Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MoT Test Fail But No Paperwork Issued

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: MoT Test Fail But No Paperwork Issued Reply with quote

How many times have you had your bike MoT'd and a PASS certificate was issued?

And how many times have you had a bike FAIL and a failure certificate issued?

Ever since my very first bike MoT back in 1975 when I took my Honda CB125S to what was then 'Boyers of Bromley',that bike failed for the absence of a split pin for the rear brake torque arm.At that time,the old boy in a white coat issued me with the relevant fail document.I found an nail in the gutter,placed it through the hole in the bolt and represented it.The bike then had to be MoT'd again as back in those days there was not the same retest procedures as there are now.

Since then I have not had a bike of mine fail...ever.

Just the other day I wanted to tax (VED) one of my bikes for the first of August so I looked up the registration on the gov.uk website and was mortified that several of my bikes had been failed for minor reasons like drive chain 'excessively loose'.The fact that I have never had a bike fail for that reason made me look at the MoT history of several of my other bikes,only to find that the same had been done on them and then passed on the same day with the same mileage.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

The only reason I can think of is that the MoT garage can be seen to fail a certain percentage of vehicles tested.

Always have a 'Plan B'

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, exactly that.

I've had bikes fail on headlight alignment but never been told, only found out when checking the MOT history later.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: MoT Test Fail But No Paperwork Issued Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
The only reason I can think of is that the MoT garage can be seen to fail a certain percentage of vehicles tested.

Why would they do that?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/855781/dvsa-mot-01-mot-test-results-by-class-of-vehicle_.csv/preview

(from: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/mot-testing-data-for-great-britain )

You could try ringing them up and asking why you see "fail" but did not receive any documentation.

Perhaps it's some sort of scam?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:38 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Yep, exactly that.

I've had bikes fail on headlight alignment but never been told, only found out when checking the MOT history later.

I had them swap a tyre on my bike, wasn't bad, just getting low.

They failed it on the tyre being less than legal, it wasn't, it was just old and needed changing...

Didn't know until I went to show that one of my bikes has a clean MOT history Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:39 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, had one failed on tyree tread when I'd actually asked them to fit them and mot.

It simply to raise their fail rate.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always take all of my vehicles to the same MOT tester and have done for years. I've only had that once - failed an old Golf GTi of mine on something spurious and then put it through ten mins later as a pass. I spoke to him about it and he just said 'got to fail some haven't I' - to which I responded I don't really mind as long as it's not on my nicer cars / bikes. The runarounds, not bothered - they go to scrap generally - but the nice bikes / cars get sold on, and prospective buyers love to play Sherlock with MOT history to 'get a feel for how the car's been looked after'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: MoT Test Fail But No Paperwork Issued Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

Ever since my very first bike MoT back in 1975 when I took my Honda CB125S to what was then 'Boyers of Bromley',that bike failed for the absence of a split pin for the rear brake torque arm.At that time,the old boy in a white coat issued me with the relevant fail document.I found an nail in the gutter,placed it through the hole in the bolt and represented it.The bike then had to be MoT'd again as back in those days there was not the same retest procedures as there are now.

Just the other day I wanted to tax (VED) one of my bikes for the first of August so I looked up the registration on the gov.uk website and was mortified that several of my bikes had been failed for minor reasons like drive chain 'excessively loose'.The fact that I have never had a bike fail for that reason made me look at the MoT history of several of my other bikes,only to find that the same had been done on them and then passed on the same day with the same mileage.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no failure target and anyone who tells you different is talking out of their hat - in fact, we are actively encouraged to pass anything we can, the phrase "if in doubt, advise and pass" comes up a lot.

The scenario you are talking about is known as PRS (Pass after Rectification at Station) where minor repairs can be carried out, then retested within in an hour of the end of the initial test.

This could apply to things like chain tension, headlamp aim adjustment, failed bulbs, or anything that's a relatively quick and easy fix.

The only repair you are specifically allowed to do during the test is headlamp aim, which is generally pretty easy on a car, but often less so on a bike, where adjusters could be buried inside fairings etc, so even that can become a PRS, simply because it isn't a swift tweak with a screwdriver.

The alternative is, we could just fail everything and leave you to fix it, then represent at a later point - lot of faffing about for all concerned and imagine how many threads there would be on here starting "B*&Tard MOT tester failed me for a blown bulb" Wink

My question would be, did you get charged for adjustments?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet i've got two MOT test mates who say that if you have 100% pass rate you are under scrutiny because a 100% rate is not possible.

