Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HONDA 125 CD BENLY 1984

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Princessdarks...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:13 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: HONDA 125 CD BENLY 1984 Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I am currently rebuilding my Honda 125 cd. The parts are in Hull being sprayed. The engine is in the garage with pistons scratched

I have ordered a new piston and barrel set. Along with head gasket set
too.

They called me today and said I need a new oil filter for this engine. Can anyone advise me on where I cohld purchase one? I'm really struggling to find
one. Many thanks all

:D :D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:17 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they have a filter, just a metal gauze type set up.

Wemoto suggest that also.

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cd_125_t__benly_12_volt/84/picture/oil_filter_screen___strainer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't have a filter just a strainer/gauze.

Edit:-beaten by Paddy, wot he sed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:21 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
beaten by Paddy

I'd accept a beating from Fisty, any day.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: HONDA 125 CD BENLY 1984 Reply with quote

Princessdarkside wrote:
Hi everyone

I am currently rebuilding my Honda 125 cd. The parts are in Hull being sprayed. The engine is in the garage with pistons scratched

I have ordered a new piston and barrel set. Along with head gasket set
too.

They called me today and said I need a new oil filter for this engine.

Very Happy Very Happy

Hmmm? Who is THEY?
As far as I can remember that bike has a gauze filter.
Are THEY trying to con some money out of you??

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:35 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Fisty wrote:
beaten by Paddy

I'd accept a beating from Fisty, any day.

Get in the queue.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:44 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will also have a centrifugal filter built into the end of the crank.
There was some discussion on here a week or two back in a thread about a CB125S.

Basically the oil runs through a chamber before it goes into the crank.

Any heavy bits ( metal) and other crap gets flung out to form a hard paste on the sides of the chamber.

Undo the cover and scrape the crap out. 3 phillips screws under the clutch cover. It's not the sort of filter you do every 3000 miles.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The attached pic above also appears to show a strainer screen, similar to the one on a YBR.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:14 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason why the strainer cant be cleaned.and reused?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Any reason why the strainer cant be cleaned.and reused?

That is the recommended service for the YBR. Clean it and reuse it until it becomes damaged or otherwise unserviceable.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:01 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gauze cant really be considered a filter as such... is there to stop rocks , lumps of crap ( and anything else that has got in the engine via the dipstick hole) and balls of blue hylomar getting dragged into the oil pump and wrecking it. On cars the similar gauze is called a strainer....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:57 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
The gauze cant really be considered a filter as such... is there to stop rocks , lumps of crap ( and anything else that has got in the engine via the dipstick hole) and balls of blue hylomar getting dragged into the oil pump and wrecking it. On cars the similar gauze is called a strainer....

Thats bollocks. I've cleaned them in the past.

How the fucking hell do rocks get in there?

Paddy?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:

A strainer is a type of filter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily,like the CB125S,the crankshaft is the roller bearing type and so does not need super clean oil like a plain bearing type crankshaft.The centrifugal device gets rid of the fine debris,as shown in the fiche

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cd125t-general-export-kph_model50479/partslist/0050.html#.XzBi87B7nIU

The part numbers are the same as for the UK so any Honda dealer would be able to source parts.Good idea to replace the cover gasket as well and to not use instant gasket Wink

Many parts are interchangeable with the CD185 and the CD200T.I bought a wreck of a CD200T and rebuilt it with many new parts,but only as a project.Even after 38,000 miles there was only a small amount of solidified crud that had built up in the centrifugal oil device.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Princessdarks...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:23 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: 1984 HONDA 125 CD BENLY Reply with quote

Right guys. Just an update... I have attached the images of what the Italian's sent me. As its 2 Italian brothers doing it.

Also I think I've found the correct parts on the honda website. I've also attached that.

Thanks again and hope you all had a good weekend 😀 👍

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 11. Thats it.

Princessdarks...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:35 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: HONDA 125 CD BENLY 1984 Reply with quote

I have read all your messages I am picking it up from them tomorrow. And yes my initial thought was clean it up and just re use it.

No they are not scamming me. I couldn't find anyone to rebore my engine until I come across a bloke and in conversation mentioned my bike
He said he knows 2 italian brothers that love motorbike engines and would love to do it. So I called and sure enough they were excited. So far I've ordered a head gasket set. A piston and barrel set. As the pistons are scratched but they don't rebore just put sleeves on? Whatever that means and now they mention and sent me the pictures to this stuff. So I dont think they would scam me plus I've asked how much labour each time and they avoid the question so I genuinely think theyre enjoying it
This engine has not been touched since being built in 1984. Its been sitting in my father's shed for 30 years at least. So I'm quite impressed with how she's working out. I've attached some more images for anyone interested.

Next project. A 1986 genesis fzr

😁😁😁

Last edited by Princessdarkside on 23:22 - 09 Aug 2020; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:18 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber bit round the edge of the gauze screen has probably started coming apart, had it happen on a CB125T2.

David silver spares are my usual first go-to place for classic honda parts.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked on the Dave Silver website and,although the CD125T is mentioned,as are the CD185T and the CD200T,those components are not showing.They are still available from stock at Fowlers of Bristol under the model of the CD250U,which just shows how many parts are interchangeable between models

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4859210/cd250uk-1989-e/oil-pump?noredir=1

Always have a 'Plan B'

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:47 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
steve the grease wrote:

A strainer is a type of filter.

Well yes , but it is a very crude filter, filtering out stuff down to about a quarter of a millimeter, which is why I refered lightheartedly to 'rocks, lumps of crap' etc. If you have got crap .25mm circulating round your lubrication system, then you have got problems ( sand might be an example) - which is why I said the gauze isn't really a filter, on it's own it is not anywhere near enough to protect the lubrication system.
A paper filter might filter down to 10 microns which is 25 times smaller than .25mm. Bikes that don't have a paper filter , need some other mechanism for filtering out fine particles, much smaller than can get through the gauze, and a centfrifugal filer is often used , as indeed is the case with the bike being talked about here.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
Bikes that don't have a paper filter , need some other mechanism for filtering out fine particles, much smaller than can get through the gauze, and a centfrifugal filer is often used , as indeed is the case with the bike being talked about here.

What about a YBR? Those poor little engines have a filter screen and nothing else! Shocked .25mm is probably the best filtering you are going to get, unless the screen begins to load up and the filtered debris take on the role of filtering media; but then flow and oil pressure drops off, and that's even worse. How do you counter that...frequent oil changes. Way more frequently than the factory 3,750 mile recommendation. That may be an inadequate countermeasure, but you do what you can.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:57 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
steve the grease wrote:
Bikes that don't have a paper filter , need some other mechanism for filtering out fine particles, much smaller than can get through the gauze, and a centfrifugal filer is often used , as indeed is the case with the bike being talked about here.

What about a YBR? Those poor little engines have a filter screen and nothing else! Shocked .25mm is probably the best filtering you are going to get, unless the screen begins to load up and the filtered debris take on the role of filtering media; but then flow and oil pressure drops off, and that's even worse. How do you counter that...frequent oil changes. Way more frequently than the factory 3,750 mile recommendation. That may be an inadequate countermeasure, but you do what you can.

What about Rotary filter, part number 5VLE345100 as fitted to the YBR check out CSMNL, it does sound rather like a centrifugal filter.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
What about Rotary filter, part number 5VLE345100 as fitted to the YBR check out CSMNL, it does sound rather like a centrifugal filter.

Thank you, steve the grease. Looks like it fits just behind the primary drive gear. I had no idea it was there, and I've pretty much read my Haynes manual cover to cover. Best, JJ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1