Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:51 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly? Reply with quote

On Sunday I rode 550km on a naked 125. During the whole trip I was battling with two things - low top speed, and wind noise. I'm not sure I want to do it again on a 125. I might be able to do my full test soon. If I could get on a bigger bike that would solve the speed problem, but make the wind problem even worse. Does a (functional) windscreen reduce wind noise enough to the point where I could spend 8 hours in the saddle and actually enjoy most of it? Thanks

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:58 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the shape of the windscreen, the size of the windscreen and the position of the windscreen. A windscreen will create a bubble of calm air behind it, the size, shape and position of that bubble depends on the size, shape and position of the screen. The screen will also create turbulence that may increase wind noise, again, the amount and type of turbulence will depend on the size, shape and position of the screen. My advice is to buy a set of ear plugs. The soft foam ones that cost pennies work very well.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's designed for the bike it's usually an improvement however some aftermarket screens can alter the air flow making noise and wind buffeting worse by deflecting it straight at your head.

If you get one, make sure it is adjustable and you might have to play around with it to get the optimal position.

I woud also go for a name brand. They will at least make sure it fits you bike properly.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly? Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
On Sunday I rode 550km on a naked 125. During the whole trip I was battling with two things - low top speed, and wind noise. I'm not sure I want to do it again on a 125. I might be able to do my full test soon. If I could get on a bigger bike that would solve the speed problem, but make the wind problem even worse. Does a (functional) windscreen reduce wind noise enough to the point where I could spend 8 hours in the saddle and actually enjoy most of it? Thanks

Are you wearing ear plugs? If you're not - then do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly? Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
On Sunday I rode 550km on a naked 125 .... Does a (functional) windscreen reduce wind noise enough to the point where I could spend 8 hours in the saddle and actually enjoy most of it? Thanks

42+mph. Hm. Stops? Anyway, yes, as others say if you're getting wind noise, earplugs. I prefer the "mushroom" sort like these: 3M™ E-A-R™ UltraFit™ Earplugs like ar https://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Personal-Protective-Equipment-PPE-/Hearing-Protection/Corded-Banded-Earplugs/3M-E-A-R-Ultrafit-Earplugs~p~670406?utm_source=Protec&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImbj5xq-C6wIVh-7tCh2OPAoJEAQYASABEgK0WvD_BwE

You don't have to use the cord (it is separate in the box they come in); you can snip the "stalks" shorter if you like. I find them much easier to use/clean than foam ones.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for earplugs, very nice on my last long trip Thumbs Up

IMHO windscreens are useful to stop your helmet being buffeted which can get pretty tiring.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

IMHO windscreens are useful to stop your helmet being buffeted which can get pretty tiring.

Anything above 80 and a screen will massively reduce the strain on your arms and neck. At an indicated ton-fifty you only have to move your hand out of the shielded area to appreciate the protection afforded, not that I can recommend even straight-lining at those speeds with one hand only on the bars.

Earplugs and the best good fitting helmet you can afford. Thumbs Up

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:22 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Anything above 80 and a screen will massively reduce the strain on your arms and neck. At an indicated ton-fifty you only have to move your hand out of the shielded area to appreciate the protection afforded, not that I can recommend even straight-lining at those speeds with one hand only on the bars.

As he rides a 125, I very much doubt he will be doing 80 mph, let alone 150.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

As he rides a 125, I very much doubt he will be doing 80 mph, let alone 150.

You didn't see the words 'If I could get on a bigger bike' in the OP's opening post?

Edit: And that isn't to say that a screen isn't beneficial below 80.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:37 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1500 Goldwing had the best fairing/screen ever. You could smoke a fag at motorway speeds. Cool

Wit an open face helmet obviously!

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:41 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i got my Xena i used to get buffetted quite a lot at 50+mph, but since getting the screen the buffetting has stopped altogether but i still get wind noise, but most of the time i am wearing earphones for the sat nav which cuts out most of it Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly? Reply with quote

arry wrote:

this - so fucking this

fuck screens; they'll do nothing compared to earplugs

these are the earplugs you want (they are silicon, soft and comfy to wear for hours - try trimming the long ends of if you like, that's not a problem; moisten them with goodly amount of olive oil, and maybe even do the same with your finger, to your ear, so that both the earplug and your inner ear are oily; the plug will make a seal easily, and cut out A LOT OF NOISE - as in, most of it):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicone-Earplugs-Flexible-Swimming-Comfortable/dp/B07P1SPN8M/ref=sr_1_53?dchild=1&keywords=earplugs&link_code=qs&qid=1596616087&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-53&tag=firefox-uk-21

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I put a taller screen on an XJ900 it was a complete abomination, causing far more wind to be directed at your head and a lot of buffeting too.
The original smaller one went back on and your head still got steady blast but less hit your body.
So a small screen can help more than you think and it can complement the style of a naked bike.

