Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A Duffer's Guide to Getting A Licence + Newbie Biker Links

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mcfcbiker
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:12 - 16 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

what changes are these you heard about ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:53 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: A Duffer's Guide to Getting A Licence + Newbie Biker Lin Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Rediculousely, the WORST place for a newbie to start is with a learner bike. They are small under-powered and not very forgiving to ride, and built down to a price and a quality.

You seem to have changed your tune.
This is a reply you have given recently:
Quote:
'Ideal' is regulation learner commuter. Its built for the job. Not fancy but easy to ride. Everything else somewhere is compromised for style and or performance.

Generally I'd say the average 125 commuter is forgiving to ride and being under-powered isn't a big issue for learning to ride.

Bikes like the CG125 were designed to work with poor maitenance and rough conditions - it was designed for third world countries and knowledge.

Buying a cheap bike should be separate to buying a poor condition bike. I have seen a lot of expensive but poor condition bikes in dealers, for instance.

Choosing a commuter style bike over, say, a new sports style one likely will inspire confidence and 'flatter' riding.

I've seen plenty of people end up crashing new expensive bikes because they were too worried about crashing and so ended up freezing up, etc.

I would agree it's worth making sure your bike looks reasonable for the test.
Sadly often bikes like CG125s attract a premium because they're known as cheap bikes. May be able to get a better condition NSR for similar money, for instance.

Expensive bikes, as mentioned before, may need money chucked at them.
The trick is to buy a good bike regardless of the money you're spending. As said before, I've found how good a state a bike in tends to not be related to how much you pay; well, until you get to right at the bottom, or right at the top. Though I've still seen almost-new bikes in a shocking condition on sale for a lot of money.

bLiXeY
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:04 - 06 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread for us newbs, learned loads already.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:51 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
So assuming i had a CBT and had passed my theory test (bike), had a suitable bike to take the direct acess on, and i'd got insurance on said bike.

Would i then be able to ride that, on L plates provided i was with someone who had a full bike licence to get a feel for the bike?
(much like when i was on a provisional, but used my own car without the instructor for practice outside of my lessons) or is it a case of having to do a DAS course with a qualified instructor?

You would not get insurance on a bike that goes over the restraints that the CBT entitles. If you want to get a das bike to ride for your tests you would have to get someone else or yourself to deliver the bike to the center. However It would be cheaper to do das on their bike and then ride your own once passed.

If you want to practice on a biker that surpasses the restraints of the cbt then it would be best going to a industrial estate of large empty car park on a Sunday. However if the police caught you riding then you could still get into major trouble for riding without a license.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
DAS course it is then!

Thanks for the quick reply Thumbs Up

No problem and good luck on the DAS let us know how you get on Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:51 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

You would not get insurance on a bike that goes over the restraints that the CBT entitles. If you want to get a das bike to ride for your tests you would have to get someone else or yourself to deliver the bike to the center.

And thus, as you suggest it seems- the CBT allows you to do DAS. May be a bit harder to explain it to an insurance company so will probably restrict the availability and over-all be uneconomic.

As far as I know, the rules specifically state that you have to be a qualified instructor or examiner to accompany a learner rider on their 'DAS bike'.

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you also have to be wearing hi viz and in constant contact via headset.
Much easier and cheaper to just use their bike i think.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:

You would not get insurance on a bike that goes over the restraints that the CBT entitles. If you want to get a das bike to ride for your tests you would have to get someone else or yourself to deliver the bike to the center.

And thus, as you suggest it seems- the CBT allows you to do DAS. May be a bit harder to explain it to an insurance company so will probably restrict the availability and over-all be uneconomic.

As far as I know, the rules specifically state that you have to be a qualified instructor or examiner to accompany a learner rider on their 'DAS bike'.

G I'm on about that you can only ride a bike that meets the criteria of the CBT; 125cc etc.

I've heard of people believe on here (would have find example) that have had a bike delivered to the test center then been covered by the test center/own insurance for the day to ride it for the test as long as they were in constant contact with the Examiner and wearing the Hi Viz jacket.

IF that is wrong then I apologize for the misinformation.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:28 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test centre won't have their own insurance.

Doubt companies doing DAS instruction will.

However, it should be perfectly possible to get insurance on your DAS capable bike that will cover you doing DAS on a provisional/CBT. Nothing else, as you won't be legally entitled to do anything else until you pass your test.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
The test centre won't have their own insurance.

Doubt companies doing DAS instruction will.

However, it should be perfectly possible to get insurance on your DAS capable bike that will cover you doing DAS on a provisional/CBT. Nothing else, as you won't be legally entitled to do anything else until you pass your test.

Well at least that clears that up thanks G, still would be best to go for tests using their bike to save cash you agree Question
diaslamasl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:46 - 17 Apr 2012    Post subject: Re: A Duffer's Guide to Getting A Licence + Newbie Biker Lin Reply with quote

G wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Rediculousely, the WORST place for a newbie to start is with a learner bike. They are small under-powered and not very forgiving to ride, and built down to a price and a quality.

You seem to have changed your tune.
Quote:
'Ideal' is regulation learner commuter. Its built for the job. Not fancy but easy to ride. Everything else somewhere is compromised for style and or performance.

Only if you clip the Chorus from the verse and sell them as different songs.

125's are not as forgiving to ride, so dont make learning so 'easy', but by not damping clumsiness, encourage you to master the basics, hence are a good learning tool.

