Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Second phone number app/sim.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Second phone number app/sim. Reply with quote

I've asked my provider whether it's possible to have a second phone "disposable" number associated with my account. That would be good. I assume that if their software can link another SIM to my account the cost would be low or 0.

There are "free second phone number apps". Anyone tried one and found it to be OK (or otherwise)?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive asked, they couldnt do this. You could set up a second payg sim and set up forwarding for recieving calls, but you wouldnt be able to make them. Ive not tried it.

Best bet is a dual sim phone, which I have been using for 2 years to keep work and private seperated. The work number is mostly recieving calls so I use very little credit, 5 quid lasts a year or two. If I do make work calls on primary number I make number hidden with 141. Some people wont answer 141's, but thats not my problem .

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just a PAYG SIM, throw on minimal credit to keep live/do what you need. I use Lebara £10 a month bundle gives me 3GB, unlimited uk mins, 100 international mins and 1000 texts.

They have even cheaper bundles I think they start at £5

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or am I misunderstanding and you want to use 1 physical SIM with 2 numbers linked?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a "pay monthly" account on Smarty, which piggybacks on "3". My very basic Android device can use two SIM cards plus the micro SD, so if Smarty can let me have another SIM linked to my account, that would be OK. I don't really want the hassle of a PAYG arrangement. You cannot have two numbers on one SIM.

There are apps such as the (non0-UK) "Burner" which would also be good, if there is a free one.

I anticiate receiving a tiny number of UK calls, and not making any.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Why not just a PAYG SIM, throw on minimal credit to keep live/do what you need. I use Lebara £10 a month bundle gives me 3GB, unlimited uk mins, 100 international mins and 1000 texts.

They have even cheaper bundles I think they start at £5

FYI https://smarty.co.uk/plans/30gb-data

Although since I don't often use the phone network for data, I pay £5/month for 3GB and unlimited everything (but no "international miniutes").

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this with EE. Mine, wifeys and a tablet all on the same account which is what I think you are getting at.

It's great, 1 bill and cheap as chips, under £50 a month which included a phone.

But, I went to renew it after th contract time limit and get wifie a new phone and they refused point blank, no more linked accounts but we can do you separate ones Sir. Separate suddenly pushed it to over £70 a month. Evil or Very Mad

So, I'm no use to you but if you find a company that will do it, post who it is as I've been looking and not found one yet.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
So, I'm no use to you but if you find a company that will do it, post who it is as I've been looking and not found one yet.

Vodafone do it. My mobile bill includes my Broadband and land line bill and gives me an additional 15%+ off additional numbers linked to the account which are included on the one bill.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Vodafone do it. My mobile bill includes my Broadband and land line bill and gives me an additional 15%+ off additional numbers linked to the account which are included on the one bill.

Do they now. I didn't get any joy off them on line. Maybe time to brave a shop and chat person to person. I'm wondering if it's specifically available to you as you have broadband with them? Will see.

Cheers.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Do they now. I didn't get any joy off them on line. Maybe time to brave a shop and chat person to person. I'm wondering if it's specifically available to you as you have broadband with them? Will see.

Cheers.

Pretty prominent on the website just here.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have this with EE. Mine, wifeys and a tablet all on the same account which is what I think you are getting at.

It's great, 1 bill and cheap as chips, under £50 a month which included a phone.

But, I went to renew it after th contract time limit and get wifie a new phone and they refused point blank, no more linked accounts but we can do you separate ones Sir. Separate suddenly pushed it to over £70 a month. Evil or Very Mad

Smarty (piggybacking off Three) who I use on a monthly contract only allow one SIM per e-mail address, but allow "groups", where one person can set up a group of up to 8 SIMs on their account, each SIM having its own plan, and saving 10% on each SIM, retaining any data discounts available.

Not quite what I was looking for, the cheapest I think would be my current plan which works out at £6/month for unlimited calls/texts and a bit of data (I'm refunded for what's not used, the £5 is after refund), PLUS their cheapest account which also seems to be £5/month after discount. Linking those would make £10/month, less £10 discount for the group of two numbers is £9, plus currently there's a "Get a bonus £10 account credit for both you and your friend!" offer, so it effectively give me 2 2/9ths months free thereafter £9/month for two numbers.

For simplicity in your case you could say 3 x 30GB/month (unlimited texts/mins) is £30 total, but with a month free on each "extra" account in the "invited" group, plus 2 months for the "inviting" account, plus a £10 bonus on each account effectively giving another free month on each. However, I confuse fairly easily, and ICBW about the discounts. Look at their website if it's of interest.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Fsck it, they are expensive for SIM-only! Mine eyes are watering.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I have a "pay monthly" account on Smarty, which piggybacks on "3". My very basic Android device can use two SIM cards plus the micro SD, so if Smarty can let me have another SIM linked to my account, that would be OK. I don't really want the hassle of a PAYG arrangement. You cannot have two numbers on one SIM.

There are apps such as the (non0-UK) "Burner" which would also be good, if there is a free one.

I anticiate receiving a tiny number of UK calls, and not making any.

Sounds ideal for a 3 sim. They are free in their stores or 1 pound in a supermarket. Stick 5 quid of credit on it and it will last forever. I have no idea my account details or password but I can still top them up online when I need to.

If your 2nd sim slot is shared with the micro sd like mine, the sim can be modified so that both can be used together.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1