Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Shed Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: The Shed Thread Reply with quote

Incorporating Garage Monthly, as requested by Riejufixing Wink

I put this up today:

https://i.imgur.com/sKX9gdV.jpg?1

Entering virgin shed:

https://i.imgur.com/OdfXfET.jpg?1

Before you ask this is probably the cheapest thing eBay has to offer. And yes, I still have to put the roof felt on and paint it! Then there's the carpet tiles, shelving, might line the walls, etc. all before actually using it to store jazz mags tools Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two sheds Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: The Shed Thread Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I put this up today:

https://i.imgur.com/sKX9gdV.jpg?1

Entering virgin shed:

https://i.imgur.com/OdfXfET.jpg?1

Before you ask this is probably the cheapest thing eBay has to offer. And yes, I still have to put the roof felt on and paint it! Then there's the carpet tiles, shelving, might line the walls, etc. all before actually using it to store jazz mags tools Very Happy

That's nice, how big is it, 7 x 4?? What's that criss-cross plastic stuff under it?

I might be tempted to go right down to the ground tacking on more weatherboarding to the ends of the bearers as a "trim".

EDIT: I have found the very apex of the roof can flex, causing the felt to crack along the ridge. Screwing on a pair or pair and a half of hinges which can be second-hand is a quick and easy way to get over that problem.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

6x8... I levelled the ground and embedded some concrete slabs I had going spare. The plastic stuff is something called "EcoDeck" that came with the kit. It's actually intended to just go straight over dirt, grass lawn, anything really but I felt an extra layer underneath couldn't hurt Smile Finally filled in with some cheap gravel it's actually quite a substantial foundation, short of laying actual concrete.

As you suggest, not quite sure how I'll finish the surrounding area... a little raised flower bed, maybe just some paving, lots of scope Very Happy

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get felt with the shed kit?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: The Shed Thread Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
EDIT: I have found the very apex of the roof can flex, causing the felt to crack along the ridge. Screwing on a pair or pair and a half of hinges which can be second-hand is a quick and easy way to get over that problem.

Wow! You're some sort of shed guru Smile Maybe I didn't get the literal cheapest shed 'cos I got a little piece of angled metal for just this task!

And yes, I have felt and nails. Can't speak to the quality as yet.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like sheds. Sheds are good.

I rescued one from near the High Street, well not the floor I left 'cos it would not come up in one bit, but the roof I took because it had some usable boards in it. The owner was chucking it. Some bizarre fantasist had overfelted the roof a couple of times over the years, and ended up using 2 1/2" clout nails which poked through A LOT, so it was dangerous to go in unless only the height of a mushroom, it looked like the inside of an "iron maiden".

That had to have a new floor and roof, stirling board like yours, with torch-on felt which is dangereuse.

That one's full of old bicycles and small garden machinery, and bottles for apple juice. Flower pots, too. I can't get into it Sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I have two sheds Mr. Green

This is the first shed I've actually built but I inherited a brick coal shed that came with the house. It had a little waist-high wall in the middle with a hole at the bottom for coal. Fuck knows what sand they used with the cement back in the Fifties but the bricks disintegrated before the mortar did, when I attacked with a sledge hammer.

tl;dr I also have two sheds Wink

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:29 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

the felt on one of our sheds (Wendy house as it has stupid windows) has gone to piss.

its got a tarp over it at the moment.

but i have been looking at the rubber covering to replace it

https://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/shop/epdm-shed-rubber-roof-kits

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a metal shed that's does the job sheds do but it's not as nice as a wooden one. Hot in summer, cold in winter.

Saying that, it's lasted years of non maintenance where a wood one would have disintegrated years ago.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly an /thread moment
https://i.postimg.cc/t4hv4cpp/ZV101696.jpg
It's not only for bike(s) though there's a bunch of work related stuff in there too.
It was an unusable tumbledown Victorian pigsty until 2015 when I re-arranged all the stones.
Inside is fully insulated floor walls roof to house standards really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Possibly an /thread moment
https://i.postimg.cc/t4hv4cpp/ZV101696.jpg
It's not only for bike(s) though there's a bunch of work related stuff in there too.
It was an unusable tumbledown Victorian pigsty until 2015 when I re-arranged all the stones.
Inside is fully insulated floor walls roof to house standards really.

Nice job! I particularly like the way you describe the building work as a rearrangement of stones... Doubtless to achieve Part L Laughing Laughing Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:43 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to post this but... Embarassed
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/wctm7038small.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

That's not a shed.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I didn't want to post this but... Embarassed
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/wctm7038small.jpg

That does not look like a shed. What does the outside look like?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
That's not a shed.

but......

Easy-X wrote:

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:24 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: The Shed Thread Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
That's not a shed.

but......

Easy-X wrote:

I was looking at the title of the thread.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50169671787_63f375dd90_b.jpg

The backroom is mostly shelving along with a laptop connected too a couple of old 1440p monitors. Previous owner built it, I added the engineered wood floor. It needs re-planning as I have a 2 seater sofa to go in there soon.

Main bit I do have plans to put a better door in, floor the front part (the concrete it has is awful) and paint the walls. However all that is pretty far down the list of shit to do as everything works as is.

I need a shed like yours in the Garden really so I can get the pedalbikes and garden tools out of my cave.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: The Shed Thread Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

I was looking at the title of the thread. So what does your garage look like from outside?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Mixed messages then from the OP.... he must be going senile in old age.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50169671787_63f375dd90_b.jpg

Ah. An integrated garage. I have a map like that on the wall here. Ot might even be the same map. It has "The World - Il Mondo - El Mundo (etc.)" written across the top of it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Mixed messages then from the OP.... he must be going senile in old age.

I bet it won't be long before he has 1/2 a bag of leftover lumpy lime to sit on, and starts doing "homebrew" in there too.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:57 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence but I'm not going to post an outside view of my garage. I've had people break into previous garages because they saw what was inside. I'm very careful not to post stuff like this, and I figured an interior shot was good enough. If it's not good enough, then... meh.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Ah. An integrated garage.

I think attached not integrated? That backroom was originally garage, there is a door there but it leads to garden. The floor levels of Garage and house are very different so I don't think there is any cheap win if wanting to integrate it.

Riejufixing wrote:
"The World - Il Mondo - El Mundo (etc.)" written across the top of it.

That's the one. I bought it for the wife as her Geography is so bad she struggles to even list parts of her own home nation. She left it rolled up for years and after a game flame darts, (darts + zippo fluid) I needed something to cover the marks.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3