And, 'cheap' second hand bikes that have suffered at the hands of a succession of learners, making thier early riding mistakes, both riding and maintaining a machine, often wont be as 'helpful' by way of being confidence inspiring as a new bike. A new bike, is an expensive way to get confidence, but you don't get as much 'bike' for your money, and it will cost a lot in depreciation.

So, it's swings and roundabouts; and a dilemah that has to be resolved, which gives plenty of scope to cherry pick apparent contradictions, in different parts of the debate, if that is all you are interested in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:50 - 17 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
So assuming i had a CBT and had passed my theory test (bike), had a suitable bike to take the direct acess on, and i'd got insurance on said bike.

Would i then be able to ride that, on L plates provided i was with someone who had a full bike licence to get a feel for the bike?
(much like when i was on a provisional, but used my own car without the instructor for practice outside of my lessons) or is it a case of having to do a DAS course with a qualified instructor?

No. DAS rules permit some-one over 21 to ride a machine over 14.5bhp and 125cc ONLY if under supervision of a qualified & approved (and card carrying!) DAS Instructor.

So you could NOT ride a DAS bike, 'legally' on the road unless you were either on a Lesson, or Test. (Examiners also qualify as approved Instructors for the purposes of DAS supervision)

You could however go straight to TEST on a DAS bike you were insured to ride, if you got the bike to the test centre 'legally' ie: you took it in a van, or got a mate who was qualified to ride it, to ride bike, with you as pillion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcfcbiker wrote:
what changes are these you heard about ?

From 19th January 2013:

A1 (light motorcycle) from age 17
No more than 11kw or 14.6bhp and capable of 55 mph
*For the purpose of the test the bike must be between 120 and 125cc

A2 (standard motorcycle) from age 19
Between 25kw/33bhp and 35kw/46.6bhp with a power to weight not greater than 0.2kw per kg
If the bike has been restricted to conform with category A2 the normal unrestricted power cannot be more than 70kw
*For the purpose of the test the bike must be at least 395cc

A (unrestricted) from age 24 or with 2 years experience of A2
Power over 35kw/46.6bhp or power to weight greater than 0.2kw per kg
*For the purpose of the test the bike must be at least 595cc

So, clear as mud then!

Also following a review by the DSA another shake up of the test format is on its way, no definite time frame yet but the DSA are saying by 2013...
The long term aim is to provide a single event test that takes place on the road.
The aim is to have module 1 and 2 taken at the same time.
Having the test take place entirely on road rules out the need for MPTCs making the test more accessible for riders and reducing distances travelled.

woodall57
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:05 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Re: Hey Bendy Reply with quote

MRB3N wrote:
Hey Bendy will you come and write some info out on my forum? You seem perfect for all important information for learner riders! best advice ive seen written anywhere!

www.LBiker.com

Thanks!

i think you should leave

tef gives the best advice going and a bunch of other awesome guys, no need for you to spam looking for users for you site

Thumbs Down
cbt:4/7/12 theory:16/7/12 module 1:12/8/12 module 2: ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
2012danbucsko This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 11 Nov 2012    Post subject: bike test categories in mod1 booking Reply with quote

on DSA mod1 booking page you need to choose a bike test category, no help there or a link to explain it, here I found most bike models listed with relevant category:

https://assets.dft.gov.uk/dsa-bl/dsa-motorcycle-mtv.pdf

To make it worst on booking page they do not use A1, A2, A notation, here is my understanding of booking test categories:

light = A1
standard = A2
big = A

from the posted link. It has been confusing for me to book my mod1 then I found the pdf and my bike there, hope this willbe useful to somebody Very Happy

dynamo_mum
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:17 - 21 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant new starter info.
I'm a 30 year old starter, better late than never Smile

orange71
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:37 - 24 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to figure out the cheapest way to get my full license and the rules are clear as mud now since they changed them. Evil or Very Mad

I'm happy on 125 for the time being as I commute cheaply on it, so even with full license I would probably stay on that for at least the medium term. However my CBT runs out in November and I need to get it sorted really this year and cheaply.

I am 41 and have CBT and have my own 125 on L plates. I was hoping to use the bike for the practice test but it has a speedo in km/h. I guess I can change it relatively cheaply second hand (possibly cheaper than hiring a bike for the test?).

So, I take the theory test, that's OK. £31.

But then what do I do? Eventually I want to be able to ride big bikes, but not just yet, so which test do I take? A/A1/A2??? What's the difference and if I take one on a lighter bike do I have to take it again later to get on a bigger bike instead of the old wait two years scenario?

PS I can't afford direct access or any of that. Was just hoping to take part 1 and part 2 for about £110 combined.

Tuffers
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:22 - 24 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to take both tests for £110 it will have to be A1 (light bikes)

You need a bike thats at least 395cc to do the A2 tests (medium bikes)

If you dont want to ride a bigger bike for a few years just put £10 a week in a piggy bank and raid it after a year or two and you will afford DAS Smile

hongkongdonke...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:51 - 09 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same position as orange71. I've read that both mod 1 and mod 2 have to be taken on the same category of bike. Is this correct? I was hoping to do my theory then mod1 on my own bike before getting some lessons or a mod 2 course.

COWLIE
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:36 - 09 Aug 2013    Post subject: Lessons/test Reply with quote

Just started riding bikes again I have had a 125 for two months,
Question; is it better to take lessons over a period of weeks and then test, or take a intensive course over a week then take the test. Very Happy

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 02 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this may help some new riders understand the law changes:

https://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/ElScampio/MCE_Licence_Changes_A5_zps9c8ceec9.png
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8