Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A Duffer's Guide to Getting A Licence + Newbie Biker Links

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:04 - 29 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt you'd need a full course.

Teach yourself emergency stop, U turns, and generally riding making sure to follow the correct procedures for life safers and everything else like that.

Get yourself a copy of one of the books that explain everything that is in the test. DSA do one and I'm sure there are others.

Riskit4abizki...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:31 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good!!

I found that really helpfull i've just joined these forums and i've been looking everywhere for the information on bike tests for when you are 17 and what the restrictions are!!

And that Suzuki GSX R 600 looks sweet! I want it! Can you get them reasonably cheap? good first bike?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sachstasy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:57 - 11 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm 22 and I've never been on the road.. bike or car.

What would I need to do? I'd ideally like to get something around the 500 - 600cc mark.. I've ridden up to a 600 off road.. and have had many bikes before.

I'm really into off roading, supermotard etc.. Which would be the best bikes to look for?

Cheers in advance Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 12 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on google for your local bike training school, you are over 21 so you can do your DAS and avoid the restriction period.

Bikes wise I would look at something like a DRZ400SM or XT660, less highly strung than some of the other supermoto's out there, but they will still be a laugh without a doubt Thumbs Up

c_dug

johnnyfaro
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey
Does this sticky need updating with the new tests?

I keep getting asked by people what they have to do and honestly I dont know anymore.

I know the new tests were being delayed but what do they involve?

Thanks

satelliteone
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:06 - 21 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just recently got back on a bike after 8 years, being a car, 7.5T and PSV driver, thought i`d use the bike to get to and fro work.

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c357/satelliteone/DTR125_1990/800-600.jpg

Not got a full bike licence, and regards to CBT, i dont need to do it either. so NOT every one needs to do CBT as stated in some leaflets and advice from money grabbing insructors, even some coppers have no idea either!

Refer to page 15
ins57p

www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/ins57p.pdf

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)
Provisional licence for motorcycles
All learner riders must complete a CBT course before riding a moped or motorcycle on the road.
You do not need to complete CBT if:
• you have already got full moped entitlement as a result of passing a moped test on or after 1 December 1990; or
• you have already got a full licence for one class of motorcycle entitlement and want to upgrade to another. (For example, if you are entitled to ride light motorcycles, (category A1), you do not need to repeat CBT to get a provisional category A entitlement).
However, you will need to take a further training course on the larger machine if your full licence limits you to riding modified motorcycles and you want to ride motorcycles that haven’t been modified.

I am thinking to do my test next year, on the DTR and then when i get a pass, uprating the engine to 170cc and a bigger carb.

Thought i`d post the correct advice on CBT, buts if its is your first time on a public road on a bike, then get some training.

Ghostbikes
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 30 Sep 2009    Post subject: Nice advice Reply with quote

Great post - I had no idea what to make of all the jargon getting throw around but you guys have done an amazing job explaining it.

I'm a complete novice, 22, but eager to learn. Now if only someone could explain to me the best way to pick through all the bikes and helmets and places to ride, insurance deals, clothing ranges etc I'd be set. Oh yeah and if they could give me about £7k as well!
Visit [URL="https://www.ghostbikes.com/"]GhostBikes.com[/URL] today for [URL="https://www.ghostbikes.com/categorylist/Helmets/"]Motorcycle Helmets[/URL] and [URL="https://www.ghostbikes.com/categorylist/Accessories/"]Motorcycle Accessories[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Esab
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:43 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Nice advice Reply with quote

Double Post

Last edited by Esab on 15:45 - 01 Oct 2009; edited 1 time in total

Esab
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:44 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Nice advice Reply with quote

Ghostbikes wrote:
Great post - I had no idea what to make of all the jargon getting throw around but you guys have done an amazing job explaining it.

I'm a complete novice, 22, but eager to learn. Now if only someone could explain to me the best way to pick through all the bikes and helmets and places to ride, insurance deals, clothing ranges etc I'd be set. Oh yeah and if they could give me about £7k as well!

