Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Who gives a toss about valve-clearance checks?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:48 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot tell that valves are in good condition just by listening. Any audible warning would indicate that damage is already advanced.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:20 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting as on my 'first bike' (I gave a toss about) I didn't bother - CBR600 with 34k on the clock, no history of check so by rights you'd say well you don't know, so best get it done. But it was worth all of a grand and you'd be paying someone half that to do it most likely, so the law of bangernomics kicks in.

But on a £5k+ bike with expensive engine internals? I'd say the service cost of the valve check is just part and parcel of owning an expensive machine. I stuck my KTM in for it which, with a full service, new front tyre and new rear brake pads came to ~£850. Yeah, bit lumpy and it hurts a touch - but then I knew it was all good for donkeys years of my sort of mileage after, so worth it to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ‘Arry says, I’d assume it is a decision based on the value of the bike - both in cold hard cash and as a machine to you personally. If I was riding a clapped out old bike around a field I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be paying £500 or more that I paid for it being done on my ZZR for a couple of years ago (as part of a major service, carbs balanced, the lot). Equally if it’s a cherished £25,000 Panigale S you intend to keep for the foreseeable, then I’d say get it booked in.
It’s about long term plans as much as anything in my opinion!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:47 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - this is my experience with valve clearances.

I've never had a brand new bike - I always bought used and my bikes usually already had a few thousand miles on the clock - some of them with zero service history - I've always checked clearances at the appointed mileage because the manual said I should - and apart from my Kawasaki ZX7R which required a shim adjustment I've never been out of clearance on any of them or had any engine problems - even as they racked up high mileages . . .

So naturally sods law kicks nicely into action - after 20 years of having loads of bikes that never needed clearances adjusting - the one bike I didn't check the valve clearances on time (my cbr600) starts stalling - I do the check and find that all my exhaust valves are seriously tight, plus a couple of intakes - 50% compression on cylinder 2 - I'm re-shimmig right now.

Hopefully I will get compression back on cylinder 2 and won't have to take the head off and get further work done.

It's all my fault - I shouldn't have been complacent - but I was and I'm paying the price.

So yes - to OP get the clearances checked.

Last edited by droog on 15:13 - 09 Aug 2020; edited 4 times in total

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:
Ok - this is my experience with valve clearances.

I've never had a brand new bike - I always bought used and my bikes usually already had a few thousand miles on the clock - some of them with zero service history - I've always checked clearances at the appointed mileage because the manual said I should - and apart from my Kawasaki ZX7R which required a shim adjustment I've never been out of clearance on any of them or had any engine problems - even as they racked up high mileages . . .

So naturally sods law kicks nicely into action - after 20 years of having loads of bikes that never needed clearances adjusting the one bike I didn't check the valve clearances on time (my cbr600) starts stalling - I do the check and find that all my exhaust valves are seriously tight, plus a couple of intakes - 50% compression on cylinder 2 - I'm re-shimmig right now.

Hopefully I will get compression back on cylinder 2 and won't have to take the head off and get further work done.

It's all my fault - I shouldn't have been complacent - but I was and I'm paying the price.

My exhaust valves were all nearly 0.1mm too tight as well on the F4i at 50k miles. According to service history at about 25k miles it was checked by a garage and found to be all within tolerance. I'm thinking the garage was just saying so to avoid doing the work..

I did my valve clearances to chase down a flat spot the bike has at around 6.5kRPM, so just getting current with the servicing before going down other tuning routes. That, and cleaning out the injectors, seemed to make a positive difference! Should have done one then the other to find out which made it better, but the bike was already in bits for checking the clearances so why double the work Laughing

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
I'll probably wait until 20k, then get them done when I replace the cam-chain (which is recommended at 25k miles because BMW engineering ain't all that).

I don't want to agree because it offends my senses of spannering. It also seems very odd for the service schedule to have a valve check on the first service, would suggest they lack confidence in the factory to build the engines right in the first place.

Of course, if you have a warranty and want to keep it, get it serviced by the manufacturers schedule. Doesn't have to be a main dealer.

It's not a first service, it has nearly 15k miles on it, the first valve-check is due at 18k.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:24 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell SOUP wrote:

My exhaust valves were all nearly 0.1mm too tight as well on the F4i at 50k miles. According to service history at about 25k miles it was checked by a garage and found to be all within tolerance. I'm thinking the garage was just saying so to avoid doing the work..