So on the basis neither of those people will submit anything for MOT unless they know it will pass, they have no choice but to deliberately fail and then pass the odd one here and there to keep officialdom at bay.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Contrary to popular belief, there is no failure target and anyone who tells you different is talking out of their hat - in fact, we are actively encouraged to pass anything we can, the phrase "if in doubt, advise and pass" comes up a lot."

Same way traffic cops don't have a quota to meet, but it sure looks better writing up 100 tickets a month than 15.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
And yet i've got two MOT test mates who say that if you have 100% pass rate you are under scrutiny because a 100% rate is not possible.

So on the basis neither of those people will submit anything for MOT unless they know it will pass, they have no choice but to deliberately fail and then pass the odd one here and there to keep officialdom at bay.

Well, I'm not going to get into an argument, but my pass rate is 100% - 1 fail, over 5 years.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

Well, I'm not going to get into an argument, but my pass rate is 100% - 1 fail, over 5 years.

Maybe it's different in different counties and i'm not disputing what you say ( or arguing with you) just saying that my experience is different to yours. One is a bike MOT tester and the other does cars and light goods and one is in Bedfordshire and the other in Hertfordshire.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local chap here says the same and I've known him since school he has no reason to make it up.
If they have below average fail numbers they are more likely to have an inspection to find out why.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Shaft wrote:

Maybe it's different in different counties and i'm not disputing what you say ( or arguing with you) just saying that my experience is different to yours. One is a bike MOT tester and the other does cars and light goods and one is in Bedfordshire and the other in Hertfordshire.

My view is that this is a popular myth (proved by the fact that the OP and every reply here perpetuates it) which I also thought had some truth in it, until I became a tester.

When my course instructor made it very clear that a pass was always the preferred option, I questioned it and asked about the failure target that everyone knows about - I believe his response contained the phrase 'utter bollocks'.

You also have to keep in mind there are quality control systems in place, both ongoing at the testing station and spot checking by the DVSA (VOSA as was) which can involve unannounced visits, where they will check things like your QC paperwork and mystery shopping.

This has happened a few times at the testing station I am based at and not once has our bike pass rate (the other tester brings bikes in that have been serviced first, so he also knows they wont fail) or QC procedure been questioned or criticised.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some interesting responses to my original post.

Each of the 'FAIL' comments on the MoT history of my R1 and my Exup-R caused me to choke as I have never had a FAIL situation on either bike.Neither bike had a spanner or a screwdriver used on them to sort out the relevant suggested failures.I am one for going over my bikes meticulously before presentation so imagine my consternation when reading what I did.

I did have just the one advisory that I was made aware of the other year on my R1 and that was very easily sorted once home.But in my mind,for a bike like either the R1 or the Exup-R to have a failure noted on the system for an 'excessively loose drive chain' is unbelieveable, and especially by those who know me personally.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:17 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: MoT Test Fail But No Paperwork Issued Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

The scenario you are talking about is known as PRS (Pass after Rectification at Station) where minor repairs can be carried out, then retested within in an hour of the end of the initial test.

And occurs quite a bit actually. You can dig into the stats that the Department for Transport release, and check out all the (anonymised) results of MOT tests in the UK. I had a gander the other week at the 2019 states when writing this blog post:
https://www.beginnerbiker.com/2020/07/easy-motorcycle-mot-checklist-to-avoid-failing/
I found that around 7% of vehicles Pass with Rectification. An interesting breakdown of what faults are the most common failure reasons.

Of course the real questions, is whether there really was a fault, why you didn't spot such a trivial fault yourself and how much they charged you?

I got conned by a test station several years ago, where upon collecting my bike I was charged £20 odd quid to change a light bulb. A bulb I had double checked the night before and could seen to light up the test station on my helmet camera when I rode in...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBkfXp2AULU
I wasn't best pleased.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:08 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: MoT Test Fail But No Paperwork Issued Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

My mate is a tester. " The man " like to see rectifications which can be done during the test, so a fail and pass in the same test, a classic example might be a headlight adjustment, it fails and so is adjusted as part of the test. This is noted down in the data the tester enters, when he signs the test off, but is a paperwork issue, so you shouldn't get worried about it. Adjusting a chain is outside the scope of rectifications done during the test ( too big a job) and would require logging off, doing the job as a garage job, then relogging on for retest. Or something like that .