Everyone starts somewhere. Very Happy

There is a massive choice of bikes and kit out there and it all comes down to what YOU want or like. What kind of style would suit you?...laid back chopper style....sporty...or do you fancy doing some green laneing maybe?
I had a motocross background so always steered towards that type of bike but went out and bought a sportsbike!
Do you have any friends that ride or have ridden? Often they can point you in the right direction when it comes to insurance as they have had to sort it already.

As for what kit,,,,well there is a massive market out there and the choice is superb. Often some good deals to be had online as well.

All down to personal preference really... I tend to go for the LOOK at me approach! Several reasons...I love my bike...I love riding it and also want people to be able to see me for safety reasons. Its also a fun thing for me rather than a necessity and think that the fun side of it is important.

Best thing I have ever done to be honest with you and cant recommend it enough.

And also...ask on here any question you have...always someone able to answer!

Regards

Andy

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/Oerlikon/Bike%20Stuff/IMG_4627.jpg

Ghostbikes
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Cheers Reply with quote

I like how you have different styles. I have no idea which one suits me - my friends Clive and Graham might be able to advise! Maybe I could go to an event for inspiration? I don't know. It's weird when you're female because everyone thinks you're mad when you're into bikes. Or at least starting to be...

I like the whole bright colour thing though - I'm a big fan of red and having a bike with bright colours would also stop me losing it in a carpark somewhere!

Nice one anyways - thanks for the tips, I'll definitely follow them up!
Visit [URL="https://www.ghostbikes.com/"]GhostBikes.com[/URL] today for [URL="https://www.ghostbikes.com/categorylist/Helmets/"]Motorcycle Helmets[/URL] and [URL="https://www.ghostbikes.com/categorylist/Accessories/"]Motorcycle Accessories[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rashid
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:38 - 06 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, here in Pakistan we dont have to get a separate bike license. If you get a driving license it permits you to ride bikes aswell Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Because 80% people (minus females) who drive can ride as well here. Twisted Evil

ronin13
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:42 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 22 with full car licence, had CBT for 3 years, started on 50cc moped, upgraded last year to ybr125( i ride everyday) and now I'm thinking about doing DAS, is it achievable to do the DAS without taking the ?500 course(never ridden bike bigger than 125?

obrigado
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:07 - 31 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Should prove useful.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 05 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dft.gov.uk/think_media/241027/241127/2010mc-routestomotorcycling.pdf

Up to date Bumph.

93tone
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

People saying that it is most likely to drop a bike after a few months after the test is kind of scary down: . I cherish my bike (as im sure we all do) so I wont be looking forward to that day. Neutral

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 19 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

satelliteone wrote:
I have just recently got back on a bike after 8 years, being a car, 7.5T and PSV driver, thought i`d use the bike to get to and fro work.

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c357/satelliteone/DTR125_1990/800-600.jpg

Not got a full bike licence, and regards to CBT, i dont need to do it either. so NOT every one needs to do CBT as stated in some leaflets and advice from money grabbing insructors, even some coppers have no idea either!

Refer to page 15
ins57p

www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/ins57p.pdf

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)
Provisional licence for motorcycles
All learner riders must complete a CBT course before riding a moped or motorcycle on the road.
You do not need to complete CBT if:
• you have already got full moped entitlement as a result of passing a moped test on or after 1 December 1990; or
• you have already got a full licence for one class of motorcycle entitlement and want to upgrade to another. (For example, if you are entitled to ride light motorcycles, (category A1), you do not need to repeat CBT to get a provisional category A entitlement).
However, you will need to take a further training course on the larger machine if your full licence limits you to riding modified motorcycles and you want to ride motorcycles that haven’t been modified.

I am thinking to do my test next year, on the DTR and then when i get a pass, uprating the engine to 170cc and a bigger carb.

Thought i`d post the correct advice on CBT, buts if its is your first time on a public road on a bike, then get some training.

That DTR had better be only 50cc or you are riding illegally (and given it says DTR125 in your picture album I'm betting it doesnt qualify as a moped)

Direct Gov Linky thing wrote:
If you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001 you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

ian789
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:41 - 19 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyones looking for any info on getting into biking, RIDE magazine have a pull out!

