Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A Duffer's Guide to Getting A Licence + Newbie Biker Links

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 21 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably an old video now, but my girlfriend has been looking into doing her CBT and watching the video of what to expect helped her relax about it.

https://ridershandbook.com/compulsory-basic-training-cbt.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Chris AKA Bullet This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

northernsky
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:16 - 19 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

have i got this right.
there seems to be 2 CBTs. one for a 125 only, then one for 600c etc

i'm in N.Ireland, my CBT instructor says i need at least 6hrs on the 600c to get a CBT. i can then do my test for A class
but i can only practice on 125s with the CBT

if i do the 125 CBT (which is probably less hrs?) i would not be able to do a full test on the 600c

edit: ok found the official line 'you will be required to complete CBT for the relevant motorcycle category on which you plan to sit your moped or motorcycle test i.e. CBT completed for mopeds and small motorcycles (AM and A1) will not be valid for medium and large motorcycles (A2 and A)

all being well i'll have my CBT for A2 and A next sunday. plan to get a 125 then and practice until i'm confident. then get a few lessons on the big bike again to bring me up to test standard, before booking my test.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:12 - 19 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be Northern Ireland only, which seems to get used as a testbed for the worst excesses of gold plated bureaucracy.

In the rest of the UK, there's no such requirement.

Arrow Get provisional A entitlement on your license.
Arrow Do a CBT on any powered two wheeler to validate that A provisional. There's no 6 hour minimum, you just need to bang through all the modules then the road ride should be at least 2 hours.
Arrow Do your tests on whatever bike you like as long as you're old enough to ride it and can get it to the test centre legally.

You could do your CBT on a 50cc AM moped one day then sit your tests on a Hayabusa the next (at 24+).

northernsky
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:55 - 20 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it's a rip off
I don't mind doing the 6hrs because it's giving me good knowledge and training being a beginner, but if I want to practice on a big bike for my test I will have to fork out £35 a lesson and can only ride the instructors bike

Sanj
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:55 - 10 Oct 2014    Post subject: Motorbike for Full License Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am an Indian and have been riding bikes in India for many years. I have been in UK since Jan 2014 and done with CBT and theory test. I am 32 years of age and want to complete the full license, I do not really need a DAS course as I find it expensive and all the rules I am already aware.

To complete my practical test I need a motorcycle, without paying so much money how can I complete the practical test, can someone help me. I am based in Warrington (close to Manchester and Liverpool).

Thanks
Sanj

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:36 - 11 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sanj.

You can book the tests yourself: https://www.gov.uk/book-driving-test

Then you'll need to get an "A" class motorcycle to sit the tests on. 595cc+, 40kW (~54hp)+. Bandit 600 or thereabouts.

You should find a legal way to get it to and from the test centre for module 1 or at least give the appearance of it. Van, pillion, get someone with a license and appropriate insurance to ride it in.

For module 2 (on road) you should have insurance in place. Bikesure is the only insurer I know that will cover you on your provisional entitlement.

You can book module 1 and module 2 for the same day on the basis that you'll pass module 1. If you don't pass module 1, then you'll lose the test fee for module 2.

The safer but slower way to do it is to wait until you've passed module 1 before booking module 2, or to book module 2 at least 5 (calendar) days later than module 1 to give yourself time to cancel without losing the fee.

It's not easy, but it can be done.

Sanj
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:55 - 11 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hi Sanj.

You can book the tests yourself: https://www.gov.uk/book-driving-test

Then you'll need to get an "A" class motorcycle to sit the tests on. 595cc+, 40kW (~54hp)+. Bandit 600 or thereabouts.

You should find a legal way to get it to and from the test centre for module 1 or at least give the appearance of it. Van, pillion, get someone with a license and appropriate insurance to ride it in.

For module 2 (on road) you should have insurance in place. Bikesure is the only insurer I know that will cover you on your provisional entitlement.

You can book module 1 and module 2 for the same day on the basis that you'll pass module 1. If you don't pass module 1, then you'll lose the test fee for module 2.

The safer but slower way to do it is to wait until you've passed module 1 before booking module 2, or to book module 2 at least 5 (calendar) days later than module 1 to give yourself time to cancel without losing the fee.

It's not easy, but it can be done.

Thanks Rogerborg. But my query is on getting a bike, each riding school at least wants me go through a course. N without bike I can not give my test. Course fees and test is 500 GBP.

CyrilSwan
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:26 - 11 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanj wrote:

Thanks Rogerborg. But my query is on getting a bike

You buy or borrow one, then do as Roger says above.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:14 - 11 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanj wrote:
But my query is on getting a bike

You don't have to go via a riding school, is my point.

Buy whatever bike you want to ride (595cc+ 40kW+), use it for the tests.

Doing it completely legally is tricky, and what you'll save on training costs you might fritter away on bike transport, insurance and retest fees. It is an alternative though.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 11:36 - 12 Oct 2014; edited 1 time in total

Sanj
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:46 - 12 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sanj wrote:
But my query is on getting a bike

You don't have to go via a riding school, is my point.

Buy whatever bike you want to ride (595cc+ 40kW+), use it for the tests.

Doing it legally is completely legally is tricky, and what you'll save on training costs you might fritter away on bike transport, insurance and retest fees. It is an alternative though.

Thanks guys.

kenno87
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:57 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got my first 125 some time ago, considering the fact that it's a bucket, another 125 wouldnt be worth it. so i'm better off getting my license and moving on to a real one.

question is how much would it cost to get an A2 license? the instructor, the hours, exams and any other doodas that i might run into along the way. if it does make a difference i live in petersfield, hampshire.