You tend to just get used to it though.
Later I had a naked Bandit 1200 and never even considered a screen despite doing a lot of high speed touring on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

this - so fucking this

these are the earplugs you want (they are silicon, soft and comfy to wear for hours - try trimming the long ends of if you like, that's not a problem; moisten them with goodly amount of olive oil, and maybe even do the same with your finger, to your ear, so that both the earplug and your inner ear are oily; the plug will make a seal easily, and cut out A LOT OF NOISE - as in, most of it):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicone-Earplugs-Flexible-Swimming-Comfortable/dp/B07P1SPN8M/ref=sr_1_53?dchild=1&keywords=earplugs&link_code=qs&qid=1596616087&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-53&tag=firefox-uk-21

It's no shock to me that most of the elderly bikers I know are deaf as a post whereas the elderly gents I know in work all hear fine.

I wish to feck that someone would have given me the advice to wear them earlier in my biking life. I have mild onset of tinnitus and I don't want it - at all - ever.

I had custom plugs made after about 2 years of riding and they were great. However, over time, my ears have obviously changed shape as their effect reduced drastically. It was only after I put ear-bud earphones in relatively recently for sat nav sake that I realised they were quieter than the moulded ones by a fair old way.

So I bought these on sale:
https://www.flareaudio.com/collections/earplugs-1/products/isolate-pro-titanium

They're the absolute business. In fact if anything they're probably a little TOO quiet. Comfortable, quiet as hell, cheap and relatively easy to put in (not as easy as moulded plugs mind).

Pigeon went and bought some on my recommendation and says same. I've also recommended them to another biker mate of mine with SERIOUS tinnitus problems from years of abuse and he's over the moon, too.

Just do it, and don't look back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly? Reply with quote

arry wrote:

this - so fucking this

I like that style but with a bit of string so you don't lose one. Bit like mittens for special ppl Laughing

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to reiterate the ear plugs thing, in addition to the reduced wind noise and saving your hearing, I also find wearing ear plugs makes me a lot less tired when riding long distances. Not sure why but it really makes a big difference for me.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:35 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already got earplugs - they make a huge difference so that is great. But it was a long day riding, probably 8 hours actually riding + more of resting, and by the end even with earplugs I was just fed up of the wind in my face. Especially because spanish highways are often raised up and get a lot of crosswind too.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:21 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
by the end even with earplugs I was just fed up of the wind in my face. Especially because spanish highways are often raised up and get a lot of crosswind too.

I have the perfect solution for you, it is called a car. Rolling Eyes

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Already got earplugs - they make a huge difference so that is great. But it was a long day riding, probably 8 hours actually riding + more of resting, and by the end even with earplugs I was just fed up of the wind in my face. Especially because spanish highways are often raised up and get a lot of crosswind too.

Ok, so to answer your specific question. Yes, a screen/fairing CAN significantly reduce wind noise, and many do. As a general rule, the bigger the better. But there are no guarantees, I've seen factory fitted screens cause terrible buffeting sometimes.

The other option which hasn't been mentioned, is fitting a whisper kit to your lid. It's basically just some little bits and pieces that seal the helmet better when it's on your head. I had one for my old Shoei helmet and it made a surprisingly big difference. Whether you can get one for your lid I don't know obviously, but it wasn't too expensive so probably worth a look.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or there are those little deflectors that sit atop a smaller screen that get some good reviews.

https://pierce-images.imgix.net/images/4/3/5/3/43534e8e66c3e40b7168f50a6562aa148b47af09_6873H_1.jpg?h=629&auto=format&q=50&fit=crop&w=629

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently spent a bit of time riding a K1300GT with an electric adjustable screen. It was interesting moving it up and down whilst sat at motorway speeds.

The "perfect" height changes for every given speed so all of the below would be different at 90 compared to 70 or 50.

Too high a screen and you get a pocket of low pressure air which seems to suck your whole body towards the screen. Very quiet but not very comfortable, feels like a weight on your arms.

A bit lower and you get buffeted as the "dirty" wind coming off the top of the screen whips over the top of the helmet. Very noisy, very uncomfortable.

A bit lower again and for me this was perfect, a little bit of wind noise and some wind hitting at ~armpit sort of height. Enough to take the pressure off your arms but still mostly sheltered from the wind.

Any lower and you'd get more wind hitting your body, not necessarily much more noise, but less weather protection.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly? Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

this - so fucking this

I like that style but with a bit of string so you don't lose one. Bit like mittens for special ppl Laughing

yeah i have seen em with string - wouldn't work so well for me cos i keep em in a 35mm film pot thingy (remember 'em?), with a bit of olive oil in it (the string would go wet w/ oil)

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
bikerlady20 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly? Reply with quote

bikerlady20 wrote:

Very interesting to know! As I am rather a newby when it comes to bike riding, this is very helpful and I'll definitely get my hands on some earplugs!!

These are what I've bought recently and I can really recommend - in fact I have recommended to two biker friends and both of them have been impressed with the results, too:
https://www.flareaudio.com/collections/earplugs-1/products/isolate-pro-titanium

T1Cybernetic
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:49 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few screens and on bikes over time and non have done a great job for me Sad

At 6'3 I've always got my head over the screen and directly inside the rushing air flow Very Happy
If i tuck down right behind the screen they work great but that position is not going to work for me!

Ear plugs are great for cutting down on noise though Thumbs Up They work all the time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2