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 19 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:

That DTR had better be only 50cc or you are riding illegally (and given it says DTR125 in your picture album I'm betting it doesnt qualify as a moped)

Direct Gov Linky thing wrote:
If you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001 you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped.

I very much believe that DT is a 125, therefore unless satelliteone has done a CBT or passed the bike test since last posting, they are riding rather illegally!! Shocked

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 19 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian789 wrote:
If anyones looking for any info on getting into biking, RIDE magazine have a pull out!

Or you could read all the info on here, for free...

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:39 - 01 Jul 2010    Post subject: Re: A Duffer's Guide to Getting A Licence + Newbie Biker Lin Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
FIRST BIKE

We've said it before and we'll say it again... it's really best not to spend too much money on your first bike. There's a fair chance you're going to drop it and there's also an element of not knowing what you want (how can you, you've never ridden anything before?).

You can pick up a boring and unattractive 125 with tax and mot for about £500 if you're smart and look in the ads. Use it for a few months, look after it and you can probably sell it without making a loss. It really is the smart thing to do - you're in this for the long term so don't blow all your cash at the first stage. Money saved on the learner bike can be put towards passing your test and think how much cooler you'll look without L plates. Thumbs Up

This is a bit oif advice I dont agree with, to the point I actually critasise it!

FAR too many poeple think that JUST becouse they are starting out, aren't going to keep the bike, and will probably fall off it, or do damage, its not worth spending much money on.

a lot of them fall off and hurt themselves BECOUSE they are riding a crappy cheap bike, dont 'present' well at the test centre, and take longer to get OFF that 'cheap' not to be kept bike, and have a harder time than they need in consequence.

Rediculousely, the WORST place for a newbie to start is with a learner bike. They are small under-powered and not very forgiving to ride, and built down to a price and a quality.

Add a succession of new riders following the buy cheap dont spend money advice, they get thrashed crashed and trashed by ignorant riders who dont know how to ride them very well, doint know how to look after them very well and wont pay much if any money to fix or fettle them to keep them in the best condition they can.

When you are starting out YOU as a rider are going to be wobbly enough, last thing you need is a bike beneath you doing wobbling of its own!

Riding such a bike wont flatter your riding, wont inspire confidence and wont teach you very well whetyher what you are doing is good or not.

Was that little 'moment' becouse the tyres are old and hard and a bit squared off, or was it becouse you took the corner wrong, leaning the wrong way, too fast or whatever......

If you WANT a good start, you want as GOOD a first bike as you can afford, one that works like it should, inspires confidence and doesn't leave you wondering whether that crash you just had was becouse the brakes were clapped out, or you were riding like a prat!

And IF you intend taking your test on the bike, its like going for a job interview. Turn up on an old tatter of a bike, it says you are NOT very contientiouse, and probably rather more than a little devil may care, examniner will be assessing YOU and how you are likely to ride BEFORE you get near starting the engine.

Tidy bike, the right gear, a polite attitude, and clear enunciation of answeres to questions, and give him that 'warm' feeling as well as making his job easier and you stand a MUCH better chance of passing.

If you DONT have or want to spend a fortune on your first bike, dont, but pick old and boring, but 'good' over newer & exiting.

Eg, with few hundsred quid in your pocet, dont go looking for NSR125's or DT125's, or a the like, go looking for tidier CG or something a little more humble.

Not only do you stand a better chance of getting a less abused and more 'presentable' machine, costs of getting it up to scratch and keeping it there are less too.

Cheap Bikes often prove false ecconomy, when circumstances demand they HAVE to have money chucked at them, worse, if they get crashed and have to be written off..... and HOPEFULLY dont write YOU off in the process.

Think on this, as a 'Learner', you DONT have all the answers, or experience, and its NOT such a bright idea to try and be 'Cleaver'... When you have passed your test, and can go look at a whole range of bikes, THEN you can afford to hunt out a bargain, and stand more chance of finding one!

Starting out, get ahead of the game by not trying to find the short-cuts, just play it straight and make life easier for yourself.... you have more than enough to worry about, without making it hard for yourself, when your 'cheap' bike gives you grief!

Just a counter-point to the suggested wisdom, or the original post.

