and then probably never need doing again but in any case you would hear them clattering and it would be obvious when they need doing. Does that sound right?

its the sort of lie a dealer tells himself when he takes your money but in actual fact does nothing .. the machines i've done ... three of them .. all wanted adjustment .. either swapping or replacement... and the vast majority were tight and exhaust valves..

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:33 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Tuberculosis wrote:

No, sounds like a mechanic who doesn't know how to do valves. Is it Kramda?

This. And the bit about shimmed valves tending to get tighter over time and not looser is right as well.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:52 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
No, sounds like a mechanic who doesn't know how to do valves.

Yeah you're probably right. He's an old boy and mainly does Royal Enfields and classics etc but he's local to me, his unit is on my road so it's not even a 5 minute walk to drop a bike off and walk home so very convenient.

I had a car mechanic like that once. Old boy. You know the kinda guy you wouldn't mind doing a set of brake pads or replacing a shock absorber or an alternator but probably wouldn't trust with an engine rebuild or engine swap?

Ok so valve clearances and fuel filter on the list to get done once I get the bike back from him. Probably go to Laguna in Maidstone as they're a Yamaha dealer. Anyone had any dealings with these to recommend or avoid?

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 11:56 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a couple of tyres as the rear was worn and the front had a temporary repair... just been contacted by the supplier (ebay) that they're new old stock, 2 years old.

Is this anything to be alarmed about or perfectly normal?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Yeah what's the issue with these? Annecdotal and all, but I've been using them whever possible for a long time and not had a single issue.

Could be idiots using the nut to winch the filter too tight on fitting....

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
sickpup wrote:
No, sounds like a mechanic who doesn't know how to do valves.

Yeah you're probably right. He's an old boy and mainly does Royal Enfields and classics etc but he's local to me, his unit is on my road so it's not even a 5 minute walk to drop a bike off and walk home so very convenient.

I had a car mechanic like that once. Old boy. You know the kinda guy you wouldn't mind doing a set of brake pads or replacing a shock absorber or an alternator but probably wouldn't trust with an engine rebuild or engine swap?

Ok so valve clearances and fuel filter on the list to get done once I get the bike back from him. Probably go to Laguna in Maidstone as they're a Yamaha dealer. Anyone had any dealings with these to recommend or avoid?

Checking them should be within his grasp.. If they are all OK then you're in the clear, if they are not that's when you might wish to take it elsewhere (eg dealer). He is broadly correct I think in that they close up most in the initial few thousand miles.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Checking them should be within his grasp.. If they are all OK then you're in the clear, if they are not that's when you might wish to take it elsewhere (eg dealer). He is broadly correct I think in that they close up most in the initial few thousand miles.

i have just spent 2 hours removing fuel tank .. coils .. radiator .. lots of plastics, electrical connections and i have not even lifted the cam cover yet .... if your used to enfields a modern jap bike is a nightmare ..
....... its more fcuk on than its worth to him..

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 17:34 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the tyres? This isn't a potential problem being new old stock allegedly a couple of years old is it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233387040067

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Any thoughts on the tyres? This isn't a potential problem being new old stock allegedly a couple of years old is it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233387040067

It should be fine as long as there's no visible cracks on the tyre.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but tyres are stored after manufacture with some form of coating to stop degradation, which is why you're meant to take it easy on new tyres while it scrubs off..?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2