BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Showing L plates with full licence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told the same - you are euphoric from the pass so best not ruin it, eh?

Equally I was also allowed to ride home from my DAS having passed. I was on a hired bike too - not a riding school bike but a bike hired from the local BMW dealership for the purposes of doing the DAS.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Does it really though?
Of course it does. How would a driving instructor give Pass Plus lessons if it no longer covered people that had passed their test?

For sure, but I assumed we were talking about the learner's own vehicle and policy, though?

arry wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
The fact that you have to tell the insurers as soon as you've passed, whereupon they instantly increase the premium, would suggest not (that said, I imagine if they tried wriggling out of a claim after an accident on the way back from a successful driving test, the ombudsman or whatever would pronounce it unreasonable...)
As for the FOS finding it unreasonable - unlikely

I totally agree about the increased risk, and clearly I bow to your superior knowledge on that (and I'm not being sarky!); that said I was referring specifically to the drive home from the test centre and wondering whether the insured would really be expected to ring his insurer from the test centre ("Your call is important to us but we are experiencing high call volumes..." Rolling Eyes) to upgrade his insurance policy before driving home. Same would apply after bike tests of course - has any newly-passed rider ever actually done that in the history of the world?!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

For sure, but I assumed we were talking about the learner's own vehicle and policy, though?

Didn't pick up on that nuance and having read it back, I still can't - but maybe I've just misunderstood? Either way, driving instructor would, on that occasion, probably have more valid insurance than the learner lol.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I totally agree about the increased risk, and clearly I bow to your superior knowledge on that (and I'm not being sarky!); that said I was referring specifically to the drive home from the test centre and wondering whether the insured would really be expected to ring his insurer from the test centre ("Your call is important to us but we are experiencing high call volumes..." Rolling Eyes) to upgrade his insurance policy before driving home. Same would apply after bike tests of course - has any newly-passed rider ever actually done that in the history of the world?!

I don't suppose many have, but they really should. In this day and age it's slightly easier as you'd probably have it ruled as an innocent non-disclosure and, therefore, you'd be going down the route of proportional remedy unless the company could categorically state they wouldn't insure the newly passed driver at any terms. Not something I'd want to get into the beartrap of mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:40 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd party insurance would still be valid, but you stand the chance of being sued by the insurance company if you quadaspazz someone but they'll have to show that you passing your test contributed to the loss.

(To put it in layman's terms)

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 17:22 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment for driving instructor policies but I know for a fact that policies you arrange for yourself to learn on your own car or your parents car or someone else's car are WAY cheaper than a standard policy and cover provisional licence holders ONLY. As soon as you've passed YOU ARE NO LONGER COVERED! I know from first hand experience when my son got his Fiesta insured while he had a provisional licence the premium was like £450 or something but only valid for provisional licence holders. It quite clearly stated in the policy wording that as soon as he got a full licence he was no longer covered. I think the options were to inform them when he passed and pay another £2000 odd or just cancel the policy and arrange another policy.

Like I said his premium was in the £400s on his provisional licence but when he passed and got another quote it was in the region of £2500.

This is because the insurance companies works on the basis that anyone driving on a provisional licence will have an experienced person teaching them beside them the whole time they're driving. Otherwise they are not covered and they won't pay out if a claim is made and they're found to be driving alone.

Statistically speaking learner drivers are way less of a financial liability for insurers on the road than newly passed drivers. They work on the basis that two sets of eyes watching the road and two sets of hands on (or ready to pounce on) the steering wheel and hand brake are safer than one. Don't know this next point for a fact but I imagine the vast majority of accidents involving learner drivers are the other person's fault getting impatient and making a dick move as the learners are going so slow any mistakes they make can be negated and collision avoided.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 17:24 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
3rd party insurance would still be valid, but you stand the chance of being sued by the insurance company if you quadaspazz someone but they'll have to show that you passing your test contributed to the loss.

(To put it in layman's terms)

This is true, any insurance company would be forced to pay out any third party claim so long as the driver is named on a policy. Regardless of whether the driver has lied about the licence they hold, points, previous accidents, personal circumstances etc. that would affect the premium. They can always sue you at a later date and possibly police involvement with criminal or civil proceedings against you but yeah ultimately any third party losses should be paid for.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:58 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could try to chase after you with a large bill that's potential for millions of pounds or they could just not waste their time.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:22 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd take you to court over a fiver mate, let alone an expensive payout.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
They'd take you to court over a fiver mate, let alone an expensive payout.

Would they?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2