I did my valve clearances to chase down a flat spot the bike has at around 6.5kRPM, so just getting current with the servicing before going down other tuning routes. That, and cleaning out the injectors, seemed to make a positive difference! Should have done one then the other to find out which made it better, but the bike was already in bits for checking the clearances so why double the work Laughing

Hi Campbell Very Happy

Sounds like you did a thorough job - yeah - just getting to the valve cover requires a lot of dismantling on modern bikes -so definitely worth doing as much maintenance as you can when you have all the bits off.

My exhaust clearances are out across the board by about 0.05mm.

Based on my experience I would say yes to the OP regarding checking valve clearances on schedule particularly if as mentioned this is the FIRST valve clearance check on this machine.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of care about valve clearances.
I insisted on the dealer I bought my Street Triple from doing them as part of the agreement of sale, as it was due. I couldn't prove whether they did or not though, even though it meant not getting the bike delivered so quickly.
Had the Fazer ones checked at about 30k (due every 25k - again, they said they did, can't prove it) - they said everything was within tolerances. It's not a job I'm willing to tackle myself, so I just have to trust the dealers. Bike is over 50k miles now; maybe I'll get them checked again if it goes back on the road, but I don't think there's any panic to do it, to my knowledge these bikes stay pretty much within for ages. Usually.
Most bikes I haven't kept long enough to worry about it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:
Campbell SOUP wrote:

Hi Campbell Very Happy

Sounds like you did a thorough job - yeah - just getting to the valve cover requires a lot of dismantling on modern bikes -so definitely worth doing as much maintenance as you can when you have all the bits off.

My exhaust clearances are out across the board by about 0.05mm.

Based on my experience I would say yes to the OP regarding checking valve clearances on schedule particularly if as mentioned this is the FIRST valve clearance check on this machine.

I learned it was 10x easier getting the head cover off without the throttle cables in the way. Even still the gasket manages to get caught on everything when putting it back together! I'm so glad to be done with it

chickenstrip wrote:
I sort of care about valve clearances.
I insisted on the dealer I bought my Street Triple from doing them as part of the agreement of sale, as it was due. I couldn't prove whether they did or not though, even though it meant not getting the bike delivered so quickly.
Had the Fazer ones checked at about 30k (due every 25k - again, they said they did, can't prove it) - they said everything was within tolerances. It's not a job I'm willing to tackle myself, so I just have to trust the dealers. Bike is over 50k miles now; maybe I'll get them checked again if it goes back on the road, but I don't think there's any panic to do it, to my knowledge these bikes stay pretty much within for ages. Usually.
Most bikes I haven't kept long enough to worry about it.

I think if I ever put a bike into a garage to have valves checked, I'd want the mechanics notes of the clearances measured. At least then you could keep a record of how they're changing over time, which would be interesting. I think not all bikes' clearances tighten over time, I used to have a ZXR400 which I'm fairly sure had loose valves. It was a bastard to start, and there was a fair amount of noise from the top end, both fairly clear indicators of loose clearances. I didn't have the mechanical inclination I have now back then though so I just ignored it Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest issue I would have with putting a bike in for valve clearance check is that on most bikes it's quite expensive (even more so if they need adjustment). There is a HUGE incentive for an unscrupulous mechanic to claim he had done the check and/or adjust without even opening up the cam cover especially on bikes that have a reputation for holding their clearances well past the scheduled check time and there's no way you could tell if they had or had not done the work.

That reason alone means that I would only ever do the work myself.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always makes me a bit twitchy when manufacturers specify inspections/etc that are a lot shorter, timewise, than many of their like-for-like competition.

Needless to say that my sphincter is proper clenching at the moment as I have meant to change the ATF in my pick-up's transmission ever since buying it - Toyota specify 30K intervals (WTF), I bought at 80K and it's now approaching 150K. Does it run OK? Yes. Will I be pissed if the gearbox packs up because I haven't changed the fluids? Yup. Could I blame anyone else for such an oversight? Thinking
Bottomline: Can you afford to pick up the pieces, without moaning, if it goes wrong because you neglected the builder's advice?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
The biggest issue I would have with putting a bike in for valve clearance check is that on most bikes it's quite expensive (even more so if they need adjustment). There is a HUGE incentive for an unscrupulous mechanic to claim he had done the check and/or adjust without even opening up the cam cover especially on bikes that have a reputation for holding their clearances well past the scheduled check time and there's no way you could tell if they had or had not done the work.