CyrilSwan
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:51 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about £150 per day to use a school plus test fees.

imfromwales
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:54 - 24 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Matt B"]
mcfcbiker wrote:

From 19th January 2013:

A1 (light motorcycle) from age 17
No more than 11kw or 14.6bhp and capable of 55 mph
*For the purpose of the test the bike must be between 120 and 125cc

A2 (standard motorcycle) from age 19
Between 25kw/33bhp and 35kw/46.6bhp with a power to weight not greater than 0.2kw per kg
If the bike has been restricted to conform with category A2 the normal unrestricted power cannot be more than 70kw
*For the purpose of the test the bike must be at least 395cc

A (unrestricted) from age 24 or with 2 years experience of A2
Power over 35kw/46.6bhp or power to weight greater than 0.2kw per kg
*For the purpose of the test the bike must be at least 595cc

Slightly confused with the A license. I am not sure weather I will be getting my license in NZ or the UK, so I am researching both avenues.

I have seen on a website (https://corsermotorcycleacademy.com/direct-access.html) that they offer DAS, but only if you are over 24 years of age, with 2 restricted categories on your license.

I thought the rules were as quoted above, that you can be over 24, with no categories on your license?

Saltire
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:59 - 24 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DAS test minimum age is 24, not 21.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anybody that wants to train Module 1 test with your own bike and place, you just need some place, few cones and here are the Mod 1 test area diagrams:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/motorcycle-manoeuvring-area-diagrams
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Windypops
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:04 - 05 Jun 2015    Post subject: Doing my test on a 125 Reply with quote

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere; I've read the first couple of posts in the thread and I believe the rules have changed since then.

My situtation is as follows:

I'm 46, and I've been trying to do my direct access. Unfortunately, I keep failing my Mod 1. In the meantime, I've bought myself a 125, as I need something to get me to work and back. Now, I'd quite like to do my test on a 125 if poss, if only to get rid of the L plates. I've been told that if I do so, I'll be able to ride up to a 390cc for two years, before being able to ride anything I like. However, I've read conflicting information on the subject, and I'd be enormously grateful if someone could confirm the above, or point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 05 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the "2yr restriction" method has gone...
You could do your test on your 125 by booking it yourself (£15.50 for mod 1 and £75ish for mod 2) but you'll be only able to ride up to a 125.

Windypops
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:26 - 05 Jun 2015    Post subject: Bugger Reply with quote

andy_uk wrote:
You could do your test on your 125 by booking it yourself (£15.50 for mod 1 and £75ish for mod 2) but you'll be only able to ride up to a 125.

Thanks for the response, Andy.

Oh well. Looks like I'm going to have to go for the A2(?).

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 05 Jun 2015    Post subject: Re: Bugger Reply with quote

Windypops wrote:
andy_uk wrote:

Thanks for the response, Andy.

Oh well. Looks like I'm going to have to go for the A2(?).

Don't go for the A2 it really limits the choice of bikes you can have. Go for the A licence that way you are passing on only a slightly more powerful bike but it opens the door to even more bikes in the future.

Even if you want to stay on something with a little less power if you ever wanted anything a little more in the future you would have to pay the fees to do the A tests anyway.

Motorbike26
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:18 - 24 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice but I don't think the topic title does you any favours. It's insulting and doesn't sound at all professional.

Bikey Bazaar
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:00 - 29 Oct 2015    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the information. I really needed this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bullet3200
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:38 - 05 Nov 2015    Post subject: A1 licence Reply with quote

Hi I need abit of advice for my motorbike licence I have a full car licence and also passed my cbt I have also been riding for about a year and a half am 23, 24 next June, I have also passed my motorbike theory so would I be able to go in for my A1 licence as I have to travel alot and I can't use motorways due to my learner status and my bloody risrictor is getting on my nerves atm max I can go is 70mph and that is only on a downhill route lol so am averageing 55mph all the timeso if am able to pass my mod1&2 I will be getting a newer bike without the learner status and restrictor any help/advice would be emensly gratful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:22 - 05 Nov 2015    Post subject: Re: A1 licence Reply with quote

bullet3200 wrote:
would I be able to go in for my A1 licence as I have to travel alot and I can't use motorways due to my learner status

A1? Using your own 125, sure.

bullet3200 wrote:
and my bloody risrictor is getting on my nerves atm

Your what?

OK, let's back up a bit.

With a CBT, you can ride a bike up to 125cc and 11kW. There are a few (a very few) 2-stroke 125s that need restricted down to 11kW. If you're riding a 4-stroke 125cc bike, it won't be restricted.

An A1 license obtained on a 125cc bike lets you ride, wait for it, a 125cc bike making up to 11kW. The only difference is that you can take off the L plates and use motorways.

Unless you've got an Aprilia RS125 or similar, there's no magic solution to make it go any faster.

Did you mean an A2 license (any size engine, up to 35kW) rather than A1?

I suggest that you start a new thread in New Bikers telling us:

What bike you ride now.
What bike you want to ride.

And we can take it from there.

bullet3200
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:31 - 05 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4 stroke 125cc with a restrictor as a friend of mine who owns his own bike store and bike repair shop and he has took my bike apart and says the engine does have a restrictior plus I will be getting a sports bike like an aprilla also I dont have an A1 licence all i have is an AM and an A licence no A1 or A2 catagory as am not 24 yet to go for my A2 licence and I have only been riding for a year and a half as my cbt runs out in june before my birthday so I need to know if am able to go in for my mod 1&2 for the A1 licence with me being 23 and only have a year and a half experience under my belt.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8