Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brat Bikes - The marmite of the biking world?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stablepeach
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:35 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Brat Bikes - The marmite of the biking world? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm pretty new here and having done some reading was a bit surprised at the disdain with which the brat bikes/scramblers are viewed with...

From what I can tell there seem to be a few reasons for this...
1) People don't like the look - this also seems to spread to the people who typical are seen to ride them?
2) The modifications that are done are purely aesthetic and can put the structural integrity of the bike at risk.
3) The bikes are not very resaleable as they've had bits chopped off which mean they can never be put back to 'standard'.

All these points make sense and are great guidance... I personally like the look so wanted to understand whether there was anything else I've missed?

My thoughts are that once I've got something that serves as a solid foundation there are things that can be done to get close to the look without having to lop off bits or make the bike unsafe... but again wanted to understand if I've missed something.

I'm a long way away from doing anything beyond just trying to rebuild my garage of parts into a bike shape but was keen to get underneath this so that I understood why people disliked them so...

Thanks!.
Matt

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some reason people using the term "brat bike", makes me want to punch them, with a scaffolding bar.

A decent scrambler/street scrambler type build even when aesthetic only can (imo) look really good. However 99.9% of them are dangerous, shit looking things made my morons in their shed who appear to be using the "My first Angle Grinder" play-set, coupled with buying all their crap (sorry, "unique custom parts"), from eBay, without looking and on recommendation from Stevie Wonder.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:15 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to take the risk that I'm going to sound gatekeepery here, but I think it's sort of justified.

Nobody who was into bikes pre this latest fad is into 'Brat' bikes. The only people who are who think that checked shirts, man buns and beard oil is cool.

A brat bike is an accessory in the same way a portable vinyl player is for some. At first it was an amusing diversion to watch these non motorcyclist motorcyclists mess about with crap old Japanese tat that nobody wanted. Then it got serious. Taking fairly rare Japanese and European bikes and ruining them, and then trying to charge ten times the market rate for them.

Nowadays it's impossible to get an MOT'd bike for much less than £1500, and as for Japanese UJMs, the prices have gone through the roof. Why? Because the world and their wife want to grind them to bits and turn them into 'Brat' bikes. Even the idea of the Cafe racer has been usurped, as well as the scrambler. The thing is though, PCP is now a thing, and many of the mainstream manufacturers will happily sell you a brown seated retro which will have a warranty. And it doesn't involve the carving up of dwindling numbers of perhaps formerly unloved but now rare Japanese classics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Some reason people using the term "brat bike", makes me want to punch them, with a scaffolding bar.

^ Thumbs Up

Please may I borrow it after you have finished with it?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Nobody who was into bikes pre this latest fad is into 'Brat' bikes. The only people who are who think that checked shirts, man buns and beard oil is cool.

Oi. If you want to borrow wr6133's scaffold bar, the queue's behind me.

stablepeach
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:47 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps I've never been able to grow a beard. I do however own a checked shirt... and my hair is longer than normal thanks to Covid.

Your points all make sense and I don't remember seeing any of this around when I was riding previously. I was also quite surprised at the going rate compared to when I bought my last one back in 2004.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

A decent scrambler/street scrambler type build even when aesthetic only can (imo) look really good. However 99.9% of them are dangerous, shit looking things made my morons in their shed who appear to be using the "My first Angle Grinder" play-set, coupled with buying all their crap (sorry, "unique custom parts"), from eBay, without looking and on recommendation from Stevie Wonder.

This^ a thousand times this^.
I’ve seen so many good bikes fugged up by people making them into ‘street scrambler/bobbers’

Modifications that improve the bike , yes Thumbs Up
For example: better brakes, new suspension, fresh paint job.= yes please.
Cutting the rear of the frame and adding a bicycle saddle and stupid death skull indicators = yuk! No! ...... just scrap it!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That scaffolding bar is going to get some serious use.

