Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ebay dispute, buyer bought wrong item, now demands refund

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Ebay dispute, buyer bought wrong item, now demands refund Reply with quote

So, i sold a 3D Space Mouse on eBay a few weeks ago, that i used to use for 3D CAD on a Windows based PC, all works fine, i even double checked it and charged it up before shipping

Fast forward 2 weeks, buyer sends me a message saying that it doesn't work with Blender (what ever the hell Blender is) on his MAC, i told him to contact the manufacturer for the required drivers (which do exist in MAC format), but the buyer still tells me it does not work in Blender, so has now put in a dispute that the mouse does not work

Where do i stand here, the mouse does work, but the buyer clearly did not check before buying that it would work for his specific application, i can't see how that is my fault and why i should have to issue a refund

Discuss......

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the ins and outs of eBay, but I'd say if he refunds your postage and returns it in good condition, that would be fair, as it was his mistake. I doubt logic and decency tun through eBay transactions, though.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I don't know about the ins and outs of eBay, but I'd say if he refunds your postage and returns it in good condition, that would be fair, as it was his mistake. I doubt logic and decency tun through eBay transactions, though.

Well i have bascially replied telling him i do not accept the refund as he clearly did not check the requirements for his application before buying it, time to see what Mr Ebay says then

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

e-Bay pretty much also sides with the buyer..
However, whether it's a robot or a real persons 'judging the case' I would love to know - They must have many thousands of transaction disputes a day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:24 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the 3Dconnexion one?

If so, I don't they got that working on the later OS, only the no longer supported aids MacOS

His fault, agreed, I tend to accept stuff back and eBay does side with the purchaser, otherwise people like Bodytard would be upset.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Is it the 3Dconnexion one?

If so, I don't they got that working on the later OS, only the no longer supported aids MacOS

His fault, agreed, I tend to accept stuff back and eBay does side with the purchaser, otherwise people like Bodytard would be upset.

Yep, 3Dconnexion one, looks like I'm going to get butt fucked then, I just hope it sells 2nd time round for the same price

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously you aren't woke, It's 2020 and you are at fault for something if someone is offended or just doesn't like something.

Pay up double so that the buyer can seek comfort telling everybody how he beat the system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty easy to find info on this mouse:

https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1497

Do you recall what sort of returns policy you specified when you sold the item? i.e. "returns accepted - buyer pays postage"

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:24 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear buyer,

I am not familiar with Blender or its hardware requirements.

The [name of mouse] is in full working order, I even double checked it and charged it up before shipping

I am unable to offer support for how to setup or use Blender.

Your sincerely,

Bertie

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, I think it's a dead cert that Ebay will side with the buyer.

I think it's a bad policy when it comes to things like computer parts, where the buyer might be a bit too shrewd for their own good. He might have read on a forum that it works in Blender on Mac, and then read elsewhere that it doesn't. So, what has he to lose by trying it out for free, having it delivered to him for free, and returning it for free if it doesn't work? Sort of like the guy on the train carriage who's caught out without a ticket. Always the one that's most respectably dressed. As an example, a buyer pulled this one on me once, and got a free desktop tower enclosure, on the basis that I didn't include a couple of inner fittings (she hadn't read the description or seen the pics). So I lost out.

I think it's a good policy when it comes to things like bike parts, where the buyer might be an enthusiast who isn't quite shrewd enough for their own good, and the seller sees him coming. For example, I bought a couple of cams recently. The ones pictured weren't the ones I received (in short, there are 2 versions of the performance grind, and one of them needs different pistons). He sent me ones that would have destroyed my engine if I'd installed them. Honest mistake, perhaps. But I am suspicious that a shrewd guy on Facebook somehow immediately got the right cams after I was sent the wrong ones. Nevertheless, the seller was rightly made to shell out for posting the wrong ones to me, knowingly or not. The seller lost out on postage costs, as was right.

