Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:07 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly? Reply with quote

bikerlady20 wrote:

Very interesting to know! As I am rather a newby when it comes to bike riding, this is very helpful and I'll definitely get my hands on some earplugs!!

Just a word of warning, for whatever reason, those earplugs don't work for me. Maybe my ears are too small? I shove them in, but the second I pull the helmet over my head it dislodges them and they do jack all. I've switched to disposable foam ones instead. I cut them smaller so that they don't stick out of my ear. This means they don't fall out when I put the helmet on.

T1Cybernetic
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:14 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly? Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I do this too. I use the foam blue earplugs and cut them a little smaller (To size) and usually remove the connecting string because when they're in they don't move around at all and work great.

CorriganJ wrote:
bikerlady20 wrote:

Very interesting to know! As I am rather a newby when it comes to bike riding, this is very helpful and I'll definitely get my hands on some earplugs!!

Just a word of warning, for whatever reason, those earplugs don't work for me. Maybe my ears are too small? I shove them in, but the second I pull the helmet over my head it dislodges them and they do jack all. I've switched to disposable foam ones instead. I cut them smaller so that they don't stick out of my ear. This means they don't fall out when I put the helmet on.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mine.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103904
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often see people at bike meets, motorsport events etc putting in their earplugs and they are nowhere near far enough in. I use expanding foam disposable ones - a fresh pair every time - and I roll them thinly between my finger and thumb then quickly get them deep into my ear and hold until they expand into place - there's a technique to it involving over-the-head arm holding the top of the ear. The difference between one just stuffed in and one put in fully is very noticeable.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely this.

Methods differ but I wear them for work regularly and I was taught to squish and roll them, then to keep a finger over your ear hole which forces it to expand inwards.

When properly in they're a little tricky to remove.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Does a windscreen reduce wind noise significantly? Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:

It's worth trying a load of different ones to get the ones that work best for you. You can get variety packs from ebay/amazon with 10 or so different types in. I recently found some which are a definite improvement on the green maxlite ones I've been wearing for years.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:45 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
I often see people at bike meets, motorsport events etc putting in their earplugs and they are nowhere near far enough in. I use expanding foam disposable ones - a fresh pair every time - and I roll them thinly between my finger and thumb then quickly get them deep into my ear and hold until they expand into place - there's a technique to it involving over-the-head arm holding the top of the ear. The difference between one just stuffed in and one put in fully is very noticeable.

yup, you look ridiculous putting them in. The first few times I rode with them I got really frustrated because I would still get ear ache after rides. Then one day I managed to get a super snug fit and it really was an "ah ha" moment. I rode the rest of that day in near silence and it was a life changed.

Strangely I find it harder to concentrate on riding with them in.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:59 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

to the OP

Are you talking about wind noise only? or are you getting buffeted by the wind too?

If your a big guy your going to struggle on any 125.
Im 6' 4" and 18 stone, 125s are pretty much a waste of time for me specially on a motorway, a head wind and i turn into a massive parachute... obviously what your wearing make s big difference.
Only difference on a big bike is that this still can happen but the bike wont lose speed.

If you are thinking of passing your test, i would just put this down to a problem with your current bike and save your money on screens and tighter fitting clothing.
Truth is, 125s are not designed for motorway speeds, in fact many bigger bikes dont cope well either.
As Martin said, if you are planning on doing lots of motorway riding.. you need a car.

Unless i need to get somewhere super quick, i avoid motorways as they bore me. Get a decent sat nav and use the avoid motorway option, less wind noise, better views and better on your tyres (Motorways square them off)

Regarding ear plugs, i personally dont wear them.
I tried them and it makes me feel vulnerable for some reason, i like to be able to hear whats going on.
Like i said though, i dont do motorway miles and im on a bigger bike thats pretty quiet at them speeds anyway, i just purr along.

You end your post saying you would like to spend 8 hours in the saddle?
Ive rode many bikes and i havent found one that would be enjoyable for 8 constant hours.
On sports bikes i used to pull over every 2 hours or so, just for a few minutes... usually to look at something id seen too.
On big tourers you can double that, but you would still need to take a break for a brew or something.
Plan your long trips with planned stops at something your interested in.