The bear has joined the queue. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it to a Superdream. Do anything you want to a Superdream, up to and including setting it on fire. But please leave nice bikes alone. They're getting too rare to be ruining like this. In fact, that would be my main point. If there are millions of a certain model, I'm not bothered. But when we start to get down to models that were deemed as good bikes and that there aren't that many left, and commanding strong prices when they do crop up for sale, it's unforgivable.

Or do it to Chinese bikes. They're ruined from the factory anyway Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

People either love or hate Marmite.

I don't think anyone loves "brat" bikes. It's more like a fashion fad. Like clothes, it's a big industry - parts and once-plentiful old bikes sell like hotcakes on Ebay, and mainstream parts sellers have also been in on the action for a few years. The reasons why someone would want to own one are complex, but they come down to attention being a coveted resource in short supply in an overpopulated world where everyone is on social media. Rudderless ships, and all that. You won't find these things being ridden much. People use them like anything else - in an attempt to establish a credible identity. It's not even just a youth thing nowadays. People do it well into old age.

If, on the other hand, you like riding bikes, it isn't the path for you. Just look around and count all the "brat" bikes on the road.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a fashion brought about by the sort of people who buy their jeans pre-ripped - wankers.

I'm presuming the CG125 is targeted for the heresy treatment because aforementioned wankers haven't the gumption to pass a test.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:09 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... having not come across this form of buggery before..

Street-fighter bikes are ones which have been crashed from the front, and brat bikes are ones which have been crashed from the back...... unless you spend a lot of money, in which case brat bikes have been crashed from the back AND the front.. ?

K.. Got it.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above - for a riding machine as much use as tits on a fish. They are purely an expression of fashion / image.

As i've said before, i'd be quite happy for us to have tough laws like the German TUV, that would stop the cunts in their tracks....

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dislike of them is that it's always done purely for the aesthetics and so the owner can go larping as hipster. Just look at the advertising photo's for the Ducati scrambler, it's always some guy wearing an open face helmet in jeans and lightweight boots. I suppose that isnt anything new and is probably the same for most types of bikes, just look at all the sons of anarchy wannabees riding cruisers.

I got pretty annoyed the other day when I had a look on ebay for a 125 for the girlfriend and most of the Honda CG's where either turned into some kind of brat cafe racer thing or sold as potential cafe racer projects. These are decent bikes that learners should be able to pick up fairly cheap, but instead they are being ruined and then sold on for £1000+. I'm sure it's the same situation for a lot of older bikes that could make decent cheap starter bikes for people.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:41 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first "Brat" bike I saw was on the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" films. Pretty cool bike, novel styling, something different.

Built as a custom build so a well executed working bike as well as a neat neo-ratbike look. Based on a K-series CB350 which was a pretty poky bike in its day. I'd have one.

My main issues with them is that people who have no idea what they are doing dive right in there and try to build a custom bike. I just built a custom bike after over 20 years of maintaining my own bikes and it was a real challenge.

So people cut bits off the frame they needed (without reference to the legal implications), they fit pod air filters for cosmetic reasons with absolutely no idea how to set the bike up to run with them, they throw away utterly necessary parts, they try to scratch-build a wiring loom.

Then they come on forums to ask for help to deal with the bike they've ruined. Then the bike lands up on ebay.

Let's look at the original "Brat" bike.

https://cdn-2.returnofthecaferacers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Girl-with-Dragon-Tattoo-motorcycle-1.jpg

Look, mudguards. Both ends. These stop the front wheel spraying water in your face and the rear one spraying gravel into the carbs. An interesting, classic engine with well documented options for tuning it to run with pod filters and a loud exhaust.

First thing the builder of this bike did was thoroughly overhaul the motor, suspension and transmission. You can hear how well it goes in the films.

Forks attached to the yoke in the usual position, not dropped through and not a gaiter in sight. Oh look, shrouds, classy.

Twin leading drum brake, interesting mechanics.

