It MAkEs My TYres SticKY LOLZ
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 34

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

A 2” stripe (possibly a third of your tyre) is not a little.

It is not a constant 2" stripe around the tyre. As I said it gets worn off almost instantly. Only the chicken strip and sidewall has a visible stripe which is a thin layer of dirt, oil and soft rubber where a tiny amount is absorbed. To the touch it has grip, it is not a slimey goo.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:46 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
We will see then. As I have been oiling my chain in this way since 2012, it must be about time some oil thows me down the road Laughing

Marjay, the childish use of caps does not change the fact you are wrong. Strong solvents, used repeatedley can damage the structure of a tyre, can cause invisible damage and could fail. Oil may reduce grip, but not with the amounts possible from chain fling.

I'm not wrong. How can the brake cleaner attack the structure of the tyre when it barely touches the very top surface of the rubber before it evaporates away? A solvent that is not as volatile can indeed attack the rubber, but I'm not dipping the tyre in toluene.

Ironically it's possible that the oils that get on the tyre contain much less volatile solvents from the propellant in spray chain lube, to the friction modifiers and detergents that sit in engine oil.

Also, it's been established that you're quite happy for a tyre to effectively sit in a bath of oil and still ride on it, people have previously quoted you as such, so don't try to move the goalposts now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:50 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

It is not a constant 2" stripe around the tyre. As I said it gets worn off almost instantly. Only the chicken strip and sidewall has a visible stripe which is a thin layer of dirt, oil and soft rubber where a tiny amount is absorbed. To the touch it has grip, it is not a slimey goo.

Does it get worn off though? Engine oil and chain lube is designed to cling to surfaces, and with the microscopic texture of the rubber being such that there are plenty of places for the oil to hide until the higher spots are worn off, it's entirely logical that oil could hang around for a long time, particularly if it were to get into a tread groove. You could well have a thin line of oil sitting on the side of a tread block that has no effect until the block is worn, and then you get oil permeating the surface of the tyre. This would NOT Happen with brake cleaner, as brake cleaner would boil off in 60 seconds or so.

The way to be sure you don't have any oil on your tyre is either clean it off with a more volatile more potent solvent, or don't get oil on your tyre in the first place.

Sometimes people get backed into a corner during a 'discussion' like this, and I feel like you're there. Can I just remind you that your position is effectively that the act of cleaning oil off of a tyre with brake cleaner is worse than leaving oil on the tyre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the same logic, stronger solvents like carb cleaner or MEK could be used as they evaporate quick enough. Solvents are absorbed by the things they attack and take much longer to evaporate out. It takes a good 24 hours for MEK to completely evaporate from ABS slurry where as the same amount will take seconds from an open bottle.

Instead, wipe surface oil off with a dry cloth. Wash the surface with soap and rinse with water. Oil gone and zero damage to rubber. However its unnessasary, any surface oil will be worn off in a couple hundred meters of normal riding.

Your fear of oil is unnessasary. The important point is that there is not a thick film of oil between a tyre and the road surface. If your sump plug fell out that would be a problem , but chain fling is not.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:51 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all Carb cleaner does not evaporate quickly enough, otherwise it would be brake cleaner. Carb cleaner needs time to sit and dissolve the varnish and other fuel residues. Using carb cleaner on your tyres would be an enormous mistake.

Secondly, I won't be lectured on how to remove oil from a tyre by a man who happily lets his tyres sit with oil or lube on the surface.

kramdra wrote:

Your fear of oil is unnessasary. The important point is that there is not a thick film of oil between a tyre and the road surface. If your sump plug fell out that would be a problem , but chain fling is not.

Who said I fear oil? I'm pragmatic about it, which is different from being blasé. Who would be a good example of blasé? Oh, wait... you! I aim to never get any hydrocarbon based product onto my tyres, If I do, I clean it off with the fastest evaporating solvent that I have access to. You've also changed your stance, as in the other thread you basically described your tyre as sitting in oil!

In fact describing you as blasé is probably something of a compliment considering your previous comments.

Ironically I think Carb cleaner does contain toluene - or at least it used to... which just shows how really clueless Kramdra really is.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet, brake cleaner is a hydrocarbon product Laughing
Carb cleaner and brake cleaner are very similar, depending on brand and mix. They evaporate at a similar rate. If you are cleaning jets you need to put them in a sealed pot to soak to be effective. Both are likely to contain acetone and xylene, neither of which do I want on my tyres.