Section B para 9 of testers handbook ( found online)

9. Where the vehicle fails the test and it is expected that the defect(s) can be rectified within one hour the Tester can elect to use the PRS facility (see Abbreviations and Definitions). Provided the Tester has completed the initial examination before any repairs are carried out and the vehicle has been retained and repaired at the VTS. If the defects are rectified within one hour of completion of the test the Tester must then enter the results on the MOT Testing Service and issue a VT30 in addition to a VT20. If the defects cannot be rectified, for any reason, within one hour then the vehicle must be failed and a VT30 issued. PRS is a partial re-examination for which no fee can be charged and during which the Tester cannot register any new tests. Note: A Pass result must not be recorded before the vehicle satisfies all the test requirements.

So a v30 fail and a v20 pass are issued.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
"Contrary to popular belief, there is no failure target and anyone who tells you different is talking out of their hat - in fact, we are actively encouraged to pass anything we can, the phrase "if in doubt, advise and pass" comes up a lot."

Same way traffic cops don't have a quota to meet, but it sure looks better writing up 100 tickets a month than 15.

From what Plodstabulary have informed me (off the record).
There's no quota to meet or beat but they are durected to problem zones and sorts of risque behaviour on public roads.
Cnuts who get caught need an excuse as they werentndoing anyone any harm. 🤣🤣

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:24 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

7% PRS is not going to be testers doing things for a target. It sounds about right to account for all the fuckwits you see on the road driving around with obvious easy to fix faults. I suspect many of that 7% are just too arrogant to admit there may have been a fault they didn't see, so happily propagate the myth.

In the commerical world any fails or advisories have an impact on the Operator and in the extreme can put the CPC holder in an awkward situation involving a suit and lots of explaining. You expect 100% pass rate, though "Pre-MOT", are pretty normal, which is basically a dry run the day before, rectifying as you go along.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:12 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
7% PRS is not going to be testers doing things for a target. It sounds about right to account for all the fuckwits you see on the road driving around with obvious easy to fix faults. I suspect many of that 7% are just too arrogant to admit there may have been a fault they didn't see, so happily propagate the myth.

Don't know about 'the myth' but what I said happened to me is true.

Quote:
I always take all of my vehicles to the same MOT tester and have done for years. I've only had that once - failed an old Golf GTi of mine on something spurious and then put it through ten mins later as a pass. I spoke to him about it and he just said 'got to fail some haven't I'.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50221349302_f9482ba183_w.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50220479263_80a5a4f24c_w.jpg

There was absolutely no adjustment made - I was there - and that was the conversation that was had. Like I say, I was annoyed because it'd gone on without consulting me and I don't like a chequer board of amber and red on my MOT histories these days, given buyers will look it up first thing they do.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

There was absolutely no adjustment made - I was there - and that was the conversation that was had.

I think your tester just believes a myth himself. Though I'll still bet most of the 7% are fuckwits.... how many people you going to see as the nights draw in driving around with 1 headlamp working on full beam?...... those same people will present like that. My old man last week presented with rear brake light not working..... then belly ached at the fail-expensive bulb + fitting-pass.

Short of a written policy from the DVSA being shown (which if existing would have appeared by now), I'll stick with myth. My interactions have found DVSA are like a throwback to when we based an entire empire on making paperwork so fucking complex the world just capitulated. They are the kind of people that have a written policy on how to operate the toilet door and 6 people working to write a policy on how to use the policy about operating that door, probably interviewing for female BAME candidates to write another policy on the policy about a policy. The kind of people you could sell Volcano insurance too (with a Godzilla clause). If extra enforcement on high pass rate garages existed it would be on paper (211 times) somewhere.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar situation to 'arry, although mine was said in advance. It was a rat, he knows I give no fucks, the same as he does about my exhausts. He'll fail you in a heartbeat if it's even a small safety issue though.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to MOT histories on vehicles that I'm looking to buy, things like headlight aim, tyre tread depth and disc or pad thickness are things that don't really bother me as they're things that are easily remedied.

It's the long list of things like oil leaks, corrosion and EML lights that are there for years and are then suddenly gone for the MOT, that has just passed with zero advisories, that concerns me, especially when the car is then put up for sale.

There's no chance that all the problems have been fixed prior to selling the car, it's more likely that it'll cost a fortune to fix, so they get rid of it, using the common "need a bigger car" or "moving abroad" excuses that seem to crop up a lot.

Those that hide the numberplate are a big giveaway to a nasty MOT history, too.

ಠ_ಠ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1