Very limited use of exhaust wrap, only where you'd burn your leg if it wasn't there.

Seat, remarkably, is not brown.

Silencers and a mainstand. Even has a chainguard and battery box.

Clip-ons are there but not thumb-trappers. I would like to see rearsets on this bike.

The front tyre is silly.

Back part of the subframe has been chopped but then braced. As has the rear mudguard.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

First thing I thought was why the front knobbly Laughing
And if I have to see one more of those cheap, nasty seat units, I'll...I'll... Crying or Very sad
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:48 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://steemit.com/history/@deus/who-is-go-takamine-and-what-does-brat-style-mean

It's all copied from a Japanese man who has a shop called 'BratStyle'.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me next with that scaff bar!

No mudguards tells you its for a wanker
who will rarely ride it and if then not far
and never, ever, EVER! in or after rain

Most are garden ornaments for poseurs
and the money these twats expect for their polished turds
is a shocker.

Oh and knobbly tyres for a road bike FFS

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:32 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a returnee to biking after an eight year lay off I'd never heard the term "Brat bike" till I saw this thread. So being a curious type I typed it into ebay, and got this -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-Four-Street-Scrambler-Warranty-and-Finance-Available/264793080309?hash=item3da6e5c1f5:g:vvAAAOSwXfhfCh~M

Can I join the list for the iron bar, and do you mind it I heat it to cherry red and wrap barbed wire round it?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin joe wrote:
Being a returnee to biking after an eight year lay off I'd never heard the term "Brat bike" till I saw this thread. So being a curious type I typed it into ebay, and got this -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-Four-Street-Scrambler-Warranty-and-Finance-Available/264793080309?hash=item3da6e5c1f5:g:vvAAAOSwXfhfCh~M

Can I join the list for the iron bar, and do you mind it I heat it to cherry red and wrap barbed wire round it?

You git. I've just stuck a CB750 Four into eBay to see how much they usually go for, because £12k for that one seems just a little top heavy, and spotted this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-cafe-racer-tracker-custom-one-off/264792485968?hash=item3da6dcb050:g:O2cAAOSwmjRfAC~V

Your fault; yours.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:45 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to sell my CG125 later this year as i don't tend to use it very much, but i am buggered if i am going to sell it on now, it is all original barring new tyres and tubes, i would hate for it to be destroyed by some cnut who hasn't got a clue about shit, so i am going to make more of an effort to use it more even if just once a week, no fekker is getting their hands on it Thumbs Up

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin joe wrote:

That's sickening Sick

It's amusing when it's a Pooperdream or a CG125, a CB750K not so much. The person who instigated that should be burned alive on prime time TV.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:05 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin joe wrote:

That is criminal. I bet that's probably a rare sandcast or something as well.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
I was going to sell my CG125 later this year as i don't tend to use it very much, but i am buggered if i am going to sell it on now, it is all original barring new tyres and tubes, i would hate for it to be destroyed by some cnut who hasn't got a clue about shit, so i am going to make more of an effort to use it more even if just once a week, no fekker is getting their hands on it Thumbs Up

Give it another 10 years and it'll be worth a fortune in standard condition anyway Very Happy

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

You git. I've just stuck a CB750 Four into eBay to see how much they usually go for, because £12k for that one seems just a little top heavy, and spotted this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-cafe-racer-tracker-custom-one-off/264792485968?hash=item3da6dcb050:g:O2cAAOSwmjRfAC~V

Jesus. Clearly someone has put in a lot of genuine time, effort and cash into that bike. They've managed to take a classic bike and ruin it, turned it into something that looks a bit like a modern retro, and ended up with something that isn't as good as either.

Sometimes all you can do is admire the commitment to really screwing something up. Some people get half way through ruining a classic bike and stop, whether through realising they have no idea what they're doing, or that what they're doing is a terrible idea. Not this guy, he's gone all in. So.... props to that guy I suppose.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2