I wouldn't say that you always get bad sellers and good buyers when you're dealing in dirty, greasy bike parts and, conversely, bad buyers and good sellers when you're dealing with computer parts. But I think there is something there.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:18 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add the person to your blocked bidders list.

https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

Bhud wrote:
As others have said, I think it's a dead cert that Ebay will side with the buyer.

Not at all.

Assuming OP didn't say anything in item description about saying that it would work with Blender then there's nothing to worry about.

Dear buyer,

The item is in full working order.

The item is as described.

What software you're trying to use is nothing to do with me or the mouse. There'll probably be help guides or tutorials available online but I don't even know what Blender is.

I cannot help you with Blender.

Have a nice weekend.

Bertie

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, i did not say anything about it working with Mac or Blender, but somehow the item is "not as described" and therefore eBay have sided with the buyer

I am at least trying toi get the buyer to pay return postage, otherwise i will be out of pocket through no fault of my own, grrrrrr

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can appeal:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item-buyers?id=4039

I've not read the particulars here, but gather you've sold something to a donkey that didn't research if it was what they needed and now baw when it doesn't.

Long story short it helps to write responses in a clear factual manor stating reason for refusal of return and getting all lawyer like in the process. Keeping contact to a minimum is something I practice. If buyers aren't satisfied after the initial response I let eBay step in after a few days and go with whatever they decide.

If you decide not to appeal and sell the item again make sure it says in the description the systems it isn't compatible with or doesn't work on that the initial buyer had tried. "Any questions please ask," may also help.

Inspect part before appeal to see if is in condition you posted it, and works upon return.

Wiggle room. eBay is full of dummies. Its annoying when it happens the first time, but dealing with them afterwards becomes easier.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
You can appeal:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item-buyers?id=4039

I've not read the particulars here, but gather you've sold something to a donkey that didn't research if it was what they needed and now baw when it doesn't.

Long story short it helps to write responses in a clear factual manor stating reason for refusal of return and getting all lawyer like in the process. Keeping contact to a minimum is something I practice. If buyers aren't satisfied after the initial response I let eBay step in after a few days and go with whatever they decide.

If you decide not to appeal and sell the item again make sure it says in the description the systems it isn't compatible with or doesn't work on that the initial buyer had tried. "Any questions please ask," may also help.

Inspect part before appeal to see if is in condition you posted it, and works upon return.

Wiggle room. eBay is full of dummies. Its annoying when it happens the first time, but dealing with them afterwards becomes easier.

Cheers, all sound advice, and yes i had planned (if needed to re-sell it) to state it doesn not work with Mac's or Bender, sorry Blender

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bottom bracket for a push bike recently - turned out to be the wrong thread size - the ad stated somewhere English thread but elsewhere 70mm (Italian size)..

Anyway in spite of ambiguity in the advert seller stuck to his guns which was fair enough. I flogged it on for a few quid more than I paid.. No biggy.

Could be buyer trying it on to get a partial refund - so tell them to fuck off.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I bought a bottom bracket for a push bike recently - turned out to be the wrong thread size - the ad stated somewhere English thread but elsewhere 70mm (Italian size)..

Anyway in spite of ambiguity in the advert seller stuck to his guns which was fair enough. I flogged it on for a few quid more than I paid.. No biggy.

Could be buyer trying it on to get a partial refund - so tell them to fuck off.

I initially told him to "do one" (in the politests possible way of course) but after eBay stepped in, i told him i would offer to refund the purchase price only, and only if he paid for return postage (with suitable insurance for the cost of goods)........ haven't heard back from him yet

But his argument is that i didn't state in the description that the 3D Space mouse does not work on a Mac, so it's somehow my fault

Well guess what, it doesn't work on a lot of things, do i really have to give an exhausting list every computer system ever made and say that it doesn't work on those either

Also, checking all other adverts for the same/similar items, non of those state they do not work on Mac's either

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 09:48 - 11 Aug 2020; edited 1 time in total

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me you didn't miss the opportunity to get some well placed typos in the replies to him. 'Blender' is begging for it.

Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1