Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Triumph ST1050

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:27 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Triumph ST1050 Reply with quote

I've sold on my fazer 1000 and am thinking of a Triumph ST1050 anything I should be looking for?
I would also like the luggage with it.
Is the GT the better bike?
My budget has shrunk due to other issues and is £3.5k £4K if I sell a few bits I have up for sale.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Triumph ST1050 Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
I've sold on my fazer 1000

Shocked
My finger is hovering over the enemy button... Laughing

Go on, try the Triumph. You'll be back to our side eventually.

https://i.postimg.cc/J4FCh3GS/DSCF3238-zps316a01c6.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/FH7J5MRt/DSCF7125-zpsldzvzoiv.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/wvBLHtY2/DSCN0225.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/vmVjWmV4/DSCN4614.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/rynJwkD3/DSCN8293.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZqJMrpHK/DSCN0435.jpg
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:32 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Triumph ST1050 Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
myvision wrote:
I've sold on my fazer 1000

Shocked
My finger is hovering over the enemy button... Laughing

Go on, try the Triumph. You'll be back to our side eventually

I have thought about trying a newer FZ1 as I did like the FZS.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:33 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear hub has a habit of seizing. Not really an issue but it does require stripping and adding copious amounts for spray on teflon to solve.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Triumph ST1050 Reply with quote

myvision wrote:

I have thought about trying a newer FZ1 as I did like the FZS.

I can't really comment about either the Triumph or the FZ1, as I've only had a very brief try of the latter when it first came out. For a sports tourer, I guess I'd have to consider both, if not something more recent. But the FZ1 and FZS are very different bikes. It's not so much just one being more up to date, but I think the FZS is one of the last true all-rounders. The FZ1 erodes some of that versatility I think, or rather the quality of that roundedness, being a bit more focussed towards the sport side.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:03 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The rear hub has a habit of seizing. Not really an issue but it does require stripping and adding copious amounts for spray on teflon to solve.

The one BBQ I went to I remember yours piled high with your gear and wondered how the fuck it stayed on.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:17 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The one BBQ I went to I remember yours piled high with your gear and wondered how the fuck it stayed on.

Style, talent and a grudging refusal to give in to newton and his laws.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:31 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GT is not supposed to be very good. The ST is supposedly night and day better.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The GT is not supposed to be very good. The ST is supposedly night and day better.

See I'd go the other way, the GT at least has some proper touring capability. The ST didn't do that well, and was no sports bike either.

Nobby and I will severely disagree on this and we've had the discussion before. The only thing I ended up liking about my ST was the engine. The rest was just so meh.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:21 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont tour, I use mine for commuting but sports bikes ruin my knees, elbows, wrists and shoulders. I consider it a good all rounder.

To be honest, how many people use their touring bikes to tour? Probably as many people who use their adventure bikes for adventures.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
MarJay wrote:

See I'd go the other way, the GT at least has some proper touring capability. The ST didn't do that well, and was no sports bike either.

Nobby and I will severely disagree on this and we've had the discussion before. The only thing I ended up liking about my ST was the engine. The rest was just so meh.

I know you were never keen but I've ridden my mates a few times and likes it. Found it easy to hussle, and comfortable. Sure it's not sports bike nimble, but it does ok. My other mate had 3 of them, toured all of them over Europe several times a year with a pillion (both of them are large people too) and only changes when he bought his multistrada. He is also one of the quickest riders I've ridden with.

He tried the GT but didn't like it, significantly less nimble apparently. I haven't ridden one.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:10 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimble? I've been known to stick mine up the inside of a truck that's chosen to sit on the double white line just to stop me legally overtaking....

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

I know you were never keen but I've ridden my mates a few times and likes it. Found it easy to hussle, and comfortable. Sure it's not sports bike nimble, but it does ok. My other mate had 3 of them, toured all of them over Europe several times a year with a pillion (both of them are large people too) and only changes when he bought his multistrada. He is also one of the quickest riders I've ridden with.

He tried the GT but didn't like it, significantly less nimble apparently. I haven't ridden one.

I guess I never found it that comfortable and looking at cycle-ergo it's easy to see why; the hip angle is the same as a Panigale.

Honestly, the 990 SMT that replaced it was so much more capable in both hooning and touring disciplines. The Sprint is the only bike I've regretted owning for so long.

It's not that it was 'bad' per se, I just found it not particularly good at anything. The engine was the only bit that saved it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you sell the Fazer? What are you looking for? What didn't the Fazer have that you want? Luggage comment suggests a tourer. FJR1300? Can you actually better the Fazer within a £4k budget? Mine added up to around the £4k mark including the mods I had done, which improved it a lot. As a tourer, the only downside I see is that hard luggage options are becoming difficult to source.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:59 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports Tourer? £4k budget?

Has to be a Z1000SX, right?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Sports Tourer? £4k budget?

Has to be a Z1000SX, right?

That's what automatically sprang to my mind, but can you get a nice example in that budget?

Tomoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:34 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rule out a Bandit 1250 or GSX1250 if a muscly sport tourer is your think. £4k gets an absolute belter!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:20 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomoose wrote:
Don't rule out a Bandit 1250 or GSX1250 if a muscly sport tourer is your think. £4k gets an absolute belter!

Never ridden the 1250, but the 1200 was basically a fuel deleting engine. Laughing I wouldn't want to 'tour' on that.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:45 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly anything in that class is similar in poor mpg if you have any fun with the throttle Laughing The nature of that bandit motor though, you can granny it and you are getting the best out of it, not much in the top end.

19L is good though, internet says ~190 mile range which is decent.

They are a pretty good deal with full luggage for the price, but not quite as spicy as some of the other offerings.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:19 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want fuel economy, buy a 600 divvy and not a litre.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Tomoose wrote:

Never ridden the 1250, but the 1200 was basically a fuel deleting engine. Laughing I wouldn't want to 'tour' on that.

I knew a girl that used to hustle one alright and she wasn't stopping for fuel earlier than we were.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Paddy is the fuel deleting machine Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:50 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I suspect Paddy is the fuel deleting machine Laughing

My gsxr average 140-150 a tank which is nice. I was filling up 1/2 the time in Spain on my r1 Vs a divvy and bandit 6. I ride proper jewish when I can Laughing

Mart_er6
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:10 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had my '06 ST1050 for about 8yrs now.. done about 35k miles, of which about 28k is mine.

Great allrounder ; I use it to commute about 20miles on motorways + main roads and for this task it is great all year round. Plenty enough power but not too much, nice & stable with linear power delivery.

Done a few longer trips and again no problems there, comfy enough.

Problems: Rear hub bearings went; symptoms were rear wheel going stiff to turn. Had a problem with the ignition barrel which meant the bike cut-out on the motorway temporarily.. Triumph replaced the barrel. Clutch cable snapped after about 10yrs - wear and tear I suppose. Regulator/rectifier failed last year (quite common I believe) so was replaced allowing the battery to charge again, which is useful.. that's it, apart from the occasional puncture.

Keep thinking I'll replace it, but end up finding it difficult to let go of because it does all that I need it to! Had adulterous thoughts a few years back about an impractical KTM RC8 and more recently (and more practically) the Ducati Supersport which has similar power and similar kind of bike - bit pricey yet though!

Mart_er6
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:12 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Oh, and much better for rust than my previous bike, Kawasaki ER6F, which was rusting after 2 years from new - but I do spray the Triumph every year with some ACF50 after the previous experience)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2