Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can i take an A2 license test if I am over 24?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rufus357
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:55 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Can i take an A2 license test if I am over 24? Reply with quote

Stupid question really but I cant find the answer.

Can i take an A2 license test if I am over 24?

The reason for it is the bike I would like to buy are not valid for the A test and I really dont want/need that level of power

Thanks

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Can i take an A2 license test if I am over 24? Reply with quote

Rufus357 wrote:
The reason for it is the bike I would like to buy are not valid for the A test and I really dont want/need that level of power

Waste of time and money.

Go through a school, pass on a 650 cc and buy whatever you want afterwards.

Insurance would be an awful lot to do it D.I.Y, and examiners don't like people who turn up on their own (without training school instructor).

Save yourself the hassle.

Rufus357
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:21 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - not knocking the opinion but is it actually possible to do it?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufus357 wrote:

Yes. Mental, but yes.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:34 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's possible and no it's not a good idea, in fact, it's one of the very worst ideas.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can but it's moronically retarded.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:49 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would you do that? It's utterly ludicrous.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:01 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufus357 wrote:

If you're over 24 you can do the A1 if you really wish. The age restriction only works the other way, ie stopping you from taking A until 24.

I can see why you'd go down the route if the bike you want to buy is A2 compliant and you want to do the test on your own bike. BUT: That also means you're buying a bike you can't legally ride yet, which means, well - you don't know if it's the bike you want because you've not ridden it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sort of riding you'll do on a test the difference between 47bhp and >60bhp (schools tend to use 650 ~ 700cc bikes) is not all that. More than likely they'll dig out a 650 and restrict it to A2 spec so you might end up riding the same bike whether you choose A2 or A!

I got a full licence and ride around on an A2 bike. At least I can choose to ride something bigger later down the line if I want.

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I plan to do A2 test. I did two days of DAS training recently and I hated the weight of the big bikes (Bmw gs750). Doing the slalom and figure 8 was a pain in the butt on a big bike but smaller was so much easier. I could use my own weight to counterbalance more on a lighter bike.
I'm 54 so not getting any younger. I can safely say I'll be happy on lighter bikes until I'm too old. Big bike to me was dull and cumbersome, like driving a car.
I'll do A2 test with instructor, and Mod1 will be so much easier with a lighter bike. I'll probably end up with a lightweight supermoto as I like the flickability and height.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:15 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinW wrote:
Well I plan to do A2 test. I did two days of DAS training recently and I hated the weight of the big bikes (Bmw gs750). Doing the slalom and figure 8 was a pain in the butt on a big bike but smaller was so much easier. I could use my own weight to counterbalance more on a lighter bike.
I'm 54 so not getting any younger. I can safely say I'll be happy on lighter bikes until I'm too old. Big bike to me was dull and cumbersome, like driving a car.
I'll do A2 test with instructor, and Mod1 will be so much easier with a lighter bike. I'll probably end up with a lightweight supermoto as I like the flickability and height.

To be fair, I think many novice bikers would struggle to manage on a GS750, but there are many bikes of more than 47 bhp that are a hell of a lot more manageable than the BMW. One of the best newbie A licence bikes is probably the CB600f Hornet. At 180kg and a seat height of 31" it is ideal for smaller and lighter riders and is actually smaller than many of the A2 bikes. There is not necessarily correlation between the physical size and weight of the bike and its power output. There are plenty of sub 200kg A category bikes around, I would try one before abandoning the idea altogether. Btw, I am 168cm and 70kg and ride a 300+ kg Pan European so I know how intimidating a big bike can be until you become more practiced.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:19 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that DAS training with BMW?

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 05:45 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the school I used is sponsored\supplied by Bmw. The idea being new students go on to buy what they learnt on.
It is only the weight which is putting me off doing full license, so thanks for pointing out that not all 'big' bikes are really heavy.
I was bought up as a kid riding a 125cc round farm land, and it seems a lot of my balance instincts remain as muscle memory. So the dreaded cone test is a cinch on a light bike, but after a certain weight I felt my instinct wasn't counting for much.
How I ended up on the gs750 is quite amusing. I started off on a 310 and after an hour or so we stopped for a coffee. The instructor said I'll be out in a minute, go and ride round the course. I got onto the white Bmw outside and started riding around. The instructor came out a bit later and was laughing as I'd gotten onto a Gs750 by mistake.
Because I was handling the 750 fine, we kept on it. But after and during the training I realized that bikes this heavy just weren't for me.
I'm going to approach some other schools to do A license on lighter bike, cheers.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:24 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the weight, its where the weight is. Plus the GS750 has silly wide bars.

Actually comfy other than that - i did my DAS on one at their centre near Bassingbourne and the quality of training was excellent.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:04 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That BM is especially lardy but bikes of its ilk just get heavier and heavier these days. It's annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weight and shape of a gs750 make it quite off-putting to new riders. A Kawasaki z650 is almost 40kg lighter and feels more nimble due to its design. A bike legal for a2 tests must be 395cc or more and 20-35kw.... normally nearly as heavy as a full 'A' bike. Maybe a school with bikes you can handle is the way forward.

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
The weight and shape of a gs750 make it quite off-putting to new riders. A Kawasaki z650 is almost 40kg lighter and feels more nimble due to its design. A bike legal for a2 tests must be 395cc or more and 20-35kw.... normally nearly as heavy as a full 'A' bike. Maybe a school with bikes you can handle is the way forward.

Yeah, I'm looking. No one's answering emails or phone must be Covid.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on where you are, they could be busy. I'm doing 6 days a week until Xmas with the amount of people wanting training!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
bikes of its ilk just get heavier and heavier these days. It's annoying.

so true

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to this thread, I just passed mod 1 A license on a Honda 650 today. I was going to do A2 like Rufus was suggesting. Different school, lighter bike, and instructor explaining slow speed counterbalance made the difference. I hate this particular test though, glad to see the back of it. Roll on mod 2.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinW wrote:
Thanks to this thread, I just passed mod 1 A license on a Honda 650 today. I was going to do A2 like Rufus was suggesting. Different school, lighter bike, and instructor explaining slow speed counterbalance made the difference. I hate this particular test though, glad to see the back of it. Roll on mod 2.

Nice one Smile Happily, you only have to do it once Thumbs Up

MOD2 is easier. Just like going for a Sunday morning ride but without the wheelies and insane overtakes.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinW wrote:

Am I missing part of the story here, or just not falling for what appears to be a lie for another funky troll to roll on in.

2nd Aug you first inquire about taking the tests. 6th Aug no one is responding to your emails etc. 10th Aug you've passed Module 2 and have a license.

Hmm. Rolling Eyes

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Am I missing part of the story here, or just not falling for what appears to be a lie for another funky troll to roll on in.

2nd Aug you first inquire about taking the tests. 6th Aug no one is responding to your emails etc. 10th Aug you've passed Module 2 and have a license.

Hmm. Rolling Eyes

No it's true, what a strange attitude to take. I just don't hang about. BSW did respond to recent email and gave me half day training yesterday with test this morning. Mod2 training to commence September some time. They recommend I drive round Exeter on my 125 by myself before training, so I'm familiar with the area. I'll do that then book training and mod2 test with them.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:32 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
JustinW wrote:

Hmm. Rolling Eyes

You've misread the post. And we wonder why the forum is dying Doh!

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
You've misread the post. And we wonder why the forum is dying Doh!

So I have, my apologies.

Old age. I must be going sea-lion.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1