Very true, and with mine having 5 valve heads, it gets especially pricey. So many of this model come up for sale at the 25k mark - guess why? Big service with valves time!
I've done valve clearances before on multi cylinder bikes, stripped and rebuilt engines etc. But I'm just not interested nowadays. My knees/back/brain hurt!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:08 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Very much this. To be honest, I would hesitate ever giving it to a main dealer for this unless they said its fine to come and watch, but most of them I found find this a massive annoyance.

Local indie would be more inclined, but I dont know if there is BMW only tools they have for their modern stuff.

I would suck it up and get it done, then be less inclined to worry about it for a long time after having them set the first time.

You can also measure yourself, and if needs adjustment, book it in, if you are inclined, it a bit fiddly but nothing crazy. Only need to pay for feeler gauge, coolant, maybe a rocker cover gasket.

Ive had them done on my divvy and Sv, both needed adjustment around 30-40k with tight exhausts.

The whole 'modern bikes never need adjustment' is imo just a myth people tell themselves to justify not footing the cost for the service.

I do sympathize though, can imagine a eye watering bill for it...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Bottomline: Can you afford to pick up the pieces, without moaning, if it goes wrong because you neglected the builder's advice?

With mine it's not the monetary value of the bike, which ain't much. It's the mods that have been done (after 4 previous ones, this one is exactly as I've always wanted to get one of these) and, silly me, some sentimental value from all the places it has taken me and all the fun I've had on it. Funny, never felt that way about a bike before, but then I haven't done as much on any other bike. If this one lunched itself, I'd probably just go look for another engine. I actually reckon replacing that would be easier than doing the clearances, and cheaper than paying to have them done by someone else.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:29 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
There is a HUGE incentive for an unscrupulous mechanic to claim he had done the check and/or adjust without even opening up the cam cover

This is gospel. I paid for main dealer servicing on the only new bike I've ever bought for the whole warranty period. They even made me drop it off the day before so they could "check the tappets with a cold engine".

When I came to do it myself, it was abundantly clear the painted cast alloy tappet inspection covers had never had a spanner on them. Threads were dry, they were to "crack" off and there wasn't a single mark on the paint where a spanner had been. I'm very convinced the coolant and fork oil had never been touched either.

However, in answer to the question, I would definitely want to do the first valve check. Especially on a BMW because their QC seems to have gone down the toilet in recent years. You wouldn't want to get out of warranty THEN find a follower was eating into the cam lobes or similar.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

With mine it's not the monetary value of the bike, which ain't much. It's the mods that have been done (after 4 previous ones, this one is exactly as I've always wanted to get one of these) and, silly me, some sentimental value from all the places it has taken me and all the fun I've had on it. Funny, never felt that way about a bike before, but then I haven't done as much on any other bike. If this one lunched itself, I'd probably just go look for another engine. I actually reckon replacing that would be easier than doing the clearances, and cheaper than paying to have them done by someone else.

Even more incentive to check them yourself.
Checking clearances on some engines is a right ballache but not nearly as much as finding a second hand lump and hoping that it's going to last when you put it in the frame, bearing in mind that the trickier it is to perform the supposedly simpler maintenance tasks makes it all the more likely that the previous careful owner might well have skipped on a few maintenance intervals for the very same reason you did.

As for paying for someone else to do any work, I couldn't possibly say either way how expensive that'd work out as I've managed to avoid paying for anything except a crankshaft balance sprocket rebuild (just rebuilding the sprocket when I've handed the engineer the crank) and a crankshaft alignment check.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the previous owner didn't skip valve clearances because I bought the bike with less than that mileage on it. And with 17k on the clock at the time, it was pristine, definitely cared for.
I'd maybe give it a go if I had a fully equipped workshop, but don't fancy it in my shed. And for me there isn't incentive enough in the "look what I managed to do, all by myself" thing. Riding is my thing, spannering ain't.
I guess I just accept that bikes, if you're really going to the use them, have a finite life. I've had some nicked, crashed others, and just got bored with still others anyway.

