Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Overheating Yamaha dt125r

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Overheating Yamaha dt125r Reply with quote

Hi guys, I just bought a 2003 Yamaha dt125r and it is great fun but I've noticed that after about 2 minutes of riding the temperature gauge starts to touch the red line and stays there, but it rarely enters the red. I changed the coolant and the stuff that came out looked grey, I'll attach a photo. I found a small but of silicone in there which is presumably from a DIY gasket. The coolant level doesn't seem to get lower with time. The cylinder gets very hot whereas the radiator stays cool enough to touch but still quite hot. This is my first liquid cooled bike but after a bit of research I'm thinking it's the thermostat? Please let me know what you think the issue is and what I should do. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:40 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming coolant levels are correct and there is no leakage in the system:

From your description tt could be the thermostat - it could also be an airlock in the cooling system.

Before you test the thermostat I would eliminate the possibility of an airlock by removing the rad cap and giving the bike a few blips of the throttle to circulate the coolant and remove any potential trapped air in the system.

If this does not fix it then testing the thermostat is your next option.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:49 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as you found a bit of silicon, I would checking the water pump and rad for more of it blocking something.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the rebuilt bike you've just bought?

Stuck thermostat a possibility but I have grave doubts over the ability of anyone who uses silicone sealant when rebuilding a DTR lump to of made a decent job of the rest of the engine.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

""" temperature gauge starts to touch the red line and stays there, but it rarely enters the red.""""
What is the problem with your bike?

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
""" temperature gauge starts to touch the red line and stays there, but it rarely enters the red.""""
I don't know why I said rarely, it does it quite often but doesn't go far into the red. I've been told the needle should sit about half way into the green, have I been misinformed? Hopefully you're right and there's nothing wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Overheating Yamaha dt125r Reply with quote

Rjgk2012 wrote:
I changed the coolant and the stuff that came out looked grey ... I'm thinking it's the thermostat?

Drain the coolant, rinse it out and see what comes out if anything. Test the thermostat with hot water. Refill the system and measure how much it takes, it should take what the manual says, if not you might have an airlock.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:48 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Overheating Yamaha dt125r Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Rjgk2012 wrote:
I changed the coolant and the stuff that came out looked grey ... I'm thinking it's the thermostat?

Drain the coolant, rinse it out and see what comes out if anything. Test the thermostat with hot water. Refill the system and measure how much it takes, it should take what the manual says, if not you might have an airlock.

To test the thermostat , take it out and hang it it on a bit of wire and stick it in a pan of hot water.
Bang the water on the stove and start heating it up, from time to time lift the stat out of the water. Before the water boils the disk in the the thermostat should move, opening a way for water to pass through. If it hasn't opened by the time the water has boiled , it's Donald. It's either a duff stat or an airlock. (99% of the time)

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove pipes from radiator.
Stick a hose pipe in radiator inlet pipe and flush a lot of water through. Do it in reverse is a good way of getting rid or any stuck crap.

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Is this the rebuilt bike you've just bought?

Stuck thermostat a possibility but I have grave doubts over the ability of anyone who uses silicone sealant when rebuilding a DTR lump to of made a decent job of the rest of the engine.
Yes it has had the top end rebuilt but I believe that's it. Everything else seems to be working so far but I suppose time will tell.

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Overheating Yamaha dt125r Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:

To test the thermostat , take it out and hang it it on a bit of wire and stick it in a pan of hot water.
Bang the water on the stove and start heating it up, from time to time lift the stat out of the water. Before the water boils the disk in the the thermostat should move, opening a way for water to pass through. If it hasn't opened by the time the water has boiled , it's Donald. It's either a duff stat or an airlock. (99% of the time)

Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow. A new thermostat is only about £20 so not bad really.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rjgk2012 wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:
I don't know why I said rarely, it does it quite often but doesn't go far into the red. I've been told the needle should sit about half way into the green, have I been misinformed? Hopefully you're right and there's nothing wrong.

What makes you think that the temperature gauge is correct?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:28 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to find out if it's the thermostat is just take it out and go for a ride.

If it still gets too hot it's not the thermostat.

