Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Covid V5 Replacement leadtimes???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Covid V5 Replacement leadtimes??? Reply with quote

I don't suppose anyone has tried applying for a new V5 during lockdown have they

As per my previous post, i had been looking at a Triuomph Street Triple R (which i have ended up buying) but the previous owner lost the V5, so the dealer sellign the bike has had to apply for new one (which was done on 31st July), and obviuosly they won't let me take the bike till they have the V5

So i'm wondering how long it normally takes, and how long it might take with the whole Covid situation, as i'm itching to get my grubby thille paws on it

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know their webchat service is closed, but can you phone them up for a chat & ask about possible delays (or ask the dealer)?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps on buying and selling vehicles, I sold my KTM and got the notification less than 4 days later that it had been sold (together with the refund cheque for VED) and on buying, I had the V5 circa 3 days after purchase.

I don't suspect you'll be waiting long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
If it helps on buying and selling vehicles, I sold my KTM and got the notification less than 4 days later that it had been sold (together with the refund cheque for VED) and on buying, I had the V5 circa 3 days after purchase.

I don't suspect you'll be waiting long.

Cheers, thats what i like to hear

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:35 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath!

In normal times it can take up to 6 weeks! .. I applied for one 8 weeks ago and still haven't received it!

When I phoned them the other day they couldn't give me a timeline but said I could tax the bike over the phone using the VIN number.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:41 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved house at the beginning of March. I sent off all my V5's early April. They were back within 14 days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
Don't hold your breath!

In normal times it can take up to 6 weeks! .. I applied for one 8 weeks ago and still haven't received it!

When I phoned them the other day they couldn't give me a timeline but said I could tax the bike over the phone using the VIN number.

NOOOOOOOOOO........ don't tell me that

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems very hit and miss. I sent off for a colour change on the DT (4 to 6 weeks) and I think it came back in 3.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger, not only would that long a wait be very annoying, it would also fuck up my insurance NCD, as my old Hornet is going tonight, and after speaking with my insurer, they will only "pause" my insurance for a maximum of 7 days until they either cancel it, or i insure another bike

No i'm guessing i can't insure a bike that the dealership still has in their possession (even though i have paid for it in full) as it might end up with the bike being insured twice (once by me, once by the dealer)

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:24 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

No i'm guessing i can't insure a bike that the dealership still has in their possession (even though i have paid for it in full) as it might end up with the bike being insured twice (once by me, once by the dealer)

Why would you pay for it in full if you can not take possession of the bike?

Why does the dealer have to apply for the V5?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

Why would you pay for it in full if you can not take possession of the bike?

Why does the dealer have to apply for the V5?

Because i was there and i could pay it, so i did

And the dealer needs the V5 so that they can transfer possossion over to me, the V5 had already been applied for before i agreed to buy it

EDIT:
Just rang the dealer, and they do not have a seperate policy out on the bike, so i am good to swap my current insurnace over to it

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:59 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transfer possession? No such thing.

You've paid for it, the bike is yours, you are the owner of it, why is it still at the dealership?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

You've paid for it, the bike is yours, you are the owner of it, why is it still at the dealership?

Getting serviced and PDI'd, plus i can't pick it up till the weekend anyway or tax it till they have the V5

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:35 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

And the dealer needs the V5 so that they can transfer possossion over to me, the V5 had already been applied for before i agreed to buy it

EDIT:
Just rang the dealer, and they do not have a seperate policy out on the bike, so i am good to swap my current insurnace over to it

The dealer transfers ownership to you by giving you a receipt when you pay for the bike! That is your only proof of ownership.

The V5 is purely the registered keeper of the bike and is not proof of ownership.

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:38 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Ste wrote:

Getting serviced and PDI'd, plus i can't pick it up till the weekend anyway or tax it till they have the V5

You can tax it without the V5 .. I checked with the DVLA and you can do it over the phone as long as you have the vehicle VIN number.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

EDIT:

The dealer transfers ownership to you by giving you a receipt when you pay for the bike! That is your only proof of ownership.

The V5 is purely the registered keeper of the bike and is not proof of ownership.

What do i do about the V5 though, if the dealer has already requested a new one

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:39 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

What do i do about the V5 though, if the dealer has already requested a new one

The best thing to do would be to call the DVLA and ask their advice. They're short staffed due to covid so it may take some time to get through.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to dishearten but I bought a bike May 16th, V5 landed June 23rd, longest I've ever had to wait.

OTOH I sold Hornet the weekend lockdown was announced, new owner got the V5 after 2 and a half weeks.

Its hit and miss at the best of times.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:01 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVLA aren't going to able to offer any help. If they say anything then I'd be expecting something along the lines of how they advise you to not buy a vehicle from a seller who doesn't have the V5.

If you're buying the bike (you have already bought it Laughing) then I'd just apply for it yourself so that you're not reliant on them remembering to put it into your name when they get the V5.

I hope the bike hasn't got too many extra miles on it when you pick it up. (I'm not skeptical Razz)

The answer that you don't want to hear is to get a refund from the dealer and then buy a bike from a seller who does have the V5. If wanting to be really skeptical then it's not impossible that if you start to get impatient with them, that will encourage them to find the V5 that they've had all along despite blaming it on the previous owner.

I'd question whether the dealer would have been interested in buying the bike from someone who didn't have the V5 for it. As much as the V5 says on the front of it in big letters how it's not proof of ownership, it's generally considered the starting point for proving or showing ownership.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:34 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive applied for replacement V5 for my car been a month so far

sold a bike last week and got road tax refund in 4 days

hit n miss is the phrase alright

stablepeach
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:09 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my new V5 in about 1 week when I notified them online... so it does sound like they're about all over the place...

In terms of insurance I'd check as will your insurance cover the bike if something happens whilst it's at the dealers?

I thought you could be uninsured for 2 years before NCD was lost?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stablepeach wrote:
I got my new V5 in about 1 week when I notified them online... so it does sound like they're about all over the place...

In terms of insurance I'd check as will your insurance cover the bike if something happens whilst it's at the dealers?

Its the not the full years NCD i will lose, but the 8 months since i last renewed that will be lost, as the policy will laspe (if no other vehicle is insured within 7 days), so i will have to start that whole year again

And i have made the insurance company aware that the bike is still at the dealers, but i suspect that would be no different to if any vehicle was at any place of buiness for work being carried out (servicing, repaires etc) as the delaers also has its own servicing department

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:22 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stablepeach wrote:

According to the government website when the V5 is lost and your name is not on the original you have to apply by post for a replacement using form V62.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:49 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received a letter this morning from the DVLA saying that they are dealing with my application for a V5C which should be processed on 13/08/2020 and I should allow 5 working days from then before making enquiries about my application ... If it arrives when they say then that will be nearly 10 weeks from when I posted my application!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:54 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a bike and got a replacement v5 within a week... I haven't had any issues.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2