Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any experience with A2 bikes being tested for compliance?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adam125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:49 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Any experience with A2 bikes being tested for compliance? Reply with quote

Hi guys, I was just wondering whether anyone has had experience with their restricted A2 bike being tested for compliance within the laws. I only ask this because I currently have a Ducati Monster 796 that is restricted and I am becoming more and more tempted to take the restriction off of the bike before doing my full A license, naughty I know Rolling Eyes I can’t yet take my A license and I have had the bike for 4 months now but can’t get away from wanting more.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:21 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police have and will dyno peoples bikes, but it's rare. If you want to take the risk? It's up to you but the penalties are potentially quite bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:31 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an accident or get pulled for speeding you can bet they'll check.

Then bleed through the eyes when you get your insurance renewal through the post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:56 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin joe wrote:

What are you basing that statement on?

How many times have you heard of bikes being checked after crashing or being pulled for speeding?

It's not impossible as such but it's pretty damn unusual.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin joe wrote:

Good luck sticking a bike on a Dyno after it's been smashed to pieces in a crash.

Even better luck then proving it wasn't restricted pre-crash.

I also doubt that on tugging an A2 licence holder for speeding that they seize the bike and stick it on a dyno, not impossible but the cost would mean they'd need to be fairly sure first.

Adam125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:24 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

How many times have you heard of bikes being checked after crashing or being pulled for speeding?

See that’s what I’m thinking, I’m struggling to find any cases of bikes actually being tested.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

An A2 bike can easily break any speed limit anyway. Can you not just hold off a little longer till you have a full licence?!

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:58 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the chances of being caught riding a derestricted bike may be small, but the penalties aren't. Think about what you may lose if you get caught. If you are caught you are looking at 3-6 points on your licence, a fine of up to £1000 and the police will seize your bike. This will cost you at least £150 plus daily fees until you get someone to collect it or the bike is crushed. If you are lucky you will only get 3 points and a modest fine, in which case your insurance company will immediately cancel your insurance policy and put your details on their high-risk database (yes, there is such a thing) this means that when you come to renew your insurance you will have to declare the points and that you have had a policy cancelled. Any insurer that will be prepared to offer a quote after that will probably charge more than the bike is worth. Don't even think about not telling them about the points or policy cancellation as that becomes fraud and they will truly fuck you for that, without lube! If you are unlucky and get six points and you have had your licence for less that 2 years, you will lose your licence and have to retake your test, that is car and bike test if both less than 2 years, after this it will probably be at least 5 years before you can get an insurer that will give you a quote for car or bike that isn't bigger than the national debt of your average Banana Republic.
My Nephew is facing this right now. He was unlucky enough to get caught riding a bike without licence or insurance (or tax or MOT or the bike actually being road legal) on the one day in months that the police had a speed trap in the village he rode through.
So is the potential penalty worth risking all of that to derestrict your bike when you can wait a little longer until you have grown up enough to take your full licence?

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 20:45 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
Ok, the chances of being caught riding a derestricted bike may be small, but the penalties aren't. Think about what you may lose if you get caught. If you are caught you are looking at 3-6 points on your licence, a fine of up to £1000 and the police will seize your bike. This will cost you at least £150 plus daily fees until you get someone to collect it or the bike is crushed. If you are lucky you will only get 3 points and a modest fine, in which case your insurance company will immediately cancel your insurance policy and put your details on their high-risk database (yes, there is such a thing) this means that when you come to renew your insurance you will have to declare the points and that you have had a policy cancelled. Any insurer that will be prepared to offer a quote after that will probably charge more than the bike is worth. Don't even think about not telling them about the points or policy cancellation as that becomes fraud and they will truly fuck you for that, without lube! If you are unlucky and get six points and you have had your licence for less that 2 years, you will lose your licence and have to retake your test, that is car and bike test if both less than 2 years, after this it will probably be at least 5 years before you can get an insurer that will give you a quote for car or bike that isn't bigger than the national debt of your average Banana Republic.
My Nephew is facing this right now. He was unlucky enough to get caught riding a bike without licence or insurance (or tax or MOT or the bike actually being road legal) on the one day in months that the police had a speed trap in the village he rode through.
So is the potential penalty worth risking all of that to derestrict your bike when you can wait a little longer until you have grown up enough to take your full licence?

I thought a post like this would probably turn up. Bit dramatic.

I would suggest that the chances of your bike being tested is vanishingly small.

If it were me I'd leave the restrictors in and count down the days to removing them, rather than just having everything all at once because you were impatient.

If you remove them you are almost certain to get away with it. To be honest the punishment isn't exactly the end of the world. 6 points and £1000 isn't going to change your life forever.

However, I'd keep them in. You'll get a warm fuzzy feeling from being legal and won't ever have to worry about being pulled over.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:07 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the one infamous thread on SVrider of a lad on a sv650 getting pulled I think for speeding, some super anal copper seizes the bike and its dyno'd and he gets rogered.

