Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A Duffer's Guide to Getting A Licence + Newbie Biker Links

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

StickyNick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 14 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my CBT on a 50 in December, and I wanna take my A2 this November when I'm 17. Do I have to do the CBT again on a 125 1st or can I just do the A2?

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you are within the dates of your CBT then you will not have to retake it.

On your 17th birthday you will be entitled to ride a 125 on the CBT you have already taken.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

StickyNick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't do A2 then that saves me money Very Happy
Cheers Thumbs Up

adama
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:18 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post guys, very informative!. Im going for my DAS sometime..ive just bought a 125 so i wont be doing my DAS for like 12 months no doubt, no point doing it before that and still having to pay off my 125 =]. Might as well keep that till i can get a gixxer 6 in a couple of years lol. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steve32
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:02 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea this is a very helpful thread
i sit my CBT a week today (may 24th)
so how long after that will i have to wait to take the direct access test and get to ride my gsx600 legally Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you?

If you are over 21 (currently) then as long as it takes you to pass the theory test and get an appointment for the test.

edit: sorry just seen your sig. So yeah there is no legal obstruction to you rolling straight from your CBT to the DAS.

Have to say, it's an appauling choice of first ride. What gear have you got?

BMF at the East of England showground is running tomorrow - worth attending for quality, cheap gear.

Biker101
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:12 - 18 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you dont need a CBT to do your theory so get it booked in now to speed up the process!

steve32
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:33 - 18 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
How old are you?

If you are over 21 (currently) then as long as it takes you to pass the theory test and get an appointment for the test.

edit: sorry just seen your sig. So yeah there is no legal obstruction to you rolling straight from your CBT to the DAS.

Have to say, it's an appauling choice of first ride. What gear have you got?
BMF at the East of England showground is running tomorrow - worth attending for quality, cheap gear.

i got nearly all of my gear off ebay at good prices (all brand new) i think the only thing i need now is a pair of warm trousers

Sam.NRG.08
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:22 - 16 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 16, 17 next month, iv passed my CBT, so as soon as i turn 17 can i ride a 125cc???? without any tests????

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 16 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, limited to 14.5bhp though Thumbs Up

c_dug

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 16 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes you can. At least until your CBT runs out.

If you don't have a full licence before then you will need to retake your CBT to continue riding.

Sam.NRG.08
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:23 - 16 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers lads (Y)

i cant find the bhp of the bike i like lol

top speed is 62mph and 8.3/9300rpm, would that be under 14.6bhp???

would you recommend just getting a 125cc when im 17 and riding it with L plates or taking the A test and ride it without????

cheers

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 16 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a bike forum i think you'll find the majority of people will recommend you take the A2 test Thumbs Up

it does depend on quite a few things though, for a start do you plan to ride bikes in the future or is it just a temporary thing before you can drive?

also what bike is it your after? im guessing at 62mph top speed it will be within the 14.5bhp limit Thumbs Up

c_dug

Sam.NRG.08
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:16 - 17 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeahh i want to ride all the time,

see if i get this right, if i took the A test and bought a 125cc, ride it for 2 years, then would i be able to ride whatever bike i want???

cheers.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 17 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm. As an under 21 year old you can take the class A1 or class A2 licence

Passing the A1 will give you the ability to ride a 125 - but only ever a 125

Passing the A2 will give you the entitlement to ride a sub33bhp bike for a 2 year period, after which you will have an unrestricted entitlement allowing you to ride any size bike you like.

TCGS
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:30 - 29 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just add as I have just learnt this myself, even though apparently it says on the back of the CBT certificate, but I lost mine Sad

If you hold a full car licence and you pass your CBT within two years (either before or after passing your test) then you do not need to do your CBT ever again for a 50cc moped, and only 50cc (or under).

This is because if you have this combination, you have a full moped licence, until your car licence expires.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 29 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - you are broadly speaking correct.

However if you passed your catagory B before Feb 1st 2001 then you already have full catagory P with no need to take the CBT

If you passed your driving test after this date then you need to take the CBT course to validate your catagory P entitlement

To count as validation you need a valid CBT certificate and a valid full catagory B licence at the same time.

Once catagory P is validated it remains as long as you have a licence.

reeya1981
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:51 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted in a different thread but dont know if its getting read or not...so.....HI ALL NEW TO THE FORUM BUSINESS...been trawling through forum for ages and finally got round to registering.

passed the test there the 125 and over. went out and bought a cbr rossi replica 2002 model. nice well chuffed. now comes the red tape bit...must i restrict this beastie for the two years?? or can i get a certificate and ride her sensibley. im worried if its restricted to 33 bhp itl be a crap ride and just stupid to do. what mph could i expect in 1st , 2nd , 3rd , 4 th gears?? im not up in my ratios...not worried in slightest about top end speed. any thoughts much appreciated....or advice

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 21 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you mean you passed the A2 test and then you wil be restricted to 33bhp

If the 'rossi rep' CBR is a CBR600F then it makes more than 33bhp and legally it will need restricting back. While it is rare to get pulled up on it if the Police do check the bikes bhp then it will be considered riding without a licence, and you stand a good chance of losing the licence you have.

As for MPH in each gear - thats an irrelevent question. If the engine is straining change up, if it is labouring the change down.

And yes, it will probably suck because its a restricted inline 4 sportsbike.

pissed This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

priestessuk20...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:02 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Well done Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mord
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:31 - 04 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
I thought it would be good to link to this too:

33bhp 2007 GSXR600

So 33bhp GSXR600 wouldn't give me more fun than 33bhp RS125 then Wink They didn't say exactly what acceleration of that heavy 33bhp 600 is.

Malarki
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 03 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just joined the forum.
A great sticky that is really helpful.
I just wish the government would stop trying to make it as hard and as complicated as possible for new and young riders to start biking. Brick Wall

Wise1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 10 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

pissed wrote:
Just don't do your tests through Lightning motorcycle training.

They are more interested in taking your money than customer service and satisfaction.

Is it not about time you let that go! You were told to get down there and sort it instead of sending letters and hiding at home.

Malarki
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 29 Jun 2009    Post subject: Re: A Duffer's Guide to Getting A Licence + Newbie Biker Lin Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

Arrow L plates
Get yourself a little cheap bike, whack the L plates on it and spend some time getting used to riding. Book a few lessons with an instructor to brush up on the fine points of the test if you like, or just teach yourself.

And what would i need to teach myself?

Been riding my DT on the road for a few months and will soon be taking my test. Im not sure if the guy who i did my CBT with will do individual lessons or weather i would need to book a full course at £400+ Shocked Which seems a tad pointless.

So what is on the test that i could do with practicing on Question
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8