Also worth noting this on the wikipedia page for brake cleaner.

"Rubber and some types of plastics are decomposed by brake cleaners by removing binding components. This has the consequence that the rubber will appear unchanged at first; however, it will become brittle, and after a few weeks to months cracks and fractures appear. "

I have not changed my stance. I do not deliberately bathe my tyres in oil, but if I find oil has been spilt I would have no problem riding the bike until they are clean. I have suggested how somone could safely remove the oil, if they were fussy about it.

Fork oil or other oils will be wiped off with a dry cloth.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Why do you regard engine oil as acceptable on a tyre but not "other oils"? What's the difference?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experience. Were this thread about fork oil, my answer would have been "Fuck no!!! Get it off ASAP!!!", but not with solvents. Front sliding around like Marquez and rear spinning up was not uncommon when I had badly leaking forks, for a few weeks last winter. Cleaning the fork seals would normally fix the leak, atleast temporarily, and no more problems. I am hopeful that my new genuine seals will never leak.

Engine oil, which I use every day, has not caused any issues.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:26 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Experience.

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:29 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
And yet, brake cleaner is a hydrocarbon product Laughing

In the same way that petrol is not the same as diesel, is not the same as paraffin, is not the same as chain lube is not the same as crude is not the same as engine oil...

Need I go on? I aim (aim, just to reiterate) to not get ANY hydrocarbon product on my tyres which does include brake cleaner. However, knowing what I know about the properties of brake cleaner, that is definitely my preferred option due to it's volatility. It would not have time to penetrate the rubber, and if it did have some sort of hardening effect (unlikely in the 60 seconds it takes to evaporate) it would only affect less than a micron thickness of rubber which could probably be wiped off with a cloth.

You have to compare like with like, and Brake cleaner is NOTHING like engine oil, despite them both being made from carbon and hydrogen atoms. Take Ethanol, it's structurally very different from Methanol. Drink one (diluted, I'm annoyed that I feel I have to say that) and you'll get drunk. Drink the other even diluted and you could go blind. I don't see why I'm having to explain this.

Just to let you know, I studied organic chemistry at University, so I do happen to know a little bit about hydrocarbons.
kramdra This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 22:27 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/55/09/78/5509785be92b9823da16a6f50a19490d.gif

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:32 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why engineers provide detailed instructions to lathe users.....

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:33 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Yet using brake cleaner on tyres is unnessasary, and known to cause damage to rubber, you still use it. Your reasoning that it evaporates before it does any damage is very flawed, and worth noting that vapour will also do damage, it does not need to be liquid, and yes those vapours will stay in the porus structure if the rubber surface. That is far worse than a bit of oil.

You mention microns but clearly you do not know how small they are. The porus surface of a tyre likely has a roughness of 100 microns deep or more, all of which that is in contact with it will be affected. Some will be absorbed quite a bit deeper and I would suggest upto 2000 microns with 60 seconds of contact. That is 2mm, if you were confused.

I was not asked for evidence, I was asked my opinion of why I consider engine oil ok and the other is not, for which my experience that forms my opinion is perfectly valid to reply.

You are a failure.

You've just written that to sound like you know what you're talking about. It's pretty much all nonsense.

If the rubber of a tyre is porous, then oil can be absorbed by it. Whereas a hydrocarbon as volatile as brake cleaner would still reach it's vapour point if inside the porous structure of the tyre and then escape the way it got in. Oil doesn't vaporise at the temperatures reached inside a tyre, so it just stays there.

This isn't complex chemistry or anything, the brake cleaner is designed to be as unreactive and as volatile as possible and still provide a cleaning action.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
This isn't complex chemistry or anything, the brake cleaner is designed to be as unreactive and as volatile as possible and still provide a cleaning action.

If that were true then brake cleaner would be pentane or hexane, but it is not. Almost all brake cleaners are a mix containing acetone (replacing chlorinated solvents that give off chlorine, when exposed to welding temperatures). Acetone is not unreactive.