In reality, if you keep your head down, its very unlikely of any consequences, but not risk free.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former customer back when 33 BHP restriction was king got stopped
Police impounded bike put on Dyno full power
Riding not in accordance with licence + original stop Careless I think
15 points 3 year ban retake both bike and car tests both extended versions
He did the bike one with a local school and they said he was having trouble getting insurance had given up for a car !
OK I think he had lots previous !

Very unlightly to get caught but do so and it is bad

PS post crash insurance assessors have been know to check restriction is fitted

I used to know a Police accident investigator he certainly checked restrictions were or were not fitted

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:59 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chances of just getting caught are small.

However, the issue is accidents: Should you be unlucky enough to have one there's a very good chance that the police and/or insurance assessor will check to see if the restriction is still in place.

And when they find it's not you will get royally rogered.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:24 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
Former customer back when 33 BHP restriction was king got stopped

Back in the days of 33bhp, I was stopped by a bike cop when I was 17 and on a ZX6R, he thought it was the biggest bike I could ride until I was 21.

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir. Shifty

Scotsrick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back in the day when you could ride a 250 with L plates someone I know Whistle might have bought an RD 400 which looked nearly identical to the 250 that his mate had and swapped side panels.

Said person might even have sat his test on the same bike.

But said person was young and stupid.

It’s gonna be more obvious nowadays if you’re caught giving a Ducati monster the beans. And let’s face it, you’re going to be tempted to do exactly that.

If it was a smaller bike I’d be tempted myself to go for it but not what you’ve got.

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:47 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsrick wrote:
Way back in the day when you could ride a 250 with L plates someone I know Whistle might have bought an RD 400 which looked nearly identical to the 250 that his mate had and swapped side panels.

Said person might even have sat his test on the same bike.

But said person was young and stupid.

It’s gonna be more obvious nowadays if you’re caught giving a Ducati monster the beans. And let’s face it, you’re going to be tempted to do exactly that.

If it was a smaller bike I’d be tempted myself to go for it but not what you’ve got.

Similar with the LC. The only visible difference was the 350 had a twin disc and the 250 just a single. A swop of side panels and only those in the know would tell the difference.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

From A1 to A/A2... yes, I could see that as a serious temptation. From A2 to A? Must be getting old Sad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:58 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
smokin joe wrote:

Well...?

Yeah, didn't think so. Laughing

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:07 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 5 years ago I knocked down a pedestrian who ran into the road in front of me. My bike was seized and subject to a full examination.

Everything was legal and above board so I had absolutely nothing to worry about. But if you're doing something naughty that's exactly the kind of situation where it's going to bite you on the arse.

All of these people telling you that it'll never happen are chatting shit. It does happen. It happened to me.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:14 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had an A2 license then?

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know how many are actually put on a dyno per year, I'd hazard a guess at single figures from my limited online research. What would happen if the bike suddendly was inoperable before they could dyno it? For example, some wiring accidently got wripped out or the key snapped?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:19 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the number is approximately zero.

Yeah it could happen to you but it's so unlikely.

There's a significant difference between checked by PC Plod and being checked by your insurance company.

If some wiring accidently got ripped out or the key snapped, it's still very easy to check if the bike has restrictors fitted.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
If some wiring accidently got ripped out or the key snapped, it's still very easy to check if the bike has restrictors fitted.

There's many different methods of restriction though, could be a throttle stop, carb inlet reducers, ECU etc?

I'd have thought they would have to dyno it to prove it wasn't? If the key's snapped, are they going to go to the effort of repairing/ hotwiring it to prove it?

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:44 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a crash where someone is killed or seriously injured the police WILL check everything! .. You could possibly end up in prison!

You are effectively driving without a licence and your insurance would be invalid!

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/causing-death-by-driving-unlicensed-disqualified-or-uninsured-drivers/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:44 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
There's many different methods of restriction though, could be a throttle stop, carb inlet reducers, ECU etc?

Unless the bike is burnt to an absolute crisp, it wouldn't be complicated to check for all of those.

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
I'd have thought they would have to dyno it to prove it wasn't? If the key's snapped, are they going to go to the effort of repairing/ hotwiring it to prove it?

If they get an appropriate expert witness to examine the bike who concludes that the bike was not and is not restricted then I wouldn't fancy the chances of successfully arguing in court that their expert is wrong.

Let's be honest, the rider is going to know if the bike was or wasn't restricted and if it was restricted then hopefully you could come up with a better argument than one based around the fact that a wrecked bike cannot be dynoed.

KiwiBob wrote:
If you have a crash where someone is killed or seriously injured the police WILL check everything! .. You could possibly end up in prison!

Any examples that happening?

KiwiBob wrote:
You are effectively driving without a licence and your insurance would be invalid!

It's lucky that insurance can't be retrospectively invalidated. Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
KiwiBob wrote:

It's lucky that insurance can't be retrospectively invalidated. Wink

I'm sure this has been asked before: if Company A offers you insurance on your A2-compliant bike and you derestrict it, is it the same bike?

In other words, most policies say you have Third-Party only cover on bikes not specifically named on the policy. Is that how you always have at least Third-party cover?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2