Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Blowy uppy thing in Beirut

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Blowy uppy thing in Beirut Reply with quote

They're trying to reckon it was a fireworks factory.
Yeah, right.

https://www.rt.com/news/497080-beirut-explosion-lebanon-videos/

Over 70 dead so far

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:34 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to do with aluminium something or other. 2750 tonnes of it apparently lying for years in a warehouse.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Waite's radiator burst, that'll happen if you keep pulling at it for months on end.

edit, I wrote that before I saw the explosion on the news, Jesus!

Last edited by yen_powell on 19:36 - 05 Aug 2020; edited 1 time in total

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:59 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very much like ANFO or some similar industrial explosive. The shock front and expansion rate looks to be relatively slow moving typical of ANFO at 2500-3500 m/s. A faster, higher pressure explosive would have caused a noticeable depression on the water as the shockwave passed over it as well as a very distinctive "backrush" immediately after the explosion as air rushes back into the vacuum caused by a very high velocity explosive.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A search shows it was something to do with, he said cautiously, nearly 3,00 tonnes of ammonium nitrate being stored somewhere.

That is interesting. It is very widely available, and used for quite legitimate purposes, both in mining operations, and growing stuff (agricultural fertiliser), as well as other things.

However, in the one case it does not just go off on its own; various additives and certain procedures are necessary, and in the other case it is very difficult to see how this could happen, on any scale.

The explosion was indeed huge, and unconfined. Here is some footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93tV6-0Ugwk

I suspect some cause, but even if it's only contamination of the material, there has to be another "dimension", which nay not be known right now.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
It looks very much like ANFO or some similar industrial explosive.

An interesting post. Have you, by any chance, also been in the business? I don't expect a detailed answer, of course, but if so, "sphere" would be interesting.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a paper-trail that goes back 7 years to when 2,750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate was put into storage at the port's warehouses.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eel-oRNWoAkPAV7?format=png&name=large

I'm sure some of BCF's chemists will fill us in with how volatile H₄N₂O₃ can be.

https://shiparrested.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/The-Arrest-News-11th-issue.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:17 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
in the business

In the business of ... fireworks?
But there were not enough catherine wheels going off.
So I call foul.
Folded arms

That's my agenda for tomorrow bloody afternoon out the window.
He'll be talking shop all fucking day and night Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:22 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

inb4 Rebel.

Aliens did it after making crop circles but before putting on some flashy light displays.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:27 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
martin734 wrote:
It looks very much like ANFO or some similar industrial explosive.

An interesting post. Have you, by any chance, also been in the business? I don't expect a detailed answer, of course, but if so, "sphere" would be interesting.

I was a combat engineer in the Golani Brigade, IDF. I became very familiar with various types of explosives, both military and industrial. What you posted about Ammonium Nitrate not going off on its own is correct. It is an oxidiser, not a fuel. As it thermally decomposes it releases huge amounts of oxygen and it is used to make things that normally go bang, go BANG! It is not explosive in itself

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:31 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammonium nitrate isn't explosive by itself. It needs a reducing agent mixed through it too, and to be confined (a ships hold would do it).

Heavy fuel oil would do it. Say if the ships fuel tank had leaked into the cargo. Still needs a reasonable detonating explosion to create enough of a pressure wave to set it off.

EDIT: Even when mixed, ammonium nitrate explosive doesn't just go bang, it's pretty stable. The IRA used to mix it up in cement mixers for car bombs.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
Ammonium Nitrate not going off on its own

I wonder. Contamination (and *something*), or a cover for something else, although it's hard to see what, or why. It's "Mr & Mrs Wait and See", I think. Whatever, a horrendous thing.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:39 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Blowy uppy thing in Beirut Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
They're trying to reckon it was a fireworks factory.
Yeah, right.

https://www.rt.com/news/497080-beirut-explosion-lebanon-videos/

Over 70 dead so far

If that is the case and someone has been storing fireworks in the same building as, or next to almost 3000 tons of Ammonium Nitrate then that is mind boggling stupidity of colossal proportions, they basically made a 3000 ton bomb. Storing Ammonium Nitrate and fireworks in close proximity to each other in a busy maritime port that handles the refuelling of ships breaks every single law regarding the safe handling and storage of Hazardous materials. If they wanted to flatten most of a city, there is not much more they could have done that would have been more effective.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:38 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

https://i.imgur.com/a0jJxzK.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:34 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anfo.
Is the weapon of choice for rock blasting all over the world.

Involves drilling several holes of a certain diameter and spacing and depth (for custom broken rock size).
Pumped full of anfo (ammonium nitrate and Diesel fuel emulsion).
A couple of slammer sticks/sausages of high explosive (TNT/Dynamite type stuff) set so far into the emulsion to hammer the anfo.
And the all important detonator and fuse.
Fuse material is interesting chemistry stuff.
A thin plastic tube about 4mm diameter coated with a very fast reacting compound that is ignited by a spark.
The 'flame' then burns along inside the tube to the detonator.
It keeps the blast explosive safe until set off by the person with the ignition box.
I think older style detonators were set off inside the explosive by electric means.
Radio silence maintained during blasting not realy to prevent the radio setting it off prematurely but really to allow uninterrupted communication for blast crew and for any emergency. Free from the chatter of every other phuquer.

