Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Isle of Wight road racing.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Isle of Wight road racing. Reply with quote

Sounds like this could happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMFtzX7jUXA
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said for years the Isle would make a great race track or concentration camp Laughing

If it happens (and that's a big if), it would be cool. Bet the Ferry prices go up 500% though.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I've said for years the Isle would make a great race track or concentration camp Laughing

If it happens (and that's a big if), it would be cool. Bet the Ferry prices go up 500% though.
Limited run off along Military Road.... unless your bike floats of course.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lap of the proposed 12.4 mile course commentated by Steve Plater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y--4l4NPhMk

There are a lot of residents who are going to have to be brought on side where the course is passing their houses. Wonder what response they've had so far - probably the make-or-break factor I'm guessing.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:12 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paging lilredmachine, paging lilredmachine!

https://www.autosport.com/tt/news/150891/isle-of-wight-road-race-announced-for-2021

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

That article talks as though the whole thing has been approved and is definitely to happen. I'm not sure that's quite the case yet. But it certainly seems to have promise.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:00 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

That article talks as though the whole thing has been approved and is definitely to happen. I'm not sure that's quite the case yet. But it certainly seems to have promise.

Has it not been approved? I've read a tonne of articles that seem to say it's a fait accompli (to make a very obscure Level 42 related pun).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtb-E-SEDM0

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/major-motorcycle-race-heading-to-the-isle-of-wight-in-october-2021/

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/diamond-races-isle-of-wight-2021-road-racing-dates-tickets-a9642701.html

https://riders.drivemag.com/news/new-road-racing-event-scheduled-for-2021-isle-of-wight-diamond-races/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/53579682

https://www.iomtt.com/news/2020/07/29/isle-of-wight-diamond-road-races

https://onthewight.com/isle-of-wight-tt-the-diamond-races-are-coming-circuit-map-and-photos/

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/introducing-the-team-behind-diamond-races-isle-of-wight-2021/

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the impression from the first vid I posted that it wasn't 100% on yet. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the old folks who dominate the Isle approve it I can't see it happening.

Circuit of Wales had made to the position of selling tickets only to fall flat on their face...Plater also involved in the promo for that.
If I recall CoW failed because it couldn't get final approval..something about needing +200 mill of taxpayers money to... y'know help it through the first few years.

If IoW TT does actually get going then brill...would consider going too.
May even cost less to get there (no Steam Packet monopoly).

I remain hopeful but sceptical.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

I remain hopeful but sceptical.

I'll take the hopeful bit, and leave the sceptical bit to you Smile
Sooner or later, some project like this has to happen. Scepticism guards against disappointment, but if the people who try to get these things off the ground felt that way, nothing would ever be ventured.

Something to consider is the way our economic future has now been compromised by Covid. I think there will be a lot more willingness to ok such things as people have seen their livelihoods decimated and will be desperate to find anything that can regenerate some wealth. The old folks may have to play second fiddle for this reason alone. Tourism and its spin-offs are going to play a very important role in any economic recovery, and this has huge potential in that regard.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife and I went to the Isle of Wight a few years ago. While we were driving around the wife asked if the road we were on was part of the TT course.

Not laughing so much now, am I? Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
The wife and I went to the Isle of Wight a few years ago. While we were driving around the wife asked if the road we were on was part of the TT course.

Not laughing so much now, am I? Rolling Eyes

Quick, drive her around all over the country! Very Happy

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the prod Marjay.

Will sit and wait patiently to see what happens. We've already had our collection of local Rossi wannabee poser sportsbike twats hammering around the proposed course pissing off the locals. The rest of the biking community has ostracised them over it which has hopefully nipped it in the bud.

My guess is it will last a couple of years then some councillor will moan which will end it. I'd like to remind everyone that we in fact hosted the FIM world motocross for 2 years at Arreton but that got cancelled, presumably so some sort of backhanded deal over a recycling plant that now occupies the land complete with all the subsidies/tax breaks that brings could be built.

That or 2 riders will die in the first practice, everyone will recoil in horror, the race will be cancelled on the spot and never spoken of again. Much like the TT would be cancelled immediately if it was started up today, didn't have the heritage it has and proceeded to have the death toll it has had over the years. I cannot see a council [especially ours] allowing an event to go ahead that has actively killed/will kill more people competing in it. In fact I'm actually still pretty shocked it has even been considered, maybe the council is even more broke than usual and someone has pointed out it's going to be a multi million pound tourism attraction.

Just my view. I hope it does happen, will be something awesome to watch and some of the roads round here are amazing. There is a possibility of an easily 30+ mile roadcourse hiding in here somewhere, easily an equal of the TT course should they allow it.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an aside to this, in March there was supposed to be a sprint race on Sandown seafront [think Brighton speed trials] for the first time ever. Covid put paid to that, but it's vaunted for next year, it appears the council is quite open to shutting bits of the Island for racing events these days.

Not sure if that was well known outside the Island or not.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:27 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Just my view. I hope it does happen, will be something awesome to watch and some of the roads round here are amazing. There is a possibility of an easily 30+ mile roadcourse hiding in here somewhere, easily an equal of the TT course should they allow it.

This sums up my opinion. There are some awful roads on the island, but a few great ones too.

Mind you... if they laid out the course on some of the wider but more potholed roads of the island, then that will give the council a reason to resurface... Unlikely perhaps, but an intriguing possibility.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
maybe the council is even more broke than usual and someone has pointed out it's going to be a multi million pound tourism attraction.

They undoubtedly will be, and money is a very powerful driver, often to the exclusion of all else these days. For once, that may benefit everyone.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:46 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
lilredmachine wrote:
maybe the council is even more broke than usual and someone has pointed out it's going to be a multi million pound tourism attraction.

They undoubtedly will be, and money is a very powerful driver, often to the exclusion of all else these days. For once, that may benefit everyone.

Except for the NIMBY's who will probably claim persecution, torture, Human Rights, PTSD, hearing damage and loss of appetite when suing the organisers, the council, the government, the EU, the Japanese government, James Hillier, Guy Martin, George Formby, David Essex, That guy from Biker Boyz, Mr Harley and Mr Davidson, The family of the guy who started the Dunlop tyre company, Francis Rossi, Mr Sheene etc etc.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
lilredmachine wrote:

I noticed Herts council (and others) did that for the 'Tour of Britain' (Eh? or some such televised cycle race) a few years ago. I was disgusted it took the impending TV coverage to shame them into doing a proper job of road repair.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 08 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it does go ahead and they have a lightweight class I might have to go get my licence and compete with this sat around.

https://i.postimg.cc/28LmpCGV/IMG-20200804-085144718.jpg

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 08 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't a similar Welsh tt idea get scuppered by the fact you can't just close roads and derestrict the speed limit?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:27 - 08 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Didn't a similar Welsh tt idea get scuppered by the fact you can't just close roads and derestrict the speed limit?

The law has changed since then.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 08 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:

The "Welsh TT" was not going to be held on public roads though, they were roads under control of the MOD and could be closed whenever the MOD saw fit,.
A technicality, I know, but not the same thing really!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1