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Overheating Yamaha dt125r Reply with quote

So I tested the thermostat and it worked but there was a small bit of silicone stuck in the small hole in it, I don't see why this will make much difference. The water pump was also working fine and I believe there are no air locks, I measured the fluid that went in and it seemed correct. I put in some decent coolant and it seems to stay away from the red zone now but realistically it was probably just the recent hot weather. I'm gonna leave it at that for now unless it starts to frequently go back into the red zone. There are other issues with this bike that I need to pay attention to and i'll start new threads for them if I need any assistance. I've got a faulty clutch which causes me trouble when trying to get moving as it doesn't fully disengage and I've got a leaky carb which will hopefully be simple to fix but I'm struggling to find the cause so far. I'll spend some time trying to figure it all out and start a new thread if necessary, thanks for the help.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

""" starts to touch the red line and stays there""
""" doesn't go far into the red. ""
"" I'm gonna leave it at that for now unless it starts to frequently go back into the red zone. ""

Make your mind up, i think you are the problem!

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:59 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Overheating Yamaha dt125r Reply with quote

Rjgk2012 wrote:
So I tested the thermostat and it worked but there was a small bit of silicone stuck in the small hole in it, I don't see why this will make much difference.

That small hole in the thermostat is for de-aeration (removal of air) of the coolant. You might have unknowingly found and corrected your problem when you inspected the 'stat.

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Overheating Yamaha dt125r Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Rjgk2012 wrote:
So I tested the thermostat and it worked but there was a small bit of silicone stuck in the small hole in it, I don't see why this will make much difference.

That small hole in the thermostat is for de-aeration (removal of air) of the coolant. You might have unknowingly found and corrected your problem when you inspected the 'stat.

That's interesting, well it's running a lot cooler now so perhaps that did make a difference.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Overheating Yamaha dt125r Reply with quote

Rjgk2012 wrote:

What if no hot water was able to get to the thermostat? It might take a long time to warm the thermostat up enough for it to open... Manufacturers don't go making expensive holes in things without reason Smile

Did you find any other rubbish coming out when you flushed out the system, by the way?

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Overheating Yamaha dt125r Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Rjgk2012 wrote:

What if no hot water was able to get to the thermostat? It might take a long time to warm the thermostat up enough for it to open... Manufacturers don't go making expensive holes in things without reason Smile

Did you find any other rubbish coming out when you flushed out the system, by the way?
A couple of other small bits of silicone came out, a previous owner had obviously replaced the water pump gasket with pure silicone and a bit too much of it, replacing that gasket is on my list of things to do. My main priority now is the clutch, I think I'm going to start a new thread for that today as I'm not very knowledgeable about clutches and it's being a pain, stalling my bike when I put it in gear with the clutch lever all the way in. Other than that I bloody love this bike.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Overheating Yamaha dt125r Reply with quote

Rjgk2012 wrote:
My main priority now is the clutch, I think I'm going to start a new thread for that today as I'm not very knowledgeable about clutches and it's being a pain, stalling my bike when I put it in gear with the clutch lever all the way in. Other than that I bloody love this bike.

You could try a (Google) serch like this:

dtr 125 clutch disengage site:bikechatforums.com

which throws out a few results. You could even leave out the "dtr" for general information.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure it’s an issue with the clutch and not something as simple as a poorly adjusted lever? How much free play do you have? Could also be the side stand switch cutting the engine.

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
You sure it’s an issue with the clutch and not something as simple as a poorly adjusted lever? How much free play do you have? Could also be the side stand switch cutting the engine.
Fairly certain it's the clutch, I've tried adjusting the lever, tightening it and giving it free play, and from my understanding the side stand would kill the engine but not cause the bike to jolt forwards like mine does.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the incorrect engine oil not suitable for wet clutches.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:27 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

The only thing that I can thing of with oil fucking the clutch is it slipping due to additives.

What does the mightly mind of seedless90 think is making the clutch too grabby due to the oil?

Rjgk2012
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
I just replaced the oil yesterday with Castrol 10w30, suitable for wet clutches, but the problem persists. After a bit of reading I'm thinking there's grooves in the clutch basket.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2