Which brand of brake cleaner do you use? The mix will be shown in the MSDS.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 23:22 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://media0.giphy.com/media/mKMGLhoD8L4yc/giphy.gif

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:20 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

If that were true then brake cleaner would be pentane or hexane, but it is not. Almost all brake cleaners are a mix containing acetone (replacing chlorinated solvents that give off chlorine, when exposed to welding temperatures). Acetone is not unreactive.

Which brand of brake cleaner do you use? The mix will be shown in the MSDS.

The Safety data sheet says it's 'naptha' which means (in conjuction with the low boiling point) it is indeed a mixture of pentane and hexane. The label says it doesn't contain silicone, halogenated hydrocarbons or acetone.

You know why I know this? Well, I did look at the safety data sheet, but before I looked at that I knew that those substances were banned in household products due to environmental legislation. (well, not Silicone but that would be a dumb thing to put in Brake cleaner as it's not very volatile and it's effectively a lubricant).

https://www.servicebest.com/downloadable/1831697_EN.pdf

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 08 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHS of rear gets hosed in chain lube (90w gear oil). Once a week(ish) I use brake cleaner to remove it.

Can't say I've noticed a problem. But am not a fast rider.

One thing I would say, is once the tyre is cleaned with brake cleaner, that edge becomes high friction to touch. Wiping a clothe round and the clothe keeps getting stuck / snagged. Doesn't happen on the other side.

Not saying it improves grip, or alters the tyre. I'm sure after a few corners its business as usual.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 02:33 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marje, you've been sucked into an argument with an idiot with delusions of competence. Just walk away.

He's like a trump supporter. It's obvious he's wrong, the evidence all points at it, but in his mind winning the argument is more important than being right.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:01 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Marje, you've been sucked into an argument with an idiot with delusions of competence. Just walk away.

He's like a trump supporter. It's obvious he's wrong, the evidence all points at it, but in his mind winning the argument is more important than being right.

The same type of people think you win an argument by being the last person to repeat their position, whereas the reality is that the other person is fed up with talking to a fuckwit.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

https://i.imgflip.com/4awe1q.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found an old towel sufficient for wiping off chain oil fling, YMMV.
For road use, I found that a bit of oil on the rubber is nothing compared to hitting diesel, a fuck off great puddle, gravel or freshly 'dressed' tarmac surfaces.
That said, I well remember the days of flung-dung Chinese rubber when the offered traction was probably comparable to a modern day tyre soaked in an oil bath!!

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honestly confused by all this. I almost always end up with a bits of oil on my rear tyre after I clean with paraffin, wipe/spin (on paddock stand, all the way to 6th gear and 10k rpm, must be about 120mph equivalent or whatever - yes, I know it's not safe) and then oil with 80w-90 (toothbrush, just gentle layer against rust, nothing more) and wipe excess again. It's like tiny streaks, should I get it off the tyre every time? Paraffin+rag? Is paraffin safe on tyre? Washing up liquid does the job on the rim well, so...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolu wrote:
I'm honestly confused by all this. I almost always end up with a bits of oil on my rear tyre after I clean with paraffin, wipe/spin (on paddock stand, all the way to 6th gear and 10k rpm, must be about 120mph equivalent or whatever - yes, I know it's not safe)

OMG why would you do that, you (probably) 3-fingered loon. I feel faint. Spin it by hand while holding a rag around the lower rung.
kolu wrote:
and then with 80w-90 (toothbrush, just gentle layer against rust, nothing more) and wipe excess again. It's like tiny streaks, should I get it off the tyre every time?

I think you need to read smartaland's 'How do I get chain lube on my tires every. Single. Time?' thread.
"Bits of oil" are probably inevitable but you've missed kramdra's posts (there and earlier) where he literally drenches the chain and then rides regardless, "safe" in the knowledge that the great excess of oil knowingly flung onto the tyre is worn off once he hits the road, and forgetting that once he's on the road it's too late. Having denied there's any effect he then rates tyres on their resistance to oil slippage, bizarrely.

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

OMG why would you do that, you (probably) 3-fingered loon. I feel faint. Spin it by hand while holding a rag around the lower rung.

I'm not sticking my fingers there! I sit on the bike and spin the rear - when I tried to just wipe off paraffin I still ended up having tons of it on the chain. Spinning the thing does remove a lot of it quite easy.

anyway - is paraffin okay on tyre?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3