As to dealers, a lot of them just seem to say no thanks when you ask them to do it. Better that than charging you for what they haven't done I suppose. Before I moved up here, I did use a mechanic I would have trusted - very knowledgable guy, totally bike enthusiastic, raced and rode on the road himself, was always up for a chat. Don't know of anyone like that up this way (although I believe stinkwheel mentioned someone to me a while back).

So why do some bikes have a recommended interval of 25k, and others are a lot less than that?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local dealer only include the valve check as part of the “gold” service, which includes “valve check and necessary adjustment” which is 300 quid up from the silver service. Willing to bet they actually do the check, but unless a valve or 5 are waaaay out they let it slide as it’s free money then.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:34 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

It's not a first service, it has nearly 15k miles on it, the first valve-check is due at 18k.

Personally I would want to get them checked. There is enough good information in this thread for you to make a decision whether or not to get it done, and where to take it if you do decide to get it done.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God, be happy you don't ride a VTEC VFR. A valve check requires removing the cam and inserting a dummy cam just to check the valve clearances; all that after removing the tank, airbox/air filter, throttle body, and valve covers. By comparison, anything you ride will be easier and less expensive.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a long and varied experience of messing around with engines,starting with my little 'K' reg Honda CB125S back in 1975 right up to my newest purchase,the KTM.On all of my bikes,the measurement and adjustment of the valve clearances I have achieved without any drama.It is what it is and I can justify every occasion.Luckily I have the right facilities and I make the time to do them correctly.

I have also experienced situations where someone I used to know took their bike to a bike service facility and was charged for the measurement of the valve clearances and where it could be proven that the work was never done,despite the issuing of a printout where the so-called clearances had been noted.The fact that there was a thick layer of road dirt on the cam cover of said machine that was undisturbed until it was seen to be so dirty when the spark plugs came to be replaced a few days after the service facility released the bike,proved that the work had not been done.

I bought my KTM brand new,straight from Austria and was still in the cardboard box when I got it home.Amongst other work that that I did to the bike before I was ready to put it on the Byways of Kent was to correctly grease many parts that would not have otherwise seen a smear of the slippery stuff at the PDI if I had bought it from a shop,so I set about checking many other items...including the valve clearances...where all four were found to be too tight.This from a manufacturer who proclaim that they are ready to race from the off.

My more reason purchase of a 1991 'H' reg FJ1200 for riding abroad on the Continent with Mrs.Fizzer caused me to check everything to the smallest detail,including checking the valves.On this engine there are sixteen valves,with the shim on top of the bucket,suggesting that it would be a lot easier to change any shims if required by using the appropriate service tool,which I was lucky to have.Out of the total of sixteen,fourteen needed changing around or replacing.This was not possible using the service tool,so it was found to be easier to remove the cams.This was straight forward and easily achieved.Subsequent shim changes have been much fewer than that initial occasion and still a lot easier than pulling the cams.

As for the Exup-R and the R1,both have required shim changes.That work is a lot more involved due to the confines of the frames,but still a job that I would not ask any bike service facility to contemplate.

Always have a 'Plan B'

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:52 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to find the 2 threads on the BMW forum where 2 engines, a few years apart, around 3000-5000 miles had valves crack and drop in.

Had another engine fitted to one of them, happened again a few thousand later.

Obviously they might have fixed this on later bikes, but another had a valve shim pop out and lunch the engine, apparently the 'front exhaust valve pulley' was noisy and then all of a sudden, lunched.

My GSXR is due its valves in 2k, it'll get done (by someone other than me) once I move, only because I don't want to fuck it.

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 11:48 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked my garage if my valves need to be checked. He ask how many miles and I said 115k, which in return said nah no where near enough miles! Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once tried to persuade a Honda dealer to check the valve clearances on the VFR....both the dealership owner and mechanic were adamant that every time they check them - they are all within spec. Basically - they didn't want to do it - even though it's work for them Thinking never understood that logic. The bike rode fine, but had done 24k by that point.

A bike I couldn't ignore was the ZZR14. Those things sound and run like crap after a while. The valves definitely needed tweaking every time it was due - and the bike required injector balancing every service. Valves were a pain too - fairings are a nightmare and the frame passes over the cams very closely...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:59 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do them myself .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4