Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buy a new bike... as an investment?!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Buy a new bike... as an investment?! Reply with quote

I was comparing some reviews of bikes and I learnt some interesting things like a big factor with buying from new is the TCO. An Interceptor "needs" servicing every 3000 miles so factor that in with the cheap initial cost...

Anyhoo, some Ozzie fella was raving about a bike and, typical clickbait style, "5 problems with this bike" turned into 5 things the bike did really well, e.g. "you'll hate this bike, it's so perfect you'll have nothing to upgrade to..." ffs Rolling Eyes

The one that really got me was "...and if you do upgrade to something else you'll kick yourself for letting this one go as it'll be really sought after, being so perfect and all!" Sick

tl;dr

Can you buy a bike, from new, and have it worth more than what you paid for it in say 10 years or so? (e.g. classic Ferrari style.)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:26 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but good luck predicting which bikes will be worth more in x years. Expect to be disappointed though. Laughing

A second hand RS250 bought ten years ago is worth quite a bit more than it was then.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fella was raving about the Vulcan S... somehow I don't see it as previously he said a big "problem" is you won't fit in with either the "cruiser crew" or the "sports bike twats" as the bike is neither Arthur nor Martha.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much no. You should be comparing the new price to if you put those funds into a world tracker index fund, then subtract storage costs, maintenance, and ease of sale.

I know someone who sold a very desirable car 10 years ago that has doubled in value. I guarantee that keeping it would have cost more than any gains from the appreciation in value. It wasn't ferrari level money though.

If it's a man maths investment though, where really you would be buying it even if it doesn't go up in value, then that's fair enough.

EDIT: just out of curiosity, I looked at an NC30 RRP and appreciation vs 3.66 percent return.

https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/honda/vfr/vfr750r-rc30

RRP of NC30 in 1989 £8500.
Value now (went for the max value on this site) £27,750

£8500 invested over 30 years at 3.66% = £24,989.36

This ignores running costs, insurance etc, and I've been optimistic in favour of the bike.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, it's like buying a Star Wars figure and going "noooo! you can't take it out of the blister pack!" and I'd be like fuck that, I want to play with it... and that's at the age of 47 Smile

(Glances at all the lego on my desk here at work!)

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and don't forget, soon, ice powered bikes will become almost worthless, except as static ornaments, within 20 years at most, as petrol becomes harder to come by etc ...

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
.... and don't forget, soon, ice powered bikes will become almost worthless, except as static ornaments, within 20 years at most, as petrol becomes harder to come by etc ...

Which is why I'm still wanting a diesel bike. Cooking oil FTW.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Bollox to that, and to diesel Wink

Any fuel injection vehicle should take a remap to run on ethanol... vodka FTW Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

Bollox to that, and to diesel Wink

Any fuel injection vehicle should take a remap to run on ethanol... vodka FTW Razz

I don't want a bike that runs on vodka. It'll just want to fight everything.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sulphur
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:11 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Norton V4SS. People taking delivery the past few weeks have already saw values increase quite significantly. Granted, limited production of 200 helps that, but still..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulphur wrote:
The Norton V4SS. People taking delivery the past few weeks have already saw values increase quite significantly. Granted, limited production of 200 helps that, but still..

Is probably the sole reason, apart from it having the Norton badge.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 355 days between these two posts...

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:33 - 11 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if you'd bought a CB750 in 1969 and kept it in the crate without opening it you'd really have made an investment.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 11 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexanderOgden wrote:
The bike is not the best investment.

Would you care to follow up those words of wisdom with a recommendation then? You’ve had long enough to consider it since the previous post...

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 11 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Benelli Tornado TRE being about £4k new Shocked don't think they could shift them, about 2007 I think?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 13 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin joe wrote:
Now if you'd bought a CB750 in 1969 and kept it in the crate without opening it you'd really have made an investment.

True Story: In 1990, I was working for the Detroit Diesel distributor in California. A man came in with six brand new in-the-crate WWII vintage 4-71 powered generator sets that he purchased at a government surplus auction. The engines were 46 years old, brand new, not 1 hour on the clock. When he uncrated the equipment, he found all six engines had seized over time. The rust preventative had petrified, injectors and cylinder kits seized solid. The engines had to be totally disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Some assemblies could not be rebuilt as original, because the OE 1944 parts had been updated over time. By the time the gensets were made serviceable, the customer was into it for about 80% the cost of brand new. A savings sure, but not the bargain he thought he got when he bid at auction. Rolling Eyes
Williboss This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williboss wrote:
When you buy a new bike you should understand that it is not for one year, but for several years.....

It is? Ive bought bikes and kept them for only a month or two - in fact I think the shortest time was just a few hours!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of the cruelty! A bike isn't just for Christmas! Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

to the tune of big ben's chimes -

shit bump, crap post
shit bump, crap post

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Williboss This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
RachelBucklan... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:30 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spam

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williboss loves Willi's
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1