Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Android Phone SD card woes..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Android Phone SD card woes.. Reply with quote

Been using my generic Chinese android (v7.0) phone for 2 years without any real issues.

The other week the SDCard went kaputt or so I thought and I lost all the photos(although I didn't because I had Google photos installed which uploaded them to 'cloud').

New SD card arrived yesterday and can be formatted as internal storage (phone specific) or removable/portable drive. I opted for the former as I was running out of app space BUT that seems to make no difference. It's there visible in teh settings but cannot be used ??

Re-formatting as removable SDCard then allows me to use the camera but WhatsApp for example complains it cannot find the SD card.

In the settings it shows a second SDCard (the old one?) which apparently I can select 'forget' about..

Its all a bit confusing TBH.. Who know more..?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

..additionally Settings => Storage show only 2.49GBfrom 8.0 GB internal storage being used and yet when trying to add further apps it says 'insufficient internal storage..' Shocked

Some twisted knickers methinks..

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old HTC's used to have option to format as internal storage.
Used to fuck SD cards so fast that most people stopped using it.

Think it is because all the read/writes & SD cards do not like a lot. Also they run a lot hotter if being used a lot.

Could be that it has messed up the contacts on the phone to SD card.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summary..

Internal Storage is showing 2.5 G out of 8G being used
and it won't allow more apps to be installed (e.g a file explorer
so I can see whats going on !!)

(New) SDCard Storage is working for Camera photos only it seems..

Currently not trying to use SDCard as internal memory as I should
have enough of the standard fitment.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this on phones but I have seen similar daft stuff on the succession of naff Android tablets my granddaughter chews through.

AFAIK unless the O/S is particularly well done the so called "Internal Storage" thing just doesn't work* (generally it's some poor interpretation of ASOP.) As you've found External/Removable storage is only for pics and MP3s etc.

From version 5 of Android you should be able to move apps to the external card (if it's >Class 10 speed) but again down to whether the O/S implements such a feature. If you go into settings - apps and find an app you've downloaded you can see if there's a "Move to SD" button.

*Certain to fail unless you have a "good" brand of card, >Class 10 and the phone hardware can even handle fast cards, e.g. like putting a SATA 6Gbps drive on a SATA 3 interface.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Android Phone SD card woes.. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Been using my generic Chinese android (v7.0) phone for 2 years without any real issues.

The other week the SDCard went kaputt or so I thought and I lost all the photos(although I didn't because I had Google photos installed which uploaded them to 'cloud').

New SD card arrived yesterday and can be formatted as internal storage (phone specific) or removable/portable drive. I opted for the former as I was running out of app space BUT that seems to make no difference. It's there visible in teh settings but cannot be used ??

Re-formatting as removable SDCard then allows me to use the camera but WhatsApp for example complains it cannot find the SD card.

In the settings it shows a second SDCard (the old one?) which apparently I can select 'forget' about..

What's the 'phone? Did you make it "forget" about the previous card?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bought a branded card, or cheap knock off? I’ve seen loads of cheapo SD and USB drives forged to display capacities way in excess of what they actually are.

Try putting it into a laptop (via USB adapter if needed) and see what you can actually put on there.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Android Phone SD card woes.. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
A100man wrote:

What's the 'phone? Did you make it "forget" about the previous card?

Ok that was it evidently you DO have to use the 'forget' routine of the old card. Its odd the new card shows in the storage 'manager' and looks good to go, but unless you dismiss (forget) the old greyed out one alongside nothing works.

Oddly I can now download apps too even though I don't have the card set as internal storage.. Oh well live and learn

Cheers All.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
You bought a branded card, or cheap knock off? I’ve seen loads of cheapo SD and USB drives forged to display capacities way in excess of what they actually are.

Try putting it into a laptop (via USB adapter if needed) and see what you can actually put on there.

Branded SAN-disk.. all OK now it seems

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1