On a bike the enjoyment isnt reaching a destination, its the journey Wink

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:56 - 24 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 'Yes they definitely make a difference' from me.
Bought a windshield after a close friend told me it was the one thing that would make the biggest difference to the daily commute.

He was right, then a few months later I broke one of the shield brackets trying to tighten it just a little more, so had to remove the whole thing till I could repair it. Going back to shieldless was eye opening as to the difference it made. I've now fixed it by making a non plastic brackets.

Did seven hours from Stoke to Dover the other day, and it was a pleasurable experience, I'd also have to agree with other people about earplugs, they are also a must.
You can test the airflow by moving you hand up over you head till you feel where the wind is flowing faster, it is surprising how much difference there is at the transition point.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:03 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
to the OP

Are you talking about wind noise only? or are you getting buffeted by the wind too?

If your a big guy your going to struggle on any 125.
Im 6' 4" and 18 stone, 125s are pretty much a waste of time for me specially on a motorway, a head wind and i turn into a massive parachute... obviously what your wearing make s big difference.
Only difference on a big bike is that this still can happen but the bike wont lose speed.

If you are thinking of passing your test, i would just put this down to a problem with your current bike and save your money on screens and tighter fitting clothing.
Truth is, 125s are not designed for motorway speeds, in fact many bigger bikes dont cope well either.
As Martin said, if you are planning on doing lots of motorway riding.. you need a car.

Unless i need to get somewhere super quick, i avoid motorways as they bore me. Get a decent sat nav and use the avoid motorway option, less wind noise, better views and better on your tyres (Motorways square them off)

Regarding ear plugs, i personally dont wear them.
I tried them and it makes me feel vulnerable for some reason, i like to be able to hear whats going on.
Like i said though, i dont do motorway miles and im on a bigger bike thats pretty quiet at them speeds anyway, i just purr along.

You end your post saying you would like to spend 8 hours in the saddle?
Ive rode many bikes and i havent found one that would be enjoyable for 8 constant hours.
On sports bikes i used to pull over every 2 hours or so, just for a few minutes... usually to look at something id seen too.
On big tourers you can double that, but you would still need to take a break for a brew or something.
Plan your long trips with planned stops at something your interested in.

On a bike the enjoyment isnt reaching a destination, its the journey Wink

I don't know if its wind noise or buffeting. Just at the end of my last big journey, even with ear plugs, I was just exhausted and fed up of the wind and the noise and everything. This was a 550km journey on a 125 with a lot of luggage. It took a long time and the motorway miles were just not fun.

Saying that, yesterday i rode another 330km and it was fine (it wasn't fine, it rained in the mountains and I only own mesh summer gear so i genuinely thought I might get hypothermia at one point. Had to swap all my clothes in the emergency refuge area of a fkn moutain tunnel because the wind chill in my wet clothes was making me shiver constantly. But AFTER that when I got out of the rain storm it was fine). I think the key was to take it slow. I let the bike sit at 90km/h and sat in the slow lane on the highway and let everyone overtake me. I was in less of a rush this time and I found it much less exhausting and miserable. Last time I was pinning it on the red line (still only went about 110km/h but the extra wind buffeting was noticeable. Or, maybe it was just a windier day last time).

I definitely will get a bigger bike. Probably a Triumph Tiger or a Tenere 700. They have nice big windscreens that I hope will solve all of the problems I currently have... I guess I was asking because if I am still miserable doing long distances on a bike with a windscreen... I guess I should just get a car instead of wasting my money on a bike I still hate... I certainly have a love-hate relationship with this stinking 125. I can't wait to get rid of it, but Rona got me trapped in the wrong country so I can't do my test.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:23 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair i only enjoyed my 125 for the urban commute, which was lots of red lights and short bursts to the next set.
the 125 was great for that.

but longer Journeys was fun at first especially in nice weather, but constantly being called the slow coach and being slowed down by a slight gust of wind took the fun out of it.

I swapped it for a 600cc and the fun quickly came back.
You will know if its the same for you, once you ride the bigger bike on your lessons.
If not, you have a choice to make i guess.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2