A mine I worked on would pump 30 tons of anfo into the blast section to loosen ore and over-burden. That was in three separate pits every day. Blast sections 30' deep x 100' x 100'.
The real skill was to be at a place with a clear view of the event without risk of a Volkswagen size rock landing on you from 200 ft in the air. 😎

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:59 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenuous connection alert....the blast wave reached the southern areas of Cyprus, 100 miles away Shocked

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen 250 tonnes of AN stored in a UK warehouse next to a 33000 litre diesel tank (that leaked), so I wouldn't be at all surprised if in Lebanon storage practices are even worse. You don't actually need FO, you can use sugar among other innocuous sounding things.

Detonation isn't easy, you can't do it with model rocketry dets and repurposed cartridges, you have to make some kind of booster, years ago you could you get the stuff to do that from blinds in small quarries (failed blasts with the explosive still in the bore hole) but I'd bet these days they are better at cleaning up. I've actually always wondered is the reason (UK) domestic camel fuckers seem to prefer TATP due to detonation issues because as a product it's harder to make and way more dangerous to the user.

I've hit enough keywords I may as well say........ Hi GCHQ.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid, we used to steal nitrate-based fertiliser from farms and try to set it off. Most farms had 'blue bag' and 'white bag' laying around in Dutch barns, which looking back on it now was madness!

We used to mix it with sugar, flour, turps, paraffin, diesel or whatever we could find, make a trail for the fuse, light it and stand back. Most of the time nothing happened because the trail would go out before it reached the tin (wrong proportions, chalk in fertiliser etc), but when we got it to work it was spectacular.

A particular favourite was putting it under a propped-up metal bin-lid because it would send it into the air like tossing a coin. Another was putting it in a tin with a 'rookie' for the detonator.

Happy days Rolling Eyes

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
I'm sure some of BCF's chemists will fill us in with how volatile H₄N₂O₃ can be.

I'd have gone for NH₄NO₃ - your formula was technically also correct but tells nothing of the arrangement of elements; the way I have written it separates the ammonium (NH₄) and nitrate (NO₃) so it makes more sense. Just like ethanol (alcohol) is both C₂H₆O and CH₃CH₂OH - the latter telling me how the molecule is laid out.

Anyhoo, as mentioned above, on its own it isn't volatile at all but mixed with a hydrocarbon accelerant it is pretty destructive. Explosions are essentially the rapid formation of lot of gas - ammonium nitrate is a solid but when it unzips it forms a lot of nitrogen and oxygen; this in itself would cause a pressure explosion but the release of lots of oxygen into an environment where there is a combustible fuel (eg diesel, sugar, whatever) leads to a combustion explosion too, where the oxygen combines with the hydrocarbon to make CO₂ and H₂O gases (amongst other things).

This is a very simplistic chemist's view - I have no experience with explosives.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ammonium nitrate isn't explosive by itself. It needs a reducing agent mixed through it too, and to be confined (a ships hold would do it).

Heavy fuel oil would do it. Say if the ships fuel tank had leaked into the cargo. Still needs a reasonable detonating explosion to create enough of a pressure wave to set it off.

EDIT: Even when mixed, ammonium nitrate explosive doesn't just go bang, it's pretty stable. The IRA used to mix it up in cement mixers for car bombs.

This pretty well covers it, it's an oxidising agent normally safe enough but if heated violently it can burn in a chain reaction in milliseconds releasing explosive gases.
A ship loaded with with it was seized and they unloaded it to an unsecure warehouse in 2014 where it has sat ever since with almost no precautions against being somehow ignited.
I would suspect six blazing Lebanon summers made it unstable too it definitely changes if it gets damp and then hot.
So stupid it costs around £250/ton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

One does wonder how long it is before Xi Jinping shows up with a sackful of Chinese money to build a new port, 25 times bigger and that can never actually be repaid by the Lebanese.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
When I was a kid, we used to steal nitrate-based fertiliser from farms and try to set it off. Most farms had 'blue bag' and 'white bag' laying around in Dutch barns, which looking back on it now was madness!

We used to mix it with sugar, flour, turps, paraffin, diesel or whatever we could find, make a trail for the fuse, light it and stand back. Most of the time nothing happened because the trail would go out before it reached the tin (wrong proportions, chalk in fertiliser etc), but when we got it to work it was spectacular.

A particular favourite was putting it under a propped-up metal bin-lid because it would send it into the air like tossing a coin. Another was putting it in a tin with a 'rookie' for the detonator.

Happy days Rolling Eyes

Calor gas cylinder in a bonfire is cool too.

Comes out from the fire in any direction is feels like.
😎

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Calor gas cylinder in a bonfire is cool too.

Aye, as were aerosols if I recall.

I am ashamed to admit that we used to take great pleasure in 'spiking' other people's bonfires so November 5th really went with a bang. We did it so often that every year the hard word would be put out, that anyone found tampering with fires would be reported to the police. It was really stupid of us, but every year we'd get something big enough in there to blow out a whole side of at least one...

Again, how we survived to adulthood escapes me... Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Tenuous connection alert....the blast wave reached the southern areas of Cyprus, 100 miles away Shocked

Nah, you're pulling my leg!

[watches footage]

Oh... Shocked

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how it was immediately reported as an ammonium nitrate explosion*. Unless the warehouse was only stocked with that one material (in which case what could have set it off?) everyone just went, "Oh yeah, that'll be that huge stockpile of ammonium nitrate that's sat there for years." If it was common knowledge you'd hope someone would have said, "Let's dispose of it (safely!)"

*Despite everyone else receiving such reports, the POTUS posted a reactionary tweet saying it was an attack. Make the situation even worse, whydoncha?
Doh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2