Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I suspect Paddy is the fuel deleting machine Laughing

My gsxr average 140-150 a tank which is nice. I was filling up 1/2 the time in Spain on my r1 Vs a divvy and bandit 6. I ride proper jewish when I can Laughing

You have shattered all my illusions Crying or Very sad
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:54 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2005 ABS version for about 3 years at around 25k miles (i didn't do more than a few thousand).

Apart from the engine it was a bit meh. The suspension was either undersprung or knackered, the brakes were VERY spongy no matter how much bleeding and the electrics were absolute dogshit. It went through at least one battery each year. I finally decided to get rid after it wouldn't start for god knows how many times.

They are supposed to be good once the suspension is heavily upgraded however.

Honestly, if you want a sports tourer look at the BMW K1300 range. They're better than the triumph in almost every respect I can think of. Absolutely phenomenal power and brakes and still return good mpg (50 ish). Not to mention the fact they will out drag practically any other bike from 40-120mph.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has an ST1050. Great bike for the larger gentlemen, too heavy for me. He has broken down twice in the last year, I'd need to confirm tomorrow what with.

Don't like the look personally, and would rather have a Z1000SX, maybe because he has a black leather tank cover that makes the bike look like a heavy gimp.

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:18 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had my 06 from new, the obvious things to check are:
Rear hub and suspension linkages, they need annual stripping and re-greasing as part of the 12K/24K service schedule, a lot of owners change the oil/filters and neglect these, the linkage on the early ones where subject to a recall to replace the dogbone.
The early ones had plastic fuel tanks that suffered from swelling caused by ethanol, the later ones have steel tanks.
Electricals, the Rectifier should have been replaced, ideally with a Mosfet unit and wired direct to the battery as the harness block plug for the Rectifier tends to melt.
The starter sprag clutch are prone to failure, as owners keep trying to crank the bike over with a dead battery, and the slow cranking and high load kills the sprag, but swopping out the 3 battery/starter cables for heavier duty ones resolves this and improves cranking, there’s a guy on the sprint/tiger FB groups who sells them for about £15.
Some of the exhaust headers crack and are a nightmare to fix, and result in broken studs. A set of new headers that cost £800 new sold on eBay last weekend for £100+
Luggage: make sure you buy one with luggage and all the brackets, even if you don’t use the luggage, don’t be tempted to get rid of it on a whim, the brackets and metalwork for the side cases are rarer than rocking horse shit. AFAIK I’ve probably got the last set of as new brackets tucked away in the garage and I’m keeping them along with the other spare parts that I’m hoarding.
Generally a lot of owners will throw money at a bike they’ve bought, scouring the forums and socials looking for aftermarket exhausts, Farkles etc to get more power. They’ll modify the airbox engine mappings etc, but mess up doing it. So they sell it on to some mug to sort out. Your probably better off trying to find a stock unmolested bike that’s had the same owner

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:38 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
I had a 2005 ABS version for about 3 years at around 25k miles (i didn't do more than a few thousand).

Apart from the engine it was a bit meh. The suspension was either undersprung or knackered, the brakes were VERY spongy no matter how much bleeding and the electrics were absolute dogshit. It went through at least one battery each year. I finally decided to get rid after it wouldn't start for god knows how many times.

They are supposed to be good once the suspension is heavily upgraded however.

Honestly, if you want a sports tourer look at the BMW K1300 range. They're better than the triumph in almost every respect I can think of. Absolutely phenomenal power and brakes and still return good mpg (50 ish). Not to mention the fact they will out drag practically any other bike from 40-120mph.

The K1300 could be a possibility look to be some good ones if I could up my budget.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:14 - 25 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested a brand new (at the time) 1050ST when it was first released back-to-back with my 2000 model VFR800FIY.

Despite having 40k miles on the clock, the VFR was a much nicer bike to ride and a lot more refined. I bought a K1200S instead of the ST which was a beautifully built bike, but there were a lot of reliability issues. A used one could be a real money pit.

As others said, I’d look at the Z1000SX Thumbs Up

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:52 - 25 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid the K1200 series.

The K1300 has upgraded suspension, gearbox, engine, wheel carrier, frame etc etc etc. Much improved.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:07 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
Avoid the K1200 series.

The K1300 has upgraded suspension, gearbox, engine, wheel carrier, frame etc etc etc. Much improved.

I've now been looking at the K1300s because of this thread and just missed a great deal on a lava orange one.
I have now sold my thundercat as well so the budget is £5k i have also found a really well looked after K1300GT so am now stuck do i go for the GT or the S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:56 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to this thread is that I bought a VFR1200.
Some nice additions on it and it goes like fuck.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 22 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
Update to this thread is that I bought a VFR1200.
Some nice additions on it and it goes like fuck.

Cool. Some pics then innit Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:11 - 22 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.ibb.co/qMGHvPW/IMG-2870.png

I'll take some pictures after I've cleaned it as it pissed it down all the 200 mile ride home.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2