It doesn't HAVE to be expensive to get into biking, but its how and where you make the eccomomies and prioratise the spend you have. there are 'Cheap' bikes and there are 'Cheap' bikes..... Cheap and Nasty, and Value for Money.... thats one of the lessons a learener needs to learn, and hopefully get VFM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:12 - 11 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

May want to put this info up in the main body of the first post.

What if I have 6 points already on my provisional licence?

Don't panic. You will not lose your licence upon granting of it. However points will be transferred and then the following applies.

From https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/NewlyQualifiedDrivers/DG_4022566

DirectGov wrote:

Any penalty points you gain before passing your first driving test are taken into account. However, having six or more doesn’t mean your licence will be revoked straight after you pass your test.

Gaining further points after passing your test, taking your total to six or more, will mean your licence will be revoked.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 18 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing, I am not sure if it has been added, but I did my CBT today, passed it, but to any of the kids looking for a twist and go, the two boys today failed, and it didn't surprise me.

So some advice for any 16 year olds looking to do their twist and go CBT.

First off read the highway code, it's for your benefit so you don't look like a lemon sat there, when you are asked what sign is this, and what is it telling you, or informing you off.

Take it seriously, don't sit there on the test pad holding the front brake reving your scooter, it is not your bike, and you are causing a distraction to the instructors and to the other riders, it is hard enough to hear anyway with a helmet on, don't add a two stroke into the mix aswell, no need to be reving it

Learn basic road discipline you have been in a car before, watch how a roundabout is taken, ask your parents or the driver you are out with while in a car to understand the discipline of the road, and roundabouts what lane etc.

Protective equipment, I know it has been covered, and so many arguements etc about what to wear or not to wear, it's up to you what you want to wear, but take it a bit more seriously than a T-shirt and a crappy motorcross lid which is battered to shit, I know it is your choice, but you are setting an impression to the instructor, if you can't take a helmet seriously, what are you going to take seriously, I may have looked stupid in a full race suit with a back protector and carbon fibre lid, yes a bit OTT for a 125 CBT, but I wish to wear it and it set a fairly good impression with the instructors.

Don't get pissed off if you don't pass, there is a reason, take it on the chin, use the extra training it will only help you.

carlosthejack...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:01 - 24 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:

Take it seriously, don't sit there on the test pad holding the front brake reving your scooter, it is not your bike, and you are causing a distraction to the instructors and to the other riders, it is hard enough to hear anyway with a helmet on, don't add a two stroke into the mix aswell, no need to be reving it

I have a very low tolerance to idiocy, so if this occurs on my CBT this morning, I shall be pulling said chavscum gently towards me by the throat and offering them some very gentle advice and guidance. A "career talk" let's say...

Fingers crossed it's just me and the instructor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carlosthejack...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:04 - 24 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'll be having one of these ta very much...

Cbrown
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:26 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just been looking up things on google and was brought here.

I'm 24, 25 on the 21st of this month, have put off driving a car for years due to everyone around me constantly moaning of the price of many things, more obvious being insurance and petrol costs.
I've done well, got by, constantly worked in consutruction/demolition and new build.

The site I'm on is coming to an end and will be moving soon, I can get to places on train like Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn, but even further if I had transport... I'm looking to do my car driving test after my 25th as I have the money, but doubt I'll still look to get a car even if I pass.. I was talking to a guy at work the other day who said his lad had got a 125, to razz around on and get to work, go out with his mates and that... he said it was fair cheaper obviously in many ways, so I've been looking into it and find myself here.

So heres my question: what would I have to do to be able to ride without the L plates on a 125? I'm not sure how far I want to go in terms of bikes, my dad had a serious serious accident after riding for years and years due to a careless car driver, cracked skull broken back and both legs.. so I've not thought that far ahead, but for now would like a 125, and preferabley not always have the L plates, so after the required amount of time, what would I have to do to be able to ride without the L plates on a 125? as all I really need is a means of getting to work and a way of independent transport. If what I've read is right it would have to be the " A1 " test? which OP said was pointless? (I imagine because most of you want to go onto bigger and better bikes, not always go round on a petty learner 125 lol)
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8